Menu

What do you say to the people that think they can't homeschool?

I am 25 and 27 years older then my youngest siblings. This has created some interesting conversations with our father. One of which the state of the public education system. I have been saying for about 12-13 years now that I was going to homeschool. So it is no surprise that my 6 year old isn't in public school. However my father is realizing that public school doesn't really teach important things either. His first excuse was that his daughters were learning Chinese through an immersion program. However the first one aged out of the intensive part of that, and the younger one will age out at the end of this year. Now he says that he can't teach. Funny as he has been teaching me how to think my whole life, even when he was a really crappy parent (he is 18 years sober). Which I must say is more then I can say for most of my public education. 

I obviously want what is best for my sisters, and I know dad does too. I think if he had to put them in the school where he lives (and didn't drive them nearly an hour each way to go to this charter school) he would have the motivation to homeschool. When my sisters and him were out here (they live on the other side of the country) last year, they both thought my son got the better end of the stick when it came to schooling. I told them that he normally is only in school for about 4 hours a day. Something I really don't see growing that much as he gets older. 

So what to do say to those people that think they are not smart enough, educated enough, ___ enough to homeschool?

I tell them that I thought that, too.

Homeschooling was never on my radar, was not anything I had planned, but did when it was clear that public school did not work for my children. I did it because it was the only option.

Other than that: it is not my place to convince other people that they should homeschool their children. If somebody asks me for advice, I will tell them how I made it work, answer their questions, point them to resources. If somebody tells me they would really love to homeschool but are scared, concerned, worried that they won't be able to, then I will help them figure out that, and how, they can. But if somebody does not really want to homeschool, I don't say anything.

• Like 16

I don't think anyone should homeschool who doesn't want to, so I don't really say anything typically. If someone was saying to me that they wished they could but didn't feel smart enough/equipped enough, then I would gently suggest they look at some of the programs that really hold your hand to help you get started or to guide you through. There are scripted curricula and really well laid out plans and some people don't realize that. However, if someone said that wasn't enough or wasn't motivated to look at that, then I wouldn't think they were much cut out to homeschool. A huge part of homeschooling is having the drive to do it. If you don't have that, school is usually a better place for your children.

• Like 18

"That's OK-it's not for everyone."

From what I've seen "I can't homeschool, I'm not X enough" really means "I don't want to homeschool, but I don't want you to think badly of me for saying so". If they really are considering it, they'll ask questions about how to make it work. I've seen people got from "I can't" to "Maybe I can...." to "I'm going to try it"-but not because I told them they could when they said they can't.

• Like 26

I don't lecture my father on it, I just try to understand him when it comes up. Today I called him and he said that he had my sister with him all day for "take your daughter to work day". So I asked him if he knew what else happened today and he asked me what. So I said the Armenian Genocide. I was surprised that he had heard of it and I told him that the history I learned in school could fill a thimble. He agreed that they don't really teach history in school. Which I had to ask, why do you have my sisters in public school?? Which he said he thinks he can't teach. 

I don't lecture my father on it, I just try to understand him when it comes up. Today I called him and he said that he had my sister with him all day for "take your daughter to work day". So I asked him if he knew what else happened today and he asked me what. So I said the Armenian Genocide. I was surprised that he had heard of it and I told him that the history I learned in school could fill a thimble. He agreed that they don't really teach history in school. Which I had to ask, why do you have my sisters in public school?? Which he said he thinks he can't teach. 

I didn't know that happened today either and I've been homeschooling for years and we have read a lot of history books.  Ya can't know everything.  KWIM?

Would you want him to question your choices for your children? 

• Like 14

I completely understand when somebody says they can't homeschool.

Most people have no idea that, at some point, the homeschooling parent is not, actually, teaching every subject, but is facilitating learning and often relying on resources designed to be used by homeschooling parents without subject expertise or using outside resources.

