Menu

How far ahead do you plan?

Amber in AUS

Am i absolutely nuts for looking at things long term?

Like yesterday for eg i had a ooooohhhh, lets do Sonlight next year day so i was on the net working out what we would do and when to keep all DC together then figuring out what i would do instead of the American History years, add in Winter Promise, pick up Australian History etc. So the band plays on.

Please tell me other people do this too and i am not the only OCD one who wants to stay on the same path long term :confused:

I don't plan that far ahead. In the spring, I look to next year so I can purchase items over the summer. During the school year, I plan for the week.

Your children are all young. And you're eager to get started. You're excited. :)

It's good to think ahead, but just remember that 4 is so little yet. Little ones change so much, and it's hard to plan too far ahead. Start simply. Enjoy this sweet time. :)

I have a long-term plan for the path I would like to take to graduate each of our boys. I have a specific lesson plan for each boy that will take us through the rest of this school year. Right now, I'm deciding if I'll make any changes to my long-term plans for next year. Once I have a plan in place I'll purchase the books I need. Each summer, I plan out the lessons for the next school year.

I love to plan and organize though. Today, I decided to declutter all of the books in our house on a whim; I think it's just part of my personality.

My oldest is 5 and starting K next yr although we are already doing K and 1st grade stuff. I have everything planned all the way through 12th. I like to have it planned an typed out on the computer so I have an idea where I'm headed. I tweak it back periodically. I know it is subject to change when I find another curriculum that I like better or if we try something and end up not liking it. But I still like ot have it because I like to know where I'm headed. I also buy over the course of the yr for the next yr as used material becomes available and as I save up money. I originally planned things when he was first born and I think I've stayed pretty close to what I had planned.

I have a K-12 plan for each child. I modify it at least twice per year, but I think it is important (at least for us) to have a long term goal when making plans from year to year.

I do this, too. Doesn't everyone?:001_huh:

Seriously, my middle ds will be in 11th grade next year and will take a couple of dual enrollment classes. He plans to spend his first two years of college at home. The local, practically around the corner, CC has an transfer agreement with the state university he wants to attend. We spent today looking at the 60+ hours that he will take to receive his Associates degree and flipping to the state university transfer agreement page to see which classes were accepted at both places for general ed requirements. I think we now have a loose game plan for his last two years of high school and his first two years of college. This was the first time that we have attempted to plan coursework beyond high school. It was an event.:tongue_smilie:

Mandy

As of this moment, I already know pretty much what we're doing next year and have purchased most of the materials. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon sketching out history lesson plans for next year.

Normally, I do all of my lesson planning for the year over the summer. It might require some tweaking during the year, but the bones are there right up front. This year, I'm feeling at loose ends and know that it may be a very busy summer, so I'm starting my planning early.

On my computer, I have folders set up titled "Homeschooling 20XX-20XX" for the next two years. In those folders are documents called "Planning," in which I am keeping notes of books we might want to read and DVDs to get from Netflix and field trips we might take during that year. In those folders are also any documents I've already downloaded that I think might come in handy for those years.

You are not alone.

Ah, yes - planning!

I've always had a K-12 plan, from even before we started homeschooling. Of course, it changes all the time - new products come along, children's interests change, and different children respond to different materials, methods and ideas, but I always have a 'master plan' as our guide.

As well, I have our yearly plan, so I know what we are aiming for this current year.

I probably spend about as much time planning as I do actually teaching! Or at least I used to - after 12 years of homeschooling, I'm a 'little' more organised these days, and have more of an idea about what works and what doesn't with us.

Of course, just when I DO have it all completely figured, that new curriculum is released onto the market to tempt me, but well, at least that means variety.......

I used to think I had it all planned out for K-12 when my dd started homeschooling in K. After 4 years, I completely changed everything when I read TWTM. I had been using a traditional boxed curriculum, and I realized it's weaknesses and how much more fun we could be having! Anyway, that experience taught me not to plan too far in advance. I pretty much have next year planned, and I guess I have a shady plan for the future, but I'm not too attached to it.

I do have a friend who is really bothered that she doesn't have a good science plan for high school for her current 3rd grader :)

I used to have a written K-12 plan but I changed it so many times that now it is only a mental plan. I think it is important to have a long-term plan so you know where you are headed.

I also buy ahead of time. I buy in bits and pieces so it's easier on the budget. I just finished the buying of my books and curriculum for next year. Now I need to start to do loose lesson plans for next year. Sometimes I think the planning and buying is what I like the best of homeschooling. It keeps me excited about the whole process.

Like yesterday for eg i had a ooooohhhh, lets do Sonlight next year day so i was on the net working out what we would do and when to keep all DC together then figuring out what i would do instead of the American History years, add in Winter Promise, pick up Australian History etc. So the band plays on.

