Menu

How many miles does your car have?

I have a Subaru Forester that is 8 years old and has 90,000 miles. I am just beginning to see strange lights come on that I am sure in the near future are going to cost me money.

I am thinking of waiting till January 2010 and buying a 2009 Subaru Forester. I always buy last years model in whatever color to save money.

On the one hand I want a car with significantly lower mileage (we drive a lot) and newer airbags, safety features, etc.

On the other hand I think the car is in fairly good shape and maybe it will reach 150,000 or more miles before I get rid of it.

I have never had a car with this many miles on it so this is all new to me.

Any thoughts?

We have a lifetime of experience with Hondas and Toyotas, but I can't speak to Subaru. My 9 year old Honda Odyssey van has 250,000 miles on it, and I expect to drive it another year. My dd just sold her 13 year old Toyota Camry (cheap) with 250,000 miles on it and bought a 7 year old Honda Accord with 210,000. We also bought a 10 year old Honda Civic for my other dd with 200,000 miles on it.

These are cars that will run for many miles with no major repairs. I think of a used Honda with under 100,000 miles on it as being a fairly low mileage car.

Beth

1984 Volvo 240 GL around 275,000 and still going strong with no issues. :D

Before that, I had a 72 Mercedes with over 500,000 miles. Don't know how many exactly because the speedometer quit working and then the transmission finally died.

We have a 94 Nissan Quest van with over 230,000 miles. We spent some money on replacing the radiator and getting the system flushed because the previous owner never did that. It kept overheating and we couldn't use the A/C. Very bad in the summer in Arizona! But now that we got that problem fixed, it runs great. We bought it last year for a few hundred dollars from the RV dealership where dh works. Dh said he never would have even considered it but since it was a Nissan, he bought it.

My '97 Toyota Camry has 149,000 miles on it. I'm hoping to make it to 250,000! I just put a lot of money into it...and am reminding myself, repairs are cheaper than payments! It needed new power steering pump and rack, and brakes.

We're going through this right now too. We have a 2000 Chevy Venture with 102,000 miles on it. I was hoping it would last another 2 - 3 years. Last Christmas time (why do these things always happen then?) we had to put $1000 in to it. Ugh. But, if those repairs last us until Sept/Oct, it's less than $100/month. Much less than a car payment. Plus, we dropped collision a long time ago, so we're saving a ton of money that way.

I do have a bit of a hard time waiting when I see all the safety features of the newer cars. Ours doesn't have the airbags in the back seats. Makes me a bit nervous!

Our last car was a 1989 Volvo stationwagon. That thing had 175,000 miles on it when we sold it. I still see it around!

My '97 Toyota Camry has 149,000 miles on it. I'm hoping to make it to 250,000! I just put a lot of money into it...and am reminding myself, repairs are cheaper than payments! It needed new power steering pump and rack, and brakes.

I'm not so sure that repairs are cheaper than payments.

The last time I financed I paid around $300/month. So if I have to put $3000 into the car thats nearly a years worth of payments on a new car.

Lots to think about.

We're going through this right now too. We have a 2000 Chevy Venture with 102,000 miles on it. I was hoping it would last another 2 - 3 years. Last Christmas time (why do these things always happen then?) we had to put $1000 in to it. Ugh. But, if those repairs last us until Sept/Oct, it's less than $100/month. Much less than a car payment. Plus, we dropped collision a long time ago, so we're saving a ton of money that way.

I do have a bit of a hard time waiting when I see all the safety features of the newer cars. Ours doesn't have the airbags in the back seats. Makes me a bit nervous!

Our last car was a 1989 Volvo stationwagon. That thing had 175,000 miles on it when we sold it. I still see it around!

I am 99% sure my car only has front airbags and my precious cargo is riding in the back with no airbags.

I should look into when it is worth dropping collision or reducing the amount. Off to call Geico!

I'm not so sure that repairs are cheaper than payments.

The last time I financed I paid around $300/month. So if I have to put $3000 into the car thats nearly a years worth of payments on a new car.

Lots to think about.

It's not the payments that kill me. It's the outrageous property taxes (that will surely go up in this climate) and higher insurance I'd have to pay on a new car. Also, I'd have to park in a faraway spot to avoid the door-dings for the first year or two...lol

K

owner of a 92 Civic w/ 140,000 + miles

89 Accord w/ 200,000 +

03 CR-V w 40,000

FWIW, husband sell Honda parts and works on Honda's on the side so I don't have the labor cost most people have.

Edited by NicksMama-Zack's Mama Too

2004 Ford Expedition 103,500 miles. We are waiting to get moved into our new home and I will get a Ford Flex. Dh truck is a 2006 Ford F150 with 80,000 and he will be getting a Dodge Dually Resistol edition. All int he next 6 months HOPEFULLY. I prefer to have vehicles with 100% coverage on warranty.