And supplementing a child's education as a parent through enrichment is a completely different thing from being solely responsible for the child's entire education - and that is scary.

The parent may also worry how it alters the dynamic between child and parent: will taking on the role of a teacher damage the parent-child relationship?

It makes perfect sense to me that he would be questioning his ability to teach one's children everything. In fact, it would surprise me if people never doubted their abilities to homeschool. I know many of us do, on a regular basis.

And you mention his work: taking on homeschooling while working outside the house is yet another, much higher, hurdle than homeschooling as a stay at home parent. Of course one should be concerned how to pull this off.

• Like 4

Which he said he thinks he can't teach. 

That's what teacher's guides are for. I even overheard a public school teacher say this to a new teacher (in my old school) when he was wanting to branch out a bit for his class. "That's what the  teacher's guide is for - just follow the script." So, if he wants to homeschool but feels he can't teach, let him know that there are teacher's guides, and some teachers feel it is okay to just read what it says. He'd probably see the guide, then branch out with what he knows, which is more than some teachers.

I didn't know that happened today either and I've been homeschooling for years and we have read a lot of history books.  Ya can't know everything.  KWIM?

Would you want him to question your choices for your children? 

I would hope he would if he didn't like something I was doing. My father and I have been questioning each other for YEARS. This is just sort of how we roll. He used to take the opposite side on whatever I was doing, saying or whatever, even if he agreed with me just to get me to think. Often this helped me solidify my position. 

My father is one that is more or less live and let live though. So I can't think of a time where he thought I was being nuts, those around me he always thinks are nuts, but rarely me. But I know he doesn't agree with me politically so we never talk that way. I don't see homeschooling as a red state/blue state issue though. 

• Like 1

I may be educated enough but I don't have the energy or patience so I outsource. If I couldn't afford to outsource, I would have put kids in school and then afterschool

I can't teach. Luckily my kids are good at self-teaching. Lots of neighbors put kids in afterschool tuition because they think public schools aren't good enough but they can't (and/or don't wish to) teach.

Unless you are able to homeschool your siblings, as in they move in to your home, I'll leave matters be.

ETA:

For other people, I say I outsource and the people who asked me become more open to homeschooling. It's like instead of liaising with afterschool tutors, they liaise with tutors. Financially it doesn't cost them much more.

I guess I'd want to know if that really meant he just didn't want to.  If someone is determined to do something, they probably wouldn't right off the bat say they can't.

That's what I would want to know too.  For "I guess I SHOULD homeschool because the public school is doing such a lousy job, but ugh, it really doesn't appeal to me," I don't know that I'd try to convince the person to homeschool.  I might suggest cyber school, if social and other stuff was the main reason for considering homeschooling, rather than problems with the actual education.

For "Homeschooling wasn't my first choice, and I'm still not convinced, but since the public school is doing such a lousy job, I'm willing to consider it," then I'd be more positive, but I'm not sure what I'd suggest.  I think I'd suggest a local support group or even a co-op, or a local umbrella school, if that is something their state has, because they could get real time support as questions arose (unless you live close; I might have missed that in the OP), because they might need to see how homeschooling actually works in practice.  If they lived close, I might invite them to come over and see the materials we use and what an actual day looks like at our house.

For "I really think I'd like to try homeschooling, but it's overwhelming because it's new and different," I'd start breaking down the objections.  Person isn't confident in math?  Here's a curriculum that works well for the non-mathy parent to teach.  Overwhelmed by reporting requirements and testing and portfolios?  Here's a website or support group that can help.  Not sure how to get PE for homeschoolers?  Here are gym classes for homeschoolers.  Worried about social opportunities?  (Try not to choke with laughter, haha.)  Here are all these activities and social things your homeschooled child can do.  I think sometimes those sorts of concerns CAN be just thinly veiled objections to the whole idea of homeschooling, but I think sometimes they really are genuine questions to which the parent really needs some help in finding answers.

