Menu

Three things you adore about your house....

BlsdMama

Location - rural, but close to everything we need (as in, within 20 - 25 minutes max).

Terrific land - (large) creekfront in a nicely wooded area, a one acre pond, pastures, and large enough yards (front and back) for our boys to do anything from shooting BB guns to launching rockets to playing crocket (our version of croquet - the version without the neatly manicured lawn sans holes, etc).

Terrific neighbors - similar values and none of us mind helping one another with our critters when we travel.  There are four other sets of neighbors around us who know our farm inside and out, and we know theirs.

Who could ask for anything more?

Oh, the house?  Well, yes, there's a house.  It's adequate for our needs, but won't win over anyone on House Hunters.  It could use a bunch of updating, but we'd rather spend our money on travel.  It does have updated windows, (some) pipes, wiring, and will be getting a new roof in a month.  Certain things move from "needs it" to "NEEDS IT."

I love my lot. I love being secluded (well, except for those neighbor kids we have now) and having no HOA.

I love my sunroom. I am sitting in it now. It is my favorite place to sit.

I love my second floor laundry room, with cabinetry, a sink, and counters. It is practically perfect in every way.

I love my lot. I love being secluded (well, except for those neighbor kids we have now) and having no HOA.

I love my sunroom. I am sitting in it now. It is my favorite place to sit.

I love my second floor laundry room, with cabinetry, a sink, and counters. It is practically perfect in every way.

Have always wanted a sunroom. :)  Thinking on a compromise with DH about a two story house... I'll bet a second story laundry would make it so I don't hate a second floor so much.

• Like 2

We are moving in 3 weeks!!

3 things I love about my current home:

1) We share a border with a horse farm. It is lovely to have the horses behind us, but not the work! 

2) Laundry closet upstairs~where we create most of our laundry. Convenient!

3) Induction stovetop

3 things I think I will love about our next home:

1) all-brick, maintenance-free exterior

2) no steps from garage to house, or house to back yard

3) a bit of walk-in attic storage

Layout. L-shaped, bedrooms and busy rooms (TV, toys, kitchen) on opposite ends. Sort of open but not really. Rooms not too big or too small, finished basement. Less than ideal for supervising little ones, but as they get older it's not hard to find a corner of the house to spread out in.

Large backyard (with an HOA that doesn't care how it looks). My backyard has junk forts, kid-sized holes, box sleds, scotch tape spider webs, piles of rocks, piles of bricks, and plenty of places for dirt-covered little boys to pee without going inside.

Affordable. We bought this house comfortably when DH was making about 40% of what he does now, and we bought a house we could grow into and not move. Once we get it paid off and fixed up, it'll be darn near perfect. Now if only I could find the time to do the fixing up...

Edited by BarbecueMom

Our fireplace - my husband and son love making fires and it is a highlight of our winter to have frequent fires and frequent guests to our fires.

The noise isolation of the sleeping rooms. I can easily exercise to videos without disturbing anyone.

Our schoolroom/office/guest room. It is south facing and right over the heater, so it is wonderfully warm in winter as well as bright.

Wow, I could keep going on and on. We love our house.

Emily

• Like 1

Many things

I love our neighborhood. Anything you might need is very close,yet it's not too city. It's a newer track home which, personally, I love. Different strokes and all.

I love that our home is two story, so the kids and I can find a quiet place alone without each other ;)

I love my schoolroom, in the garage.

I love that we don't have a landlord to kick us out or raise rent.

I love the memories we have made it.

• Like 1

3 zone heating/cooling system...amazing

Location, location, location (just count that as one)  :tongue_smilie:

Our yard is pretty great

I really love lots of things about our house. It is pretty awesome. The only thing this house is missing is a finished basement, so I could have a place to bump the kiddos when they have friends over and want to play video games or watch a movie. It's one reason I don't often host my kids' friends. Basements are actually not that common in our area and our house is really old, like 120+ years, so we'll just deal. In 10 years it will be moot.

Funny, b/c though I've never been crazy about my house (it was an inbetween house that has stuck for 10 years. :) ) there are things that I really like:

My rocking chair front porch. LOVE this. 

