Menu

What subject do you start the day with (rutlady)

I think I'm in a rut. Once my older kids hit high school everyone naturally started with math to get it over with. I'm thinking about going back to 30 minute read alouds or nature study, at least with the younger children, but I'm not sure how they will take to the change.

If you don't start with math, do the kids groan and resist when they encounter it later in the day or are they content to do it because they've had the chance to start their day with something a bit more exciting? My younger children aren't as enthusiastic about math as the older ones, so I entertain this idea with trepidation :confused: A few of the older ones thought math was the high point of their day, how I miss that.

With this being my first year I would also like to know how people start their day. So far I start mine out with Health. I found a Health book at the thrift store, so I use that with dd-3rd grade and ds-kindergarten. I try to make it as fun and entertaining as I can so we have a good time through the rest. I usually try to do as much as I can with both then go on to one on one.

Doniell

We used to (with one "student") start off with grammar and handwriting, then piano. All three are things she can do without me, so I did circle time with the boys.

This year (with three "students") my 8 y.o. will start off with a "warm up" brain teaser puzzle while I do math with the boys. Then they'll do letter practice and a find the hidden picture puzzle while I do math with her.

At least, that's the plan...

We do read-alounds a breakfast, so I guess that's kind of the start.

After that we start with Language Arts/reading. Ds loves Math and is always up for doing more, reading and LA not so much so I try and do it first when he's at his best.

We either go to daily Mass or read the readings from the daily Mass and the saint of the day and discuss them first. Our day goes a lot smoother when we put God first. Then we do math! Math just seems like a natural fit for the first subject, since it takes a lot of concentration for us and I don't want to shuffle it to the end of the day.

Edited by Asenik

I think I'm in a rut. Once my older kids hit high school everyone naturally started with math to get it over with. I'm thinking about going back to 30 minute read alouds or nature study, at least with the younger children, but I'm not sure how they will take to the change.

If you don't start with math, do the kids groan and resist when they encounter it later in the day or are they content to do it because they've had the chance to start their day with something a bit more exciting? My younger children aren't as enthusiastic about math as the older ones, so I entertain this idea with trepidation :confused: A few of the older ones thought math was the high point of their day, how I miss that.

Generally, piano practice first, then math. Doing those earlier in the day works best for my ds. He enjoys the piano -- math, not so much. However, it gets the math out of the way so that there isn't that "dread" awaiting at the end of the day.

We start with read aloud time. This year I'm experimenting with starting 30 minutes earlier and doing either music, art, or watching a teaching DVD before we get into the reading. I prefer to start with something less academic to get us focused and as a "come together" time. We are not morning people so it helps us both.

Bible first, then math.

I try to vary the day, so different skills (and parts of the brain) are exercised throughout the day, as opposed to doing all language arts first, then all math next. We like the variety and it keeps dd from going "floppy" early in the afternoon.

We start out with Bible and memory work. They have a list of things to be done before lunchtime such as math, grammar etc. and I don't care what order as long as it gets done before lunch. I float around and help whoever needs me at the moment.

Two of my students begin their school day w/assigned reading. They spend an hour reading through history and/or literature. This way they are ready later in the day for our activities and/or discussions related to the material. (We are using TOG.) My children don't groan when it's time to begin math which comes after the one hour of reading time.

In your situation, why not start with 30 minutes of read alouds or nature studies? It would be a sweet introduction to your day.

Bible and Scripture Memory and then we move onto:

Recitation of poetry, greek alphabet, prepositions, etc..

Reading Practice and Instruction for youngers while olders work on their monthly oral interpretation, and also Bible notebooks.

We then move to History or Science (alternating days) and finally...onto Individual Acadmic areas. :001_smile:

We start with math then do something light. What light is depends on the student, but math is always first. We are morning people and we need those clear morning brains to get though math best. My ds will read until midnight and both my kids will let me read aloud until my voice wears out. I save those things for when we need a break or to help us make it to the end of the day.

I start with either history or science (depending on which day we're doing that subject) during breakfast. The kids are quiet (thanks to stuffing their faces) and attentive, too. By the time I've finished reading and we get to the Q & A, they've finished eating and are excited to answer the questions.

By the way, we do our religious education during lunch with the same result.

This is our morning:

• Art after Breakfast... otherwise it won't get done. Then break.
  • Warm ups -- a Venn diagram puzzle, a logic worksheet, a word problem, 15-20 math facts (e.g. squares to 15^2, powers of 2, review of various formulae, key fractions to decimals and percents).
  • Read aloud -- usually historical fiction, biography, myths, epics, legends or folktales. This takes from 30-60 minutes depending on the length of the chapters (sometimes we do this while the kids are doing art)
  • Quick break while I prepare a snack. Snacks coinciding with starting math. Break immediately after. We call it The Aftermath.
  • Whatever else we have time to fit in before lunch (usually Megawords, sometimes Science).

Whatever he wants. I have all the books/subjects out for the day, and he picks in what order he wants to do them. So far math has been one of the first, to get it over with, but it's also only been three days ;)

:iagree: Just seems to flow better for us!