Please tell me other people do this too and i am not the only OCD one who wants to stay on the same path long term :confused:

I do it, but it's more like a game of "What If," like "What if for second grade we don't do GTG and instead do MBTP or FIAR with PLL? What if I don't want to do PLL for 2 years - what will we do for third grade LA?", etc. I do have a rough plan, but I keep it on a Word document so I can tweak it to my heart's content without having to rewrite it. :001_smile:

I used to do this. I would plan it out until the end and then redo it and redo it and redo it.

Now I only plan what I will use next year, and when I get items in I figure out how long it should last us but we really only do the next thing and I make plans every other week for what we are really doing.

Have fun with your plans. It is enjoyable.:001_smile:

I've got a basic plan but don't have the curriculum plugged in for it. I just know what goals I have for dd. I started with high school and worked backwards. Example - I know I want her to be working on translating Latin in high school so I can work backwards from there to see when we would need to start to accomplish that goal.

My son is in 1st grade, and I'm starting to slow down just a little on my planning. I ended up buying stuff for 1st grade when he was in k that wasn't a good fit because he matured.

So, I tentatively plan. It's more on paper, and then when I can see how he's growing, I'll go buy it right before we use it.

Sometimes I think the planning and buying is what I like the best of homeschooling. It keeps me excited about the whole process.

That's exactly what I was thinking the other day. When I can be planning/buying for the next section, I'm so much more motivated to actually "do" what we're supposed to be doing right now. It keeps me charged up.

I've decided to change and have goals for the year, but not do all of the purchasing for the whole year. I'm going to leave myself some planning/buying built in, so I can have something to look forward to!

Oh, it's fun to plan, lol. However there's a difference between "buy now" plans, "someday" plans, and "wouldn't that be fun" plans. :)

Functionally, I buy a semester ahead. If I buy further ahead than that, it doesn't usually work out. They're constantly growing, so you don't know what they'll be like a year from now, how their maturity, interests, or learning styles will develop.

Yes we plan our years and we buy a year ahead. I created our scope and sequence for my younger sons just last year for the first time so I had a chance to put my thoughts on paper. I couldn't do that with my oldest because he didn't come home until 9th grade and I didn't have a clue about high school so unfortunatley, he was a high school guinea pig.:D I am currently working on my dd. She is officially start preschool in the upcoming year.

Your kids are very young. I would caution about "deciding" on anything right now.

Rather read up on all the different curricular available, browse through the materials at curriculum fairs, look at your friend's books.

Read up on the various education approaches, read what Sonlight's ideas are, get a feel for what WTM is all about, also look into others such as Charlotte Mason, etc.

Get an overall idea of where you are going in the various stages, grammar, logic and rhetoric - but be careful about making any decisions.

I have a long term plan for science and history, like right through graduation for all 4 kids including baby girl who is only 16 months. The rest I have been up late at night all week figuring out for next year, and absoulutely unable to sleep because it is not planned out. I have bought most of what I need for next year, but am tweaking it and deciding over all the best things to use to help with having 3 doing full school next year, plus a toddler plus run a home daycare. Last night was spent going through sonlight again figuring out what works for us and what conflucts with my goals for the long term. I think now that I have all that figured out, I will sleep better tonight, and then it is just a waiting game for the new catalogue to come out to confirm if that is the route I am going, and order.

SO that takes care of the big picture, but then my actual lesson plans I do up a full year at a time, so I am planned right through August and starting on my september plans for the books I already have. I am OCDish about planning though, I am a list making planner all the way and have been since childhood, so that just easily transferred into this. I like the idea that Jenny in florida had of the folders on her desktop, but I am more of a pen and paper planner. Which means I go through tons of pens and papers as I plan and wtweak and rewrite lists/plans lol

"My people perish for lack of vision."

Hey, God said that in the Bible...it's good enough for me!

I like to plan and then stay open and not rigid in my thinking-sometimes you just have to switch in mid-year if what you thought would work for a child isn't working.

I used to try to plow through stuff that took me over the edge because I didn't want to waste money (curriculum) I think I cried more than my children. Now, I bag what doesn't work for us and switch to the next thing.

Blessings-remember, "The mind of man plans his way-but God directs His steps."

Edited by CherylG

I LOVE to plan!! It is really one of my favorite parts of homeschooling. Which is why I SO FRUSTRATED that I can't find my copy of WTM right now. I wanted to do some planning for next year and wanted to look something up and I can't find it!!!!! I hate misplacing things.

I have a long-term plan for the path I would like to take to graduate each of our boys. I have a specific lesson plan for each boy that will take us through the rest of this school year. Right now, I'm deciding if I'll make any changes to my long-term plans for next year. Once I have a plan in place I'll purchase the books I need. Each summer, I plan out the lessons for the next school year.

I love to plan and organize though. Today, I decided to declutter all of the books in our house on a whim; I think it's just part of my personality.

What she said.

