Menu

Which version/translation of the bible do you prefer?

Which version/translation of the bible do you prefer?  

1. 1. Which version/translation of the bible do you prefer?

• KJV
    • NKJV
    • NASB
    • NIV
    • NLT
    • ESV
    • ASV
    • CEV
    • The Message
    • Other

I voted KJV.

But...I like KJV to read, I use the ESV or NASB or NKJV for study.

I love the language of the KJV. No one else in the family thinks it's in English, although I'm working on that with the children. For now, I read to them from the NIV so they can understand. It's not my favorite version, but is is very understandable.

I'd love to be able to read the Vulgate someday and also the New Testament in Greek. Hebrew would be nice, but it probably won't happen, I found Hebrew very difficult to learn. Greek and Latin are possible.

I also like the Greek-English Interlinear NT for study, it's nice to have as a reference--it's like a cheater guide to reading in Greek.

Edited by ElizabethB

I like the NIV for personal reading and for teaching, but use the NASB when I want to know what the texts said literally.

I'm getting an ESV for Christmas and am really looking forward to it. I've only heard good things about it...

Others we have here are the KJV and RSV. They seldom come off the shelf - only when teaching and wanting to know how passages may have been translated.

For those that are interested, here's link to the various Bible translations:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=73521&sp=104481&event=1003SB|58674|1003|58674|1003

Scroll down a little bit and there's a great graphic showing which ones are the most literal and which ones are farther away. Some people might be surprised. I know I was when I first saw it...

Those who are more computer literate than I might be able to cut and paste the image (or is that legal?).

Edited because an attempt I made to cut and paste it didn't work... THEN I thought about the legality of it all and wasn't sure.

I have converted to exclusively using the ESV for my study and the 90 Day Bible Small Group I am in. I have been absolutely thrilled with the ESV, that I have bought the smaller Crossway paperback for taking around and then I have the beautiful ESV Hardcover Study Bible for home.

My Pastor as well as my parents have purchased the ESV Study Bible after my raves and after reviewing my copy.

And if you care to say why (nicely) that would be helpful.

One, because I've been reading it since I was seven, so I'm familiar with it.

Two, because it seems to use the widest possible vocabulary for the translation. When I've compared it to an Amplified Bible, I've been pleased with the nuances of the word choice.

Third, because I've used it for so long, I think it has fed my vocabulary.

A close second would be the New Living Translation, which might be even a touch better for situations where you are reading passages aloud. This is what I've chosen for my own kids.

Having said this, one of the best pieces of advice I've gotten was to read through the Bible frequently, alternating between your base translations and other translations (so for me that might be NASB, NLT, NASB, The Message, NASB, The Jewish Bible, etc). The point being that there are advantages to many different translations and that you also pick up different things depending on the state of your life at any given time.

I've even gotten a fair bit out of reading reading it in German, just because I see different nuances in the word choice.

Whenever anyone asked my dh, who is an Episcopal priest, what version he uses, I have to smile.

He reads the OT in Hebrew, and the NT in Greek.

I use NIV b/c I like the wording and I don't like inclusive language found in some of the other versions. Dh does make use of the Oxford Annotated in NRSV.

I chose NASB because its translation more closely matches the Greek words/meaning. I also like using an interlinear.

I read NKJ or NIV aloud to the boys, though, often. Sometimes, I even make my own paraphrase. Like, "Children, obey your parents because it makes God happy."

Edited by nestof3

For those that are interested, here's link to the various Bible translations:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=73521&sp=104481&event=1003SB|58674|1003|58674|1003

Scroll down a little bit and there's a great graphic showing which ones are the most literal and which ones are farther away. Some people might be surprised. I know I was when I first saw it...

Those who are more computer literate than I might be able to cut and paste the image (or is that legal?).

Edited because an attempt I made to cut and paste it didn't work... THEN I thought about the legality of it all and wasn't sure.

I can't get that link to work....anyone else?

Edited to add----Oops working now.

