Menu

Poll - Do you have your dc wear school uniforms?

school uniforms?  

1. 1. school uniforms?

• Yes, dc wear uniforms and I find it helps their concentration.
    • Yes, dc wear uniforms, but just for fun or some other reason.
    • They used to wear uniforms, but we stopped because they weren't worth the trouble.
    • My dc have never worn uniforms during homeschool.
    • Other

Dh was talking to a friend of ours whose wife homeschools. He told dh that his wife has their dc wear uniforms and it helps the kids concentrate and focus on school. I have constant problems with my oldest concentrating and focusing, so, if uniforms would help, I'd give them a try, but I also don't want to waste a lot of money for nothing. So... school uniforms or no?

Ummmm... Are we talking about having standards of clothing, i.e. they must have long pants and a collared shirt, or actual uniform uniforms? Because that really seems to cross the border into Creepy Homeschooler-land.

I can see saying "our uniform on school days is long pants, polo shirt and shoes", rather than letting the kids hang out in sweats or jammies. That would - at least theoretically - put them in "work" mode, I guess. (On the other hand, the FlyLady demand that one tie shoes to one's feet, do hair and makeup, and all that jazz does nothing for me but annoy, so...)

Do pajamas count as a uniform?:lol:

No, I disagree with the idea of wearing a uniform for hmeschool. The reason for a uniform is to put all children on an equal basis. One child can't look cooler than another b/c of clothing. Secondly, it's easier to keep an eye on children out of the classroom environment. I would not waste money on having my children appear as if they attend a private school. It won't help concentration. Maybe a different environment, background noise (or not). Clothing shouldn't make any difference, provided their clothing fits loosely enough for comfort. Just my opinion.

Ummmm... Are we talking about having standards of clothing, i.e. they must have long pants and a collared shirt, or actual uniform uniforms? Because that really seems to cross the border into Creepy Homeschooler-land.

ROTFL!!! You have a way with words, my friend!! :lol:

Seriously, though, if a child is not obsessed with his clothing, then he's not going to change his behavior when he changes clothes. He'll be the same kid, and you'll have spent money that you could have put to better use.

Ria

I don't know what sort of 'uniform' our friends use because they live in the Bahamas and we live in the UK, so we don't see each other much. :D Our dh's were at a conference together recently, so that's my only source of info. It would be very easy and inexpensive to get school uniforms here because all the state schools here (ie public schools in 'American') require uniforms and they are in every store. Dress trousers are cheaper than jeans. Polo shirts just a couple of pounds each. So if I were to go the uniform route it would be dress trousers and polo shirts.

No, I disagree with the idea of wearing a uniform for hmeschool. The reason for a uniform is to put all children on an equal basis. One child can't look cooler than another b/c of clothing. Secondly, it's easier to keep an eye on children out of the classroom environment. I would not waste money on having my children appear as if they attend a private school. It won't help concentration. Maybe a different environment, background noise (or not). Clothing shouldn't make any difference, provided their clothing fits loosely enough for comfort. Just my opinion.

:iagree: I was going to vote yes - a uniform of sleepy pants, big, baggy tee-shirts, wrapped up in a blanket sitting on the couch. Our uniform is whatever is comfortable and allows for movement.

It might be because of my background - 12 year of uniforms. I remember spending much of my time daydreaming even with the uniform.

Janet

Dh was talking to a friend of ours whose wife homeschools. He told dh that his wife has their dc wear uniforms and it helps the kids concentrate and focus on school. I have constant problems with my oldest concentrating and focusing, so, if uniforms would help, I'd give them a try, but I also don't want to waste a lot of money for nothing. So... school uniforms or no?

I wonder if it's simply more the routine and structure that helps rather then the uniforms.

We tried "uniform" clothing for ds, at his request. Polo shirt (Target clearance) and long pants. He wanted to look like his friend who attended private school, and we did find he concentrated better. However, we skipped the dress pants because he likes to do stuff in the yard on breaks, and I didn't want to scrub grass stains out of them. When winter came along, the uniform disappeared with the short sleeves.

I was gonna say that :lol:

We don't really wear our pajamas but we wear whatever we find comfortable.

Dd is comfortable in jeans and tshirt. Ds is more comfortable in sweat pants and tshirt.

I don't think uniforms are necessary for home.

