Menu

S/O of food stamp thread....would you?

Okay, I'm STRESSING. Hubby is having a HARD time finding a job. And we just cannot live off of unemployment. I am unable to work (my doc will attest to that...actually, I have at least 3 docs that would). I TRY, but....

So I went to the dept of human services website and did their screening. I did not put that I was disabled because I didn't know if I could say that officially. I put in hubby's unemployment, my pay for tag-team homeschooling the 6yo, and answered all other questions honestly. I even put a fairly high amount in for my phone work (I can barely do it at this time so don't make much but I wanted to account for trying hard).

The screening says that we could get food stamps ($300some per month), medicaid/chips for the kids, at least the women's medicaid for me but possibly full medicaid based on medical....It said some other stuff also including they could help me apply for disability.

Anyway, but I've read on here before about not getting on these things. I'm not sure I understand why though. I want to be "above reproach." So will y'all please help me understand all of this even though I HOPE we don't even have to seriously consider it?

TIA,

Have not walked in your shoes, but I pray that things turn around soon and well for your family ! I'm in DFW, and understand things are very hard for many families.

I have picked up that receiving "official classification" for disabled is difficult. We have a friend (in DFW) who is diabetic, has failing kidneys, COPD, and his heart functions at 35%. (all this is genetic; his father died from these conditions when barely 50 years old.) Governmental "They" will NOT classify him as "disabled" ! ! ! For crying out loud ! ! !

Yours sounds like a family that is doing its utmost to make ends meet, and genuinely to seek work. I speak from my own beliefs now, but YOU are EXACTLY the kind of family which I want my tax dollars to help with concrete aid that will assist a family to get back on its feet and move on.

I do not see any "reproach" in your family accepting the government aid which is intended for such situations. Again, I'm voicing only my own opinion -- but if anybody tells you it is "sinful" or "lazy" to accept temporary financial aid, given your particular circumstances of unemployment and severe health problems, I feel that person merits a hard "whack" on the reality-of-life button !

I pray these thoughts do not offend you.

:grouphug:

OH yes, honey, that is what food stamps are *there* for!!! Take them, and be thankful! We have had to use them in the past. Don't listen to people who tell you that everyone on food stamps is (whatever). I think it would be unethical to take them if you had enough money and didn't need them and took them anyway, or if somehow you lied on your application.

Tell the truth to the best of your ability on the application, and if you get them them say hooray! I am proof that one can be on food stamps and get financially back on your feet.

This is a call for you and your husband to make together. Hard times call for hard decisions to make. You and your husband are there on the battle line for your family.

My experience is limited to one dear friend who recieved many different forms of assistance for 10 years. The only caution I would take is to understand what hoops I would need to jump through. Different programs have different requirements. For example, getting monthly income statements signed, TB testing, etc.,:grouphug:

YES, Yes, and Yes! When our twins were born, dh (a ps teacher) went down and signed us up for WIC. It hurt my pride, but it was great for our dc. We also had our dc enrolled in CHIP for a couple of years. It's there to help people in need, and right now you are in need. Like it or not. You're not abusing the system, people like you and your dh are the reason the system was created. Accept the help while you need it, say thanks, and pay it forward when things get better. :001_smile:

hth

Public assistance is there to assist those during hard times. Your family is obviously experiencing hard times. There is nothing reproachful or shameful in accepting or asking for help when you need it.

If you and your dh agree, do what you need to do to keep your family healthy and safe.

:grouphug:

I don't see why ensuring your children are fed and have their health looked after is anything objectionable. If anyone believes that, let them foot the bill. That is what these programs are for. You are not lying or exploiting the system -- you are trying to take care of your family.

I have picked up that receiving "official classification" for disabled is difficult. We have a friend (in DFW) who is diabetic, has failing kidneys, COPD, and his heart functions at 35%. (all this is genetic; his father died from these conditions when barely 50 years old.) Governmental "They" will NOT classify him as "disabled" ! ! ! For crying out loud ! ! !

