Menu

If you attachment parent, what do you think of playpens?

Have you tried one? Never would? Didn't and wish you had?

The baby baby is now moving around getting to that stage where I think it's now or never if I'm going to do this. Do I want to invest in one? Is he going to hate it if I do so that it will be a total waste? Will I regret it and be screaming in a year if I don't?

I keep going back and forth on this. I don't know if it's a logistics thing, where I should simply rearrange the way I'm working with dd, or whether I'm going to totally regret not getting him accustomed to some confinement like that. Any thoughts?

Oh, and I had thought I would do blanket training, but he's become mobile before an age where that type of limiting seems sensible. Seems like I missed the boat on what you do between 5 months and 1 1/2 years! (1 1/2 years is when I read you start the blanket training)

I used them when the babies were very very small, until age 6 months or so, mostly to keep them safe from the big kids. Now the playpen sits in the hallway holding junk that doesn't belong in the kids bedrooms. Basically while cleaning their rooms I toss everything in there and deal with it later. They also have served as clean laundry holders. Then again I don't even own a crib, I have co-slept since day one. When I needed a baby confined, I used the swing, bumbo, exersaucer, jolly jumper or high chair, I had so many options to keep them busy and confined I didn't need the playpen to do so.

In my experience, my boys never liked the playpen for more than a few minutes. Actually I didn't use one with my first and my second tolerated it very infrequently and even then he prefered to have his big brother with him. I think you (or someone else) mentioned the other day about using those gates that make a big space but is still confined like this one. I think a little one would be more willing to stay in something like that, because there is more room to move around and even have a friend or a big sister sit with him.:001_smile:

I hope you find something that works for you. I remember my first ds was mobile by 6 months. He could millitary crawl and drag his little body across the living room into the kitchen. His favorite play area was my tupperware drawer.:lol:

I agree with the advice to get a play yard instead. You or other people or children can get in it with him, especially if you get more than one to combine together. Then it can be a pretty large place to play. You can take it outside etc as well so they can be on the sand but still confined. And at Christmas you can put it around the tree covered in cloth and it doesn't look half bad!

*I* think that attachment parenting isn't about RULES. There is nothing wrong with using, to small degrees, ANY help. Obviously, I'm not militant. But I'm positive that you won't be like so many families leaving kiddo in it for probably even an hour per day (split up).

Anyway, as for blanket training? I am hoping you don't mean the icky stuff so many people do. I kinda think not since you're talking about starting so late. However, I will say that my last daycare baby was "boundary trained." It was THE BEST thing I did. We did it as soon as he could start moving (he left my care at one year). It kept him in the playroom when dishes were being done. It kept him on a blanket when we were doing morning exercises. It kept him SAFE and allowed us to function the few times we did need to put him down (mostly, we held him, played with him, interacted with him, etc).

The only time I used the playpen was so I could eat, especially if I needed a knife. It was RIGHT up against my arm chair so I could touch him or whatever, but....anyway, so I didn't use it much. He didn't really like it, but.......

Anyway, I don't think there is any reason to not use a playpen (or play yard). I also think there is no reason to wait til 1.5 yrs old to teach him to stay on a blanket. Whatever works for you and yours though is FINE IMO.

Never would. I did have one for a little while. I think my mom sent it to me. We used it as a giant toybox. The baby, then the toddler, was where I was, or exploring our well baby-proofed house, all the time. ETA: I don't mean in any way to imply that this choice is for everyone or always the best idea. It's what worked best for us. We were, this way, best able to meet my three kids' needs for stimulation and security. By babyproofing we also met my need to not be constantly aware of exactly what my toddler was doing. I'm sure there's a gazillion ways to meet everyone's needs. That was our variation, our playpenless one. :)

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

Anyway, I don't think there is any reason to not use a playpen (or play yard). I also think there is no reason to wait til 1.5 yrs old to teach him to stay on a blanket. Whatever works for you and yours though is FINE IMO.

I have NO idea of how you would do this...with methods you would agree with...So...HOW ? :-) (I already kinda remember the Ezzo way, which...I never did...)

Also, I nurse forever...wear my babies...sleep with them...I think I had a play yard for them to play in while I did things like dinner?

Safety and sanity are important:-)

Carrie:-)

Never did, never would use one. I don't like the connotations of them. I did baby-proof well, including doorway gates. If I needed to be elsewhere, I chose a room near where I was so I could see him and gated him in, but even that was rare. Good baby-proofing is worth its weight in gold, IME. With the exception of the stairs (which were gated off anyway) he could have run of the whole house right along with me.

