Menu

If you were building your dream house...

Storage! It is nice when everything has its place tucked away and out of sight instead of sitting on counters and chairs because there is no place to put stuff away.

Two ovens and a well planned kitchen that enables many people to work and be in the same space without stepping on one another.

Window boxes or small private spaces to curl-up with a book away from the family especially if you share a room with others.

A family room large enough for a pool table or a ping-pong table and couches for movie night.

I'd also think about how indoor space flows into outdoor space, and I'd think about how people will flow through the house in general. What will be the traffic patterns?

Are you building soon?

Double oven. It was the one thing I absolutely love about my kitchen. I wouldn't bother with two dishwashers. For a large family, two freezers may be worth considering.

Toilets that don't clog. "Champion" by American Standard.

On-demand hot water heater.

An extra-wide garage so you have room to pull in without dinging your side mirrors.

Our washer and dryer are in the basement. Pros: if there is a flood it won't affect upper floors. Cons: carrying laundry upstairs. This is one to consider carefully. If flooding is not an issue I'd put the w/d as close to bedrooms as possible.

I agree on storage and closets and playroom. I like how the Duggers store their clothes: in a room on racks based on size. If you have lots of kids, then the clothes get passed down as the kids move through the sizes. Much more efficient than always trying to remember who wears these jeans, etc. So yes, I would have a bedroom reserved just for clothing. It may even be a large laundry room. ;)

what would you put it it, especially if you had a large family.

What do you think about two dishwashers? An additional washer/dryer upstairs in the kids section...

Thanks for your help

Only have a moment, but yes, most definitely, my next house will have 2 dishwashers. Dream house or not, dh knows that he'll be installing a second one.

We want a master suite with a hot tub and walk in closets. If we are really dreaming then we want to have an outside shower on the beach that we walk down the steps from our house to get to.

The kids would like their own rooms.

I do want the washer/dryer to be on the main level and prefer a stackable. I would also like a classroom/library.:001_smile:

what would you put it it, especially if you had a large family.

What do you think about two dishwashers? An additional washer/dryer upstairs in the kids section...

Thanks for your help

We wanted to do this at one point so I have a list in my head!

• Large mudroom.
  • Touchless bathroom!!! Touchless sink, toilet, hand dryer, lights, etc.
  • At least two different "main" areas, i.e., large family room in one area probably an open area near the kitchen, and then an away room somewhere else.
  • Washer and dryer upstairs with the bedrooms. Definitely NOT in a basement!
  • Maybe even all clothing kept in the large laundry room -- no clothing storage in the bedrooms.
  • We have seven kids and I wouldn't do two dishwashers.
  • Separate pantry with well-designed storage.
  • Radiant heat in the bottom level floors.
  • Someone said a double oven -- YES!

Okay, there are some of my ideas!

I find it very interesting what some would prefer and not...we have our W/D in our basement but we have a laundry shoot from 1st and 2nd level so the only thing I have to do is carry them up - I don't mind it much.

I WOULD have 2 dishwashers (we have 5 in the family and I run it everyday as it is).

A word for those building a house - DO NOT have cathedral ceilings (you will use up A LOT of unnecessary energy heating and cooling)!

We did build our house and there are already things I would change (we didn't have any kids when we built it and were naive about what our future needs would be).

Edited by kmacnchs

Oh my....

Huge kitchen island for eating and food prep with sink

commercial gas stove and double oven

commercial frig

Huge mudroom with shower stall for hunters, kids and dogs! Shelves, nooks, and storage like in Pottery Barn!

outdoor deck with patio fireplace off the kitchen as we grill often

Christmas closet...standing room for trees(3) and shelves for tubs to be organized on

laundry near master bedroom with storage, hanging area for clothes to dry and folding area

Dream big!!!

3 car garage, 1 stall for bikes ride on toys etc. Large workbench, tool storage. Separate outdoor storage shed for outdoor tools.

1 nice living room with no tv, usable for visitors, reading or quiet time.

1 family room with tv and enough seating for all (I was the overflow child in my family and always got bumped to the floor as the youngest).

1 library, quiet space/game room, with over-sized chairs and large desks.

