Menu

So is Ree (Pioneer Woman) rich now?

On her blog the other day, she showed a picture of what looked like a whole mall FULL of people waiting to see her at her book signing. She's really famous now! I would imagine with her book sales (obviously good) mixed with the money from the ads on her site, that she is making a killing??? It's amazing to me that one could go from unknown to famous in just a few years due to a blog. And then to go from Rancher's wife to rich wife is even more incredible.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have said, Ree is already worth millions of dollars but the success of her book and her website have made her $$$$$. Her website alone probably brings in about $300,000+/yr.

I think they have about 120,000 acres in OK and MM's parents sold off a chunk for about 20mil about 10 years ago.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Someone who provides that much entertainment to so many women (and a few men) across the country should be rewarded for her efforts.

Though I also agree that one should not assume she wasn't already well off. Have you ever looked at how much it takes to run a farm or ranch??? Or how easy it is to lose the whole shebang due to factors completely beyond your control?

Terri

When we lived in farm country, I was told once to never ask a farmer or rancher the size of their land -- it was like asking the size of their bank account.

Who knows, maybe Ree would have a laugh, and I don't think she needs anyone to stick-up for her, but.....

I find this question to be...rude. :glare: It's not like she's a stranger here even though she's in the public eye. Would you want someone speculating as to the size of your bank account on the Boards knowing you weren't logged in? I find it similar taking about Mrs. So-and-so while she is on vacation at the weekly kaffeeklatsch. Please, I'm not attacking anyone specifically, just a gentle reminder to remember your manners :).

ETA:

Much congratulations on your success. We are all proud of you!!!

note to the curious...public speculation about someone else's affairs is gauche.

We must have "simulposted" -- I wrote and re-wrote my post because I feel kind of strongly about this, and didn't want to come off as sounding holier-than-thou...even though I probably did.

Edited by BikeBookBread

That's just the way I was taught. I don't mean to offend, just have had speculation done to me before and it is offensive.

The landholdings aren't speculation.

http://209.196.57.230/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=MultiPublishing&mod=PublishingTitles&mid=6EECC0FE471F4CA995CE2A3E9A8E4207&tier=4&id=101E01474344402E9C6F72F1AD3FFB74&AudId=D5DF555FCCE942579A761A82BA801B82

Scroll down to number 76.

I love her site. I've learned some really great baking tips from her. The tutorials and pictures are some of the best I've seen. It doesn't matter to me how much she has or is making. I'm just happy to be able to learn from her site. It is obvious that she is working hard at what she does. I'm hoping to get her book when I get a chance too. :)

Live your priorities and be the change you want to see, true happiness comes from within.

I would love to see Ree make a cookbook for those with food allergies, her recipes look simply mouth watering - LOL. I truly am happy for her and wish her the best.

Many of the old timers have left the board because of these type of posts. Ree was once one of us, it's wrong to talk about her behind her back, let alone on a public message board, and even worse on one that she was an active member on.

Yes, I can't cook *anything* she makes because of our food issues. It looks great, though. I find her blog to be hilariously funny at times. But I understand Hornblower's issues with their out-dated ways of raising animals.

I do think the question is odd, but I wouldn't mind if someone asked that about me. She must be used to it by now.

This is the link to Ree's blog:

www.thepioneerwoman.com

Margaret

Edited by Margaret in GA
added the link

I love Ree and her blog and yes she is probably making a killing but I think she was pretty well off even before she started her blog.

I agree. I showed my dh and my brother her site (at different times), and both of their reactions were, basically, that she simply has "too much money". :)

I honestly hadn't thought of that before they commented (and concurred with each other), but I believe they're right. One doesn't just dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into a house that they don't hardly use, unless they have a lot of money sitting around.

Don't get me wrong. I love Ree, and I love her blog. I've been reading it every day since the very first day she told us about it here on WTMBoards. And, I have no problem with rich people. I think it's wonderful that she's been so successful, just being herself! It's incredible.

As for the advertising, she has stated that she uses the ad money for prizes, that she doesn't make anything off her blog itself. The book, though, is proving very lucrative I'm guessing. :)

I think her blog is hilarious, especially since it's not that she has so many extraordinary things happen to her. She just has a great writing style and can make ordinary mundane life things funny. Reminds me of "Seinfeld".

