Menu

So is Ree (Pioneer Woman) rich now?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly didn't' know this. I would never ask how much someone made or how old they are, but land - I truly had no idea. I'm assuming this is something you know if you ranch or farm. For people that live in subdivisions, it doesn't seem unusual at all to ask how big their lot is. I can see how it makes a huge different when much of your assets are tied up in your land.

I learned something important. I will never ask anyone how much land they have. I don't think I've ever done that yet, but I'll make sure. Thanks for the lesson.

Janet,

This is not unilaterally true. We've had lots of people ask how much land/cattle we have. We have asked others. We've never been offended and neither have the people we asked. These are some large farms and we have more land than most as well. I don't consider this to be rude or intrusive in any way. It's a curiosity for most people. Most farmland is passed on in the family anyway. I just wanted you to know not everyone would be offended.

Janet,

This is not unilaterally true. We've had lots of people ask how much land/cattle we have. We have asked others. We've never been offended and neither have the people we asked. These are some large farms and we have more land than most as well. I don't consider this to be rude or intrusive in any way. It's a curiosity for most people. Most farmland is passed on in the family anyway. I just wanted you to know not everyone would be offended.

But be careful just the same!

I like Ree. I am not fascinated by her or anything. Everything looks "perfect" in her blog, but we all know that just isn't the way life goes. She isn't perfect, but she is successful...for whatever it is that draws people to her.

The only thing I ever read by her was her story about how she met and married MM. I have to say, as a writer, it was decent and humorous, but entirely too wordy and I found myself skimming and scanning the "blah blah blah" type stuff. With the help a good editor, though, it would be a great story. :)

I find all the "How much money does she make" type stuff to be interesting (in a "wow...people are bold to ask" kind of way). Mostly, it is because she was once a member here and many know her personally. If she was a true "celebrity," okay, maybe. I just think it strange to be discussing how much money her family has, she has, she has made, etc. considering...

I like Ree. I am not fascinated by her or anything. Everything looks "perfect" in her blog, but we all know that just isn't the way life goes. She isn't perfect, but she is successful...for whatever it is that draws people to her.

The only thing I ever read by her was her story about how she met and married MM. I have to say, as a writer, it was decent and humorous, but entirely too wordy and I found myself skimming and scanning the "blah blah blah" type stuff. With the help a good editor, though, it would be a great story. :)

I'm annoyed that she hasn't finished it.

I'm annoyed that she hasn't finished it.

Finished the story? What didn't she finish?

I didn't think it was too wordy - I actually read it straight through a couple of weeks ago. I am not a romance story type person, but she had me hooked.

I am partial to cowboy types, though, so that may be the reason!

I find all the "How much money does she make" type stuff to be interesting (in a "wow...people are bold to ask" kind of way). Mostly, it is because she was once a member here and many know her personally. If she was a true "celebrity," okay, maybe. I just think it strange to be discussing how much money her family has, she has, she has made, etc. considering...

What do you write?

You're right--- so where's the finale? It's not like we don't all know the ending, but I'd love to hear her "voice" tell it!

And also, I love Mike. :001_smile:

astrid

The Mike posts kill me too. We had a dear friend with Down's we grew up with, and Mike reminds me of Bubba.

You're right--- so where's the finale? It's not like we don't all know the ending, but I'd love to hear her "voice" tell it!

And also, I love Mike. :001_smile:

astrid

I know I got through the reception! That's where it stops.

In the year to follow, real life would come crashing in around us. Within days of our wedding, we would receive unexpected, startling news that would cause us to cut our honeymoon short. Within weeks, we would endure the jarring turmoil of deathĂ¢â‚¬Â¦divorceĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and devastation. In the first year of our lives together, we would be faced with difficult decisions, painful conflict, and drastic changes in plans.

And through every step of the way, the passion would be what sustained us.

This is the rest of the story I want to hear about.

The Mike posts kill me too. We had a dear friend with Down's we grew up with, and Mike reminds me of Bubba.

Yes, those Mike posts just slay me. I love the "Turkey-****-butt-hell" stories!

And Renee, thanks for jogging my memory...now I remember thinking that the wedding installments were rather anticlimactic after all the build-up. I can't wait to read the next installment!

astrid

When we lived in farm country, I was told once to never ask a farmer or rancher the size of their land -- it was like asking the size of their bank account.