I have heard that also. Actually, I was told to use the mental health rather than physical health route. I'm a little uncomfortable with that but would qualify. Generally, I couldn't get disability because hubby makes too much money and I don't have enough credits but with hubby just getting unemployment, I would qualify for the low income type.

But hubby is skeptical. First, he hopes not to be out of a job long enough to get it even if it ONLY takes 4-6 mo (the fastest I've ever heard of). Second, his mother couldn't get it when she was in a COMA (how many coma patients do you know who work?).

I am hoping hubby hurries and gets a job. He keeps networking with various people, checking papers and online sources. Checking with various companies he knows of too.... We're hopeful that the sister company that is moving into the shop he's been working at will hire him for the same basic job (not the same rig they built but they'll still need rig assemblers, testers and safety people).

I'd rather not need the gov't's help.

Yours sounds like a family that is doing its utmost to make ends meet, and genuinely to seek work. I speak from my own beliefs now, but YOU are EXACTLY the kind of family which I want my tax dollars to help with concrete aid that will assist a family to get back on its feet and move on.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Cat

Okay, I'm STRESSING. Hubby is having a HARD time finding a job. And we just cannot live off of unemployment. I am unable to work (my doc will attest to that...actually, I have at least 3 docs that would). I TRY, but....

So I went to the dept of human services website and did their screening. I did not put that I was disabled because I didn't know if I could say that officially. I put in hubby's unemployment, my pay for tag-team homeschooling the 6yo, and answered all other questions honestly. I even put a fairly high amount in for my phone work (I can barely do it at this time so don't make much but I wanted to account for trying hard).

The screening says that we could get food stamps ($300some per month), medicaid/chips for the kids, at least the women's medicaid for me but possibly full medicaid based on medical....It said some other stuff also including they could help me apply for disability.

Anyway, but I've read on here before about not getting on these things. I'm not sure I understand why though. I want to be "above reproach." So will y'all please help me understand all of this even though I HOPE we don't even have to seriously consider it?

TIA,

Your family is exactly the kind of family that needs some temporary help. I'll gladly send my tax dollars to you!:)

I'd rather not need the gov't's help.

Try not to think about it that way. It's not the "government" that is helping out... it's the American people!! Go, America!

Yes, absolutely... if you need the assistance and you qualify, you should apply and receive the aid thankfully. $300.00 a month is a blessing.

Your hubby is trying to find a job, right? You have no plans to try to mooch off the government; you are trying to make sure that in a bad economic time, your family does not suffer while your hubby is jobless. There is nothing wrong about that. If anyone tries to give you a hard time, it is their problem, not yours. Hope that things take a turn for the better for you.

Go apply. We're on assistance now. DH is incarcerated (long story short: we couldn't afford a decent lawyer following an accident), and though he's on work furlough, after child support for his older DD, the money he has to pay the county to be on work furlough, and gas, his paycheck is gone. I work not quite full time at Wal Mart. DD and I have insurance through my work, for which I pay, but it's not very good insurance.

So, we get some food stamps and medicaid. I finally got in to a doctor so I could get back on thyroid meds, and I can afford to take DD to the follow up appt she needs because she failed her hearing test at her well child check. Knowing we aren't going to have medical bills loom in the next few months, and that I can at least keep milk in the house during the tight parts of the month, has made a big difference in the stress level around here, and that's good for everyone.

To make a long story short, it's there to help when the ends aren't quite meeting. Go for it! Don't shortchange your family's health out of pride.

I do not see any "reproach" in your family accepting the government aid which is intended for such situations. Again, I'm voicing only my own opinion -- but if anybody tells you it is "sinful" or "lazy" to accept temporary financial aid, given your particular circumstances of unemployment and severe health problems, I feel that person merits a hard "whack" on the reality-of-life button !

:iagree:

Sheri :)

Go apply and receive and don't feel bad. Your situation is EXACTLY why the help is there.