1 teen age hang out room...viewable from most of the house

Kitchen with individual fridge/freezer, 6 burner cook-top, double wall oven, lots of counter space out of the main triangle (so kids can help but not be underfoot), coffee/micro bar so they are off the counter, pull out cabinet drawers, huge walk-in pantry, instant hot water, large window. Kitchen table for informal breakfast etc.

Large family laundry room, closet. Must have a window :0)

Individual kids rooms sized at least 12x15 so they can have furniture, room to play and a full sized bed.

I don't need a huge master bedroom but large enough to have furniture and some breathing room, nice master closet, nice master bath with a window :0).

3 public bathrooms if you have lots of kids. 1 with a tub that is large enough for the commode to not be immediately beside the tub. Tall storage cabinets in the bath so the towels are not below the sink.

1 mud room next to the laundry so dirty items can go immediately to the wash.

1 room for little kid play and toys.

1 wall of built in storage, bookcases, cabinets in every room including bedrooms.

A full walk-in insulated attic for storage.

Formal dining room with a table that has seating for my family plus at least 2 more, preferably 4 more.

Large linen closet near bedrooms.

Office for dh.

700sqft patio with cover to play outside on a rainy day with ride on toys.

Wood burning fireplace in main living area and master.

Dh would love a hot tub.

Area for a garden.

I would love a small greenhouse so I could start veggies early here.

Intercoms to the bedrooms, vac system, security system.

Great task lighting.

Outdoor bar-b-que area that can be a fire pit.

Covered front porch with seating for many.

A maid :0)

Gas heat with an electronic allergen filter.

A real guest room.

Not necessarily two washers, but for sure 2 dryers!

Laundry chute

Dumbwaiter to send things upstairs

tankless hot water heaters for every bathroom

gray water recycling system

solar panels on roof

bay window with storage in the window seat and other hidden storage ideas

built in shelves in every room

island in the kitchen with a prep sink so kids can stand (or sit on stools) on one side and I can stand on the other when we're baking together.

If building in the midwest, Master bedroom in the basement, tornado proof - so when we're all huddled up and nervous, at least we'll be comfortable.

and, most importantly . . . . a secret passageway!

Huge mudroom, with beautifully organized cubbies and lots of hooks for wet, drippy clothing, and areas for mucky boots to dry.

Laurie, living in the land of mud and snow.

YES! And convenient access to the laundry room, which has a large utility sink, from the mudroom.

My ideal setup would a lovely large, easily organized mudroom attached to a laundry room with two washers and two dryers. Space for hanging wet gloves and coats as well as "air dry" items from the wash. The laundry would also have room for or be attached to a large family closet.

Two ovens and a well planned kitchen that enables many people to work and be in the same space without stepping on one another.

A large, well planned and open kitchen. I don't want to feel secluded from the rest of the family in the kitchen. Double ovens are a must. I could live with just one dishwasher as long as it was a large capacity one that does its job well. A large refrigerator only unit in the kitchen and a well designed pantry with a large, built in freezer. (A commercial walk-in freezer like restaurants and stores have would not be out of the question if money were no object. ;) )

On-demand hot water heater.

I want this in my next house regardless of whether or not it's my dream house. ;)

Our washer and dryer are in the basement. Pros: if there is a flood it won't affect upper floors. Cons: carrying laundry upstairs. This is one to consider carefully. If flooding is not an issue I'd put the w/d as close to bedrooms as possible.

This is our first house with a basement and our W/D hook ups are down there. At first I hated it. But now I love it. I don't carry clothes upstairs. We made a family closet in the basement. Hence the reason I would put a family closet in or near the laundry room. Add a large laundry chute and I would be perfectly content with our laundry area. ;)

Edited by prairie rose

A large library with built-in, oak, bookshelves and a dedicated reading table.

I think this may be the only point of agreement between us. :D Though I'm also partial to unfinished cherry...

I'd like mine to be two stories, with a catwalk.

BTW, the "Not So Big House" books by Susan Susanka are wonderful for how to design space well. The houses aren't as big, so there's (ideally) then more money that can be put into making it a quality and aesthetically pleasing home.

I agree! We have used her books extensively while planning our house. People always think we have more square footage then we actually do.