• Like 5

Typically when people say this, I say something non-contradictory but which sounds like it would be supportive of them rethinking that.  I feel like I shouldnt get into convincing people i don't know well.

If it was someone I was really close to who I thought might really have some kind of an interest or really wanted another option, I think I would ask a few questions.  There are a lot of reasons people might really feel that way.  having to fit in work is one good reason.  Another is that they are thinking in terms of managing a class, which is really a different kettle of fish.

But I think the main thing I would say, unless I thought this person was really not up to it, is that a lot of different kids of people homeschool really well, there are lots of good resourcess, and based on m knowledge of him that he would do a good job.

I would tell him that if there's a point when he thinks it would be worthwhile, you're available to advise as needed. But as long as he thinks the current setup is good enough, he probably will not be interested.

We all make choices about when to put in the work to get something better. Things that seem to be good enough are not an obvious target. If he no longer likes what he is seeing from the charter school, he'll inquire further. I think it's like the threads about what pushes people to commit to a healthier lifestyle (often a diagnosis).

I am happy to tell people that there are a lot of ways to hs, and many people can do it, but I don't think everyone needs to try it.

• Like 3

"Can't" could mean any number of things.

Don't want to.

Don't have the patience for it.

Don't have the energy for it.

Don't have the organization skills for it. (A lot of addicts have undiagnosed ADHD.)

Don't have true interest in it.

Don't want a change of lifestyle/routine.

Don't want to live outside the norm.

Don't want the responsibility.

Don't want to have less time for other interests.

It may just be a response meant to shut down the suggestion, not to invite a counter to the extremely generalized position. Like others have said, I would never push someone to homeschool, minus severe unaddressed issues/trauma for the child.

• Like 7

I understand you and your dad have the kind of relationship where you can speak frankly, but this sounds like a set-up to me. If I got an answer like that, I would consider my father was being polite because he loves me, but he doesn't want to have to answer to me. Perhaps your dad is trying to give you a vague answer to let the subject drop. Home education is a serious undertaking. He may not want the responsibility, he may not want to put for the effort, he may think the professionals can do it better overall. 

• Like 11

I am 25 and 27 years older then my youngest siblings. This has created some interesting conversations with our father. One of which the state of the public education system. I have been saying for about 12-13 years now that I was going to homeschool. So it is no surprise that my 6 year old isn't in public school. However my father is realizing that public school doesn't really teach important things either. His first excuse was that his daughters were learning Chinese through an immersion program. However the first one aged out of the intensive part of that, and the younger one will age out at the end of this year. Now he says that he can't teach. Funny as he has been teaching me how to think my whole life, even when he was a really crappy parent (he is 18 years sober). Which I must say is more then I can say for most of my public education. 

I obviously want what is best for my sisters, and I know dad does too. I think if he had to put them in the school where he lives (and didn't drive them nearly an hour each way to go to this charter school) he would have the motivation to homeschool. When my sisters and him were out here (they live on the other side of the country) last year, they both thought my son got the better end of the stick when it came to schooling. I told them that he normally is only in school for about 4 hours a day. Something I really don't see growing that much as he gets older. 

So what to do say to those people that think they are not smart enough, educated enough, ___ enough to homeschool?

First, I accept in my heart that some people AREN'T cut out to homeschool/wanting to homeschool, whether for this moment or for this season or for a lifetime (and not because they are stupid or the are blind to their choices but because they just are not of that mindset, at least not at this time) and it isn't something I should be pushing on someone else or judging.  

Truly, the only time I would feel obligated to push this would be if I felt strongly for my own kids and my DH was uncertain.  I would then advocate.  DH and I would need to be in agreement to successfully homeschool.  Even then, this would require frank but supportive discussions and understanding on both sides, not pressing an agenda with the assumption that homeschooling is the only way to go and any other opinion is invalid ('cause I honestly don't believe it is the only way to go for every family but I also believe in showing respect for another person's education choices).