My 11yo starts with silent free reading. She can read anything she wants for 30 minutes. During that time, I go work with my 13yo. I used to just have a list of things for her to do, but she hated having to decide every day what to do when. She asked me to help her come up with a time-based schedule for her. That actually helped a lot in coordinating time to work with my other two.

I know what my 13yo starts with because I work with her first thing in the morning. I go over anything that she's going to need me for and check over any of her work from the previous day that I hadn't already checked. Last year she was using Kinetic Books for Algebra I. She did that later in the day, usually timed to coincide with the 10yo's math so she could call me for help if she needed it. This year she's doing geometry and requires a lot more of my help, so that is what we'll work on first thing while I can be right there with her.

I have no idea what my 16yo starts with. She has a list of things she needs to do for the day and works through it in whatever order she wants. She is NOT a morning person, so I do my best to leave her alone until at least 11am.

And we've done it a few different ways in the past, but generally we start with Science. It's his favorite, so it's a nice way to start the day... but also it's a lot of work, so it needs to get done early before time pressures are an immediate consideration. Also if I know it's first, I know I need to have everything ready to go the night before -- I don't make silly assumptions about all the time I'll have to prepare that morning (because that never works for me, but I'll fall for it every time!)

But generally we do:

Science

Math

Latin

History

(lunch)

Literature

Spanish

We had a kind of order when they were very young - Italian/literature first, then Math, then all the rest, in order they chose for themselves (which varied). I used to split my attention between them and be 20-30 minutes with each, then leave them alone for such a period. They work in different rooms so there was no distractions for the older while I worked with the younger and vice-versa.

However, at some point - 3rd/4th grade - they expressed the desire to give up the strict imposed schedule, and by that time their interests and preferences had crystallized so each one started with what they're the best at and love the most, while they're still fresh - so the older one usually starts with some language or reading, the younger one with science, and then they do Math together, and then the rest of the day they're separated again.

We have set times when I work with them, and when they work alone, and mornings are alone so it varies, but that's what I've noticed they love doing first.

I don't encourage "do what you hate first to get rid of it", I think they need to start with something they love. :)

I start with either history or science (depending on which day we're doing that subject) during breakfast. The kids are quiet (thanks to stuffing their faces) and attentive, too. By the time I've finished reading and we get to the Q & A, they've finished eating and are excited to answer the questions.

By the way, we do our religious education during lunch with the same result.

This is very appealing. I might just try that this week. Thanks :)

We start with math. I think this started becuase DD needed me to sit with her through multi-step problems so she would keep her eyes on the page...... now I suppose that's not as much of an issue. I still enjoy going over the concepts with her and checking her work as she goes, so I'm unlikely to change it.

In the past I have always just had a set list but my daughter could choose the order. The year we're going to try devotion, violin, writing All Before online classes begin at 9 (m/w= math, t/r= latin). After the online classes, she can choose the order.

Math is a treat in our house. My daughter loves math and is highly motivated to do it. She always wants to do it first and tries to dawdle until writing falls off the edge of the day. She also loves violin but somehow we have a less productive practice if it's later in the day. So, this order will be new for this year and It All Hinges on Getting Up On Time!!! ugh!

She is very motivated for Math, Latin (online), Latin (at home) and science, history. She is very happy to do violin, piano, spelling, geography, religion. She's willing to do memory (loves poetry/geography but does not love presidents, dates, et c.). She will do almost anything to get out of writing.

I've let the writing become an end of day sturggle or worse, I'm to tired to struggle with it, let's do it tomorrow kind of thing. This year I'm determined to change that!

My 6yo does

violin

poetry

math drill

history

read-aloud

math

copywork

either penmanship or composition

science

music appreciation

LA workbooks

nature walk

book basket

hands-on surprise

Then, he reads to me at bedtime. He typically likes math as long as it doesn't take too much time. Separating the drill from the topic work makes the lesson shorter.

My 15yo doesn't mind math either. He also does drill (ACT drill) early in the day and the rest of his math later.

HTH-

Mandy

We snuggle time/devotional time, then classic literature reading. Afterwards we do "brain gym" or whatever it's called exercises. Math is NOT, did I say NOT????, Not my dd's favorite subject. While I do strategically plan it early in the morning, I will move into Language next which is easy for her and she has a sense of ACCOMPLISHMENT! After the feel good from that I move in and tackle Math! Sometimes for longer math lessons or more difficult concepts to learn I'll break it up into 2 parts for that day.

we typically have a better day if I let DS choose the order in which to work. He knows to save work to do with me for either first thing in the morning when the girls are happiest playing and before I get sucked into some project or another OR to wait until we have a few hours to ourse;ves in the afternoon while the girls nap.

I think, however, that I am going to insist that one of his writing assignments be completed before lunch and math is typically done before lunch as Daddy has a look at it when he is home for lunch, helpos DS then with any questions and then DS has the afternoon to do corrections and talk with daddy in the evening.

We start with non-fiction reading; a neutral subject, or literature reading, a favored subjece. I found that if I started with Math (most detested!), it put her in a crabby mood all morning. I like the idea of starting the day with a couple of pleasant or neutral subjects, THEn the disliked subject followed by a BREAK to regroup.