Menu

Who knows someone famous?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father in law broke Michael Landon's leg when they were on opposing teams in a high school football game. So he says.

My dad had dinner with Hootie and the Blow Fish back when they were famous and everyone knew who they were. Except my dad. He had absolutely no idea who they were. Oh, and he knows Pele (soccer star).

My husband has met gobs of famous people: Ronald Reagan, both George Bushes, Dick Cheney, Dick Armey, Ron Paul, John McCain, Rick Perry, Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Jack Valenti, John Fund and Steve Moore from the Wall Street Journal, Fred Barnes from Fox News, Jack Kemp, William Bennett, Dan Quail, Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, Newt Gingrich, Ben Stein, Steve Forbes, Will Smith, Bo Derek twice, and Don Henley (the guy who sang Hotel California). He once had lunch with five members of the House of Lords, and they discussed homeschooling!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dh, especially, knows all kinds of people. He knew Saul Bellow pretty well, and appraised his private library for him when he (Mr. Bellow) was preparing to move from Chicago to Vermont. He knows Roger Ebert. He knew Bill Veeck (former owner of the White Sox).

We sold an antique spinning wheel that used to sit in front of our fireplace to Amy Madigan and Ed Harris.

We know many people that are famous in their academic or political fields and are often interviewed on Discovery Channel documentaries or news analysis shows. Egyptologists, paleontologists, foreign policy guys, etc. I used to correspond regularly with former CNN and ABC anchor Aaron Brown.

Our bookstore has been used in film and television because it's so "quaint and picturesque." Our shop is to be seen, very fleetingly, in a scene in the film "Love Jones," for example.

And back when I was a young lass, I knew many major league baseball players, some of whom are now Hall of Famers, like Carlton Fisk. But my favorite was my high school coach, Al Pilarcik, who had played for the Orioles during his MLB career.

I went to high school with Chris Hammond, former Braves pitcher. My ds asked if I was nice to him and I told him I would have been a lot nicer if I would have known he was going to make the big bucks!! LOL

I rode horses with Bear Bryant's granddaughter in college. Roll Tide!! He would come down as a grandpa, not the legendary coach. Great man. He died that same year, my freshman year in college. He gave me an autographed poster I had framed and hangs in my den.

Mike Minter, former NFL player, came to our church. Rudy from the movie is speaking at our church next month.

We also had Greg Russell from Hilton Head Island to our church to promote his movie. He hung out with us for a while.

Kate Jackson's sister was my high school English teacher and they looked exactly the same.

My distant cousin was Lyndon Johnson. My grandmother used to go to their house every summer for a visit.

Okay - here is my (yawn....) list:

I waited on Debra Winger when she was in town filming "Terms of Endearment"

I went to elementary school with Carrie Duncan - sister of actress Sandi Duncan

In high school I took classes with -and laughed a lot at - Craig Anton, who plays the dad on Disney Channel's "Phil of the Future".

I went to a different high school (senior year) with this guy whose brother played the pilot in "The Twilight Zone Movie" - He spoke in one of my classes about his experiences in Hollywood. Not positive.

And, of course, I met SWB in Kansas City in 2003 :)

And...

My husband currently plays in a band with John Thompson, Christian songwriter who wrote "El Shaddai" and "Sanctuary"

Denise in NE

Who do you know or have met?

I met and got a wet willy from Al Denson.

Back when dh was racing, he met Paul Newman.

I met SWB at the 2006 HEAV convention and she autographed my WTM book.

Our family is friends with Dan Breeding and his family. He's not exactly famous but he is an animal trainer who has appeared on numerous TV shows. He was on Regis and Kelly last week with Peter Gross and he hit Kelly on the butt with his alligator's tail. When dh told me about it, I just laughed and said, "How many people can say they know someone who hit Kelly Rippa on the butt with his alligator's tail?!" Dan used to train chimps and other animals that were in movies, but he found himself in an ethical dilemma with animals being trained to act like people, so he stopped doing that. Here is his website: http://www.creaturesofcreation.org/aboutus_principals.php

• 2 weeks later...

I knew Edward Norton (actor in American History X and Fight club) in high school.

So did you also know Colleen? She went to high school with him too.

Jesse Jackson spoke at my high school; and, as part of the SGA, I got to have breakfast with him.

I taught Jesse Jackson's great nephew. He was a feisty little boy who had a very short temper. Once, when he was mad at me, he said, "I'm going to call my Uncle Jesse on you!" I replied, "Great! I'd love to meet him." He didn't try that again.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just now seeing this and read every single one. It's fascinating to see the connections!