Then, if it is someone I think would be interested in homeschooling, I share as they show interest.  I offer honest assessment of the good and the bad if they ask, offer to show resources, etc. as they indicate interest.  

If they genuinely feel they cannot, and have not asked for my advice, I drop it.  Otherwise, they may start to get defensive and even less interested in homeschooling.  They may start trying to defend their own choices and feel backed into a corner instead of just listening and thinking about homeschooling as an option.

Bottom line, homeschooling is hard.  It takes a lot of dedication and a certain mindset.  If someone is dragged into it reluctantly/out of guilt, it may not work at all.  It needs to be their decision, not mine, KWIM?

• Like 2

I understand you and your dad have the kind of relationship where you can speak frankly, but this sounds like a set-up to me. If I got an answer like that, I would consider my father was being polite because he loves me, but he doesn't want to have to answer to me. Perhaps your dad is trying to give you a vague answer to let the subject drop. Home education is a serious undertaking. He may not want the responsibility, he may not want to put for the effort, he may think the professionals can do it better overall. 

This.

Don't you think your father knows how he wants to educate his children? Don't most parents know that?

He's humoring you, sparring with you, debating with you a little, but you notice the one thing he's not doing is homeschooling is children.

As to the question put forth in the thread, I don't tell people what they can or can't do. I tend to think they already know, far better than I.

• Like 8

My answer is similar to Regentrudes, "You might be surprised. I would have said the same x years ago." If they pursue it, I will continue the conversation, but usually it drops at this point because the excuses are code for "I don't want to" or "I don't believe in homeschooling but don't want to hurt your feelings."

I never try to convince someone to homeschool. My experience is that those who aren't really committed do a lousy job. I've seen a few families where the dad wanted to homeschool and convinced the mom to try it. Disaster always ensues. Kids eventually end up back in ps, only behind now and everyone is worse for wear.

• Like 2

This is true. How often have people posted here asking for advice on how to politely shut down conversations on their homeschooling choices with family or friends? The advice is usually the same, at first. When the "opponent" persists, the answer becomes more blunt. Basically, the continuous homeschooling conversations (that he is not bringing up) can equate to questioning his parenting choices, something we homeschoolers do not like to happen to us. We must respect others' decisions, just as we want to be respected in our decisions.

• Like 6

"Yes, that's probably true." And leave it at that.

Oh wait, it's your dad and you're trying to be nice. ;) Really, I think the others have all bit it on the head. He doesn't want to. Good heavens, he's been parenting for 30 years. With my kids spread I'll be parenting for 30 years once the last one gets out of high school. I don't know if I'll last that long homeschooling. He may just be tired, he may not want to be with his kids all.day.long. He's giving you a nice reason, I'd just leave it at that. You're unlikely to persuade him otherwise anyway.

• Like 1

I tell them that I thought that, too.

Homeschooling was never on my radar, was not anything I had planned, but did when it was clear that public school did not work for my children. I did it because it was the only option.

Other than that: it is not my place to convince other people that they should homeschool their children. If somebody asks me for advice, I will tell them how I made it work, answer their questions, point them to resources. If somebody tells me they would really love to homeschool but are scared, concerned, worried that they won't be able to, then I will help them figure out that, and how, they can. But if somebody does not really want to homeschool, I don't say anything.

This says it pretty well.  I never thought I would be a homeschooler either.

But yes, I will happily give info to someone who shows genuine interest and asks for it.  But I'm not going to push it on anyone.

I agree with those saying they don't try and talk those people into homeschooling. Personally I love homeschooling and it has been such a blessing for our family. I never thought I could teach my children and I've seen them blossom and surpass every goal I had for them. It's also not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. That being said I have friends that home school but really dislike it and plan on putting their kids back in school. I would hate to convince someone to do something they hadn't originally wanted to and it turns out they aren't cut out for it. I will offer advice only if asked. My general answer when someone says they are considering homeschooling is to pray about it. I don't think every family should or can home school. I view my job as a friend/relative is to be a support not to talk them into something they don't want to do or make them feel bad about their choices (not saying that's what you are doing).  

