Menu

How many books per family can you check out at your library?

We can get 15 books or other items per person. Since hubby and children have library cards, that means I can check out a total of 75 items at once. With the library open 6 days a week and only a minutes drive away (or a pleasant walk if we're not intending on getting too many books to carry), we always have enough to be going on with. :)

We can only check out 25. I thought that was a bit low, considering we read about 4-8 books per day. I guess we'll just go weekly and re-read some of them towards the end.

At my library limits are 25 items per card, but you can't have more than 5 of them as audio/video. I can over-ride that, but rarely does anyone want to check out more than that anyway.

Gosh, we seem to be on the low end. I thought our library used to be where it was like 25 books per card, but now it is 25 per household. Wonder if they would make exceptions for homeschoolers? Although, I'm quite sure the library hates me right about now LOL. I've paid for three books in the last 6 months that my 2 year old either ripped, destroyed, or lost LOL. But I DID pay for them LOL.

Would you believe - NO LIMIT!? Seriously. So, there's yet another reason for you to move to my neck of the woods. (Did you see the other post where I asked/begged you to be my neighbor?!)

I didn't see that post LOL! I'm off to hunt it down now!

At my library limits are 25 items per card, but you can't have more than 5 of them as audio/video.

Same here. We have 4 cards (all in my wallet) & when I max out one card, I just whip out the next. We go weekly, always on the same day of the week so our things are always due on the same day of the week & I can minimize overdue fines that way.

One thing I like is that recently they increased the # of times you can renew - initial lending period is 4 weeks & it used to be 1 renewal max. Now it's two renewals. It really means you can use a book for a long time which helps when you're using for curriculum ....

50 per person and I think 15 videos

fines can't get higher than $10

We're on a county wide system, so we can easily get books from a dozen libraries and inter library loan from anywhere.

We are blessed...so blessed!

25 would push me over the edge with all we read (different levels) for science and history...I'd be hot mad!

Same here. We have 4 cards (all in my wallet) & when I max out one card, I just whip out the next. We go weekly, always on the same day of the week so our things are always due on the same day of the week & I can minimize overdue fines that way.

One thing I like is that recently they increased the # of times you can renew - initial lending period is 4 weeks & it used to be 1 renewal max. Now it's two renewals. It really means you can use a book for a long time which helps when you're using for curriculum ....

Our check-out time is 3 weeks, but you can renew 3 times (as long as the item isn't on hold for someone else, of course).

We are on the border of 2 states and have access to two library systems.

Our Washington Library:

50 check outs plus 50 holds per person.

3 week check out

No fines, fees

renew 5 times on the computer, more if you bring it in for inspection (basically to show you didn't loose it).

12 Libraries, 3 book mobiles, almost 800,000 books/media items (not incl. online)

Once I mentioned to the children's librarian, that I felt bad for having almost 100 books out, she said it made the library staff happy to have the books used, improves circulation, and helps them get funding. They like homeschoolers here and encourage us to really use the resources :D

Oregon Library:

6 week check out for educators

25cent fines, no fees for ILL

16 libraries, numerous book mobiles, 2 million books/media items

We can check out 25 items per card, and both my kids are old enough to have their own cards, so that's 75 for my family. We never check out nearly that much at once. I usually let the kids choose no more than 5-6 books and a couple DVDs at the most.

How old is "old enough" for your system? Just curious. Our library system (Cape May County, NJ) encourages them at a very young age to get a card. So, my 2 yr old is getting his this year...My 5 yr old has had hers since she was 2.

We are allowed 25 per card with a 5 per card limit on audio/visuals. My son just got his first library card on Tuesday, so we can have 75 books out a time, if we need to.

While I love our library and some of it's programs, I often cannot get some of the materials we need. This week, we're doing Chapter 4 in SOTW 2 and the library had none of the books on the reading lists. It's frustrating.

Our library allows 40 per card (up to 10 audio/video), but they're very kind about over-riding that for us. They see my kids 3-5 days a week, and know how quickly we all go through books!

We also have library cards to neighorbing cities on either side of us (our small town only got it's own library about 3-4 years ago, so we've always had agreements with the other cities to share their facilities) - one has a limit of 50 per card (no limit on audio/video) and the other has unlimited items per card.

We have three cards at each of the three libraries. It's been kind of nice having a new hometown library - we've been a few of the small group of patrons who are really helping it to grow. We request new materials on a weekly basis, and they're almost always willing and able to oblige :)

Well, my library first lowered us from a dollar amount to 25 books per card. Now they've lowered it to 15 books per card. Along with a number of other changes over the past several years that in general tend to make the library a less friendly place, I believe their ultimate goal is to drive away the irritating patrons so that they can work in peace. Like most service organizations who no longer wish to be bothered by actually providing a service, I'm not sure quite *what* they're thinking, LOL, but that seems to certainly be what they're doing.....