By your name, I'm thinking you are in Texas, so I know a little bit about the Texas rules.

Even if you can't get "disability" per say as in SSI or SSDI, it can make a difference if you are physically and/or mentally unable to work in your food stamp determination. Depending of your age, you may need to participate you are expected to work, prove you are looking for work, or participate in a work search program. They can give you a form to have your physician complete so that you are exempt from those requirements.

Good Luck! I sure hope you don't need it, but if you do . . . don't feel bad.

I would be pleased to have my tax dollars help you. That is what it is for. Do what you need to for your family and don't feel bad about it. It's hard right now; my dh is unemployed with no prospects. You're in my prayers.

Janet

Don't use the government money to go on vacation three times a year and I am good.:D

Seriously though, pray that you know your heart. Then get what you need in the form of assistance. I will be glad that my friend got help. I won't think anything negative in the slightest.

TIA,

You need help... it is that simple. And the food stamps will allow you to shop for good food for a balanced diet: meat, eggs, milk, bread, fruit and veggies. (No deli items allowed -- but sliced lunch meat is accepted by the scanner at the checkout. However, I think in TX you can't buy a wedding cake... LOL) You need to bring a note from the doctor listing your health condition so you can avoid having to report to the mandatory job seeking meeting and employment screening. If you are not able to work, they can make an exception. Hang in there! You will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by tex-mex

Thanks y'all....We do cook from scratch as we feel poor even when hubby is making a decent wage. I'm a little sad about the wedding cake though <hee hee>.

I have a doc appointment next week so will discuss the issue with her (my endo is my primary doc right now) so I don't have to worry about trying to work when I just can't (I'm not even sure about the 2 mornings with the 6yo! It's been REALLY hard. Thankfully he's going to daycare for the summer and we can reevaluate in the fall).

I guess maybe those who wouldn't accept assistance were a little scared off because of how positive and friendly this thread was. I really would be interested in reasons NOT to apply/accept. But I REALLY appreciate all the support and caring expressed in this thread.

I do have another question. Does anyone know if they will make my daughter get a job? She has considered it, but I'd rather not. She's 16, in college. I can't imagine a 16yo can really make that much of a dent in a situation and it doesn't seem best to ask her to contribute to the family in that way when she should be focused on her schooling and other responsibilities.

To my knowledge, they cannot force a minor to work to support the family, even if that minor has already graduated. Isn't that what child labor laws were put in place to prevent? In fact, I'm not sure they could force her to get a job (or make benefits contingent on her looking for one) even if she was over 18. I think that only applies to the heads of household. (She may not be counted in the dependents if she was over 18, but that's a whole other matter)

I can't imagine anyone wants to be in a position to ask for assistance. It seems rather prideful to me, though, to dismiss the possibility out of hand, to the detriment of one's family. You know?

And, you can enjoy startling the checkout folks by being the already habitually frugal shopper with the card. :D

And, you can enjoy startling the checkout folks by being the already habitually frugal shopper with the card.

:) $300 isn't all that much money. You couldn't eat very long on that if you got chips and soda, pizzas and other junk. You'd HAVE to buy things to cook from scratch if you kept that as your only food budget (and we're gonna need to).

Feeding your family good food and staying healthy is "above reproach". Take the assistance and use it properly. That too is "above reproach".

Hopefully this season in your lives will pass. In the meantime, look for the good in these circumstances.

Today's public assistance is by no means luxurious. As you've noticed, the food card won't go far if you buy silly stuff with it.

I respectfully suggest that you take advantage of other food assistance available in the city. Visit the church food cupboards, and ask what else they have available. One of the Methodist Churches in our city gives away mountains of high quality baked goods from one of the city's premier bakeries. There's all sorts of bread, plus some very nice cookies and cakes. Also try some of the community meals that are served on a weekly or monthly basis at many churches. You'll find it's not like the "soup kitchen" of your imagination. You'll get an evening out, and meet lots of nice people in the same boat.