In my church, we use only the KJV. Besides the fact that it's beautifully written, I think it helped me have a one-up on other kids in school. When we read Shakespeare, I could read and understand the language way better than my peers, mostly because I'd been reading that sort of writing for my whole life.

I prefer the NKJV - just because my first Bible I was ever given ( as a gift from my late mother) is a NKJV. It's what I grew up reading, so it's very dear to me. Also, My Dh got me the NKJV "Chronological Bible" for my birthday this year - and I have to admit I LOVE that!

In college I used the NIV "Student Bible" - and I did think that was a bit easier to use/understand for study. Our current church also uses the NIV - although i have heard talk that they may start recommending the ESV.

I have several different versions. (NIV, NKJV, NLT and even "The Mesage") Which one I read depends on the mood I'm in. :)

I am surprised that so many use versions instead of translations.

:confused: I'm a little confused. Can you explain what you mean? Thanks! :)

I use ESV for personal reading and study as well as during church, though my pastor reads from the NIV. I also use NASB (pre-1995 update, but I have one of those too), KJV, and even NAB Catholic Study Bible on occasion.

I love the language and style of the KJV but prefer the accuracy of the ESV and NASB for study.

I voted NLT, but really that is just one of the three translations that I really like. I recently was given the Lutheran Study Bible, which uses the ESV, and it has wonderful, devotional notes. I have read reviews saying that the ESV is an awkward translation, but I have found it smooth reading. I got the NLT Study Bible for my son and my husband to read (and this is the one that I now read aloud to my children), but I find the simple, modern phrasing very helpful for myself as well. And then I have The New Interpreter's Study Bible, which uses the NRSV. This one has excellent, more academic notes, and I really appreciate how the pronunciations are included right in the text.

Edited by Melora in NC

Basically a translation is from the original language. Versions aren't.

Thanks for replying! :)

I'm not sure that one can just make that blanket statement. The ESV, while the V stands for Version, is a translation from Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. I think this is true of most of the versions mentioned in this thread. A paraphrase, like The Message or The Living Bible, however, is not a translation. So, I agree that there is a distinction to be made, but I think it ought to be made between translations and paraphrases. The word version does not necessarily indicate either one, so a person would have to do some research to determine if a version in question were a translation or a paraphrase.

I'm not sure that one can just make that blanket statement. The ESV, while the V stands for Version, is a translation from Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. I think this is true of most of the versions mentioned in this thread. A paraphrase, like The Message or The Living Bible, however, is not a translation. So, I agree that there is a distinction to be made, but I think it ought to be made between translations and paraphrases. The word version does not necessarily indicate either one, so a person would have to do some research to determine if a version in question were a translation or a paraphrase.

I wondered if this was true. Thanks. I'm even more curious now why a publisher would call it a version if it is indeed translated from the original language.

I wondered if this was true. Thanks. I'm even more curious now why a publisher would call it a version if it is indeed translated from the original language.

because that's one of the meanings of the word version (see second definition):

1.A description or account from one point of view, especially as opposed to another: Your version of the accident differs from mine.

a.A translation from another language.

b.often Version A translation of the entire Bible or a part of it.

In other words, version and translation are synonyms. When it's not a translation, it's called a paraphrase.

:iagree:

The link I posted on the first page gives a nice graphic showing how close each of the types are to the earliest manuscripts.

I have most of them in my house. I like to compare. :)

My favorites though are ESV and NKJV.

I love my brand new ESV Study Bible. The notes are fantastic and have helped me so much! We also really like our NKJ John MacArthur Study Bible as that's a new translation for us. DH wants the large print NASB coming out from John MacArthur this coming spring.

I too enjoy having many translations to refer to and different ones to use with the kids. We won't go quite as far down the scale to The Message though. It's just not for us.

I had been using the NIV, that was the translation I read when I challenged myself to read the entire Bible cover to cover in one year. That was a really worthwhile project! It gave me a feel for the scope and intensity of the Bible that I never grasped while reading just a scripture or book here and there.

I am now using the NASB and attending a BSF class. This is almost the opposite of the one-year project. I am going slower and digging very deeply.

It has been blessing both ways.

because that's one of the meanings of the word version (see second definition):

1.A description or account from one point of view, especially as opposed to another: Your version of the accident differs from mine.

a.A translation from another language.

b.often Version A translation of the entire Bible or a part of it.

In other words, version and translation are synonyms. When it's not a translation, it's called a paraphrase.

Well. Thanks. LOL I guess I am saying *I* would like to know up front if I'm dealing with translation from original language or something else.

I have an NASB study bible and my husband has an ESV. I think my children have NIV but I am not sure about the latest Bibles they received from church. I am getting my dh the ESV study bible for his birthday as his non study ESV is falling apart. We also have a KJV, and a version I don't think I saw on the list. It was a English (from England) and published in the 1960's but I don't have it near me right now and I don't remember the edition.

For a non-religious guy, I sure have a lot of Bibles. ;)

For literary merit, the KJV is unparalleled. And if one can find the hardcover edition illustrated by Barry Moser that includes beautiful typography and lay-out of the words, it makes reading the KJV a pleasure rather than the chore that cramped "onion-skin" editions often are.

For pleasure of reading as a story, with a perfect balance of reverent and formal language combined with clarity of meaning, the New Jerusalem Bible is hard to beat. Very nicely written.

The New Oxford Annotated Bible (NRSV). Chosen more for the annotation and commentary, than the translation itself. But the notes are highly valuable (to me anyway).

To experience a "Hebrew-feel" the "Five Books of Moses" translated by Everett Fox is marvelous! Fox retains not only the Hebrew names, but attempts to reproduce the "work-play" in the Hebrew original, and includes commentary and textual notes to explain his choices that I find fascinating. It is limited to the Torah/Pentateuch.

Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures. The Jewish Publication Society's translation of the Hebrew Bible. Well written, and clear.

The Torah: A Modern Commentary Based on the JPS translation, but includes extensive and thoughtful commentary by Gunther Plaut who draws on the great commentators of the rabbinic tradition. Really interesting if you want to understand a "liberal" Jewish perspective. Also limited to the Torah/Pentateuch.

Bill

:iagree:

The link I posted on the first page gives a nice graphic showing how close each of the types are to the earliest manuscripts.

But that link doesn't tell if it is translated from original language or not does it? I admit I didn't look closely at it---but I don't think it gave that info.

I believe the Textus Receptus is the Word of God (NT), so I only use the KJV. I avoid the modern translations out of both preference and conviction. When I was in the modern translations, I had little victory over personal sins and little realization of the power of God in my life. Just my experience.

I believe the Textus Receptus is the Word of God (NT), so I only use the KJV. I avoid the modern translations out of both preference and conviction. When I was in the modern translations, I had little victory over personal sins and little realization of the power of God in my life. Just my experience.

The KJV was translated not using the oldest texts we have. There are other translations that come from texts much older than were used with the KJV. Since I am all for going back as close to the originals as possible, I won't use it.

I selected KJV because I think it has more beautiful language and is more worth studying from the POV of a non Christian who reads it mainly for its literary merit. I understand that it is supposed to be less accurate, however given that I'm not basing my religion on it that isn't such a crucial point for me, and given that I'm not planning to study it in the original languages I'm not ever going to get complete accuracy in any case.

I have always liked the NASB because I've understood it is the best word-by-word translation available. Also many pastors we've had have used it, so familiarity is definitely a factor. So on your poll that's what I selected.

That said, I do think the NIV translations of the Psalms many time have a more poetic sound, so I like reading them from the NIV.

Also, since I got attached to the NASB, I've learned that the newer ESV is reputed to be a better word-by-word translation of the New Testament. So, I will likely add one to my home library soon.

And to make things even more confusing, I find that, though it may seem odd, often the verses most easy for me to memorize are in the KJV.