Menu

If you attachment parent, what do you think of playpens?

I had better success with excersaucers. The best, imho, are the plain ones with a big tray. Suction toys, toys that attatched to those rings, cheerios....... My dc all loved to be in those things. I didn't like the kind with toys already attatched - my kids got bored quick with the same toys.;)

MeanestMom--I do have one of those arch gym things, and he likes it a lot!!! It's by me in the room where the computer is, which is the only reason I get computer time, hehe...

Karen, that's so funny!!! You're right that some of the things it takes to get there, I wouldn't be willing to do. (I don't drink coffee, etc. etc.) And my energy is still pretty uneven, not fully bounced back.

Just to let y'all know, we did the blanket thing today, and it worked out really well! Doesn't mean it will work forever, but for today it did, lol. It's almost a full size quilt, so that was his danger-free zone. And I'm now realizing I can use the baby gates and fences to keep him OUT of stuff, not caged in. That's a different way of approaching it and more to my tastes.

And yes, dd is a big help. She's down with him now, watching Tom & Jerry. It's our little ritual and gives me a short break after lunch to recharge. :)

Ooo Paula, you're onto something!!! My exersaucer thing is rather plain, but it has plenty of room to suction on toys. It also has an arch thing we could connect toys to on rings. Why didn't I think of that! Thanks! :)

Ok, I'm usually safe....I'm sure this is considered unsafe...BUT, I did use an exersaucer and my son, when he wanted to get out...would tip all the way forward and pop himself out! Those were the days! Now he just does things like walk on the back of the couch (it's sitting in the middle of the room) and other such things. My husband thought it'd be a good thing to have him visit the roof with him last summer! Sons, if they are able to make it to adulthood safely, have been granted a miracle!

Carrie:-)

Ok, I'm usually safe....I'm sure this is considered unsafe...BUT, I did use an exersaucer and my son, when he wanted to get out...would tip all the way forward and pop himself out! Those were the days! Now he just does things like walk on the back of the couch (it's sitting in the middle of the room) and other such things. My husband thought it'd be a good thing to have him visit the roof with him last summer! Sons, if they are able to make it to adulthood safely, have been granted a miracle!

Carrie:-)

:lol:

You must have my youngest. I took away the exersaucer around 8-9 months because I knew he'd find a way to fall out of it.

Also, mine started climbing up onto the back of the couch to look out of a high window around 12-14 months. Now that he just turned 2 (3 days ago), he figured out how to dismount off the dining room table. When I say dismount, I'm talking about hanging his legs off the table, rocking his legs under the table, and then pushing his hips away from the table on the upswing so that he can land on his feet about a foot away from it...much like a gymnast dismounts from the uneven parallel bars.

He scares all of the other parents at at the park who try to rescue him from his climbs that he's more than capable of doing. I have to step in and tell them he's ok.

I couldn't imagine this kid confined in any way. He's had full access to the entire house since he figured out how to safely slide down the stairs a long time ago...probably around 12 months of age or so

I was given a playpen for my first child. We tried it once, but she climbed out (16 months old). So it just sat around getting in the way until I finally sold it at a yard sale or something.

With my last 3 children, we used a pack and play for their bed instead of a crib (I couldn't afford both, or justify the cost of having both). It worked great! You had the bassinet when they were tiny, and the deeper crib as they grew. It was easily movable if I needed a safe place for them to be for a while, and it gave them a familiar place to sleep when we were away from home.