Who knows, maybe Ree would have a laugh, and I don't think she needs anyone to stick-up for her, but.....

I find this question to be...rude. :glare: It's not like she's a stranger here even though she's in the public eye. Would you want someone speculating as to the size of your bank account on the Boards knowing you weren't logged in? I find it similar taking about Mrs. So-and-so while she is on vacation at the weekly kaffeeklatsch. Please, I'm not attacking anyone specifically, just a gentle reminder to remember your manners :).

ETA:

We must have "simulposted" -- I wrote and re-wrote my post because I feel kind of strongly about this, and didn't want to come off as sounding holier-than-thou...even though I probably did.

Being in the military, where pay is based on rank and time in service (with some various bonuses for specialty like flight pay, nuke pay, foreign language pay), I have a pretty good guess what any given naval officer gets relative to dh. I can totally see asking someone about the size of their ranch or herd without thinking that it might be considered rude.

I think it is totally cool that someone can make a splash through their writing ability and their sense of humor. Good on her.

I'm also realistic enough about the publishing and home/fashion related entertainment industry to think that it won't be long before the market turns it's not so incredibly long attention span to something else.

Dh had a book published several years back. I remember when it was remaindered. There was a bittersweet feeling that wasn't it cool to see his book in the same catalogs that he'd purused for so many years and aw, I guess that everyone who wants one has bought it already. Back to the day job.

I think I'll put Ree's book onto my wishlist though. I do have a birthday around the corner.

What do you write?

LOL Message board posts, these days!:lol:

Prior to *this* life, I went to college as an inspiring fiction novel writer. I was on track for that too. Then, lots of...umm...life happened. I ended up getting out with a BA in English with a focus in Technical Communications. I still write - for myself. But I don't have time to write like I once did.

Most of my published writing is in the form of a "user manual," unfortunately. And I still dabble in Freelance when the time allows.

Sadly, even though my heart will always be in writing fiction, I also really loved my career doing technical writing. :001_smile:

Edited by Tree House Academy

I think the last I read was right before the wedding.

She finished the wedding. Sometimes the wait between the installments was so long that I almost lost interest, but I was glad when she finally finished it. I don't have time to read blogs, but I really like hers and I do read it occasionally.

Edited by LizzyBee

She finished the wedding. Sometimes the wait between the installments was so long that I almost lost interest, but I was glad when she finally finished it. I don't have time to read blogs, but I really like hers and I do read it occasionally.

I don't read blogs on a regular basis, so I read the romance from beginning to end in one night (because it was done when I found it.) I wouldn't have been able to pay attention to it in installments!

OT (sorry)--I took a technical writing class in college and couldn't stand it. One paper I wrote described a stapler in detail and how to use it. Is there a smiley for b o r i n g?

:lol: Guess you just have to be wired for it. :lol: I have written some things I thought were really boring - however, most of the time, I got really involved in the writing of it all (the mechanics, sentence structure, clarity) and the rest kind of fell into place. It surely isn't for everyone.

Describing a stapler in detail would definitely be BORING. :lol: The most boring thing I wrote in college was about saving the environment. It just wasn't my cuppa at the time and getting through it was sheer torture.

Her Mike posts have literally had me crying in tears of laughter. Oddly, in the last 6 months or so I've taken on my paranoid schizophrenic

'brother' as a buddy type project. He is not actually my brother, but rather my brother's half brother....but he THINKS he is my brother and it thrills him no end. Anyway the reason I've taken up doing things for him is because he lives in a facility 10 min from me and it makes my brother feel better that I'm around a bit for him. (my brother lives 2 hours away). I often find myself saying in my mind in sort of a dramatic voice, 'I have a paranoid schizophrenic

brother.' He keeps us equally entertained and he has enriched our lives in ways I never thought possible.

I have Ree to thank for the way I've processed all that.

As to the "how much land issue"........ You never ask someone how much land they own....

When someone asks me I'm so flabbergasted I'm about speechless. Only good friends that are confirmed, clueless city people avoid being bonked on the head for such a question.

Huh. When people I meet IRL find out I have a horse, the next question, always, is how much land do I have.

We live near Dallas where most lots are just big enough to turn around in without scraping your elbow on the privacy fence, so I think people are astonished that somebody actually has room to pasture a beast on their own property.