As far as her $$, I say "More power to her". This is America. She has a great product(herself, her cookbook, her blog), knows how to market it and is doing well. We should be celebrating the fact that people can still do that and not begrudge her earnings or what she does with them.

Same here, altho there were other things, too. I think she photoshops her pics to an extreme. Ree, you've got super beautiful kids, why the need to do that overly sparkly photoshop junk to their eyes? I guess I'm just not a fan of photoshop, so nothing personal, people....

I don't care if it's personal or not. Whatever happened to "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?" Would you just post this comment about any random member of our community here? Or is it just okay for her because she's public? Personally, I just don't think it's okay to rip on people.

We should be celebrating the fact that people can still do that and not begrudge her earnings or what she does with them.

I don't really see anyone here begrudging her. The OPer was amazed that she went "from rancher's wife to rich wife" without seeming to realize how wealthy some ranchers are. I think people were just clarifying that it's not like her husband ran a tiny farm or something. I'm from Oklahoma, I know the difference. ;)

That said, there was a woman in one of our previous units who was constantly looking up where people lived, how much they paid for their homes and then blabbing about it to everyone. I thought it was super-rude. Just because it's public information and/or true doesn't make it a polite topic of discussion.

As for the advertising, she has stated that she uses the ad money for prizes, that she doesn't make anything off her blog itself. The book, though, is proving very lucrative I'm guessing. :)

Last week, she made this quote to the LA Times:

"I give a big chunk of my revenue back in prizes. I don't give it all back, for sure, but I wouldn't have an audience if they weren't reading my site, and this is my way of showing them how much I appreciate them."

Honestly, I don't think she needs to give ANYTHING back! She earned, she should keep all of it.

You have to remember that she gives a chunk of it away, but she is already wealthy. Her family does not need the money. Heather Armstrong (dooce) is the breadwinner for her family. She doesn't give a chunk away because then her husband or her would have to go back to work, and that's ok too! :)

Yeah, you're right about the Photoshop stuff. I stopped visiting her blog when I realized that every recipe was going to have about 50 pictures. lol Just took too long to look at all the ingredients, then her hand adding pepper and then adding salt and then mixing in a pretty bowl and then mixing from a different direction... And I've found her recipes to be pretty basic and just nicely photographed versions of many recipes I already use. But more power to her for getting herself into the spotlight! ;)

I stopped visiting her blog when I realized that every recipe was going to have about 50 pictures. lol Just took too long to look at all the ingredient

I think the bottom of the pages have the recipes without pictures. I've printed those off of her site before. If I have the time, I do read it with the pics. She's pretty funny.

Ree lost me as a blog reader over some animal husbandry issues.

To be fair, I was on a blog culling spree, looking for any excuse really to cut people out of my bloglines list; but it was also an issue that was important to me.

Hmm... I think we both soured on the same issue, then.

Not my cuppa... but whatever.

Wow, I'm surprised by the miffed comments. I surely wasn't saying it was a bad thing at all that she is making money from her blog and cookbook! I hope she does, as she deserves it! I was just commenting how incredible (in a good way) that in this day and age, that one can go from "nobody" to famous in such a short amount of time due to the internet. I didn't realize that ranchers made a lot of money. You learn something every day. I own her cookbook, and am a fan of her blog. If she were sitting in my living room, I would comment on her success with much congratulations. Didn't mean to "gossip" or anything like that. Sorry if anyone took it that way. More power to her!!

Back in 2006, Ree posted on these boards that she'd started a blog. I started reading it, and loved it back then, way before she had a zillion readers.

And now I still read her blog every day, and still love it. I love her zany humor, her ranching lifestyle, her photos. It's all so much fun, and I enjoy including The Pioneer Woman in my day.

I agree. I showed my dh and my brother her site (at different times), and both of their reactions were, basically, that she simply has "too much money". :)

I honestly hadn't thought of that before they commented (and concurred with each other), but I believe they're right. One doesn't just dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into a house that they don't hardly use, unless they have a lot of money sitting around.