I never used one with my kids but I did with the daycare.

When my 3rd child came, I put the older kids in a play yard and let the toddler roam. LOL. This allowed them to play with legos and tiny parts and no one was confined unwillingly.

I was very glad to have a pack-n-play handy. When dd was a little one, we were living in a third-floor walk-up, and the laundry was in the basement. On my laundry days I left the pp set up in the laundry room and let dd play in it while I switched the loads and folded clothes.

At other times, with either of my kids, I used it to buy ten minutes to finish making dinner or something else that needed to be done.

Neither of my kids liked it for long periods of time, so I never forced the issue, but I was so glad to have it just to keep the kid safe for those little spots of time when I needed it.

I also really loved using the pp for travel (sleeping in hotels or other people's houses), and I have used it many, many times over the years for friends'/relatives' little ones napping or overnighting at my house.

Ok, well I guess I'll confess I was thinking of this in terms of something he would stay in while we're homeschooling, which means it would be a significant amount of time...

I think what I'm going to do for now is put down a large blanket to define his area so that it remains a danger-free zone (no scissors, that sort of thing). We're doing the TT stuff for our history, so we end up with a lot of stuff out! We've been working on the floor, so I can sit with him while dd works, but it's turning into him in the tm's and ripping pages and stuff. He's pretty good with his rolling and contorting!

I'm probably a cross between AP and...I don't know. (We don't co-sleep, but we sling, etc.). We specifically bought a wooden square playpen with bars so this baby could see out. My first son hated and would never be in a playard or playpen. This baby loves to play in one for brief times, and as a result I have no problem putting him in while we get things done. One of the things that helped with him was that I started him in it very young (or not...the first son didn't like it from the time he was a tiny infant). He does better if I am not in the same room as him, but does not mind if his brother is in the same room). We rotate toys, and he plays happily for an hour or more.

He's eighteen months or more and I'll consider using this as long as he'll tolerate it.

I used them when the babies were very very small, until age 6 months or so, mostly to keep them safe from the big kids. Now the playpen sits in the hallway holding junk that doesn't belong in the kids bedrooms. Basically while cleaning their rooms I toss everything in there and deal with it later. They also have served as clean laundry holders. Then again I don't even own a crib, I have co-slept since day one. When I needed a baby confined, I used the swing, bumbo, exersaucer, jolly jumper or high chair, I had so many options to keep them busy and confined I didn't need the playpen to do so.
:iagree: Yep. That's basically what became of ours. I didn't have the jumpers and whatnot to entertain them (just didn't ever think of it during the window where they would have enjoyed them) but we did have gates. I would essentially gate them into the livingroom / foyer with their toys. It really wasn't an issue if I gated them in at an appropriate time - like not when they were getting hungry or tired.

Both of my boys loved their exersaucers. The playpen, not so much.

I wound up using it as a barricade in front of the TV/stereo area.

I did a lot of closing doors (bathroom doors, office doors) and we did have a gate at the top of the stairs.

Perhaps you need a craft table baby cannot reach? Or a coffee table? Just brainstorming here.

I've made it through 3 children without a play pen of any sort. We also don't use a crib, swing, or walker. I did get an exersaucer for my youngest which he used for a short time, but it was only because I noticed that he liked the ones in the church nursery.

I do gate off the pantry (permanently) and have a gate that can go between the main rooms and the stairs and bathroom. That gives baby the school room, living room, dining room, and kitchen to roam in. It hasn't been a problem.

Now my youngest has been my most challenging. He's a get-into-everything, climber type of kid. He has to be watched a bit closer but so far he hasn't hurt himself seriously. We use a combination of watching him (there's always someone in the main rooms with him), discipline, entertaining him (we let him have more TV/computer time than most), and letting him hang with us (and color, "do worksheets", help us with craft projects, etc). Yes, it's interrupting but it hasn't interfered with us making progress in school.

When I have to leave the room, I do different things depending on the baby's age and what I have to do. Basically, the little one either goes with me, the older kids are told to watch the younger, or he's fine for the minute I'll be gone.

We don't have older kids trampling baby issues here. The only protection ours have needed is from themselves.

I think my life would be easier if I had used one, but when I look at Miss Toddler striding around with confidence and engaging in rather annoying but industrious activities I feel I've done the right thing.