Have a look at what education grants may be available to you and your husband. You might be pleasantly surprised. If you're going to be unemployed, you might as well make the best of it. Remember, if you're a student, you rate student loans. One or both of you could come out of the current economic downturn well qualified for a great job.

Have an expert go over your husband's resume. He might be surprised by the qualifications he has left off.

Blessings,

Elizabeth

Food stamps, etc. are for folks in just your circumstances. If a local neighbor was ill, out of work, etc, wouldn't you take over a casserole? Food stamps are the way all the taxpayers "take over a casserole" when times are hard. Don't feel bad about it. Take the help when you need it.

Have a look at what education grants may be available to you and your husband. You might be pleasantly surprised. If you're going to be unemployed, you might as well make the best of it. Remember, if you're a student, you rate student loans. One or both of you could come out of the current economic downturn well qualified for a great job.

I am in school full time (17 credits in the fall; 22 this spring; hopefully 9 more this summer). I'm HOPING my docs can fix me well enough by the time I get my degree so I can work :) And I actually DO have a job set up for fall (other than the 6yo two mornings per week), but whether I can actually do it will depend on if the docs can fix me THAT quickly.

I know there was some discussion of hubby getting help regarding getting a degree. He has some learning issues, but we looked at the certificate and associates programs for the job he has been doing (because he keeps running into "need an assoc degree"). These programs are self-paced so he might be able to knock out a good chunk while unemployed if he worked hard (we'd ALL be homeschooling then, huh?).

He DID get someone to go over his resume. I wasn't much help but knew it was "off." He came home with it marked up. There was more pen marking than printer type on it! But he felt confident he could adjust it appropriately after that. We were very thankful!

So it seems we're on the right track if the right job would just become find-able. It's like finding a needle in a haystack! Honestly, he probably will have to take a pay cut, but I'm most worried about INSURANCE. Being chronically ill really makes that a necessity. We do have COBRA at our regular premium for 3 months. Then I know there is some program from the stimulus package that is supposed to make it a little easier also for after that.

Edited by 2J5M9K

When my dh lost his job years ago the first thing I did when eligible(unemployment check) we got WIC. And it helped us through a rough time. we paid taxes to fund it, so yes, we used it when we needed it. He got a job and we stopped using it. But for 3 months it was VERY helpful. don't be ashamed. it's there to help people.

(and others might be better at this than I)

but my understanding is that some of the folks who don't choose to avail themselves of public assistance do so because they feel led to trust God to provide for them, or even stronger than that, maybe they believe that God and/or the church are the proper source for financial assistance. Dh and I considered this long and hard when he was unemployed in 2001 and 2002. We came to the conclusion that God did not desire for *us* to overlook the obvious assistance provided by unemployment benefits, but that we would have enough of a faith walk trusting him to provide for what unemployment did not cover, and in the long run, for our retirement finances. :)

Interestingly enough, after the 21 months of unemployment, during which dh's networking led to placement of four other people into jobs(!), God moved us to be in a place where we were mortgage free, nearly out of $, and arranged our living circumstances so that we were caring for my elderly, ill FIL, with a free roof over our heads. Those much reduced monthly expenses allowed us to take a 40% pay cut in the new job and still be able to afford the dyslexia therapy for the boys which became necessary the following year....nearly $20K of it over three years, as we couldn't get it through the PS or through Scottish Rite's lab school. Had we been in dh's old job and our old home, I'd have had to go back to work and given up homeschooling to be able to afford the therapy the boys needed. My FIL was able to remain in his own home until he passed away, and after he passed, his primary care physician, with whom I consulted very frequently, told me she was convinced that he had lived several years longer than he would have without our care for him.

