Menu

If you weren't homeschooling, what would you be doing?

I know there are a few here who work FT and homeschool. But most of us either aren't employed, or only work PT. I'm just curious what we'd all be doing if our dc were in school all day. I know a lot depends on the ages of our dc.

Since my dc are older, I'd go crazy being at home alone all the time, but don't want to work FT. Along with my many volunteer pursuits, I'm toying with the idea of reinstating my teaching certificate so I could substitute teach when ds goes to ps next year. I think it would be a fun way to get to teach lots of different ages and subjects, kind of like hsing :001_smile: .

I work part time nights so I'd get to sleep during the day after a night shift. I'd also be more caught up on housekeeping. I'd go to Tuesday morning Bible study. I'd read a lot more books and go for runs during the day.

Lest you think I'm complaining, I wouldn't trade having my kids home for anything (well, most days anyway :-))

Whenever we're done homeschooling (either because he's graduated or we decide to send him to school), my plan is to work as a SAS (statistics) programmer for a bit until that drives me up a wall, and then go back to school for a masters in public health, either for epidemiology or biostats.

Before DS was born (and part time until he was six or seven), I was a database programmer, but it's the statistics end of things that I enjoy the most, and not the rest of it. I'm very very slowly working toward SAS certification, with the intent of getting DS to that point too if he's interested.

:D But, oh what I COULD do if I weren't hsing all day. My house would look a bit less like a hurricane blew through, my scrapbooks *might* be more up to date, I could bring my Stampin Up! supplies out of hiding, work on some projects around the house that just don't end up getting done, catch up on some reading (for ME...not hs books or kids school reading, etc.), perhaps I could actually SEE my friends more than once a year :glare: and I think most importantly...spend time with my ds5, dd2 and new baby (coming soon...I HOPE!). Wow...I best not think on this topic too much longer...:tongue_smilie:

Work another 2 days bringing the total work days to 4 then use the 5th day to keep house clean, scrapbook, read, etc...

Luckily my job hours are very flexible (I am a physical therapist in Early Intervention so set my own hours) so I could work them around kid's schedule.

Going to Wed. morning Women's bible study again and wishing I was a home school Mom again.

I've rarely had the opportunity to attend Bible study once my dc were school age. Even when they were younger (K-2), and we weren't so busy, it was difficult, b/c I was almost always the only hsing mom, and ladies' Bible studies aren't usually equipped to deal with any dc older than preschool age.

I would be working full time in an accounting area whether it is patient accounts or bank accounting. I do not like either area but I would try my hardest to get into a computer job (what I went to college for!!):glare:

OR go back to school for business administration (what I am really good at which I found out by accident through the homeschool group)

Holly

If we hadn't homeschooled, I assume I would have continued doing what I did before we began homeschooling. I spent extensive time volunteering at the boys' schools. I was there everyday doing all kinds of things in the classrooms, the office, etc. I think I may have ended up working at one of their schools eventually because I got numerous job offers as positions came up at the schools during the time I volunteered.

I would be thinking. I'm not a good thinker when it's noisy, and 5 boys=noise.

I would also read more. I can't read when it's noisy, see above.

I would catch up on my scrapbooks.

I might work part time at a place that interested me, like a bookstore or coffee shop.

But first I would enjoy the quiet, but I imagine that would get old pretty quick.

I would be there everyday. I would want to know everything that they were learning. I would call the teacher everyday and find out what she was teaching or I would be a volunteer mom. I would not just let my children go to school.

If I had no children, I would be working on my masters and probably counseling others.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony:lurk5:

I would be there everyday. I would want to know everything that they were learning. I would call the teacher everyday and find out what she was teaching or I would be a volunteer mom. I would not just let my children go to school.

If I had no children, I would be working on my masters and probably counseling others.

I agree! This is exactly what I'd be doing, that and thinking to myself, "I can probably do this better at home!":D

I would be thinking. I'm not a good thinker when it's noisy, and 5 boys=noise.

I would also read more. I can't read when it's noisy, see above.

I would catch up on my scrapbooks.

I might work part time at a place that interested me, like a bookstore or coffee shop.

But first I would enjoy the quiet, but I imagine that would get old pretty quick.

:thumbup:

I do work almost FT now, but if I didn't, and the kids were in school, I'd probably do the above, in addition to being very involved with my kids' school, more involved with my family, and doing more with the house as Needleroozer suggested. I'd also hope to volunteer, but I have too tender a heart and often prefer to give money instead :(

If I had never started homeschooling in the first place, I would be practicing veterinary medicine. I would have gone back to school after my 3rd child was born.

If I quit homeschooling today, I'd be spending much more time training the horses while the girls were away at school.

And I'd still wish I had more time... If I wasn't out working as a vet, I just know I'd be one of those parents constantly driving from one after school activity to another, all while trying to make sure the kids completed their homework assignments & understood their lessons...

SAHM, ever-present at my kids' schools, and probably going to school myself. My house probably wouldn't be much cleaner than it is now, though. I'm a terrible housekeeper.

I just can't imagine not homeschooling. It just fits with our personalities so and has provided so many opportunities for our family. I don't think my dh would be in his PhD program right now if the kids had been in school, and I wouldn't be writing. I never even considered writing as a career, and here I am. I'm still pinching myself, and it would never have happened if we didn't homeschool.

which is what I do now. :-) I love to teach and right now I teach two days a week at our school district's homeschool co-op. I'd teach there or somewhere else a couple days a week and keep up the domestic front the other days...kinda like I do now. :-)

Well, considering my youngest is 6, it will be a while until I stop homeschooling (barring any horrible thing happening which was mentioned on a previous thread)

I would:

Exercise each day (I try to do that now)

Definitely have more time to scrapbook.

Continue to be my husband's bookkeeper/accountant.

I would love to teach, but there is no way I could handle the kids these days, and I would have a hard time being diplomatic with parents who act like their responsibility ended when the child came out of the birth canal.

I would probably work in a library.

Spend time with any grandchildren I may have in the area.

Be more involved teaching the younger women how to love their husbands and children.

I plan on doing more of what I'm doing now. My kids are working pretty independently of me now, I don't think I spend more than a couple of hours with them doing daily schoolwork. I mostly just check what they've done.

So hopefully I'll be riding more, cooking more, and being a grandma. I haven't worked since before the kids were born, and I can't see going back, unless our world comes to an end.

I would still be at home with dds. If they went to school I would love to work in a library. If I hadn't gotten married right out of college, I would have gone to grad school and would have liked to work at a museum. I like sitting in a quiet room by myself surrounded by old things. :001_smile:

I would probably still be tutoring/teaching part-time and writing, possibly editing. That's what I'm good at. I'm not good at 9-5 employment. As an extreme introvert, I get tapped out very quickly if I have to be in contact with groups of people all day, every day. The results are not pretty. I'd rather work long-term and part-time, than full-time followed by a breakdown.

Since I still have little ones not in school, I would still be at home caring for them (gosh, that sounds so leisurely!! :lol: ) But if all of my kids were in school I would hopefully be doing more photography and graphic design work (or at least practicing a lot more during the weekdays towards that end.)

... As an extreme introvert.

Not here... your not! Funny, how those of us who tend to be shy in public, feel more comfortable being social butterflies here. I wonder what would happen if we were all in a great big room together? Would we most likely hang out along the walls? :willy_nilly:

Indeed, the internet is a haven for us introverts. Socializing is so much more comfortable and so much less exhausting online! I can take a break whenever I want and I never have to utter a single work aloud, and yet I can participate in such great and often silly conversations as occur here with such interesting people. What could be better for an introvert.