Menu

Does anyone else still feel too burned out to start planning?

Whenever I start to think about pinning down plans and lessons and resources and schedules, my brain just shuts down. I can't seem to organize the simplest of thoughts. It's like there are squirrels in my head or something :willy_nilly:  I know we need to start on the 15th, but ugh! I really can't seem to settle down and get to planning.

Is it just me? 

I'm with ya.  

I'm not sure I'm burned out still from school, or just burned out from summer! (Fair and 4H and rodeos and camps…Aaargh!)  Fortunately, I always seem to do quite a bit of planning in the late spring, just before we let out.  So, I'm still coasting on that little head start...

Whenever I start to think about pinning down plans and lessons and resources and schedules, my brain just shuts down. I can't seem to organize the simplest of thoughts. It's like there are squirrels in my head or something :willy_nilly: I know we need to start on the 15th, but ugh! I really can't seem to settle down and get to planning.

Is it just me?

Perhaps you need to get something in a box this year to make it easier on you?

I'm with ya.

I'm not sure I'm burned out still from school, or just burned out from summer! (Fair and 4H and rodeos and camps…Aaargh!) Fortunately, I always seem to do quite a bit of planning in the late spring, just before we let out. So, I'm still coasting on that little head start...

I'm with ya as well.

I was right there too, but basically I just had to buckle down and get it done. I was even looking up private schools and enrollment procedures but that is just not realistic for this year. Once I started with a little bit at a time, it wasn't too bad. I just have a couple more things to enter into HST+ and science to plan.

I was fine, perfectly fine, until I realized everything starts Monday. I thought we were going to have a lull for a month or so, but that never seemed to happen. Now we're trying to do last minute scheduling and supply organization. The panic is starting to set in. All this seemed brilliant a couple months ago... :huh:

I'm off to search for the perfect bag to hold the books and supplies needed to fill the hours of the commuting and waiting in various rooms and fields....I'm open to suggestions...(and chocolate--always open to chocolate...)

I was doing so much better after my first bad case of burnout last year. We were going to start school this Wednesday. Then my parents decided to have a quick visit before school starts. Wah-waaaah. This visit is going to set us back at least till next Monday. And today, even after posting in this thread, I bought more unnecessary school supplies and (obviously totally necessary) supplements, because fun school stuff is my burnout medicine and books are my "guests and fish" medicine. LOL

I am.

I'd love a summer off, but it never works out that way. Every year I dream about how nice it would be to get a boxed curriculum with lesson plans already in place.  I've never used a boxed curriculum, but I just don't think it would work with the family.  This year I would try it.  It's been a long, trying year with just general life stuff.  Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow due to a broken water line and a $2000 water bill, which was not expected (the broken A/C at the house we rent out in Florida didn't help either).

I was fine, perfectly fine, until I realized everything starts Monday. I thought we were going to have a lull for a month or so, but that never seemed to happen. Now we're trying to do last minute scheduling and supply organization. The panic is starting to set in. All this seemed brilliant a couple months ago... :huh:

I'm off to search for the perfect bag to hold the books and supplies needed to fill the hours of the commuting and waiting in various rooms and fields....I'm open to suggestions...(and chocolate--always open to chocolate...)

I love bags! Have you looked at Levenger? They have some very well-organized bags that will last you a long time. :) Just an idea.

I just looked again and thought oh, I didn't mean the super-expensive ones! Wow! I'm sure those are great, but I love my Bloomsbury book tote. I think the staff bag and the go staff bag look great and those close, which is important if you are out in bad weather.

You read my mind! ;)

I was considering the Bloomsbury, but was concerned about rain. I'll check the others you mentioned. Thanks!

Ugh, this is me, too.  Actually, I'm organized except for history, but as I told my dh last night, I don't want July to end yet, because August means I have to start working again, and I just can't shake my serious case of the can't-be-bothereds....

Boooo, it's August anyway!

I just looked again and thought oh, I didn't mean the super-expensive ones! Wow! I'm sure those are great, but I love my Bloomsbury book tote. I think the staff bag and the go staff bag look great and those close, which is important if you are out in bad weather.

Did you know they have an outlet?

http://www.levenger.com/OUTLET-9/Bags---Folios-Outlet-1203.aspx

I spent a lot of time over our time off organizing, scheduling, and directing enrollment, classes and lead teachers for co-op.  Organizing 30 families and 80 children was actually a diversion from what I should have been doing but just couldn't bring myself to take care of ... planning the new school year for my 5 dc.  Every time I would sit down to think about writing lesson plans for our school year my mind would race and I'd put it all away again.  