I've met very few famous people myself, but my brother is constantly meeting famous people. Let's see.

He played on Kevin Costner's cd, so he met him. He met Dolly Parton when she was rehearsing in a studio next to the one he was rehearsing in. He played with Lee Roy Parnell, so I've met him. He's playing with BlackHawk now, so I should meet them soon. Um, I stood next to one of the designers from Trading Spaces in TJ Maxx a few years ago. Oh, Jimmy Carter read my kids a book last summer. You could see my sons hair in the Washington Post LOL, but that was all you could see of him.

I went to the Grand Ole Opry last year and met Little Jimmy Dickens, Porter Wagoner, Whispering Bill, etc. I didn't know who most of them were, but my brother did his best to explain to me how important they were.

As you can tell, all of my brushes with fame have been through my brother, except for the Jimmy Carter one.

Kimberly Williams Paisley and David Schwimmer. I also took a class with Nancy Pelosi's daughter, Alexandra (does that count).

My brother who wrote for the same schools newspaper got to meet Charleton Heston and Cindy Crawford (two of our famous alumni).

• 1 month later...

I have met Steven Curtis Chapman and got to eat lunch with his brother Herbie. On a family note, unfortunetly my great uncle, John Birkhead, suggested the idea of the humanist manifesto to John Milton and hung out with his in the early 1930's. My husband use to live on property owned by John Paul Jones and his 5th Greatgrandfather so something like that lived a mile from Patrick Henry and guarded him during the Rev. War.

I met the Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter) briefly. I met Wayne Newton and his wife. Wayne held my oldest daughter (when she was still an infant) during a boxing match when we were stationed in Korea. He did a performance later that night.

I met George Bush when he was campaigning for his son.

As a child I received an award in a competition from Lindy Boggs.

In High School

I had lunch with:

Margaret Thatcher, Colin Powell, Paul Tsongas

Provided Security for:

David Copperfield, Gerald McRaney, Delta Burke, James Browne

Met casually/socially:

Anne Rice, Harry Connick, Jr., Harry Connick, Sr., Wilson Goode, Bruce Marks, Arlen Spector, John Street, Ed Rendell, Frank Rizzo, Trent Reznor, David Vitter, Mary Landrieu

I'll have to think about college and post-college...

I went to highschool with Janice Dickinson, ex-supermodel and producer of "Janice Dickinson"s Modeling Agency" on the Oxygen channel. She was my sister's best friend.

From what I can tell, she hasn't changed much. A little skinnier, and harsher. She never liked me, either.:glare:

Geo

You all do!!!! (Just wait....) ;) :lol:

:lol:

That's what dh keeps promising me too. ;) Though he's *known* in some VERY small circles online within his niche.

I evidently went to the same college as Jenna Fischer (Plays Pam on The Office) but she's 3 or so years ahead of me, and I have no memory of meeting her. But my path didn't cross that of many theater majors, other than playing pit for one musical production.

I was in a dance troupe with Natalie Maines (Dixie Chicks singer) in Jr. High. Her family had a local band, the Maines Brothers. It was really kind of funny...she got a scholarship to Boston College (I think) to study music. The local news was interviewing her and asked about her goals in studying music. She said "I just know I'm not going to grow up to be some chick singer in a country band!" ROFLMAO!!!

I had lunch with Bruce Springsteen. I was underwhelmed because all he wanted to talk about was politics! :mad:

He still has a to die for tush, politics aside.;)

I AM SO JEALOUS! So very, very jealous... how did you get to have lunch with him? When was this? I love Bruce. :D and I'm jealous. He can talk politics with me (or pretty much anything he wants to talk about) ANY DAY!

I was in the front row at a Van Halen concert and David Lee Roth said several questionable things to me, does that count?? LOL.

I've met one of the singers from Mushroomhead, he signed my ticket and shook my hand.

And either Brewer or Shipley signed my ticket and shook my hand when they opened for Shooting Star.

And that is as close as I've ever gotten to fame......

And clwcain, whoever you are :), Trent Reznor is a musical genius, how awesome that you've met him.

I've read them all - whew! What an impressive list. I do not *know* anyone really famous but I've had some brushes here and there.

Here is my list (in chronological order so as not to offend any of the celebs who visit this board):

I met Pat Boone at the Officer's Swimming pool at SAC Hdqtrs in Omaha, NB. He was getting a tour or something and came out of the men's side of the bathhouse surrounded by guards and was wearing a white suit and white shoes - no joke.