My only rule is no pajamas. I know plenty of folks who do school in their jammies, but I'm the paranoid type who does care what the neighbors think, at least on this issue. I've also worked from home for the past several years, and try to make sure that I'm dressed and presentable by a certain point in the day -- although not always before I begin working. I know nobody can see what I'm wearing while I'm at the computer, but it's just my deal.

My ds has about 10 pairs of the same kinds of silky nylon shorts. He loves those and wears them everyday, so it's a kind of self-imposed uniform. :001_smile:

He only wears a shirt when it is cold, then will also move to long pants. Socks and shoes are rare.

A uniform on my child would only serve to bring him discomfort and more lack of focus. He dislikes collars and khaki pants.

I do require that I get dressed.

On weekdays we do the dressed-hair-teeth-breakfast thing. On Saturdays they like to spend all day in PJs and I'm OK with it. I envision CPS coming to the door (heard to many horror stories) and having my kids looking like recluse slobs, hence the dressed rule. Also it seems we don't have many at-home-all-day days so getting ready in the AM so we're dressed to go when it's time is a plus. And I do the fly-lady dressed to the shoes thing. I get 3x as much done in sneakers then I do in socks. Having shoes on the feet is optional for the dc. :)

Another one wondering if pajamas count as a uniform...

Not that we don't have standards, though. Like another poster, I insist on underwear while sitting at the school table. (It's amazing how often I can be heard saying, "yes, you can do xyz, but first put on some underwear.")

that homeschooling does significantly affect my kids' wardrobes.

We have a lot fewer clothes than our out-schooled friends and relatives. Sometimes it seems like we're in uniforms, 'cause we wear the same outfits rather frequently!

As the kids get older, they are getting a bit more fashion sense, so we will be expanding clothing choices over the next year and beyond. But for now, it keeps laundry sorta simple :001_smile:

I don't allow ds to wear a hoodie during school. That is one fashion trend I cannot wait to see sliced, diced and buried deep. :glare: I am firmly convinced that hoodies are impregnated with the bad attitude virus.

That said, we don't have a rule about uniforms.

However... ds does have a "uniform" because he asked for one. He saw the school uniforms rack at the local shop and wanted one, too. So, what the hey... we got him one. He didn't have dress pants or shirt, so those were useful items. We talked him into the cardigan instead of the blazer, and he picked the tie he liked best.

He actually did wear this uniform for several weeks running. Now, he wears it only on Fridays (which is test/report/presentation day). He claims it makes him smarter. I tried to tell him that smarts didn't depend on clothes, but that's what he thinks anyway. Who am I to argue?

I will say that he does focus better in his uniform, and he does feel better in it. His attitude is so smart. In a way, I can understand how he feels. When I have to go to meetings or give presentations, I dress in my sharpest suits. It does make me feel a certain way -- smart, if you will.

Okay, we are the odd ducks. My dc wear uniforms. The boys wear khacki or navy pants and shirts w/collar or sweaters. My daughter wears a khacki or navy skirt or jumper or another skirt/dress. (she chose the skirt or jumper thing, I didn't.) We didn't buy uniform shirts, these are shirts the boys had. The idea, which has worked well at our house, is that you have special clothes for your work, which is school. It seems to help us to encourage the behavior that is expected during school. During the very cold months, we relax the uniform rules so that everyone is dressed to stay warm, as in layers. (I keep the house on the cooler side.) This works for us. And no, we aren't creepy or wierd.

I think homeschooling in itself takes away most of the reasons for uniforms anyway. I'm just happy if my kids get dressed in something besides pj's before 3 pm.

Because that really seems to cross the border into Creepy Homeschooler-land.

I considered it, because they children seemed to have trouble concentrating and understanding the difference between school time and "other" time. But I abandoned the idea because of the reason quoted above.

I could see it as a way to impress the business side of learning, but I'm too lazy to get all gussied up to teach, so I'm just glad he puts on a shirt with his sweats. Youngest ds, however, has been know to 'attend class' butt naked. His hiney is still all toddlery cute so it's too adorable to force him to be dressed all the time.

Guest janainaz

My kids brush their teeth, take a shower or bath (if needed) and wear whatever they want (boxers, pajama bottoms, whatever!).

Me....I take a shower, do my hair and makeup and quite often put my pajamas back on unless I have to go somewhere.

I love homeschooling and I love being comfortable.