Anyway, I never took offense at the question, and I generally ask it myself. My curiosity is more of the jealous type. If someone has room to ride their horse on their own property and enough room to grow enough grass to feed him/them, wow, I'm jealous.

So, who knew?

Her Mike posts have literally had me crying in tears of laughter. Oddly, in the last 6 months or so I've taken on my paranoid schizophrenic

'brother' as a buddy type project. He is not actually my brother, but rather my brother's half brother....but he THINKS he is my brother and it thrills him no end. Anyway the reason I've taken up doing things for him is because he lives in a facility 10 min from me and it makes my brother feel better that I'm around a bit for him. (my brother lives 2 hours away). I often find myself saying in my mind in sort of a dramatic voice, 'I have a paranoid schizophrenic

brother.' He keeps us equally entertained and he has enriched our lives in ways I never thought possible.

I have Ree to thank for the way I've processed all that.

Good for you. The Down's children I know have enriched my life that way too.

Good for you. The Down's children I know have enriched my life that way too.

He calls me up....'sister. sister, can you take me to the dollar store.'

Then after I spend $20 bucks (that I didn't have to spend btw) on him at the dollar store he says, 'I, I, I, gonna come mow your lawn next summer to pay you back.' :D And as we get to the checkout stand I always find the oddest things added to my buggy.....He is like a 4 year old in that regard.

Remember the XH of my Xh's girlfriend? The one you said I should be careful about getting 'involved' with..? Well, turns out HE is the reason I have this relationship with my 'brother'. The XH is a psychiatric nurse and he figured out early on this 'brother' of mine is one of is long time patients. He walked me through getting me a medical release so we can discuss him without breaking laws....He encouraged me to form a relationship, assured me the brother isn't a danger, and gave me back ground info that has helped me soooo much. He says the reason my 'brother' calls me 'sister' is that having a 'family' is more important to him than knowing my name. Oddly he remembers ds's name.

Such a rush of joy for doing something so little and making someone so happy!

Huh. When people I meet IRL find out I have a horse, the next question, always, is how much land do I have.

We live near Dallas where most lots are just big enough to turn around in without scraping your elbow on the privacy fence, so I think people are astonished that somebody actually has room to pasture a beast on their own property.

Anyway, I never took offense at the question, and I generally ask it myself. My curiosity is more of the jealous type. If someone has room to ride their horse on their own property and enough room to grow enough grass to feed him/them, wow, I'm jealous.

So, who knew?

that question always makes me feel uncomfortable. I feel embarrassed that I have acreage, and it's only 28.5, but the question still makes me uncomfortable because I know NOBODY with acreage. It's only a dream.

As to the "how much land issue"........ You never ask someone how much land they own. You could look it up, yeah, but never mention it to their face. Rude, crass.

No kidding. Around here, the saying goes that it would be more polite to walk into someone's house uninvited and pee in their sink. It is THAT big of a faux pas.

So, who knew?

I live in a metropolitan area, in a county that is dominantly suburban but has some (for the northeast) rural areas. When we meet people, they are often shocked to hear we have horses and ask how much land we own. I do find it somewhat of a "how much is in your bank account" type of question, and I think in these circumstances it would serve better to respond with, "Wow! Where do you live?" because this will often provide an explanation. Not sure if that made any sense.

As to the "how much land issue"........ You never ask someone how much land they own. You could look it up, yeah, but never mention it to their face. Rude, crass. My uncle always said if someone was rude enough to ask how much land you owned to automatically double it and tell them. My paranoid fil would say to half what you own and tell them that.

Or how many head of cattle they run..........

If someone asks dh, he says he has enough of both to keep him busy.

When someone asks me I'm so flabbergasted I'm about speechless. Only good friends that are confirmed, clueless city people avoid being bonked on the head for such a question.

That's fascinating. I guess the thing is though that your average city person is not going to have any clue about the value per acre or per head of cattle. So for them it's about how much land you have and how many cattle... not a code for how much money you have. I would think that it's curiosity about your lifestyle rather than your money.

I'm glad it's not rude around these parts and I know for a fact I asked one guy in the US about the size of his farm and how many cattle he had because it's so different to where I'm from and the farming differences fascinate me.

So for them it's about how much land you have and how many cattle... not a code for how much money you have. I would think that it's curiosity about your lifestyle rather than your money.

