Menu

"Different" boy names?

My family is coming to visit in a few days and my sister is pg. We thought it would be fun to sit around and discuss names. My sister is having a hard time coming up with something. She wants it to be different.

So far, her top names are Jace, Jaeger (pronounced jagger - all I think about is a certain tight jeaned rock star when I hear that), and Hugo.

She also liked Cassimier, which is an old family name, but her bf didn't like that one.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of any but wanted to pass on that the lead singer of the band Creed named his son Jagger, which I saw in a TV interview was after the liquor Jagermiester and not the tight jean wearing rock to which you referred, so you may want to pass that along.

It's not the same, but our old Cat was named Bailey and my dog is named Rumples (which was a nickname because her given name is Scrumpleig which many had a hard time saying) and a few of my hubby's friends thought it odd that 2 non-drinkers would name their pets after Bailey's Irish Creme and Rumplimens peppermint schnapps :lol:

My oldest is named Everett, which I've found many think is a 'Weird or Odd' name although I just don't see that.:confused:

Edited by nukeswife

I love thinking of baby names!

For different:

Nolan, Kenyan, Landon, Bryson, Silas, Pierce, Blaze, Grayson, Archer, Field, Remus, Prosper, Weston, Slate, Phoenix, Orion, Cobalt, Legend, Strider, Ryland, Memphis.... gotta go, be back with more later!

I LOVE baby names! :D

I thought that "Jaeger" was a surname. (e.g. Werner Jaeger, the historian)

Casimir (spelled differently from what you posted) is a Polish man's name.

Does your sister want the name to be "different" -- as in a "real" name, just one not often used. . . ?

Edited by Orthodox6

If I saw the name Jaeger, I'd assume it was pronounced "Yayger", not "jagger". It's a cool name either way.

Names to avoid: Anything rhyming with Aiden, because those names are extremely popular the last ten years or so

Other possible places to look:

Favorite works of fiction and literature--Anakin and Vanyel are both high on my list of names I'd give a boy, along with quite a few from Tolkien (which could readily become a theme).

Surnames from maternal lines in your family

Geography

The natural world around you--common names of animals, plants, etc. (e.g., Rowan, Wolf, etc.) Also looking at names for such in other languages you've an affinity for.

I am a fanatic for names - love this discussion!

We are pregnant and if we have a boy his name will be Graeme (British spelling of Graham) but my true favorite boy's name is Sullivan. I don't know how "different" those are, but just wanted to share.

My dh recently went to France on business, and on the flight home he sat next to a woman who turned out to be the wife of the lead singer of the band Korn. Anyway, they have two sons named Pirate and Zeppelin!

Wow. This is so fun it's making me want another baby!

So far out of what is posted I really like Atticus, Sullivan, Weston, and Fielding.

I think the online databases will provide hours of fun :)

And I think she's open to anything (established name or new name).

Keep posting!

Toss the baby names book and pull out a good old atlas instead. Surely there will be all kinds of old town and city names that are terrific name possibilities. Then they can enjoy a family vacation! A friend of ours named her son after an old French town that her dh drove by often on his work commute. It's unusual and appreciated by those who hear it.

Also, once she finds one that sounds good, she should look up the meaning of the name... wouldn't want a cool-sounding name to backfire because it has an undesirable meaning.

We didn't know the gender prior to the delivery (#1 we didn't want to know and #2 didn't cooperate). Our boy names were going to be:

Samuel Adams (after the patriot, not the beer, however, it sure left things wide open for a GREAT baby announcement, huh?)

William Oliver (after the grandparents)

Sven

Gunnar

girls were so much easier for us to think up, and we didn't even decide until we saw their little faces looking back at us :)

My family is coming to visit in a few days and my sister is pg. We thought it would be fun to sit around and discuss names. My sister is having a hard time coming up with something. She wants it to be different.

So far, her top names are Jace, Jaeger (pronounced jagger - all I think about is a certain tight jeaned rock star when I hear that), and Hugo.

She also liked Cassimier, which is an old family name, but her bf didn't like that one.

Any suggestions?

You've gotten so many good suggestions - I just wanted to ditto someone else's post that Jaeger will almost certainly be pronounced Yay-ger. Which would get to be annoying as the child grows up (to him, at least, lol) having to correct every single person.

I ♥ unusual boy names - but when we had a son? We named him James Matthew. :D Both are family names (his great-grandpa and my dh), but if we had another son (we're sort of out of family names that I love), I'd probably be a bit more imaginative. lol

Old Surnames make great boy names.... Flannigan, Hannity, Bailey, Kaylor, Mayner, Lee, Jackson, Smith, etc. Look at the names of families in the babies family tree & draw inspiration.

I love Angus for a boy but was never brave enough to use it. Also love Duncan & Colin... but I have an ancestry that ties to Scotland.

These aren't heard on every corner but aren't as "different" as Dwizzle.

Oh, several nice young men in our area are named WILSON.

We know a Kinson, Fletcher, Zane, Keenan, Dalton, Benett, a few Mason's, and a Micah.

I have a Bennett, I've only met two others so far. My nephew is named with his mother's maiden name McCarty and they call him Mac.

My son's name is Garon. We get so many compliments on it. It's an Old French name.

The Everything Baby Names book has all kinds of different names in it - I'd pull some for you if I had it here, but a friend is borrowing it. Dh is more conservative so I was able to get Garon and Nolan for my boys. I've always loved Landon, Finn, Dayton, Dalton, and Ewen. But he wouldn't budge.:)

I haven't read any of the replies, so sure I am repeating some and not sure how unusual they are, but a few of my favorite boy names are:

Grayson (NN Gray)

Tobias

Rhys (Welsh spelling -- pronounced Reece)

Adrian

Leo

Giovanni

Sebastian

Pascal

Paxton

Dallin

Xavier

Quinn

Spencer

Josiah

Miguel

Dane

Noel (pronounced no-ull)

Micah

Sergio

Wyatt

Joel

Finn or Finnian

Tiernan

Griffin

Rory

Asher

Killian

Fabian

My 2 year olds name is Atticus (and we got all sorts of compliments on his name) and we are thinking of naming our due-in-October son Ephraim.

Finally, someone else who likes the name Ephraim!!! We were going to use this with DD#1 had she been a boy (she's five now). Then our second child was a girl as well, so we havent been able to use it LOL. But we were going to spell it Ephram. Seems everyone I mention it to does not care for it, but I love it.

We love "different" names too. Our daughters are Paisley and Sailor.

My son's name is Callum, we've only met one other- hiking up Stone Mountain of all places! We get a lot of "Kay-lum"s, but its pronounce just as written- "Cal-lum". I also have a friend who named her first son Ephraim, which we thought was going to be wierd. Its very normal and cute now!

Have you thought of family last names as a first or middle. Not only is this a great way to pay your respects to the various family names, but you also get a different sound when using it as a first or middle. My step-brother's middle name for instance is Parks (his mother's maiden name) ....I love it! :)