Oh, it's fun to plan, lol. However there's a difference between "buy now" plans, "someday" plans, and "wouldn't that be fun" plans. :)

Functionally, I buy a semester ahead. If I buy further ahead than that, it doesn't usually work out. They're constantly growing, so you don't know what they'll be like a year from now, how their maturity, interests, or learning styles will develop.

Oh, yes - I learnt about all this the hard way! :tongue_smilie:

When we first started out, I thought I knew exactly what we were doing, and exactly the resources we would be needing for the next few years - and bought accordingly.

Of course, our plans changed, the children's needs changed, and so our resources changed, and I was left with heaps of brand new curriculum that we never used - thank heavens for the 2nd hand sale boards!

Now, I only buy what we need in the immediate future - yeh, about a semester ahead.

Still enjoy working on all those plans, though! :seeya:

I've been looking more at the subjects we do together long term. I've got to see where the youngers will fit in. :) What will they be doing while the olders are in High School? Stuff like that, but it's really all in my head. Nothing concrete.

With some subjects I work backward. If I want my child to take Calculus in High School, when would they have to start Algebra I? Etc. Obviously, though if one of my children just isn't math-minded I won't push it.

I buy a year ahead. Well, I buy at Tax Return for the following year. A lot of the things we are ready to start around March though.

I just bought Math on the Level for someone who won't be ready to start it until the end of the year, or maybe even next year. Part of that was "hey, spend the money while it's available coz it might not be by then" the other part had to be some ridiculous pregnancy nesting thing. Anyway, I'm delighted to have it and have been thoroughly reading it, but somehow it doesn't seem quite so important as it did the other week!

:001_rolleyes:

Rosie

I have Calvin's schooling planned up to age 16. I don't buy in advance though, because things change. I probably alter his spreadsheet at least once a month.

Laura

Me, too. I have spreadsheets for both kids and have mapped their lives out for the next 4 years. It seems most efficient to plan ahead.

As for next year (7th & 9th), all is planned, materials purchased and mom is pre-reading.

I plan for the next year anwhere from the beginning of the previous year. I like to buy 2nd hand books so it gives me plenty of time to look for them.

Its probably a bit over the top really, since a lot of what I plan never eventuates- but I really enjoy the planning side of things and I spend a lot of time sitting around while the kids are doing their work- may as well plan ahead!

Thank you all so much for talking about the long-term! I have been planning for fall already, and my husband thinks I'm nuts for not waiting till summer to even start!! No way could I do that. I'd panic. Since fall will be my first semester, I haven't been thinking much past that, though I know what definitely needs focus this year. We'll get there. I figure the 2010 school year will really get me going. I'm so excited, and so is my son. He's so antsy to get into SOTW he can hardly stand it. :D

OK just shoot me...:svengo: I have a "tentative" plan in place for K-12. We are only in our 2nd year. I know that it will probably change a million times before they are seniors,:D but I feel like I have to have long term plans in place because I want to make sure my dc have the correct scope and sequence. For example, I don't want to get to upper levels of science and find out my child should have taken a certain math course as a prerequisite. Or that I did the math courses in the correct order, and so on. It also makes it easy to see it on a spread sheet because I can see what all we will cover and I can make sure that we don't leave anything out. And the classes flow.:o

Because of the ridiculous cost of postage, I take advantage of any willing couriers to bring a few books at a time back from the USA.

I have Singapore math, SOTW books and CD's, science and geography for 2 to 3 years ahead. So far we've used all of the curriculum I've bought, but I usually do a lot of online research before buying as I can't just send something back and the 2nd hand market here is very small. This helps with curriculum-hoping!

I also have a booklist in my wallet and whenever I find something at a reasonable price, I buy it. This includes SOTW, WTM, Sonlight, Veritas and other suggestions for high school. From our bookshelves you'd say we are very well read in the classics, but I'm afraid I'm mostly at a fourth grade level!

I have tentative (some parts concrete) plans for a kid who hasn't even been born yet.

I am nuts, but I'd rather say it's the Capricorn and girl guide in me that likes to "Be Prepared."

:)

Rosie

I have had plans (and materials) since before I had a child. I know they are subject to change, but I like to know the big picture.

I have a basic plan through high school...not necessarily the exact curriculum but the subjects I intend to cover. I've graduated one, will graduate the second one this spring and have a second grader...I have a long way to go! I do purchase curriculum ahead some and my bf and I share lots of stuff. (Our kids are staggered in age which works out great for us.)

Generally I purchase anything I'm missing for the next year at convention.

I drew up a table with grade level down one side, subjects across the top and set about filling it in. When stuff gets done will depend on the kids, and I fully expect to change my mind about certain resources, but the exercise has really helped me think through my educational philosophies on different areas. I'm slowly collecting resources for the pre-school years as funds allow me to visit my beloved amazon.com! The more of those types of resources I have in advance, the less I'll have to flutter my eyelashes at dh later :) The stuff I buy will be useful to have around even if something dreadful happens and we don't homeschool after all.

Rosie