Well, we have a unique situation in that we run a farm. We have farm clothes, town clothes and house clothes. You would not believe how many times a day we change our clothes! We don't wear our farm clothes aroung the house OR into town because they are full of ....well, you know. We don't wear our town clothes around the house or on the farm because we really don't have that many of them and we want them to be clean for town. We wear our "house clothes" which turn out to be like PJ's...okay the ARE PJ's since we sleep in them too! You know, t-shirts and lounge pants. So, that's how we all dress while not in town and not out on the farm. It is comfortable.

That being said, I DO agree that on days when I get dressed "to the shoes" I do get more done. No doubt about that. On days when I have company comming and HAVE to get the house clean, the first thing I do is put on my shoes....hmmmm.

So, I like wearing lounge clothes around the house, but I also think that we would ALL get more done if we didn't. How's that for clearity? I don't think that having a rule about dress or even some sort of simple "uniform" is creepy. I just don't have the discipline to implement it and at this point, my kids would kill me.

Lol, that is funny, I agree though.

I do make the kids get dressed in clothes, but I dont mind what. I wont let them do school in pjs because I did Flylady for years and it just got drummed in to me- get dressed to shoes each day (not that I make the kids wear shoes) because it kind of energises you. I find it to be true for me, I just feel better when I put clothes on rather than stay in my pjs.

When I have to go to meetings or give presentations, I dress in my sharpest suits. It does make me feel a certain way -- smart, if you will.

This is exactly why I thought there might be something to the uniform idea. When I used to work in the business world, and I dressed for it, I was definitely more focused when I put on those clothes. Now, whether that was a conditioned response in me, I don't know. But I could see how lazy clothes could put someone in a lazy mindset and special clothes for school time could make a person keep in mind that it is meant to be school time and not laze around on the sofa time.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your responses! :D

Since we prefer a year-round approach to homeschooling, our dress code differs with the season. We also have all boys so I don't have to worry about girls but here we go.

When it's hot outside and even hotter in the house, I want to see them in at least underwear and shorts or their swimtrunks. So long as they can asnwer the door decently, I'm happy. In the winter. we keep our house pretty warm so they have their choice of what goes on the bottom so long as their underwear is covered and jammies are okay. The big difference is they have to have some kind of shirt on but I don't care how long the sleeves are.

Does that make sense?

Heidi

I didn't vote in the poll because our situation is a little different than most. Dd does wear a uniform to her cottage school. These are all homeschooled kids, but we parents decided that it would help the students feel more serious and "official" if they had uniforms. I notice on days when they don't wear them (due to extremely cold weather) that they are less attentive and more likely to get off-task. Just an anecdotal observation. On days when dd is schooling at home, she wears her regular clothes.

My children have red polo shirts that I bought during "back to school" season and khaki colored pants as their uniform that they wear for some field trips -- the "non" messy trips (ie., museums, theatre).:)

Edited by Vanna
aargh! spelling mistake

:001_huh:

:lol:

Julie, I'm glad you got my joke. I forgot to put a smilie. Our uniform is whatever is clean. I hate doing laundry so we're often running around nekkid in the morning looking for clean undies. Thank God we're all girls. That's probably why God gave me two girls, He knows how much I hate sorting laundry:lol:

Julie, I'm glad you got my joke. I forgot to put a smilie. Our uniform is whatever is clean. I hate doing laundry so we're often running around nekkid in the morning looking for clean undies. Thank God we're all girls. That's probably why God gave me two girls, He knows how much I hate sorting laundry:lol:

Oh, Dorinda, I'm so glad it was a joke!

I crept out onto that limb... I just figured, if you were serious, you'd ignore me.

Oh, Dorinda, I'm so glad it was a joke!

I crept out onto that limb... I just figured, if you were serious, you'd ignore me.

IS THAT WHY EVERYONE IGNORED ME?!?!:smilielol5:

Now, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. Gotta have the smilies if you're going to be sarcastic!

I chose "have never worn uniforms," but I always make them get dressed. Pajama school would JUST NOT WORK here. I have read posts about cozy pajama school with amazement--PJ school would mean major mom headache here!

Strict mama requires: Fully dressed, breakfast eaten, morning chores done, devotions completed, front and center by 0830.

We do not use uniforms and never have, but I can see where it could help some children to switch gears from being in a relaxed informal mind set to getting focused and gearing up to get some work done. Sometimes they need a little help to know when it is appropriate to be in which mind set.

I think we should just realize that each family and the children in the families have different personalities and make different decisions.

I don't want uniforms but I won't laugh at you if you do. :001_smile: