Menu

Does the USPS regularly help UPS deliver packages?

I just checked UPS tracking on a package coming from Vitacost. The most recent update this morning was that the package is in a town 10 minutes away, and this is what it said:

12/21/2011 9:39 A.M. Package transferred to post office

Huh? Does the USPS contract out to help private delivery companies nowadays? I can see why it might, but I've never heard of it before!

My mom used to work for L.L. Bean, and their packages used to be delivered this was. It was called "Smart Post." The first leg of the journey is by UPS or FedEx and the second is by USPS. Somehow this saves them money. It really slows things down. I think the UPS hub near our house might drive by half the houses in town before it got to the post office! Efficient, huh?

Wow, I had no idea! Well, we'll see how this turns out then. The package is marked on the Vitacost site as scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, and I know it's practically within spitting distance right now. I didn't pay for any expedited shipping or anything, so I guess I really can't complain at all. But I'd love for our toothpaste to get here sooner rather than later!

Thanks everyone :D

Yep, they do it a lot now. I don't know what makes them decide which ones they will and which ones they won't transfer to the PO.

It was REALLY frustrating to me, because it would say it was at the post office (to be delivered the following day), which is, idk, maybe 1.5 miles from my house? Like, for real?? I have to wait an extra day because they decided to do the post office. :glare:

But yeah, I think the first package I had come to me via USPS from UPS was back in March.

Ups has the post office in our area deliver for them every once in awhile.

the only problem is that in our small town some people don't have the option to have regular mail delivered to their home by a mail carrier and they have to have a po box at the post office.

well even though UPS would deliver to the persons street address if it was transfered to the post carrier to deliver if it is an address that doesn't have street delivery and they have to use the po box they send the package . It makes no sense!! my poor cousin had a hard time ordering something online because of this so now she only orders online if she knows they would deliver by fed ex.

It depends on the method of shipping that the company picks. It is supposed to be cheaper for the company to ship via some delivery company to your local post office. It's just another delivery option instead of a full UPS/FedEx/DHL delivery, just like media mail, parcel post, first class, etc.

Yes, it is called Smartpost. Not very smart, if you ask me. I hate it!!! I've had numerous packages come that way. It takes longer. Plus our postal carrier does not bring the package to our home, she leaves a slip in the mail and we have to drive all the way to the post office to pick it up. The slip says "sorry I missed you"..... umm... you never stopped by. sigh

Yeah, what a dumb idea. If I wanted to use the USPS I would have it shipped by them in the first place. I just had a package go hundreds of miles with UPS in three days then sit for five days at the USPS a few miles from my house. Brilliant.

This is now the norm around here sadly. Wonder whose bright idea this was?

I've never heard of this before this thread. Do they only do this in rural areas?

No, I live in Oklahoma City/Moore area and it happens to me all the time. I usually order the free shipping on Amazon and all of my packages have been coming this way. I'm afraid to pay for expensive shipping because if they used this method also, I'd be hot.

Do you know ahead of time that it will be shipped that way? I would be upset if I paid for UPS and got USPS instead. I hate USPS and that is why I pay more to have something delivered UPS instead. I haven't encountered Smart Post before.

You won't pay a higher rate, because this is not UPS delivering your item. It's a company finding a low-cost shipper. It is not particularly fast.

I'd had it a couple times with fedex-->post office but lately I've had a few, including from amazon. One sat at my local post office for 3 days before being delivered!

Hate Smart post. I recently filed a complaint with Barnes and Noble because of this. We had ordered something and after it went through the UPS leg, it sat at our post office for over a week before they decided to deliver it. Amazon has been doing this a lot lately as well under the free super saver shipping. I am getting back my Prime membership ASAP.

I don't mind this so much if I'm getting free shipping, but if I pay for shipping, it ticks me off. American Girl did this to me last year around Christmas, and I almost didn't get my package on time. I ordered it Black Friday, and didn't get it until a few before Christmas :glare: I spoke with a customer service rep at American Girl and she said that in the future when I place orders, I can request that my package is NOT sent SmartPost. For what American Girl charges for their products and their high shipping costs, they better send my packages directly to my house! I don't care if they do it directly through USPS. I have no problem with regular USPS mail, but something gets screwy when it's transferred from UPS to USPS.