Rosie- wishing we had more tall cupboards to hide things on...

What about an exersaucer or something similar? I had a playpen with my son, but only used it at the beach to keep him safe. I had a pack-n-play with my daughter, but it was only used as a temporary bed when traveling. DD liked the exersaucer, though; I just can't remember how big a baby is when they're too big for it.

Do they sell Jolly Jumpers any more? Make one if you can. They're the best for active kids who can not yet walk. Really fun for them for a very long time. I'm a big attatchment parent type, I can't help it, even when I want to ignore them:), so I'm all for baby proofing the room, gating the room, etc., and put the bigger kiddo in the coral if you have to.;)

Kelly

I have always wished that I had a play yard.

I use my play pen. I will go in spurts where it is full of junk or packed away, and we go crazy. Baby in the board games, math manipulatives, mop bucket, dish washer.... you get the picture. I have toys that he really likes (board games LOL) and he only gets them in there. He actually wants to be in there and likes it. It lasts about 20 minutes and I am able to get something done. It is also good for when I have pee, vomit, glass, etc. to clean off of the floor.

Don't go without one!

I would use one before I would EVER "blanket train."

But I don't intend to do either.

Maybe other people who do the blanket thing know something that I do not, but I have read parents' comments about it and some of the ones who said they did it regretted it. They mentioned that the kids they did it with were not apt to explore their world around them even long after walking. They described their children as fearful.

That literally breaks my heart.

The world sucks and we adults know it.

I myself am scared to death of the financial insecurity of my own life and this nation's. I regret all kinds of decisions I have made and that have been made for me.

But for heaven's sake, babies and kids do not know that the world is a scarry place and they should be allowed to discover and explore what *is* good while they still are innocent.

Of course - I get the whole safety issue - but it's called baby proofing. Or throwing them in a swing, or jumper, or a baby carrier, or a big sibling's arms....

Also take advantage of his nap time and do things with dd when she can have your full attention. It will work out, just wait until he's in the 2.5-3.5 y/o range. ;)

He power naps, only 25 minutes at a time, a couple times a day.

Going back to the school room and having her work at the table certainly is an option. I was just enjoying being in the living room and having the recliner for *me*! The floor in the school room is hard pergo, so I'd need to put down something soft.

I know, pathetic problem, isn't it! And I think I'm just tired enough that I'm not sorting through it very well, lol. I'm researching the wood playpens one of the responders mentioned, and they are lovely. I really hate the thought of going back down to the school room. Maybe I could bring a table up?? I need to think about this some more. At least people are confirming what I suspected, that I probably wouldn't use the playpen as much as I think. Something more together is more our style. I'll set the blanket up tomorrow and see how that goes.

The baby baby is now moving around getting to that stage where I think it's now or never if I'm going to do this. Do I want to invest in one? Is he going to hate it if I do so that it will be a total waste? Will I regret it and be screaming in a year if I don't?

I keep going back and forth on this. I don't know if it's a logistics thing, where I should simply rearrange the way I'm working with dd, or whether I'm going to totally regret not getting him accustomed to some confinement like that. Any thoughts?

Oh, and I had thought I would do blanket training, but he's become mobile before an age where that type of limiting seems sensible. Seems like I missed the boat on what you do between 5 months and 1 1/2 years! (1 1/2 years is when I read you start the blanket training)

I actually used my playpen for my older kids. They were so tired of the baby messing up their games, toys, lego stuff and I was a basket case keeping small toys away from baby...so the solution was...playpen became haven for my bigger kids. My baby would never stay in...they would climb...stack toys onto eachother and fling themselves over the top...etc. One of mine was "blanket trained," but that was a personality thing. He just stayed put whereever I put him. He is still very easy going and doesn't wander much. My otherones believe child-proof means greater challenge,....and they have never met a lock they wouldn't try to pick...

Congrats on the baby too!

Faithe

I would use one before I would EVER "blanket train."

But I don't intend to do either.

Maybe other people who do the blanket thing know something that I do not, but I have read parents' comments about it and some of the ones who said they did it regretted it. They mentioned that the kids they did it with were not apt to explore their world around them even long after walking. They described their children as fearful.

That literally breaks my heart.