:iagree:

I was never "doing the math" if I asked someone how much acreage they had. As a town girl, I was genuinely curious and interested in their lifestyle, not their bank account. "You have horses? Cool! My daughter thinks horses rock. How many do you have?" or "Wow, it must be fun to live in the country. Is there a creek on your property? How many acres? I bet you could spend all day outside playing!" That type of thing. It's excitement and interest, not nosiness into their finances.

I have SO enjoyed reading it! I thought of the scene in the movie 'Giant' where Bic Benedict is having a meal at the home of Leslie (elizabeth taylor's family) - Leslie's family lives in Virginia - it's lovely, and they mention that they have something like 40 acres or some some number. Bic becomes silent (Rock Hudson played Bic) - and someone asks him how many acres he has in Texas -- he mumbles something, and they ask him to speak up.....finally he says (and I'm not sure of the exact number) something like 200,000 acres! :lol: Liz Taylor's family practically falls out of their chairs.

Anyway, I looked over Ree's blog - and I have a subscription to SL so I had seen the story about her -- fascinating. My guess: if the book is a big success, then she is prime for a cooking/lifestyle show on Food Network or someplace.

Getting back to the subject line of this thread -

I think there's a powerful mythology in this culture of rags to riches stories & a lot of people assumed this is one.

It's not. It's a riches to riches story. :)

And yeah, I'm one of those suburban people, sandwiched between expensive condos and expensive acreage and everyone talks about lot sizes, and property values blah blah blah. It's not really taboo though things like asking someone how much of it was mortgaged would be way too intrusive.

And I actuall don't get WHY asking about their land would be so taboo. For the vast majority of urbanites this is our major investment too(for many it's their ONLY investment) so it's just the same - you're in effect asking about their assets. And for business people? Well, it's only natural to ask about things like the # of employees etc.

What constitutes good manners is, I guess, regional......

I love Ree, don't have time to read her blog or anything anymore, but I'm happy for her. She's a funny, nice person. I do wish she'd come up with some recipes that are less artery clogging. :D I guess cowboys work it off and need food stuff that sticks to the ribs.

Yes. I'd like her to devise a healthy tres leche cake recipe. Can that be done? LOL.

Even if she is well to do, she does not come across as high-fallutin'.

(bolding mine) I respectfully disagree.

Since no one can even remember the last time Ree posted, but she's been in Southern Living, the Bonnie Hunt Show (twice), other publications, a cross-country book tour, won just about every blog award around, and has a best-selling cookbook-- she is a celbrity, not a member of a close-knit community.

I enjoy her blog, but Ree has never tried to deny the fact that she grew up on the golf course and now lives on an expansive cattle ranch. She's never tried to hide her abundance and doesn't need protecting. She's opened her life up on her blog and in her book. If she didn't want people to know she was successful, she wouldn't have done so.

I said all that to say, no one in this thread is spreading rumors. They are discussing what has been openly shared by a celebrity.

This has been interesting. It would never occur to me to ask a rancher how much land they have. It wouldn't mean anything to me at all. I might ask how many cows, because that would fascinate me, but it would be in terms of how much work it is to deal with animals, not how much money they have or make.

But then, my only contact with ranchers is through the meat locker that processes the beef I buy, so it's not like I see them all the time and strike up conversations.

:iagree:

I love Ree, don't have time to read her blog or anything anymore, but I'm happy for her. She's a funny, nice person. I do wish she'd come up with some recipes that are less artery clogging. :D I guess cowboys work it off and need food stuff that sticks to the ribs.

I think there's a powerful mythology in this culture of rags to riches stories & a lot of people assumed this is one.

And yeah, I'm one of those suburban people, sandwiched between expensive condos and expensive acreage and everyone talks about lot sizes, and property values blah blah blah. It's not really taboo though things like asking someone how much of it was mortgaged would be way too intrusive.

And I actuall don't get WHY asking about their land would be so taboo. For the vast majority of urbanites this is our major investment too(for many it's their ONLY investment) so it's just the same - you're in effect asking about their assets. And for business people? Well, it's only natural to ask about things like the # of employees etc.