So, over the past few weeks I've shelved some of the most teacher intensive programs and sprung for some more independent or open and go programs. Now, instead of having to write my own lessons for 7 subjects between 5 dc I'm only going to have to write my own plans for 1 subject that 3 of them will share.  WOOHOO!   :hurray:

Granted, the new programs weren't my first choice and aren't strictly classical, which is what I prefer to use, but they are good, strong programs and I feel strongly that they might just be more effective for this year than what I might have tried to organize myself. 

I'm still not super excited about starting THIS MONDAY  :scared: , but I AM ready. 

[quote name="Woodland Mist Academy" post="5828312" timestamp="1

ETA messed up the quote, but my suggestions are as follows:

Bag: thirty-one Deluxe Utility Tote

Chocolate: Green & Black's Organic Milk Chocolate Almond bar. :)

I am not burned out, but not ready for summer to be over, either. I love summer and am not ready for the structure and pace of the school year. I want another month to go to the pool, catch lightning bugs and all those other fun things.

My planning is done. I have lots of open and go and my kids are young and I only have 2, so not so much work as some of you have to do. Waiting for math books to come for DS.

We start the 18th.

I think I've looked at it before. I see they have the Bloomsbury in the outlet section. Bloomsbury is great for at-home reading, post-it notes, etc.

By the way, I don't regularly shop from Levenger. :) Right after I posted about it, I thought oh no, I forgot about all their ridiculously-priced stuff! In about 15 years, I have splurged on about three of their things. I would love to get the Nantucket Lapreader, but I'm sure I could find something similar elsewhere for less. But I do love to drool over the catalogs.

Whenever I start to think about pinning down plans and lessons and resources and schedules, my brain just shuts down. I can't seem to organize the simplest of thoughts. It's like there are squirrels in my head or something :willy_nilly: I know we need to start on the 15th, but ugh! I really can't seem to settle down and get to planning.

Is it just me?

There are some subjects that I am just done with, and by done I mean I don't want to think about them anymore, not finished planning.

We start the 24th.  DS *still* hasn't finished his poetry unit, which was *supposed* to be done by today.     "I have a schedule to get it done this week," is what he told me when I checked.   :cursing:   Now he'll get to spend all Sunday afternoon with Mom to finish up b/c I am beyond sick and tired of dragging out this school year.

I just bought my new planner last night and the thought of sitting down to write in it makes me shudder.

This is so me.   I haven't even started planning for school which is definitely NOT how I do things.   But I have been working all day every day for the past 2 1/2 months.  Monday is my deadline, so this weekend is my last glued to work days.   By next weekend, my goal is to actually START my summer vacation!   I am taking 2 weeks off, then I'll regroup.   We are starting the latest we ever have, after Labor Day.   Normally, this week would have been our first week back.   It is really going to throw me off during the yr b/c I won't be able to have all our lovely week long breaks, but I will also have the fewest students I have had since my oldest 4 were all school age, so that does simplify things.  Plus, not having a graduating sr or a planning jr is a huge weight off my shoulders.   I am sooooooo glad that my oldest schoolager this yr is only a sophomore.

Yes! me.  I *thought* a couple weeks off from swim team and such would help...but no.  Monday we start a light schedule.  As in day after tomorrow  :lol:   I am meeting a friend at the library for a major planning session...I should prob get up and go get my things together.

eta: few more min THEn i will :-)

Yes, I'm with you.  I've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately.  Instead of just getting it done, I've just shut down and procrastinated.  We haven't done anything fun this summer, money is an issue, and the weather has been so not summer-like that I'm having trouble even thinking about starting the fall stuff again.

Kind of. Bringing DD back home this year was kind of last minute for us, so scheduling a very mom intensive year with my kindergartner AND a fairly mom intensive year with DD12 (dyslexic, so much of her reading and all of her language arts is mom dependent) is throwing me for a loop. DD also decided she wanted to study for the National Mythology Exam and the National Latin Exam (we had dropped Latin with her), but I think I won't add those studies in until October or November, if I can get away with it.

<<raising hand>> Ooo...ooo...me!

I just said goodbye to my 4th set of houseguests this summer, our AC broke in June, my husband is traveling a ton for work, and a hail storm recently destroyed our roof and we need to pay a huge deductible to replace it. Boo.

My oldest is applying for a Naval Academy appointment this year and that alone is sending me into a catatonic panicked state.

Just a few days of quiet and I'll get right on that. ;-)

I'll only have one home this year and I still can't manage to get myself together. Right now I'm just telling myself to make life easy and follow the MODG plan, with WWE and Singapore PM. I can always tweak later. 

It's sad that I've come to the point that I don't even have the motivation to tweak.

Me too.

