Menu

My heart is heavy. Asking for your prayers.

My mom passed away this evening. While it was not unexpected, since her health has been declining for several weeks, her passing was surprisingly and blessedly quick. I am numb, relieved, and mostly exhausted. I love my siblings, but I feel like I can't be "real" with them, so I have to rely on my IRL and cyber homeschooling family where I can feel and process grief.

I ask for your prayers for my family and for my mom's dear friends who were taken aback by her death. She was the one who drove around all her friends.

Ellen,

I am so sorry. You all have my prayers! :grouphug:

My father's death was just a little over a year ago, and similarly, he had been in decline. Nevertheless, nothing prepares us for the actual parting. It's so hard. I'm glad you have real and virtual friends with whom you can be authentic. That's vital in this time of heartache.

I'm sure she was a dear, gifted woman. She certainly turned out a lovely daughter in you.

Gentle hugs and sympathies to you.

As I came here this morning to find such an outpouring of support, I am moved with tears ... tears that I have not been able to express. My family (meaning my siblings) does not shed tears in public, or, if they do, they are tears shed with laughter. While they can be a fun bunch, I just don't have much of those little tears right now ... just body-wracking sobs and I can only open that door when I am alone or with dh and not the kids.

My husband has been wonderful - he has been taking care of all those little things that I am forgetting. He is a "do the next thing" kind of guy. He is helping me clear my plate of a bunch of things that need to be done so that I can feel free to attend to matters here. He is not a man of many words, but he is a man of action and he has strong shoulders.

My daughter is a love who wears her heart on her sleeve. We can cuddle and cry together and comfort each other. The dear child made me breakfast this morning - scrambled eggs with cheese and green tea. How did I get so lucky?

I am worried about my boys. They are much more like their dad - they keep their hearts deeply hidden. They are afraid to express their emotions in front of me. As teenagers, they feel that they need to handle things on their own. They are a support for each other - my "twins born 3 years apart:)." But I feel the need to be connected with them on this and they don't let me in so much.

My SIL came over this morning to help with the kids and to just support me since dh had to go into work and take care of a couple things. She was such a help. I assigned my kids the job of looking through my box of photos to be filed and find some of Grandma to display at the funeral home.

And now onto some of the more difficult tasks - calling my mom's friends. It is an emotional task and, although I love talking to my mom's friends, it will be taxing.

Thank you again!

I am worried about my boys. They are much more like their dad - they keep their hearts deeply hidden. They are afraid to express their emotions in front of me. As teenagers, they feel that they need to handle things on their own. They are a support for each other - my "twins born 3 years apart:)." But I feel the need to be connected with them on this and they don't let me in so much.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. My mom passed away Thanksgiving 2007 and it was completely unexpected. My younger brother (who was in his early 20's) still does not talk about it at least not to me or our dad. I wish I had some advice on this to give you to help your boys but I don't know what to say but to tell you that you and your family are in my prayers.:grouphug: