Menu

Add this one to the stack of tacky party invitations.

My son received a birthday party invitation from an acquaintance. He's a nice kid, but a young man my son does not know well. It would be quite a stretch to call them friends.

Inside the card are the vitals--date, time and address.

Also included is a Post-It note on which the boy's mother wrote, "(Acquaintance) would like money."

:glare:

OK, my snarky response to the parents is to skip the party and for them to just give him the money they would have spent on it instead. Obviously this isn't about having a good time with friends. Isn't it lovely when every social obligation is about fundraising? ;)

That actually beats out the invitation dc rec'd when they were 5 for a school mate's 5th birthday party where enclosed was the kid's registry at Toys R Us.

What are you going to do? Will your son go and hand him a twenty? How will you wrap it?

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, my. A 5yo with a gift registry?!

I don't think he'll be going. How would you wrap cash anyway? Maybe she'll just "pass the plate". :lol:

Oh my gosh...why doesn't she rent one of those phone booths with the blowing cash? At least then he'd have to work for it.

I love EL's suggestion...though I'd be tempted to get one of those fold out displays for the state quarters, and say, "How cool that you're into coin collecting!" and just play totally dumb.

My son received a birthday party invitation from an acquaintance. He's a nice kid, but a young man my son does not know well. It would be quite a stretch to call them friends.

Inside the card are the vitals--date, time and address.

Also included is a Post-It note on which the boy's mother wrote, "(Acquaintance) would like money."

:glare:

Buy a very nice card and put a penny in it.:glare:

Oh my gosh...why doesn't she rent one of those phone booths with the blowing cash? At least then he'd have to work for it.

I love EL's suggestion...though I'd be tempted to get one of those fold out displays for the state quarters, and say, "How cool that you're into coin collecting!" and just play totally dumb.

I like your suggestion!!:D:lol:

I usually call the mom and ask what sort of gifts the child might like but no one has ever told me "money."

:lol:

I actually have this problem this year. All my girls want for their birthdays is an American Girl Doll so for the family that has asked, I told them that the girls want money. However, we are not having a birthday party for non-family and I do think I would feel uncomfortable telling parents of the Brownie buddies that they want cash. We don't do birthdays for those other than family and the friends that are like family.

I would write back and say, "Does he take Mastercard?"

Pass the plate - :lol::lol::lol:

:smilielol5: That is hilarious. I love it!!

Another thing you could do is give a jar of small change, it looks like a lot but really is not and I think it would prove a point.

What's this world coming to?:001_huh:

First of all, thanks for this! I haven't had such a good laugh in a loooong time!

My suggestion: get a bag of those gold-wrapped, chocolate coins or maybe even some monopoly money and put it in one of those ATM play banks. It would be lots of fun to have fun with this one!!!

We went to a birthday party for a young girl who asked for cash instead of presents. She wanted to keep saving up for her own horse. It was a pretty big party because she had invited so many school friends... and then didn't want friends of friends feeling left out. I thought it was sweet.

Asking for money is normal in my circes nowadays, so I dont take offence. The amount is not specified- that would be rude, for sure- but actually I am relieved at sticking a $10 or $20 note in a card, rather than taking my precious time to go hunting for a present for a kid I barely know.

If you think about it, the mother might have been thinking she was actually saving you some trouble. Its a win win situation. And what kid needs more "stuff" nowadays anyway? Better off saving for something they really want that their parents won't buy them. My son just bought his own ipod and my daughter a camera with their own savings.

I don't find it tacky anymore. I did the first time. Now, I appreciate it.

I actually have this problem this year. All my girls want for their birthdays is an American Girl Doll so for the family that has asked, I told them that the girls want money. However, we are not having a birthday party for non-family and I do think I would feel uncomfortable telling parents of the Brownie buddies that they want cash. We don't do birthdays for those other than family and the friends that are like family.

If someone asks, it is perfectly fine to tell them. :D

To assume that someone is giving you a gift, and then to tell them what it should be when they haven't asked is what is rude.

I think it would have been better if the note was along the lines of "x is saving for y". I give gift cards to all my kids friends and they love getting them in return. They are usually saving for something.

As for the registry at TRU. When my kids were little I used to set up a registry for them. They did not know about it. That way when family or friends wanted to know what to get them I would just direct them to the registry. I don't like when it comes in the invite.

Some of the responses are very funny....

the mother may or may not be rude, but don't punish the kid for having a rude mom (or a mom with a different view of social norms).

since the boy is not a "friend," feel free to RSVP that your child will not be attending. You (and your child) are not obligated to attend every party to which you receive an invitation.

If your child wishes to attend the party, use the golden rule: treat others the way you would want to be treated (regardless of your view of their behavior).

I don't think a gift registry is all that bad. It could certainly cut down on the receipt of inappropriate gifts or toys you don't like/allow your child to have, but I can see the other side of it, too. In the end, I'd rather know that the gift I'm giving is something they want and will use.

As for asking for money...yeah, that was worded tackily (is that a word? is now!). You could always do what my son's friend did to him. He took coins of every sort, and paper money, put it in a loaf pan, filled the pan with water and froze it into a brick. The gift? Cold, Hard Cash! LOL

Other than that, you don't have to attend if you don't want to. But ultimately, it's the child whose feelings will be hurt and he most likely won't understand why.

To assume that someone is giving you a gift....

For me, this is the crux of the issue. Like the only reason you are inviting me is so that I can bring a gift.

Of course I will bring a gift. But I guess I am just stuffy and old-fashioned, I will never get used to people "volunteering" gift ideas if I don't ask for them.

Mastercard, indeed! :lol:

If your child wishes to attend the party, use the golden rule: treat others the way you would want to be treated (regardless of your view of their behavior).

Oh, absolutely. I have no intention of hurting feelings or being rude. Invitation ettiquite has been discussed here in the past, and I was just contributing my experience.

Other than that, you don't have to attend if you don't want to. But ultimately, it's the child whose feelings will be hurt and he most likely won't understand why.

Of course. We phoned our RSVP with regrets yesterday afternoon. I don't think the young man will be too terribly hurt by the fact that a boy he only knows in passing cannot make it to his party.

Asking for money is normal in my circes nowadays, so I dont take offence. The amount is not specified- that would be rude, for sure- but actually I am relieved at sticking a $10 or $20 note in a card, rather than taking my precious time to go hunting for a present for a kid I barely know.

If you think about it, the mother might have been thinking she was actually saving you some trouble. Its a win win situation. And what kid needs more "stuff" nowadays anyway? Better off saving for something they really want that their parents won't buy them. My son just bought his own ipod and my daughter a camera with their own savings.

I don't find it tacky anymore. I did the first time. Now, I appreciate it.

:iagree: I find moms, when faced with an invite, do two things: check the date on the calendar, pencil it in & immediately ask "what does s/he want?" because they need to figure out the gift & get that item on their to do list. While I think it's kind of tacky to put it in the card, I'm really thinking that she thinks she's being helpful to the parents of the invited children.

Also, as a parent of a child who had a birthday while "in between friends" I really sympathise with asking mere acquaintances. It's tough. The birthday kid wants a party & you can't have a party without people but if friends are in short supply (due to changes in activities , outgrown interests etc) then you need to ask pretty much everyone you've ever met - even kids you JUST very recently met at some art or sport class.

Oh, absolutely. I have no intention of hurting feelings or being rude. Invitation ettiquite has been discussed here in the past, and I was just contributing my experience.

Of course. We phoned our RSVP with regrets yesterday afternoon. I don't think the young man will be too terribly hurt by the fact that a boy he only knows in passing cannot make it to his party.

Then I wouldn't worry about it one bit! :D