You know, that's a really interesting point... I find it interesting to ponder how our choices affect the way our dc turn out (what was inborn, what was our parenting, did we mess them up, etc.). That certainly seems like a potential side effect! And I'm certainly not one to be punitive for no reason. I guess the way I viewed it, I'd be establishing boundaries (large, reasonable, necessary for safety) at a time when I saw cognition of the NO concept. But that's no more than anyone would do in normal parenting anyway, telling them to stay in a certain room or something. My house is pretty open, not the type where you can gate to keep them in one area, so I AM concerned, over the long-term, about being able to have some sense that my then mobile dc won't just wander off at will and constantly. It's not like I'll be able to shut a door or gate the passage and keep him in, kwim? He's going to have to stay in certain parameters simply because I said so.

But that's a huge rabbit trail! At this point all I have is a baby who rolls and chews, lol. And I don't think what I do now decides what I do or do not do or what will or will not have success when he's 2, as I have no fear of teaching NO. I think I just mainly wish I had some connection to the magical, mythical woman who has it all together: dinner on time, laundry done, svelte, perfect hair, obedient kids who recite poetry and facts and will, babies who do everything on a schedule and never hassle anyone at dinner parties... You know. I always feel like there's some aspect of babycare that eludes me and keeps me from getting there, and yet, when I hold my own baby in my arms, he never seems to fit into the parameters I've heard of that magical woman employing.

Okay, setting boundaries for baby. I don't know who has the kind I think is icky. I basically just figured that it sounded like a good idea (including blanket training) but tweaked it because I am NOT about to hit a baby! I'm capable of parenting/disciplining better than that.

Anyway, what we did was simply to place baby where I wanted baby (either playroom or blanket). I gave him plenty of toys. I interacted with him some ("hi, D-man! I love you!" "you have the ball?"). I didn't just ignore his existence on it. When he was on the blanket or in the playroom "alone" (it's open to the rest of the house), it was a POSITIVE experience. Most of the "training" was fun, very short, etc. The idea was to make doing it the success, the positive, the feel good thing.

Moving off the blanket or onto the kitchen floor would cause one of several things to happen. The first many times, it meant picking him up and firmly plopping him back where he needed to stay. After a couple times, usually an "ehh" sound was enough to get him to sit back on the blanket/carpet. Rarely, we'd say no and put him back if he pushed it (a few times, he'd try to inch off).

Getting off the blanket/carpet was also about success. He was playing contentedly before we'd offer.

And it was VERY short and not overly often. It is not reasonable to expect a baby to entertain himself for an hour. It is not desirable for them to play independently that long, imo. Many times, chores or exercise can be done when baby is napping.

I hope this makes some sense. I'm afraid some of it sounds much harsher than it was. Just as I've outlined my boundary training for tots regarding the road, mostly, it was very fun and positive.

Generally speaking, being firm and POSITIVE works just as well, often BETTER, than being rude in your parenting. Teaching kids what TO do works better than telling them what NOT to do. Encouraging what you WANT to see works better than discouraging what you don't want to see. Being kind, gentle, mild and consistent WORKS.

I will admit that I don't know exactly what attachment parenting is. I breastfeed and co-sleep. Is that what AP means?

Anyway, I had a pack-n-play with my first because I thought I needed one. She never used it so I gave it away. I didn't have one with my second. With my third, my best friend bought me one, and I took it to my mom's house for Cora to take her naps in while she was there. That's the only thing we ever used it for.

I really like the ball pit idea! Wish I had thought of that.

I will second the rec for a Johnny Jumper or whatever it's called. My kids all loved those!

Thanks for so many great ideas ladies!! Mommyfaithe, that seems to be a common thread about the older kids needing a spot that is baby-free. I'm thinking that would actually be something I could do, gating off an area for her. Also, it finally hit me I could gate the entire school room if I wanted, closing the access routes, meaning I no longer have the worry of a running toddler someday. So that means I don't have to blanket train!

So there you go. See y'all did solve my problem. I just needed another way to think of it. I can deal with his rolling now with a few strategy changes, and the future, toddler years won't be a problem because I can gate the school room. I've always figured we'd go back there, just don't want to quite yet. We're at such a lovely stage, with the baby, the recliner, seeing spring through the windows. I want to stay right where I am as long as possible! :)

Carmen, yup, lol. That's why I end up with the baby in my bed, constantly in my arms (except when he clamors to get down!), etc, and no plans to change, because it just seems to fit us and what my heart sees. But I still wish I could have all that and the seeming whatever it is that's out there.