• Like 2

It sounds like your father just doesn't want to homeschool, so he's coming up with excuses for you. I wouldn't say anything to him. Not everyone can, or should, homeschool. I know some people who feel pressured into homeschool, so they do, and they are burnt out, hate it, and their children are NOT receiving a very good education because of it.

Homeschool is not always superior to brick and mortar school. 

It sounds like your father just doesn't want to homeschool, so he's coming up with excuses for you. I wouldn't say anything to him. Not everyone can, or should, homeschool. I know some people who feel pressured into homeschool, so they do, and they are burnt out, hate it, and their children are NOT receiving a very good education because of it.

Homeschool is not always superior to brick and mortar school. 

:iagree:

You are baiting him.

• Like 4

In your specific conversation, with your specific dad, and your specific relationship, I'd say lighthearted, yet encouraging things.

"Eh, I don't know how to teach."

"Aw, Dad! You've taught me so much! You could do it. Listen, if you ever want to talk about it seriously, you know I'll try to answer any questions you have or point you to resources that can help you teach. They have all kinds of teacher's guides out there that do the 'teaching' for you."

Let him respond. If he mumbles and changes the subjects, let it go. If he keeps going, you keep going, albeit gently.

That's it. You don't preach. You don't convince. You just say nice, uplifting things and let him know you will be a source of knowledge if he needs it.

You can always be wry and say, "Dad, whenever you talk about school, you know I'm going to give a mini plug for homeschooling, right?" Then, give your mini plug and let it go. Sounds like he'll respect your light comments as long as you don't get heavy handed and obnoxious about it. A little plug, a bit of encouragement, and a listening ear is enough.

• Like 3

I typically give the ole' "smile & nod" to people who say they can't HS.  What else is there to say?

Given your warm and open relationship with your dad, I still wouldn't push it, but I would gently encourage him in the ways he *already* is teaching your sisters at home.  You say he taught you how to think...he's doing the same for them, I'm sure.  And, maybe he knows that he wouldn't have the energy for those after school moments if he were caught up in HSing all day, day in, day out.  That is a very real struggle.

I've had a few people in my life who were in NO to HSing camp who have come around for various reasons. No one ever came around b/c I talked about it. However, I do think that quietly watching my little family from afar did have an impact. jme.

First, I accept in my heart that some people AREN'T cut out to homeschool/wanting to homeschool, whether for this moment or for this season or for a lifetime (and not because they are stupid or the are blind to their choices but because they just are not of that mindset, at least not at this time) and it isn't something I should be pushing on someone else or judging.  

Truly, the only time I would feel obligated to push this would be if I felt strongly for my own kids and my DH was uncertain.  I would then advocate.  DH and I would need to be in agreement to successfully homeschool.  Even then, this would require frank but supportive discussions and understanding on both sides, not pressing an agenda with the assumption that homeschooling is the only way to go and any other opinion is invalid ('cause I honestly don't believe it is the only way to go for every family but I also believe in showing respect for another person's education choices).

Then, if it is someone I think would be interested in homeschooling, I share as they show interest.  I offer honest assessment of the good and the bad if they ask, offer to show resources, etc. as they indicate interest.  

If they genuinely feel they cannot, and have not asked for my advice, I drop it.  Otherwise, they may start to get defensive and even less interested in homeschooling.  They may start trying to defend their own choices and feel backed into a corner instead of just listening and thinking about homeschooling as an option.

Bottom line, homeschooling is hard.  It takes a lot of dedication and a certain mindset.  If someone is dragged into it reluctantly/out of guilt, it may not work at all.  It needs to be their decision, not mine, KWIM?

:iagree: Agreeing with the whole post! :) Like One Step, I would advocate with my husband if I felt strongly (one way or the other) about a choice for our children. But he's their parent, too, so he has as much invested in their lives as I do. What if he wanted us to continue, but I felt burned out? Time to discuss options. What if he was uncertain, but I wanted to continue? Time to discuss options. If we were not on the same page at any point in this journey, that would require frank and supportive discussions here, too. And our perspective on homeschooling has changed again and again over the years. LOL, we are much less philosophical now and much more practical. At the end of the day, you can go on all you like about philosophy, but math just has to get done. KWIM?

In our household, we have to be in agreement about things for them to work well, but once we share the vision, watch out! :D 

Would your father be solely responsible for homeschooling your siblings, or does he have someone who would share the load?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a bit of an update on this. My father recently found out that his school district is one of the ones that refuses to suspend/expel children. This is NOT okay with him. He feels that this will be a bigger issue once his children get to high school (I think this is in a couple of years). So he may yet be a reluctant homeschooler. I didn't say a word about homeschooling when he told me, but I think it is in the back of his mind. I think he is afraid that his children don't have enough discipline to do the schoolwork everyday (even at a virtual school) and that they would just ended up dropping out. :(

My father works out of the home doing computer repair. He says he drives about 80 miles a day though so he isn't home all the time. Some of that is because my sisters go to school on the other side of town too. My step mother works from home and does house calls as a nurse. So both are in and out most days. However they are sometimes gone all day too.

My sisters are currently 13 and 11. Both have a birthday yet this year.

I don't know my siblings well, but they have both said that they would miss their friends if they were homeschooled like my son (when I talked to them last year). They live in OR so virtual school is an option for them. I am just not sure how much work is involved in that from the parents perspective.

Personally I think my sisters are bright enough to realize that they need at least a high school diploma to get ANYWHERE in this world today. So I don't think that they would just drop out. However I can see where our father would be scared that he isn't enough ___ to follow through.

My sisters are currently 13 and 11. Both have a birthday yet this year.

Personally I think my sisters are bright enough to realize that they need at least a high school diploma to get ANYWHERE in this world today. So I don't think that they would just drop out.

Those ages are tough for friends with daughters in that age group. Being bright is no guarantee of putting the effort to get the high school diploma regardless of homeschool or B&M school. I know a friend's child who is very bright, finished high school without a diploma and then going from job to job living with her boyfriend. She does know that going to community college would help her future job prospects but she just isn't interested in getting a GED or going to community college (with parents offering financial support).

Sometimes maturity comes much later regardless of whatever reality they see.

My father nor I think they will drop out if they stay in public school, my father is more worried about a few bad apples that can't be ridden of in school, making it so they can't learn anything. Public school in the best of situations is the bare minimum of education standards. You do anything to jepordize that and it becomes pointless.

My father nor I think they will drop out if they stay in public school, my father is more worried about a few bad apples that can't be ridden of in school, making it so they can't learn anything. Public school in the best of situations is the bare minimum of education standards. You do anything to jepordize that and it becomes pointless.

This is just not true everywhere.

I usually just nod and smile unless I think they are very interested and really want to homeschool. Even then, I usually only offer something very mild about how raising children is hard whether you homeschool or not, there's pros and cons, they may be capable of more than they think, and to call me if they'd like to talk sometime. I don't bring it up again unless they do. 

Most of the time I don't think people are really interested. 

Their schedules do NOT sound conducive to homeschooling unless they are very, very dedicated to it. Especially if the children do not WANT to homeschool. Teenagers brought home against their will to homeschool, left to their own devices, is a recipe for disaster - at least academic, if not including "other". You can't assume that these children will educate themselves in their parents' absence.

• Like 1

Sometimes, I am so weary of trying to prop everybody up that I just say, "You're probably right."

The funny thing is that then they get all defensive and think of all the reasons they are PERFECTLY QUALIFIED to homeschool...and I just say, "SEE???"

LOL