I would have a room just for homeschooling, a large kitchen that everyone could cook in, double ovens, a walk-in pantry, open floor plan, I would put the washer and dryer away from the bedrooms so it doesn't ever disturb anyone but then add a butler (the thing that will carry the clothes up and down so you don't have to, I would want lots of bookcases built in rooms, several nooks for reading, a playroom for the kids (if I had a lot of kids in a wide range I might even want two one for younger and one for older), a sunroom right off the kitchen so on spring and summer mornings we could eat out in the sunshine, and outside I would want lots of entertainment for the kids like a pool with alarm, heavy duty cover, and seperate fence around it to protect the kids, a treehouse, a swingset, huge in ground trampoline with safety padding underneath, a firepit outside with a rock patio surrounding it so we could have marshmallows and weenie roasts. I would also want lots of energy efficient options built in. There that in a nutshell is my dream house. Oh and I would want all the bedrooms to be spacious too. And I need a mudroom now..I live in the house with only boys so i would definitely have one of those.

Edited by Kissy

Organized mudroom w/built in cubbies.

I wouldnt do two dishwashers b/c you can get the doubles now. I might do two washer and dryers, but I have that capacity now and would be just extra work.

Just like more space is more work. Key is to minimize space and use it to its fullest potential.

My dream house(already has plans) has awesome girls area. Two bedrooms w/just enough area for bed and walk in closet and built in desk area w/computer. Than on outside of their room is a whole bunch of built in shelves for school books and more built in desks, around the corner is open area loft w/built in for library and seating area. Oh yeah bath for each off of their rooms. This is all the second floor has. I love my plans, too bad its too expensive to build.

My dream house was built in 1978-79. I feel very fortunate that my husband and I recently purchased and moved into it! The design and layout was very well thought out.

Since many have expressed a desire for multiple kitchen appliances, I wanted to share a bit about my new home. It is a split level. The lower level is a large family room, 1/2 bath, laundry room and a 2nd kitchen. This additional kitchen has been the perfect homeschool room for us.

We built our "dream home" about 8 years ago. We have 5 dc--does that qualify as large?

Anyway, I have two washers/dryers. One is in the laundry room, one is in the garage. I'd do two sets of laundry equipment again, but it would definitely be better if one set were closer to our bedrooms.

I have two ovens, a 36" cooktop rather than a smaller 32". Those were both the right things to do.

I did one dishwasher, but definitely wish I'd done two. For that matter, I kind of wish I'd done two sinks. Think about where your kitchen trash will go. I started out with a trash compactor, and hated it, but I need a larger-than-normal-sized trash can. Make sure you plan for where your trash receptacle will go.

I have a walk-in pantry. It's roughly.....5x6. It's nice, but it backs on a wall that is the garage on the other side. I wish I'd made an entry to the pantry from the garage, and that I'd put the extra fridge/freezer in the pantry (instead of the garage). Groceries could be taken right from the car and put away, going straight into the pantry.

I wish that electrical outlets near the bathroom mirrors had been placed closer to the front edge of the counter, so that hair dryer cords wouldn't drag stuff off the counter.

I put a switch for the hall light outside each bedroom door--that was the right thing. We did walk-in closets for each bedroom--that was the right thing. The lights in each of those closets, and in my pantry, are sensor lights. They only go on when somebody opens the door *and* is moving around in that area. Perfect. Don't do it in the bathrooms though! When the kids are in the shower, the switch doesn't "sense" them, then shuts off the lights while they're showering. They weren't happy about that....:001_smile:

I didn't put in enough "general" storage, especially for things like bed and table linens.

We have an area that the architect kept labeling "breakfast nook", even though it's actually a 12x13 room that we use as a study room. It has shelving & cabinetry from floor to ceiling along two of the walls, and a bay window seat where the kids like to sit and read. All of that was pretty much the right thing, but I could've used another couple of feet in the room, and I should have had an electrical box mounted in the center of the floor so that the laptops we use at the table could've been plugged in and charging.

We definitely didn't plan enough parking spaces. We have dh and I, and now we have 3 teenage boys with cars. Counting my dh's work vehicle, we now have 6 cars routinely parked. I didn't necessarily plan very well for that, and it'll get worse before it gets better. I had 5 babies in 7 years. That means 5 teenage drivers within 7 years, and means additional cars/parking congestion.

We have a farmhouse style home, all on one story, and it's pretty long. I should definitely have put in an intercom system.