Yes, it is called Smartpost. Not very smart, if you ask me. I hate it!!! I've had numerous packages come that way. It takes longer. Plus our postal carrier does not bring the package to our home, she leaves a slip in the mail and we have to drive all the way to the post office to pick it up. The slip says "sorry I missed you"..... umm... you never stopped by. sigh

If your postal carrier is doing this you need to complain every time, and I mean EVERY time. My mom has been a postal carrier for over 30 years and they are NOT supposed to do this. They must attempt delivery and that means they have to get out and come to the door if it won't fit in the box. It may seem like a worthless endeavor but keep at it. My carrier isn't happy with me sometimes, but I'm very vocal when they are trying to shirk their duties.

As for smart post, I hate it. When ever things for me come smartpost they end up in and black hole in the WV FedEx hub for around a week. The reason they can end up at the PO for days is because, they are on the low end of the delivery totem pole. It's like media mail. If there is an overwhelming amount of mail, then can leave those things behind in order to complete all the higher level deliveries on that route in the normal allotted time.

I had them do this with a package I paid for overnight shipping on. Five days later, I emailed them that I hadn't received it and wanted a refund for the express shipping ($30 for a large envelope!)

They ignored that so when I finally got the "I missed you" slip, I didn't go pick it up. They ended up refunding everything, including the shipping.

If your postal carrier is doing this you need to complain every time, and I mean EVERY time. My mom has been a postal carrier for over 30 years and they are NOT supposed to do this. They must attempt delivery and that means they have to get out and come to the door if it won't fit in the box. It may seem like a worthless endeavor but keep at it. My carrier isn't happy with me sometimes, but I'm very vocal when they are trying to shirk their duties.

As for smart post, I hate it. When ever things for me come smartpost they end up in and black hole in the WV FedEx hub for around a week. The reason they can end up at the PO for days is because, they are on the low end of the delivery totem pole. It's like media mail. If there is an overwhelming amount of mail, then can leave those things behind in order to complete all the higher level deliveries on that route in the normal allotted time.

If you have a city carrier then you should complain. If you have a rural carrier, you can try complaining but they are independent contractors and are not obliged to attempt delivery, especially if you live on a dirt/gravel road. The postmaster here said they are not allowed to take postal vehicles on dirt/gravel roads. Our mailboxes (cluster boxes) are near the beginning of our subdivision for that reason.

Oh, and living in the city does not necessarily mean you have a city carrier. I live in a county that has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 20 years. The post office is considered "rural" even though we have several large shopping centers, 6-lane roads and I-95 runs right through the middle of the county. There are dozens and dozens of housing developments of all kinds and the traffic can be a nightmare sometimes. But, since our po started out as a rural po, we have rural carriers. They have a different union and different rules.

But definitely complain if you have a city carrier - unacceptable!!!

I've had that happen quite a few times when I don't pay for the higher postage. I despise it with a passion. I'm one block from the PO and it irks me to no end that it is that much more difficult to deliver to the house than the PO. Then the PO gets it here sometimes two days later.

I've had that happen quite a few times when I don't pay for the higher postage. I despise it with a passion. I'm one block from the PO and it irks me to no end that it is that much more difficult to deliver to the house than the PO. Then the PO gets it here sometimes two days later.

Everyone needs to complain to the companies they are buying from - it really isn't a USPS or UPS or FedEx issue. The carriers are the go-betweens and are only doing what they are hired/contracted to do. The companies that contract the deliveries are the ones you all should be complaining about and to. The USPS is only abiding by the terms of the contract they have signed with the other carriers. If they agree to deliver packages and it is agreed that those packages can be prioritized as low as media mail, then that's just the way things are. To effect a change, complain to the companies who are trying to save a buck by using this method of delivery.

If you have a city carrier then you should complain. If you have a rural carrier, you can try complaining but they are independent contractors and are not obliged to attempt delivery, especially if you live on a dirt/gravel road. The postmaster here said they are not allowed to take postal vehicles on dirt/gravel roads. Our mailboxes (cluster boxes) are near the beginning of our subdivision for that reason.

Oh, and living in the city does not necessarily mean you have a city carrier. I live in a county that has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 20 years. The post office is considered "rural" even though we have several large shopping centers, 6-lane roads and I-95 runs right through the middle of the county. There are dozens and dozens of housing developments of all kinds and the traffic can be a nightmare sometimes. But, since our po started out as a rural po, we have rural carriers. They have a different union and different rules.

But definitely complain if you have a city carrier - unacceptable!!!

I have complained every single time but I'm told that it's because we live in a mobile home community where the boxes are in a court yard type area. So, they can just leave a notice. I asked the postal carrier this and she said I have to call the 1 800 number to have it redelivered and it would take a couple extra days. Not helpful. I'll keep complaining though. The funny thing is.. she drives right by my home on her way to the postal boxes every single time. Very annoying.

I had that happen last Christmas. I sent dbil some cookies and truffles, and I mailed them overnight with freezer packs to arrive right before Christmas. His mail lady just left a slip and didn't attempt delivery (he was home,) and she got back after the PO closed, so he couldn't get the package until Monday. It all melted. :glare:

We have had USPS deliver our UPS a few times now, which stinks because our mail lady will cram any package into our mailbox to avoid getting out of the truck, even if she has to mangle it.

I hate the USPS here! Our magazines disappear, they regularly mix up our mail with our neighbors (we have received two of their paychecks even :001_huh:,) and everything is folded up and mushed when we receive it. And the local PO is horrid: rude workers, slow service. I drive to the next town over to use the PO, because they are nice there.

UPS OTOH is fabulous here!

Recently I had a postage-paid return, and it was supposed to be shipped via UPS. I accidentally brought to our local post office, and they said that's okay -- they now have an agreement with UPS so they can accept UPS packages. I didn't understand but didn't have time to think about it! Someone mentioned this may be more prevalent in small towns, perhaps?

Here is a lovely example of Smart Post:

December 21, 2011 02:40:00 PM Oklahoma City OK US Arrival Scan

December 19, 2011 08:03:00 PM Fedex Smartpost Dallas TX US Arrival Scan

December 18, 2011 08:59:44 PM Coffeyville KS US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

As you can see, my item left KS and came right thru OKC (where I live), down to Dallas and then back up to OKC. I still haven't received it. It seems it would have been quicker and cheaper to drop that item off at OKC on the way thru to Dallas instead of take it all the way to Dallas and back up again. :001_huh:

I've had Fedex Smartpost before, and it's always slow. However, this Christmas was the first time I experienced UPS Mail Innovations. It was awful. My package sat 30 minutes away at the Greensboro post office for a week. Here's what the tracking looked like:

Dec 12 2011 2:27PM Package delivered by local post office GRAHAM, NC

Dec 12 2011 9:23AM Package out for post office delivery GRAHAM, NC

Dec 12 2011 9:13AM Package Sorted by local post office GRAHAM, NC

Dec 12 2011 8:05AM Received by the local post office GRAHAM, NC

Dec 5 2011 7:32AM Shipment Info Received by Post Office GREENSBORO, NC

Dec 5 2011 Package transferred to Post Office GREENSBORO, NC

Dec 5 2011 Ready for post office entry

Dec 5 2011 Package received by dest MI facility Durham, NC

Dec 3 2011 Package transferred to dest MI facility Logan Township, NJ

Dec 2 2011 Package processed by Mail Innovations Logan Township, NJ

Dec 2 2011 Package received for processing Logan Township, NJ

Dec 1 2011 Shipment information received

The first time I experienced SmartPost, I had been tracking my package via Fedex. It said it was delivered to an address across town. I freaked out and called and said it had been delivered to the wrong address, yadda, yadda, yadda. I finally put together that it had been delivered to the post office and then it took a few days after to get here. Nope, not a fan either. :glare:

Whew! After all these stories, I'm going to consider myself very lucky! The package did arrive today, delivered to our door by our very nice mail carrier, while the kids did the happy dance (over new packages of toothpaste--odd children :001_huh:). I had no idea this was such a problem though, so I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for future delivery issues via this system.

Thanks everyone!