The walk-in, very roomy attic. This is so convenient. Would that every house had one of these! 

The big pool. The pool allows the kids to play outside in Florida summers. 

This is a great thread! I appreciate thinking through what it really is that I love about my in-between house. 

• Like 1

Funny, b/c though I've never been crazy about my house (it was an inbetween house that has stuck for 10 years. :) ) there are things that I really like:

My rocking chair front porch. LOVE this. 

The walk-in, very roomy attic. This is so convenient. Would that every house had one of these! 

The big pool. The pool allows the kids to play outside in Florida summers. 

This is a great thread! I appreciate thinking through what it really is that I love about my in-between house. 

Me too! We tried to buy another house before this one but got outbid, so I felt sort of down about it, but when I start listing what I really love about our house, I could go on and on. 

The biggest: our neighbors. We live on a private cul-de-sac and everyone knows everyone... and everyone loves my kids.

Emily

I love our 3 acres with the plan of a big garden this year and chickens and maybe goats next year. We'll see how we do with tomatoes first.

Real hardwood floors and our gas fireplace that turns on with a switch.

2 car garage. I have loved parking my car in the garage and not having to deal with scraping windows.

For us, the first is location. Everyone comes to us. It's easy to get anywhere quickly. I doubt I can ever go back to driving 30 minutes if I'm out of milk. It always seems easier for groups to meet here, so I have extra time to get ready :-) I'm close to two cities for field trips, but my suburban neighborhood is sooooo quiet.

The second thing I like is the 4X6 window son my entire bottom floor. It's woodsy and shady here, so the view is nice and I like that toddlers (even though mine are teens now) and dogs can easily see out the windows because the start a foot off the ground.

I also like the medium-sized rooms. No Great a Room, so it's very quiet, but also even the smallest bedroom isn't small. Plenty of room so that we're not squished, but no gratuitous space to clean. I like that.

Neighborhood. Love that my kids can free range in the quiet circle and walk all the neighbors dogs. Most everyone is friendly and kind, or keeps to themselves but aren't crabby about it.

Size. Love my small house!! So many people whine about the size but I love my 1300 sq. ft house. It's so much easier to clean that my bigger old home with the massive basement downstairs. Having 2 levels instead of 3 (with an extra bathroom to clean!) has been so nice.

Washer/Dryer in the kitchen area. Love this feature..it's so easy to just throw a load in and not forget about it. My girls can also carry their laundry down much more easily than when they were dragging it down 2 huge levels to the basement in our old house!!

I think Dh would agree on these points. He'd probably have different ones though. We're both pretty satisfied with the house.

1) the new ikea besta cabinetry in the laundry room. Looks great, and stores more than I could imagine.

2) bigger backyard than we could have hoped for, and fences for kids.

3) DH remodeled the entire inside of the house, so we've picked out the floors, the paint, the entire kitchen, etc. It will be a tough place to leave if we ever have to.

Size. Love my small house!! So many people whine about the size but I love my 1300 sq. ft house. It's so much easier to clean that my bigger old home with the massive basement downstairs. Having 2 levels instead of 3 (with an extra bathroom to clean!) has been so nice.

This made me smile.  My favorite house ever was a very small house and DH and I both agree we will go immediately back when we don't have kids (or not more than 3-4) to a small house again.

• Like 1

Neighborhood. Love that my kids can free range in the quiet circle and walk all the neighbors dogs. Most everyone is friendly and kind, or keeps to themselves but aren't crabby about it.

Washer/Dryer in the kitchen area. Love this feature..it's so easy to just throw a load in and not forget about it. My girls can also carry their laundry down much more easily than when they were dragging it down 2 huge levels to the basement in our old house!!

I think Dh would agree on these points. He'd probably have different ones though. We're both pretty satisfied with the house.

When we rented before kids our washer and dryer were in a very large walk-in closet in the main floor bathroom. It was so handy!

• Like 1

I think I love everything about our house. The previous owners designed it for themselves, and it has lots of little unique touches that make it perfect. The three things that probably have the biggest impact on our day-to-day life are: 

1. The basement is 1/2 finished (TV room & play room) and 1/2 unfinished (indoor skateboarding zone & floor hockey arena). 