Our Volvo has 180,000 - it had 112,000 when we bought it. (It is having an issue right now, though.)

Our Odyssey only has about 50,000, but it's an '05.

We replaced the engine on the Suburban at 72,000. :glare: The alternator before that, the radiator between them...

While the Volvo is having its meltdown, my husband is driving my BIL's Jeep, that used to be mine. It has 130,000 on it, and the original clutch, despite my putting 110,000 on it commuting through DC/NoVA and my eldest learning to drive a manual shift on it. I love that Jeep. :001_wub:

I drive a 1996 Town & Country Mini-Van with 183,000 miles. We bought it used w/ about 105,000 miles on it 7 years ago. The only major repair it has needed was a new "brain" which was about $600. It has needed minor repairs; belts, water pump etc. but luckily my DH can do all those types of repairs. I would drive it till it dies but we are going to outgrow it come October. :D

Our older surburban is a 1999 and has 175,000 miles on it and is still going strong. Today we purchased a newer, to us, 2005 suburban with 25,100 miles on it. I hope it last as long as our other suburbans.

God bless,

Vicki

1993 Dodge Shadow with 195,000 miles-ish on it...We bought it roughly 18months ago and it had like 145,000 on it to start with...

It has taken us from Indiana to Iowa (500-600 mile drive each way) round trip twice and then obviously again to get us here...It needs *something* fixed but we can't figure it out...We hope to keep it for a bit longer though...

The Ford Expedition (12 yrs. old) has 193,000, and we have had nary a problem with it, so we let our 17 yos drive it. When our 14 yos gets his license, he will drive it, too. It has been such a great car!

We bought a Toyota Sequoia last June, and it has about 10,000 miles on it. We will probably keep it forever, or until it dies, or until my husband decides to downsize. (I went shopping for a Prius, my hubby bought a Sequoia.) :001_smile:

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage 150,000 miles. We bought this new and have only done tires and oil changes. Wonderful car even if it is small and starting to look worn.

2002 Olds Bravada 100,450 miles as of today. Needs tires and just put in $400 in a repair. Still cheaper than monthly payments so we won't be changing yet.

Yes, but, you would NEVER have to put 3,000 A YEAR for 7 years into repairs. Repairs are cheaper than new.

Don't you ever think about the new safety features?

I remember an interview many years back with an emergency room doctor. And he said he wished parents would buy their kids the new car and the parents drive the old one. That the kids need as many new safety features as possible.

While I am not a kid anymore, I am concerned about not having the newest safety features.

We buy used cars because we don't like car payments. :D 2001 GMC Jimmy with 157k miles. It had 80k when we bought. No major repairs, just maintenance.

My dh just bought a 2002? Chevy Silverado for 5k, it had 140k or something on it. It looks in mint condition. He's put about 1k into repairs, but still cheaper than payments.

We're hoping to save the Jimmy for ds to drive.

Just bought an 07 Hyundai Entourage minivan w/43k miles. I'm in love :001_wub: with it's space and features and most of all the safety features.

Going to sell the 96 Explorer I was driving. 125k miles. Last year we replaced the transmission for $2500 and the year before that about $1400 in brakes. Right now it has major electrical gremlins. Overall a pretty good car, but good riddance. We bought it about 4 years ago for $4500, so when you add the repairs...:glare:

DH drives his mom's (we borrowed when gas prices spiked and she doesn't drive it) 94 Honda Civic hatchback (it's white and we call it "the egg" :lol:) with - get this - are you ready - remember it's a 94 - 25k miles. She was very literally the "little old lady that drove it to church"!:D

Oh, and he has a 1966 Mustang w/95k miles but you don't really count the miles on a classic!

:auto:

I guess I don't drive much, LOL.

That's high mileage for me. My '04 Trailblazer only has 16,000. Now that's not driving much. I suppose that's a good thing though considering the price of gas the past few years.

On the other hand, I noticed tonight that Dh Volvo has over 250,000.

Guest janainaz

We have a Chevy Malibu that has 106,000 miles on it now. It still looks great and I will drive that car until the wheels fall off of it.

When we do replace it, I will buy a used Toyota or Honda for $5,000 and never have a car payment.

I'm a big fan of Honda Accords--have owned three of them. One we sold that had over 150,000 miles on it--it was in mint condition. Hated to sell it, but we needed a minivan (yuck!). We got top dollar, too! Accords have a very high resale value. As much as I hate driving a minivan, our Caravan is a model year 2000 and has about 114,000. We've had no problems with it. My husband currently drives a 2001 Accord that has 130,000 miles on it. We bought it used two years ago when the Altima he was driving (given to us by my sister) died. It is in awesome condition and I expect it to last for many more years. My first Accord went over 250,000 and was still running strong when I got rid of it.