In our experience, God provided for us all, and one of the ways he did that was through public assistance.

hth

I understand about "rather not seek government assistance", but in your situation I would do it in a heartbeat--in addition to the food banks and other options. This is worlds away from the person who wanted to use her husband's unemployment benefits to take her family of 11 to Europe for a week. These programs (for which you and your husband have been paying when you were working) are there to assist those who have done/are doing the best they can with their resources and still not making it, often through no fault of their own (and certainly through no fault of the children--it would be misguided IMO to not get what one could for them out of pride over what other people might say). Accept what is available and use it responsibly.

In case you haven't seen the info, Angel Food Ministries might be an option for you http://www.angelfoodministries.com/ ---they also take food stamps.

Edited by KarenNC

I'm sorry you are going through this. Since you asked, I'll answer for us.

We would not use any federal or state aid until we had:

cancelled land-line phone and kept cell phone only

cancelled cable, Netflix, etc. (we don't have cable now, but that's just an example)

stopped buying all junk food/drinks/convenience foods/desserts

stopped eating out at restaurants

started cooking basic meals that gave us nutrients we needed

stopped all pleasure shopping

cancelled any extracurricular classes

Even on unemployment, my husband would work absolutely whatever job he had to to earn anything.

We are actually looking into private disability insurance right now so that if anything happened to him and he couldn't work, we could have something.

We do feel like it's there for people who really need it to get back on their feet. We just wouldn't use it until we had given up our own standard of living.

I should add, that we also feel called to pay off our debt quickly. It is always tempting when one gets a raise to increase one's standard of living rather than stay content and pay the loan more quickly. My father chose the constant upgrade. He's in a great position now, but I don't approve of the way he used a bankruptcy to get there nor how he uses the social security system right now.

We just try to live with the understanding that something could happen which would cause our income to drop significantly, so we try to pay things down while the times are good.

Edited by nestof3

I am in school full time (17 credits in the fall; 22 this spring; hopefully 9 more this summer). I'm HOPING my docs can fix me well enough by the time I get my degree so I can work :) And I actually DO have a job set up for fall (other than the 6yo two mornings per week), but whether I can actually do it will depend on if the docs can fix me THAT quickly.

I know there was some discussion of hubby getting help regarding getting a degree. He has some learning issues, but we looked at the certificate and associates programs for the job he has been doing (because he keeps running into "need an assoc degree"). These programs are self-paced so he might be able to knock out a good chunk while unemployed if he worked hard (we'd ALL be homeschooling then, huh?).

He DID get someone to go over his resume. I wasn't much help but knew it was "off." He came home with it marked up. There was more pen marking than printer type on it! But he felt confident he could adjust it appropriately after that. We were very thankful!

Sounds like you two have a very good plan. You're going to get through this and be better off for the experience. Think of all the family time you'll have now that everyone's "home schooling".

I agree with some of the other comments here. Food stamps should be a last resort, but they're there for people who either can't work or are working but can't afford to feed themselves and their families. Things like this are part of a compassionate society's desire to help people who need it.

And it sounds like you need it.

In our experience, God provided for us all, and one of the ways he did that was through public assistance.

You might take some time to prayerfully consider the sources of public assistance available to the nation of Israel through the law code, and the early Christians. And... if you are afraid that being on Public Assistance will stumble someone don't tell them!

For example: Alcohol offends some people, so when we use it in moderation we do so privately.

In case you haven't seen the info, Angel Food Ministries might be an option for you http://www.angelfoodministries.com/ ---they also take food stamps.
:iagree:

In case you are wondering: Many times the food is distributed in a church, but they are not affiliated; they are just using the room. You do pay for the food and much of it is very good. They have set packages of things that you can buy, like a vegetable pack.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Since you asked, I'll answer for us.

We would not use any federal or state aid until we had:

cancelled land-line phone and kept cell phone only

cancelled cable, Netflix, etc. (we don't have cable now, but that's just an example)

stopped buying all junk food/drinks/convenience foods/desserts

stopped eating out at restaurants

started cooking basic meals that gave us nutrients we needed

stopped all pleasure shopping

cancelled any extracurricular classes

Even on unemployment, my husband would work absolutely whatever job he had to to earn anything.