Seems like I missed the boat on what you do between 5 months and 1 1/2 years! (1 1/2 years is when I read you start the blanket training)

Exersaucer!! Jake had one that was a piano with various musical instruments to play with all around it, and he had one left over from sister and best friend that we got back from her later that he could bounce in and was surrounded by toys, like music players, rattles, mirrors. He loved it! I loved it! I usually put him in while making dinner.

Thanks Pamela, that's about what I had in mind when I envisioned this in the first place! I was just so removed from it (10 years without a baby, haha) that it didn't occur to me that I'd have to bridge from infant to toddler before it would be time for that. lol For right now, I think I'm just going to equate blanket time and school time and keep it all fun and pleasant, like you say. And the blanket will be so big, he's not likely to roll out, and certainly there would be nothing punitive about it, more just a designation as his spot.

I have a cheap thing, sort of a knock-off exercauser, and he's sort of so-so about it. I never bought a fancier one, because I figured he'd outgrow it too quickly. Dd was already crawling by this point, so I didn't know how this baby would be. He's more laid back. You know though, I'm being an idiot. We took that thing down in the basement for some reason a week ago. All we have to do is bring it back up, duh... But I still hate to see him penned in it, now that he's rolling and likes to MOVE. Ok, that's something I can do.

I have a cheap thing, sort of a knock-off exercauser, and he's sort of so-so about it. I never bought a fancier one, because I figured he'd outgrow it too quickly. Dd was already crawling by this point, so I didn't know how this baby would be. He's more laid back. You know though, I'm being an idiot. We took that thing down in the basement for some reason a week ago. All we have to do is bring it back up, duh... But I still hate to see him penned in it, now that he's rolling and likes to MOVE. Ok, that's something I can do.
But they can jump, rock and spin in them, and love it! It is called Exersaucer because they are not meant to be stationary. I got the piano one on Craig's list for $15. That one had the seat on a track and he could walk back and forth on the piano keys. I don't know if yours maybe has less movement built in.

I only have a few ideas that worked for my kids for short amounts of time.

1. set the baby up in front of a mirror (cheap full-length type attached to wall or door). put a few choice toys around him. this worked really well for my ds. once he could sit unaided he was fascinated by his own image of himself playing in the mirror. I could drink my morning coffee this way and watch him. bliss.

2. confine baby to a child-proof room with baskets of interesting toys, pots and pans, etc. to investigate while you keep a watchful eye from the

couch. Once dc could sit unaided and use utensils, I also gave them notebook paper, both to shred (like primates in the zoo, good occupational therapy) and to write on with a pen. diferent size boxes were always a hit to play with, too.

3. the crib. my dc took *long* naps alone in a quiet, semi-dark room so this was easier for us than it might be for you and your ds if he only power naps. after the nap, dc would play in the crib with choice, safe toys (nothing that could fit over their mouth) that I arranged at the end of crib. also, I arranged board books that were sturdy enough not to be torn in the crib. the dc entertained themselves a long time. they are creative self-entertainers to this day.

I was pretty attached, though I didn't co-sleep. Still, for my own sanity, I was one of the mothers who did let the dc cry it out at night--after a certain age--and nap time. They learned to love their daily quiet time in the crib.

4. the high chair. my dc would sit and play in the high chair while I did kitchen work or paper work at the table. spoons, cups, little cars, paper and pen, etc. kept them very busy.

5. exersaucer.

6. playpen for short stints. they never played in there though; it was only for their safety.

good luck!

Guest janainaz

:)I think they are fine for babies that are not standing up yet. I never really used one either. I don't like the idea of them for older babies or toddlers and especially since I worry about them getting strangled (with their neck pinched in between collapsed bars). I did childcare years ago and would never put babies in a playpen for that reason - just in case! I think it's much better to create a safe area where you child can roam.

Someone gave me a playpen when my first child was a newborn, but the only thing I ever used it for was keeping the Christmas tree when each of my kids was in the "young enough to eat the pine needles" phase. ;)

I never found a need to use the playpen with my kids. My oldest has always had someone underfoot when she's doing schoolwork. It's just a part of what we do. :D

I know you wouldn't want to wear your baby all day, but have you tried it for, say, an hour here and there? The baby doesn't fuss because he can hear your heartbeat and is also soothed by your motion. (If you're not walking around, you can perhaps rock in a rocking chair). It leaves BOTH your hands free to school (and to substitute a more suitable toy for the TM he has just grabbed).

I suggest facing him OUT (with his back to you) so that he can see what's going on. My son loved being "worn," since he saw so much more of our little world than just a blanket or a play yard.