2. We have a beautiful large field directly next to our house, where our kids and their friends play every day. When we moved in, we were concerned that someone might try to buy the land from the city to build on, so we bought enough of the land to make it just shy of the minimum width for a residential lot. 

3. Every bedroom has a walk-in closet, and ours is so huge that one of my kids genuinely asked if he could use it as a bedroom. 

1) The size. It's a ranch with a fully finished basement. I love that my loud, crazy active boys have room to move that is not necessarily under my feet.

2) The light. I only recently realized how important lots of sunlight is for me. This house had that in spades.

3) That I can't see the kitchen when I'm sitting in the living room or my living room when I'm cooking. The house is open, in that the kitchen is open to the dining space which is open to the living room, but the kitchen and living room share a wall, so you walk from kitchen to dining, then turn a full 90 degrees left to enter the living room.

1. Huge sliders in every room that allow the house to become one with nature.

2. The cage which keeps all the bugs out.

3. The outdoor living space which has a kitchen, dining room, and living room around the pool.

I just wish I did not have to work so much to pay for the house so I could enjoy it more.

1. Plaster walls. Keeps the house cooler in summer.

2. Steam Heat. I great big, puffy heart love my steam heat. Low maintenance and radiators are perfect for wet gloves in the winter.

3. High ceilings. Not cathedral, all the heat gets stuck up there but higher then most homes so the rooms are airy.

• Like 1

1) Finished basement - the television and most toys are down there rather than in the living room.

2) Yard backs onto city greenspace - no neighbors directly behind us plus plenty of song birds to enjoy

3) Attached garage - I especially appreciate this after grocery runs on wet days

1. The kitchen, the cabinets are beautiful, plenty of storage, nice appliances

2. The finished basement, a full schoolroom down there where everything can be hidden away

3. Location, walking distance to shopping, right in the middle of 2 cities and one good sized town, and dh can bike to work

I think I'll love our backyard, it has a pool and a lovely covered deck but we just moved here in Decemeber so we haven't used it yet.

1. Our backyard backs to protected green space w a creek. Even though we have a long narrow acre, it looks like we have so much more. There are no fences separating our neighbors' yards so I see landscaping, grass, gardens, and so many trees.

2. We have a very large deck off the family room, a full story above ground. I insisted on adding integrated lighting and a retractable awning when we replaced the original tiny wiggly deck. I love sitting out there, working or reading, during the nicer months. With the awning, I can even be out during warm rainy days.

3. The location: a quiet, small development on the edge of a university town in the middle of east coast vast suburban sprawl. We can walk 1-3 miles, all on sidewalks or bike paths, to restaurants and bars, the natural foods store, the weekly farmers' market, the university theatres and concert halls (we go to lots of performances), and grocery stores and other shopping. People walk and bike everywhere :)

We live on a few acres. We have woods and creeks. We bought the house for that reason, so that is what I adore most. Other than that, we have lots of space inside, and a finished basement which makes things much easier with a guest room and a school room.

It is all brick (I won't live in a stick house if it can be helped--we have to build the next one partially for this reason)

It's a beautiful property mixing woods and fields

"Breakfast room" which we use as school room that has windows all around

Too bad we have to sell!

1. I love the yard. It is very private with evergreens all the way around and big enough to have our chickens, huge garden, raised beds, and room for dogs to run.

2. The hardwood floors my husband put in.

3. The "music room" with doors that close.

The great room set up. Most of the time (when I have to listen to video game music while cooking some days, I long for a loft or basement) :D

The hardwood floors through most of the main living area.

The back porch. We put in a deck made out of not Trex, but another brand that I can't remember now. Fireproof, grease-proof (we grill a lot) and no maintenance.

My kitchen. Hands down my favorite place in the house.

My bedroom is a lovely retreat from the rest of the house. It's pretty and it's the first time I ever (childhood included) had a pretty place to call my own.

The master bedroom has TWO large walk in closets. Yes, this is amazing.