We are actually looking into private disability insurance right now so that if anything happened to him and he couldn't work, we could have something.

We do feel like it's there for people who really need it to get back on their feet. We just wouldn't use it until we had given up our own standard of living.

I should add, that we also feel called to pay off our debt quickly. It is always tempting when one gets a raise to increase one's standard of living rather than stay content and pay the loan more quickly. My father chose the constant upgrade. He's in a great position now, but I don't approve of the way he used a bankruptcy to get there nor how he uses the social security system right now.

We just try to live with the understanding that something could happen which would cause our income to drop significantly, so we try to pay things down while the times are good.

I just wanted to point out one possible consideration on this list: I personally would not cancel my landline, especially with kids in the house, because you will lose 911 service. Of course you can call from a cell phone, but in a case where you are unable to give the address, they will not be able to locate you the way they can with a land line.

Examples of this: being sick or injured to the point of dialing 911 then passing out or simply being unable to speak, a small child is the only one who can dial 911 and doesn't know the address (or panics and forgets), intruder in the house and you are able to dial but not speak or make any noise, fire (fires can be incredibly loud, and it's often impossible to hear them or for them to hear you).

Just wanted to add that we also had public assistance--my middle son's treatment program in Newport News happened because of state assistance and medicaid (I think it's called that--medicare is something else, right?). He was a "family of one," which meant he had no funds available for treatment, so they accepted him after he was out of the house for 30 days. His treatment would have cost approx $150,000--we paid about $80 a month. Now, it was a pretty poor facility, and I wish we had not placed him there, but at the time, we felt we had little choice. All to say that sometimes God provides in ways you wouldn't expect. I liken it to saying there is direct healing by God, but there's also Dr.'s, and you shouldn't think He can't use them. Same with the gov't assistance--it's there for those who need it.

I just wanted to point out one possible consideration on this list: I personally would not cancel my landline, especially with kids in the house, because you will lose 911 service. Of course you can call from a cell phone, but in a case where you are unable to give the address, they will not be able to locate you the way they can with a land line.

Examples of this: being sick or injured to the point of dialing 911 then passing out or simply being unable to speak, a small child is the only one who can dial 911 and doesn't know the address (or panics and forgets), intruder in the house and you are able to dial but not speak or make any noise, fire (fires can be incredibly loud, and it's often impossible to hear them or for them to hear you).

Thanks for the warning. I see Verizon offers a plan for $6.00 a month. You pay 10.2 cents per local call, so this would be a good backup plan to keep you from those dangers but still keep your phone bill down.

Try not to think about it that way. It's not the "government" that is helping out... it's the American people!! Go, America!

Yes, absolutely... if you need the assistance and you qualify, you should apply and receive the aid thankfully. $300.00 a month is a blessing.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I personally would not cancel my landline, especially with kids in the house, because you will lose 911 service.

We have a plain jane line just for my work. It wouldn't make sense for me to give up my income (though it's small cuz I can't work much) to save $10. But I do think it makes sense for a lot of people.

We have a plain jane line just for my work. It wouldn't make sense for me to give up my income (though it's small cuz I can't work much) to save $10. But I do think it makes sense for a lot of people.

It's also a good backup if the power goes out, but make sure you have an old fashioned corded phone. If power goes out, especially for a while (we've lost it for days due to a hurricane and to ice storms a few times) the corded phone will continue to work, but the cordless won't because the handset can't recharge and there's not an easy way to recharge the cell. They do make hand crank and I think solar power rechargers for cell phone batteries I believe, but getting one of those is probably not the most practical expenditure in your current situation since you have a business use for the land line.

There are also lots of folks who don't have reliable connection for cell phones at their homes, though they may work fine out and about. I would honestly drop my cell before my landline for all the reasons listed, including that we don't get the best reception in our house. All depends on one's situation.