Honestly, I hate having a car payment. We just try to buy reliable models and drive them 'til they die or when repairs cost so much it doesn't make sense to keep it.

I have an 05 Town and Country with 38200 miles on it. It runs great and has had no major problems (other than the DVD player that we had replace-to the kids this was major LOL) but I hate the darn thing. I'm not a fan of minivans, but none of the cars I like will fit 3 carseats. I had a Forrester that I traded in for this one and loved that car.

My dh has an 05 Honda Civic Hybrid that has about 32000 on it. He's gone for 6 months at a time for deployment so that helps keep milage down some but when we go out without the kids it's the hybrid all the way.

Okay, maybe I am just a spoiled brat. I like driving a new car. Mine is 5 years old and I am SICK of it. I need a new one with new features (like the Sync system that makes me drool).

I'm a spoiled brat too. I am driving a 2000 Windstar with only 74,000 miles and I'm planning to trade it in on a new Chevy Traverse within the next month or so. Our payment will work out to be a little over $300 a month if we get a FWD LS version.

In my defense, I do live in Michigan where a car that age is usually becoming a rust bucket (and mine is). My kids are also getting bigger and need more legroom.

Dh's car is a 2008 Mercury Sable with 34,000 (highway) miles. I drove it today and he took the minivan to work. It even still smells like a new car. (Mmmm! :D)

All three (no wait! Four--there's a '74 MG Midget on blocks in the shed) cars have over 100,000 miles on them.

We drive them until they die. We fix them until it's cheaper to buy a used car. We like to hang on to our money as much as possible. It's often cheaper to fix an old car vs buying a new one.

We have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with 130,000 miles on it, my dh has a 1999 Ford F-150 pick-up and I don't know how many miles are on it - a lot.

We are in the process of looking for something else to buy. I drive 45 minutes a day one way to take one daughter to dance, and another 45 minutes a day in another direction to take dd #2 to gym, not to mention driving the boys to their activities - that's Monday through Friday.

I need something that gets good gas mileage. We have just started looking so I'm not sure what that will be. I think we are going to give the Tahoe to 16yo ds when he turns 17 (we don't allow driving much until then).

I am 99% sure my car only has front airbags and my precious cargo is riding in the back with no airbags.

I should look into when it is worth dropping collision or reducing the amount. Off to call Geico!

:confused: Why then the warning to not let children ride in the front seat with airbags until they weigh 100 lbs? I thought airbags killed or seriously injured children. :confused:

We just got rid of our Odyssey with 192K on it. My dh's accord has 275K. After I had dd#1 I sold my Acura to my boss with 130K. He then sold it when it got to 220K.

DH's current subaru has 140K with no problems. Just Maintenence issues. We bought it with 100K. We just bought a Sequoia with 84K.

We have no problem with high miles on the right type of car.

I drive a 1996 Town & Country Mini-Van with 183,000 miles. We bought it used w/ about 105,000 miles on it 7 years ago. The only major repair it has needed was a new "brain" which was about $600. It has needed minor repairs; belts, water pump etc. but luckily my DH can do all those types of repairs. I would drive it till it dies but we are going to outgrow it come October. :D

I am so glad to hear this. We have a 2006 Town & Country with 60,000 miles on it. We have already had several lights come on but it has a 7 years warranty so everything has been fixed or replaced so far. I am hoping it will really last a long time.

My previous vehicle was a 2000 Chevy Astro that died at about 120,000 miles. I was very disappointed because the vehicle before that was GMC Safari (same car) that lasted about 250,000 miles. I forget what year it was though, about 1990. We also had a 1996 Ford Taurus station wagon that my brother is still driving and it has over 250,000.

Honda Civic -- four years old -- over 93,000 miles. We live in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, which explains that !

Toyota Sienna -- four years old -- about 79,000 miles. Same reason.

DH works in different city than we live in. There is minimal public transportation where we happen to live. Thus we are stuck with two cars. I would love to be a single-car family.

:confused: Why then the warning to not let children ride in the front seat with airbags until they weigh 100 lbs? I thought airbags killed or seriously injured children. :confused:

Frontal airbags are different that rear/side-curtain airbags.

It is safe for children to ride near the back type - but NOT the front airbags - which can injure/kill them.

Our 2004 Venture has around 65,000 miles - but I really would like to get a safer Toyota or Honda van.

Our '97 Town and Country has over 175,000 miles. The only unexpected repair we had was the transmission at over 150,000 miles. That may have lasted even longer had I had the transmission oil changed earlier. The new, third party transmission is working very well and has an excellent reputation.

We are trading it in, because our needs have changed. We are replacing it with a Sprinter RV conversion.