We did the central vac, an Electrolux, and truthfully, it's been almost a constant problem. I've gone back to using a regular upright vacuum. :glare:

One of our main bathrooms for kids has the sinks/mirrors/linen closet in the first area, then a door separating the toilet/shower area. That was the right thing, except that because of the tub/toilet/cabinetry layout, we don't have room for enough towel racks/hooks in the kid bathroom.

I put my refrigerator out of what would be thought of a "good kitchen layout", because I wanted it out of my way, rather than within my work triangle zone. If the kids want water/soda/anything else, they don't need to get in my way when I'm making dinner.

I put in a special counter section for my mixer/blender/baking supplies, and the whole thing closes up with what look like big cabinet doors. That was definitely the right thing, but it could've been even bigger.

We put in a computer station for the kids to use, right next to the kitchen area, so that I can always see the screen. That was good, but we put it at regular table height, and I wish it was barstool height.

I have kids who practice music, and while they are very talented, sometimes it's just too much noise, kwim? We wanted an open area for our family/living area, but I made the front room where the piano is into a room that, though it's very open to the rest, can be closed off with pocket doors. That was the right thing for us, ymmv.

We made the hallway to the bedrooms wider than it had to be, and I'm glad we did. It makes it easier for walking down the hall with the laundry basket on my hip, and it means that my big teenage boys (they and dh are all over 6 feet tall, and BIG!) can pass in the hall without bumping into each other.

Oh, and one more thing...when we were building, my dh (who is one of 7 brothers) said, "no sconce-type light fixtures in the hall!" When I asked him why, he said, "the football just always knocks them off the wall!" :001_huh: :eek: :glare:

Don't know if any of this helps, but it's the things I've observed along the way!

Question about Susan Susanka's books (Not So Big House series) -- I've been meaning to look at these -- is there one that is best to start on?

I like The Not So Big House, the sequel to that one (don't know its name), and Home By Design. If I had to choose one, I'd say the updated version of the first one listed.

Only have a moment, but yes, most definitely, my next house will have 2 dishwashers. Dream house or not, dh knows that he'll be installing a second one.

I told dh the other day that when our current dishwasher dies, I am putting in those dishwasher drawers. One can run while you fill the other with dirty dishes. I think the two drawers take up the space of a regular dishwasher.

**full, finished basement with deep shelves for organizing holiday decorations, keepsake stuff, etc.

**full laundry room, located adjacent to the bedrooms. I'll never understand the logic in laundry rooms in kitchens or basements. No one I know gets dressed in either place! This room must be large enough for a folding table, hanging bar and ironing board.

**kitchen must include a sub-zero freezer and a large pantry, prep island w/ sink with a disposal, full dishwasher for big loads and one of those drawer dishwashers for small ones. Double ovens. Fridge with French doors. Cherry cabinets, solid surface counters.

**master suite must have large, stand up shower, as well as a jacuzzi tub. Radiant heat floors.Sit-down vanity with make-up lights and a gas fireplace.

**den/library/school room with built in book cases, room for a large table, and comfortable chairs.

**fireplace in the living room

**kitchen and dining area are one large space, but with sliding panel doors to close off the kitchen if desired.

**baseboard vacuum system

**NO CARPET ANYWHERE!

Good question! I love the home we live in now and have very few things I'd change. It's a reverse ranch. All the formal living space and the master bedroom is on the first floor and then it has a full walk-out basement with the children's bedrooms, bathroom and family room.

Since we live in the midwest, it's nice to let the kids sleep when there's a tornado warning or other weather issue.

I love that you can't see our kitchen from our dining room. They are side by side with the connecting door toward the front of both. When we eat in the dining room the kitchen mess is totally invisible. We also have a large work island and an eat-in area in the kitchen.

I'd put a garden tub in the children's bathroom and add a sprayer faucet to any garden tub in the house. I'd love that for washing hair, dog or cleaning the tub.

I'd make a jack & jill bathroom downstairs. Toilet/sink rooms on either side with tub/shower in center shared room. We only have 2 1/2 bathrooms, one of the full baths is downstairs but I can see with 3 daughters and 1 son, the day will soon come when it will be lovely to have more than one toilet/sink room next to their bedrooms.