I'm not burned out, just overwhelmed with trying to figure out logic stage and how to make things more rigorous than they have been. DD I'm not worried about as she's using the same materials DS used and they work well for her. She's already completed most of our first grade materials so there's some wiggle room there. DS is a bit behind, is moving to logic stage so I need new materials (I wish SWB has logic stage history), and has recently taken up an instrument so that's going on too. I'm stressed about his plans.

I thought I had a month to plan (school in the summer but start the new grade in September) but in-laws have announced a 10-day visit and a few other things have come up. DH is leaving town for 5 days right after in-laws leave.

Panic time!  :willy_nilly:

Yes, I'm with you.  I've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately.  Instead of just getting it done, I've just shut down and procrastinated.  We haven't done anything fun this summer, money is an issue, and the weather has been so not summer-like that I'm having trouble even thinking about starting the fall stuff again.

YES!  I feel like we have just starting having summer like weather the past couple of weeks.  Now that I've finally warmed up, I realize that cold weather will again be the bane of my existence.  I myself bought an all in one program because I needed a break from planning.  While I'm not excited to start it, at least I don't have to think about it.  We start with 1-2 subjects the first week, add another subject the 2nd week, and then when school starts for everyone  else, we start full speed ahead also.  That means I have two weeks left of not teaching my children.  WAHHHHH.  I've been burnt out for a few years now.  I realized it started when we adopted little miss.  Yes, we looked at private schools (the only private school around here is Catholic and we're not at all Catholic but we can work with that),  but the cost is too much for us and we make too much to qualify for much of a scholarship.  We're in the middle- not rich enough to afford private schooling, but not poor enough to get help paying for it.  

I'm not burned out, but I am weary to my bones.  The kids have stayed very busy this summer with classes and camps, which means I've stayed very busy driving them all over town.   We have nothing planned for August, so I'll get the first six weeks planned out soon.  I don't make detailed plans beyond that, because there's really no point.  I know I'll end up tweaking things.

Kind of. Bringing DD back home this year was kind of last minute for us, so scheduling a very mom intensive year with my kindergartner AND a fairly mom intensive year with DD12 (dyslexic, so much of her reading and all of her language arts is mom dependent) is throwing me for a loop. DD also decided she wanted to study for the National Mythology Exam and the National Latin Exam (we had dropped Latin with her), but I think I won't add those studies in until October or November, if I can get away with it.

Sounds like us. We decided at the end of the school year, like a few days after the last day of school, to bring dd back home. She's starting 9th, so it's been a crash course on high school requirements. I'm just barely getting materials in, so haven't planned at all. Thankfully, dd2 is preschool and doesn't require much planning.

I thought i'd have time what with camps and such, neglecting to realize that I have to drive back and forth to said camps and still occupy a 3 year old in the meantime. Is there sleep away tennis camp and where do I sign up? It feels obscene to complain as foreign language, programming, literature are all outsourced. History almost so with SOTW.

I thought i'd have time what with camps and such, neglecting to realize that I have to drive back and forth to said camps and still occupy a 3 year old in the meantime. Is there sleep away tennis camp and where do I sign up? 

Personally, I think the homeschooling parents need a sleep away camp to get this stuff done. 

I had done a lot of planning in the spring and then took a break, a long break. We just started back last week with what ended up being a partial week. I still have more I could and should do for planning but we just jumped in anyway as obviously waiting wasnt getting it done. I only have 2 though, dd (2nd) is just open and go and most of ds' stuff is open and go as well. We took off for 3 months, I cannot believe it was that long as I only planned to break about a month and then do some summer schooling. I however really needed the break. I had pushed and pushed along through burn-out and not feeling well I needed time just to regroup. I had this grand list of all these things we were going to do as well but my list is still way longer than I would like. On the plus side I am feeling loads better and finally feeling like Im on the road to recovery. We're already off to a better start than last year when dd3 screamed off and on the whole flippin'day, not too hard to improve over that! I did also reorganize our books and supplies which is greatly helping me feel much more together. 

*raising my hand* I am so there. I've had a few moments where I thought I was ready to start school. (Our original start date was TODAY.) I cleaned up, planned a bit, organized binders, ordered some new things. Then all of a sudden it has come to a screeching halt. I feel exhausted, overwhelmed and unmotivated. Really dizzy with it all. I dunno, maybe it's because I spent the last two weeks running my dc to and from camp every.single.day. Ugh! I need a Mommy vaca. Stat.  :scared:  :confused1:   :willy_nilly:  :cheers2:  B)

I feel compelled to update and say that I have started planning.  I downloaded the infamous One Note and dove in.  It's coming along, though planning out for four children is time consuming.  I'm saving my Tapestry of Grace for last because I don't want to make decisions about what books to pick just yet.  Instead, I came here to waste time research some more for next year.  :D