Don't get me wrong. I love Ree, and I love her blog. I've been reading it every day since the very first day she told us about it here on WTMBoards. And, I have no problem with rich people. I think it's wonderful that she's been so successful, just being herself! It's incredible.

I agree...Love her blog, love her writing style, a few of her recipes, etc.

I did find the "Pioneer Woman" tee shirts a bit much, though.

But hey, it takes all kinds.

astrid

As to the "how much land issue"........ You never ask someone how much land they own. You could look it up, yeah, but never mention it to their face. Rude, crass. My uncle always said if someone was rude enough to ask how much land you owned to automatically double it and tell them. My paranoid fil would say to half what you own and tell them that.

Or how many head of cattle they run..........

If someone asks dh, he says he has enough of both to keep him busy.

When someone asks me I'm so flabbergasted I'm about speechless. Only good friends that are confirmed, clueless city people avoid being bonked on the head for such a question.

Edited by Remudamom

As to the "how much land issue"........ You never ask someone how much land they own. You could look it up, yeah, but never mention it to their face. Rude, crass. My uncle always said if someone was rude enough to ask how much land you owned to automatically double it and tell them. My paranoid fil would say to half what you own and tell them that.

When someone asks me I'm so flabbergasted I'm about speechless. Only good friends that are confirmed, clueless city people avoid being bonked on the head for such a question.

I honestly didn't' know this. I would never ask how much someone made or how old they are, but land - I truly had no idea. I'm assuming this is something you know if you ranch or farm. For people that live in subdivisions, it doesn't seem unusual at all to ask how big their lot is. I can see how it makes a huge different when much of your assets are tied up in your land.

I learned something important. I will never ask anyone how much land they have. I don't think I've ever done that yet, but I'll make sure. Thanks for the lesson.

Same here, altho there were other things, too. I think she photoshops her pics to an extreme. Ree, you've got super beautiful kids, why the need to do that overly sparkly photoshop junk to their eyes? I guess I'm just not a fan of photoshop, so nothing personal, people....

Okay, THANK you for saying this! I feel the same way---- gorgeous scenery and kids, but wow, that's a lot of Photoshop. Don't get me wrong; it does take skill and creativity to take the photo and pshop it, but I do just enjoy the SOTC (straight out of the camera) photos.

astrid

I think the bottom of the pages have the recipes without pictures. I've printed those off of her site before. If I have the time, I do read it with the pics. She's pretty funny.

And I thought for a while she was putting up PDF's? Or do I have her mixed up with some other food blogger?

astrid

Wow, I'm surprised by the miffed comments. I surely wasn't saying it was a bad thing at all that she is making money from her blog and cookbook! I hope she does, as she deserves it! I was just commenting how incredible (in a good way) that in this day and age, that one can go from "nobody" to famous in such a short amount of time due to the internet. I didn't realize that ranchers made a lot of money. You learn something every day. I own her cookbook, and am a fan of her blog. If she were sitting in my living room, I would comment on her success with much congratulations. Didn't mean to "gossip" or anything like that. Sorry if anyone took it that way. More power to her!!

Admittedly, I was soured on the same animal husbandry issue that Audrey and Hornblower alluded to, but that's my beef (ick. bad pun!) However, one thing I've really liked about her blog lately is her promotion of other sites/small cottage industries for gift ideas. I ordered some jewelry from The Vintage Pearl for Christmas gifts, and that needle-felted purse by that woman with the etsy shop was AMAZING. I appreciate her using her vastly increased exposure to promote others' businesses.

astrid

As to the "how much land issue"........ You never ask someone how much land they own. You could look it up, yeah, but never mention it to their face. Rude, crass.

Absolutely. Its as invasive a question as "What's in your checkbook?" Or, "How much do you have saved for retirement?". For some (generations) it may be an even worse breech of etiquette. Land ownership at one time in the much recent history was as important as Who You Are - and it still is, depending on what state you live in, not even which generation from which you come.

As for Ree - well, Hot Dog! More power to her for finding her own niche. I think its fabulous!

As for Ree - well, Hot Dog! More power to her for finding her own niche. I think its fabulous!

No kidding, if you've got it, flaunt it! And she's got a great talent for....blogging?

What's the animal husbandry issue everyone's panties are in a wad over? Don't say it's mountain oysters???