I was coming out of a dry cleaner in Arlington, VA as a very tall, handsome sort of guy was coming in. He smiled widely and just said "Hi, there!" After I was in the parking lot, I realized it was Anson Williams (Potsy from Happy Days). I waited for him to come out, got his autograph and had a nice conversation with him. He spent the whole time asking me about *my* life. Totally down to earth and nice. (He was picking up some dry cleaning for his in-laws).

I worked for a lawyer who was friends with Sen. John Warner and I once had to work on a campaign mailing for him. I worked overtime several nights in a row and Sen. Warner sent me a letter thanking me for my help.

I lived in a tiny, run-down brick apartment building in Falls Church, VA and my across-the-hall neighbor's radiator went on the blink. She called the maintenance guy and he showed up with his daughter and Joe Jacoby - one of the "Hogs" from the Superbowl winning Redskins team (he was dating the daughter at the time). I was introduced and I managed to say, "Hi." Didn't think about asking for his autograph until a few days later.

I will share this one just because I find it humorous. I was given tickets to the Kennedy Center to see the National Symphony Orchestra when I was in my early twenties. I went with my then boyfriend and our seats were in the stratosphere facing the opposite side of the concert hall (not the stage). After straining to turn my head and watch the orchestra I finally gave up and just decided to sit back and scan all the other members of the audience.

At the beginning of one piece an older gentlemen with stark white hair and a younger nondescript man entered on the box level. They did not sit down but stood near the railing - neither one removing his coat. The white-haired guy began to motion with the instruments and conduct the piece the orchestra was playing as if to instruct the younger guy. All I could think was, "Yeah, yeah, we get it. You know the piece inside out. Sit down already. You're making an idiot out of yourself." I almost pointed him out to my companion but didn't want to interrupt his listening experience.

At the end of the piece, the orchestra received a lot of applause with the conductor bowing and pointing to the orchestra and all that usual conductor stuff. Then he waved his arm out into the hall and pointed to the guy I had been so disgusted with who then also took a bow. The audience erupted in thunderous applause and then rose quickly to their feet. (sorry for the cliches - I'm too tired to think of another way to say it). It turned out to be Leonard Bernstein. I'm glad I kept my mouth shut.

I met Andrew Pudewa and Ken Ham at the HEAV convention last year. Both are very gracious and kind.

I met Jeannie Chancey (Passionate Housewives) at a retreat in Luray, VA back in the 90's. She is a very nice person with a servant heart.

And, I know Howard Phillips (former presidential nominee for the Constitution Party), his son and dil, Doug and Beall Phillips, (Vision Forum), as well as his other son Brad Phillips because they used to be members of my church in Woodbridge, VA. Doug and Brad had lunch one Sunday afternoon with dh and me before either one was married - dh and I were "ministering" to the singles community - LOL. If you ever listen to Doug's message about marriage, the pastor with the thick New Jersey accent he mentions is my pastor :).

• 1 month later...

Danestress' reply has me thinking: Who do you know that is famous? (sports, music, art, politics, industry,science, etc)

I really believe in the Six Degrees of Separation. We all know someone who knows someone... (Maybe one of you is secretly famous and hasn't shared this yet :))

Dh and I know a former NPR Marketplace host (David Brown) pretty well. He had a carrel directly behind dh in law school, so we knew him pretty well. He is a genuinely NICE, intelligent, interesting guy.

Dh used to do legal work for a former commissioner of baseball (Fay Vincent), who's also a very nice person. He and his wife came to dinner at our house once.

In college, I was a theater geek. I worked on plays with a man who later had a small speaking part in "Forrest Gump." My friend played the long-haired VietNam activist behind Tom Hanks on the podium at the Washington Monument. He's the one who pushed Forrest up on the stage to speak.

A college friend was briefly famous a few years ago when her life partner died in a vicious dog attack outside her apartment.

George and Alec Gallup, founders of the Gallup Poll (or was it their father who started it?), are old family friends. In fact, Alec has proposed marriage to my mother more than once. (She keeps saying no because she doesn't want to ruin their friendship.)

And, for a few years as a kid, I lived down the road from Jacqueline Kennedy O'Nassis.

Okay, let me think.

My dh and I went to law school with Martin O'Malley who is gov of MD now.

My godfather's son was the inspiration for the movie Good Morning, Vietnam (Robin Williams played the guy).

My mother met JFK at a White House function.

Dh works with an economics consultant from MIT who has Yo Yo Ma over to his house every Passover. How's that for attenuated!

I met Jackson Browne very briefly once back when I was 16.

Eddie Albert (the guy from Green Acres) bumped into me at a cocktail party one time and said 'excuse me' to me!

My sister rode in a limo with George Hamilton to some presidential inaugaral ball and she said he was really funny and charming! And he danced with her once too and he was a really good dancer.

My brother in law lost 50 dollars to Johnny Carson at poker game somewhere (Las Vegas??? Reno?)

Once when dh and I were walking down a street in Malibu (or some place like that, dh was in LA on business and I came along for the ride) I saw Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid getting out a car. This was back when they were married.

George Bush Sr waved at me once from his limo!

And last but not least, my great great grandfather was Samuel Gompers (my mother's side) and my paternal grandfather was friends with Dorothy Day the founder of the Catholic Worker movement. Those facts I find really cool!

My husband is on speaking terms with Mike Huckabee, they have talked on the phone (my hubby used to own a *huge* drilling business down on the Arkansas/Missouri/Oklahoma area), he has had lunch with Obama (no we will not vote for him :001_huh:)...not really 'famous' but anyway...you'll also soon see the name George Bialecki on television, he is a 'green builder' and has been chosen to represent the USA over in Beijing for the Future House project...that is my hubby's business partner.

When I was in my early 20's I was a waitress in a VERY small town. I waited on and sat/talked to Ted Nugent every year when he came up for deer hunting, even went to parties he was at with my friends. ack! lol

20 years ago, I met John Elefante (from Petra and former lead singer of Kansas). 2 friends and I got to meet him and he showed us his studio. A mutual friend arranged the meeting for us.

My dad played drums in a band in the 1960s in Bakersfield, which was quite the happening place on the music scene at the time. He knew Buck Owens (from Hee Haw). I don't know what happened, but the family story is that Mr. Owens did something to mess up my dad's musical career. My mom never had anything nice to say about him.

My great uncle, who was also a musician was good friends with Tex Ritter (John Ritter's dad) and his family.

Because of dh and my political dealings, we know several people that know influential members of Congress, the President and other high level politicians and government officials.

Can I do a "I know someone who knows someone"?

Our former church's former youth pastor's wife (still following?) is very close friends with Kate DiCamillo. And their son asked her for a story about a mouse with very large ears...and Despereauxwas born.

I have a good friend in Colorado whose dad was James Irwin, the astronaut.

My husband's sister's husband's sister -- or cousin? (lol) -- was married to Lorenzo Lamas.

My cousin was in a band called Idle Eyes in Canada and the opened for Tears for Fear and Bryan Adams back in the late '80s.

Nothing TOO amazing; the first one surprised me when I discovered this. I was over at her house for the first time -- our kids playing together -- and she was talking about something related and the way she said it I finally realized she was saying James Irwin was her *dad* and I was floored. Thought that was pretty cool.

I met Jonathan Winters in Palm Springs. My friend and I went into an icecream shop and saw him and were arguing whether it was him or not. He said, "Whoever says it is is right." Then he bought our icecream and gave us an autograph! I always thought he was a funny guy!

My 8th grade class went to the taping a gameshow. They had Jamie Farr (from MASH) and what's his name--the guy that played Radar O'Reilly (also from MASH).

Extreme Home Makeover came to town and I was able to be a "Blue Shirt" (volunteer). I was able to talk with and get this picture with Tanya. It was November, and freezing cold (literally), but Blue Shirts HAVE to wear the shirt on the outside, so we had to pull it over our coats. We all looked fat! ;)

post-3326-13535082622412_thumb.jpg

post-3326-13535082622412_thumb.jpg

My grandfather and his brother swore they knew John Dillinger and Al Capone. He even had a few stories about each. Around here, though, I think everyone's grandfather (of the families who've lived here for generations) claims to have known those two.;)

Well, dh is a southern gospel singer and was with one of the "big name" groups, so we've got many friends in that circle.

He has also worked with Elvis' former bandmates, Lisa Marie Presley, Eric Clapton, Dolly Parton, and has sung for the King of Thailand. Oh yeah, he also went horseback riding at Kirstie Alley's ranch once.

Does that count? :001_smile:

My Mother-in-law is somewhat famous in the nursing field. She was president of a national nursing sorority and wrote textbooks for nursing schools. She is now retired and writes murder mystery novels. There is a very old picture of dh and ds on her website when we were at one of her book signings.

One of our neatest I met someone famous stories was when we were in Hilton Head Island. Dh and I were wandering through this very expensive menswear store. They had a model of an old AJ Foyt race car. I had just bought dh the same car. We commented on that to the owner and he said, "That my car." very smugly. Then he said, as our jaws dropped, "Yes, I own the original, it sits in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum." It was Bob Bowes. Dh got his autograph and we put with the car. It held a lot of memories because his dad had been such a Bob Bowes and AJ Foyt fan.