Hornblower, to put it very, very bluntly... asking about the size of man's land (or herd) is akin to asking him the size of his d*ck. As the farm wife, I guess I'm a little miffed at someone asking the size of my husband's business, too. You see... the size of a man's business is no indication of how well he uses it. You can have a really big business, and be a real jerk with it. You can have a very small business and be fantastic with it. And vice versa, too. But, no man likes to be asked about his business so openly.

IME, people will cut townies a lot of slack if they ask. We figure they just don't know the protocol, and let it go, but it still makes us uncomfortable.

Edited by Audrey

I honestly didn't' know this. I would never ask how much someone made or how old they are, but land - I truly had no idea. I'm assuming this is something you know if you ranch or farm. For people that live in subdivisions, it doesn't seem unusual at all to ask how big their lot is. I can see how it makes a huge different when much of your assets are tied up in your land.

I learned something important. I will never ask anyone how much land they have. I don't think I've ever done that yet, but I'll make sure. Thanks for the lesson.

It's just an opinion, not a lesson across the board. Certainly in our industry (dairying), asking about land is common practice and not in the least rude. Perhaps because it doesn't have the $$$ association it does in ranching.;)

which brings us to taking off shoes at the door...ducking and running...

No, really...is it the western girls who say it's crass to ask acreage and the eastern girls to say it's no big deal?

I'm laughing my bum off here. The majoirty of my family are ranchers and this entire notion of not talking head of cattle, acreage, and so forth is blarney. These are mostly old fashioned southern people of mine and it is always being discussed.

I know several business owners and I've never met one that didn't enjoy talking about his pride and joy - his company. Everything from how many locations and an est of number of employees to how much output the company has.

For most of these things, it's a source of tremendous pride, business networking, and not to mention it's basic public records in many cases.

And no it is not the same as a man's privates.

A man physically or in any other capacity is not measured by the size of his bank, land, or privates by anyone that I know.

And even if we were to say it was the same, most men aren't too quiet about being blessed in that area either.

It's no ones business how anyone spends their own money of course.

But to suggest it's taboo to ask about something that is public knowledge seems rather silly to me.

And people talk all the time on this board about low incomes here. Including speculating on how poor people possibly deserve to be poor. Why is it taboo to discuss wealthier situations but perfectly okay to yammering about lower incomes?

Personally I think the notion of not talking about money, politics, or faith fosters ignorance.

But hey I've never been good at being graceful or subtle.

But I sure have had some of the most fascinating conversations (to me anyways) with people about their lives and learned a lot from it.

Hornblower, to put it very, very bluntly... asking about the size of man's land (or herd) is akin to asking him the size of his d*ck....But, no man likes to be asked about his business so openly.

Huh. Much as I hate to say it, I've gotta disagree with you here, Audrey. Like I just posted elsewhere in this thread, dairy folk routinely talk about acreage, size of their milking herd, etc. There is absolutely nothing unusual about it. It's not boastful to talk of it and likewise, it's not rude to ask. It's just conversation and information exchange.

And people talk all the time on this board about low incomes here. Including speculating on how poor people possibly deserve to be poor. Why is it taboo to discuss wealthier situations but perfectly okay to yammering about lower incomes?

Yep, I agree. And quite honestly, if I intentionally put myself, my business, my home, my family in the public eye on a day-in, day-out basis, I wouldn't be in the least surprised or offended at speculation about my life. Nothing unsual or rude about it in the least, imo. It's more of matter of, "Why would I care?" But that's my response in general to most public figures.;)

Huh. Much as I hate to say it, I've gotta disagree with you here, Audrey. Like I just posted elsewhere in this thread, dairy folk routinely talk about acreage, size of their milking herd, etc. There is absolutely nothing unusual about it. It's not boastful to talk of it and likewise, it's not rude to ask. It's just conversation and information exchange.

Yep, I agree. And quite honestly, if I intentionally put myself, my business, my home, my family in the public eye on a day-in, day-out basis, I wouldn't be in the least surprised or offended at speculation about my life. Nothing unsual or rude about it in the least, imo. It's more of matter of, "Why would I care?" But that's my response in general to most public figures.;)

I'm sure it's a regional thing, perhaps even industry specific, too, Colleen. These are things I learned about living here quite quickly. Other posters have mentioned similar taboos, so I know it's not just our own local weirdness (again!). :001_smile: I've come to believe it's wisest not to discuss religion, politics OR business with people you don't know very, very well.