I'd love to have a gas stove again. I'd make it six burners given the option. I really miss mine. I'd also have double electric ovens, at least one being a convection oven. I really enjoy my convection oven and am saving up to buy the matching microwave/convection oven so I'll have two. I'd also have a prep sink separate from the big sink.

We do have walk in closets in all the bedrooms, I'd make sure each had a light in it though. Why would you not put a light in a closet?

We have 3 large storage closets with shelving and I love those. I like that they are centrally located and easy to access. I also love my laundry/mudroom with large closet and walk in pantry.

Another feature that I love in our house is stair lighting.

Oooh, yes! In my dreams, mine has one o/ those cool ladders on the rollers because I have so many books!

Yes, I have always wanted one of those. I think that when the children leave home, most of the house will be converted to a library. After all, one does not need two dining areas and two living areas when one has no children at home but enough books to constitute a small library.

Even for my "small" family, a dual-drawer dishwasher (each drawer accommodates 6 place settings vs an average dishwasher's 10 total) is a fantastic blessing. I hadn't realized how totally dependent I've become on my two drawers in the year I've had them till we were at my parents for Christmas and constantly waiting for the dishwasher to finish so we could reload. With two, you just cycle through! (And since we're a small family -- just four of us -- we save energy over using a single full-sized dishwasher.)

Originally Posted by pqr viewpost.gif

A large library with built-in, oak, bookshelves and a dedicated reading table.

I think this may be the only point of agreement between us. :D Though I'm also partial to unfinished cherry...

I'd like mine to be two stories, with a catwalk.

My SIL has a magnificent, two-story library with a "loft" area on the upper level. But she is not a book person! :001_huh: I told her when they built the house, "That library is sooo lost on you!" :lol: She said, "Can I borrow some books so it looks right?":D

I wish that electrical outlets near the bathroom mirrors had been placed closer to the front edge of the counter, so that hair dryer cords wouldn't drag stuff off the counter.

When we were building our house, I painstakingly went through each and every room and marked where I wanted the outlets to be. I also had specific places where they had to be quad plugs. (Next to each sink, for example). It drove my electrician crazy! :D

A very large, well organized storage room where I can store holiday decorations, out of season sports equipment, luggage and other things that people generally have put don't use everyday.

A larger coat closet. We have 6 people here and my coat closet is about 2 ft. by 3 ft. We can barely hang a single jacket each.

An extra walk in closet for out of season clothes to save all the packing away and unpacking.

A sun room and attached screened in patio.

A full size laundry room with a table for folding, many bins for sorting laundry, and a space for hanging clothes.

A larger shower with a shower head at each end and a small bench because hubby and I like to shower together.

Heated bathroom tiles.

A toy, games and puzzles room with a large table to construct legos and such and a glass enclosed shelving system to store completed pieces.

It needs to be one story so I don't keep falling down the stairs.

Realistically though by the time I move to another house all the kids will be gone and I won't need many of these things.

I haven't read the other responses, but I would definitely want a washer/dryer near the bedrooms. Maybe even in a main bathroom.

I'd want a dining room or eat-in kitchen large enough to keep a huge, expandable dining table or a big round 12-14 seat table with a lazy-susan in the middle.

Our current house has a wall of shelved closets in the basement which I LOVE! It also has a 5'X13' walk-in storage room which we use for our upright freezer, pantry, homeschool storage, seasonal storage, etc. (It was originally built as a storm shelter.)

Big windows that open and let the breeze through.

A front porch large enough to hold rockers and a porch swing.

Large trees for climbing and a tire swing.

Good gardening space that is easily accessed from the kitchen/main living space.

And most importantly, a library of some kind. Our house has a finished family room in the middle section of the attic and if money allows, we may someday finish off the rest of the attic - a library with french doors and a dormer on one side and a craft/play room on the other.

A larger shower with a shower head at each end and a small bench because hubby and I like to shower together.

This may have something to do with kids happening repeatedly. ;):D

We have a shower with body sprays and a seat, but I preferred our smaller one at our old house. This one is so much more effort to clean! We also never use the body sprays because it drains so much hot water.

BTW, the "Not So Big House" books by Susan Susanka are wonderful for how to design space well. The houses aren't as big, so there's (ideally) then more money that can be put into making it a quality and aesthetically pleasing home.

In my book that would be more money that could be put toward hiring a maid! :D

Fun thread!