I always thought of playpens as "baby prisons," but then I only had one child. Children just want to be with you, and at that age that means touching.....since up to about 1 year old, he gets most of his information (and affection, of course!) through touch.

Best of luck in your homeschooling.

Julie

I think just about every mom I knew (including me) had one, but no one actually used it. Mine ended up being a giant toy box. Looking back, I think I bought one under the delusion that my baby would sit in there and happily play with toys. Never happened, of course.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5412495

I've never used one of these contraptions before, but with four other kids to keep home schooled and happy, I've found it a wonderful addition. Our baby loves it, too! She gets to cruise around it in a swivel chair which also allows her to turn and look behind her (instead of being stuck in one place but able to turn around like a typical exersaucer).

I'm not into playpens. I'm not against them, exactly, I've just never found that they entertain a baby very long. This thing keeps my little one happy for (sometimes) up to an hour which is perfect. My baby only plays in her cruise around thing until she's fussy and then I either wear her or put her down for a nap in her crib.

I'm not anti-playpen. We've always had one (or two!) on hand, but they've really only been used for sleeping. It's never been our "philosophy", we just haven't felt a need to cut the kids off from the action.

Our staircase is gated off, and the hall to the kids' rooms and bathroom is gated off. Ds has full access to the rest of the house. We've just gotten used to having him underfoot (and overfoot, and moving chairs, and climbing tables, and swiping crayons, and so on...).

I identify with the attachment parenting label....but I don't think a playpen or not is an issue. Sometimes its a safety thing, sometimes to protect teh baby from the toddler, sometimes to stop the baby falling down the stairs while you make dinner or whatever. I think we had one at one stage but I can only remember sitting in it myself! Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!

Attachment parenting doesn't- in my opinion- mean you never put the child down, or provide a safe environment for them, although a few people take it to that extreme.

If your wee one is just at the rolling stage, perhaps one of those play centers that are like a little bridge that the babe can lay under and look up at? I have no idea what they're called, but we had one and my babies would roll around and then reach out and grab the stuff that was above them. we also had a little piano thing that they would bonk with their feet to make noise. since the babe is just rolling, maybe you could prevent access to unwanted spaces with pillows or larger, intersting toys?

I did use a pack-n-play at the non-walking stage, and my babes never minded, but they were always in the thing in the midst of some commotion, and we traveled a lot so it came in handy when baby-proofing was not an option & for sleeping.

I have no idea what I would do if I had to homeschool and keep up with an infant/toddler. I know it can be done, but, wow! that's a whole 'nother set of issues, isn't it?

We wanted a playpen and received one as a baby shower gift before dd was born. It had a bassinet insert that we use for the first few weeks, but other than that the thing didn't get much use. She hated being in the playpen because she hated any sort of confinement and because it kept her from seeing what was going on very well, and she was extremely curious and very observant. She loved to roll and move around. But she loved her baby swing and her exersaucer because she didn't feel confined by them. They were fun to her. We had a hand-me-down exersaucer for her. It was the kind where she could spin around in circles, bounce up and down, and play with the toys all around it. We ended up giving the playpen away and never buying another one for our son. He, too, loved the exersaucer and baby swing, by the way. And the bouncy seat. My kids seemed to enjoy things that gave them something to do and didn't seem as if we were shutting them away.

I think I just mainly wish I had some connection to the magical, mythical woman who has it all together: dinner on time, laundry done, svelte, perfect hair, obedient kids who recite poetry and facts and will, babies who do everything on a schedule and never hassle anyone at dinner parties... You know. I always feel like there's some aspect of babycare that eludes me and keeps me from getting there, and yet, when I hold my own baby in my arms, he never seems to fit into the parameters I've heard of that magical woman employing.

That woman is not mythical. They DO exist. I have met them.

They live on methamphetamines for weight loss, a xanax in the afternoon before thier husbands come home, and a sleeping pill a night.

My baby is 6 months old.

We spoiled him becuase we had to. We were homeless when he was 4 weeks old. There was never a safe place to put him on the floor. He was always in our arms. Now we have a house with clean floors (no shoes allowed inside) and he scoots around in whatever room we are in. Yes, he is still very used to being held - but it's not really that bad. After all - once he can run he will be out of my arms and I will have to beg him to sit still for some lovin' - KWIM?

I have an 11yo daughter - I notice you have a 4th grader in your sig line. I am sure she is a big help. In that respect we are LUCKY!