Menu

Why is “Double Denim” Mocked?

Ginevra

Some 7 or 8 years ago, I bought a Jean jacket that I liked a lot and thought was cute. In part, I had recently seen my beautiful friend wearing a cotton sundress with a cropped jean jacket and it looked really great. And plus, it was just cute and cozy so I bought it. 

But very soon after I bought it, a certain younger person in my life, who always is too willing to provide style guidance (wanted or not), informed me that, while a denim jacket with a cotton sundress was perfect, “double denim” was ridiculous. You know: Jean jacket on top, Jean pants/skirt on the bottom. 

Thus chastened, I pretty much never wore my Jean jacket. For one thing, I hardly ever wear sundresses because I hate my veiny legs and can never figure out shoes that work. For two, if I’m not wearing jeans, I’m wearing either dress trousers for office (Jean jacket does not go) or hiking pants (Jean jacket still doesn’t go). 

But yesterday was celebrated as Denim Day at work, in support of those who have been sexually assaulted (designated after 1998 court case where perpetrator was released because woman was wearing tight-fitting jeans so how could he be blamed). So I wore my double denim in honor of the day. 

Actually, though…it looked good. I mean, I thought so. I felt really cute in my double denim. And I liked wearing that jean jacket. 

So I’m beginning to think I don’t care what my Junior Style Manager says; I might start wearing it like that and young people can snicker all they want. It looks cute! What sayeth the Hive? 

IMG_7486.jpeg

• Like 24

Well first of all, double denim was declared in by Vogue sometime during this school year. And judging by recent runways, it’s still in. Even if it was out last year. 

Secondly, this outfit works anyway because the denims don’t clash and the top provides some separation. If you wore khakis or another pant it would also work. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know but I recently bought a jean jacket. I actually went out to buy one for my teen dd and tried one on to gauge size and was like “wait, I look fabulous!” and now dd and I own matching jean jackets and one must “call” it if we are going to the same place. Because mother/teen denim is worse than double denim. lol.

I would feel ridiculous wearing it with jeans on bottom but your outfit looks good. I did love my jacket so much though that I bought one in an off white color that I do wear with my jeans all the time. 

Your outfit works. I think if the denim was the exact same color and your jeans were looser fit it wouldn’t work. The contrasting top longer than the jacket helps too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

4 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

. Because mother/teen denim is worse than double denim. lol.

I would feel ridiculous wearing it with jeans on bottom but your outfit looks good. I did love my jacket so much though that I bought one in an off white color that I do wear with my jeans all the time. 

Your outfit works. I think if the denim was the exact same color and your jeans were looser fit it wouldn’t work. The contrasting top longer than the jacket helps too.

Quoted because I agree with all of it.  But I know absolutely nothing about fashion/style so I probably shouldn't comment at all.  @Ginevra I think you look great, FWIW.  🙂  

@teachermom2834my dd and I have the same denim jacket but hers is black and mine is blue.  She's 21 but I'm sure the same rule goes as your mother/teen denim!   

• Like 2

Well, last year I bought a longer style jean jacket because I needed something for in-between weather. I wear it with jeans all the time, but I don't have anybody to tell me it's weird. I recently heard a teenager at church saying something to her dad about how he was wearing denim-on-denim and that was a no-no. I just shrugged. I never have been a style icon, so I don't guess I'm going to worry about starting now. I do really like the short ones like you have with sundresses and such--on other people. But I don't own a sundress because I don't like the way my legs look either--not the veins, but they are always pasty white and I have thick ankles. 

• Like 1

I have a dark blue, belted denim suit w/a wide leg trouser that I wear with solid, fitted onesies. Shape and color are more important than fabric imo. I can’t pull off that pale blue stuff.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

I have a dark navy denim and a white denim that I wear to my office, depending on what I have going on. The navy one goes very nicely with a cotton blend trouser-leg pant in several possible colors, generally over a black shell or a similarly understated base layer top. The white goes with so many things it's hard to find something I doesn't go with! It's particularly nice for "summering" something that is less summery.

I like them for keeping me warm in a chilly office, without feeling cardigan-ish.

• Like 1

That’s how I dress when the weather is warm enough that I don’t need a parka. I wear a T-shirt though. I do blue on blue and black on blue. Kind of like how Bon Jovi dress for performances when he does denim on denim.

My denim jackets are actually men’s small (or XS) size ones from Helmut Lang, Rag & Bone, Zadig & Voltaire. 

• Like 1

It’s in fashion.  I really love the blue denim shirt on blue jeans look since I prefer a monochrome look for myself. I just don’t own a denim shirt and little did I know the 90s fashion would be back or I would have kept my wardrobe from back then. 

And you look fabulous!

• Thanks 1

You look great. I can't imagine why this wouldn't be perfectly fine to wear. Agreeing with others that the slightly different shades of denim and the brightly colored top help a lot.

I love denim jackets over sundresses! I don't like to display my veiny legs either, so I just wear long dresses. 

• Like 3

I’ve never really cared much about fashion styles. If something fits and is clean are what I mainly care about. Also, I am of the age that I expect to be mocked by younger generations for my fashion choices, but that is ok, because in my head I am doing the same thing to them.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Is it still a no-no to wear a different color jean jacket from the color of your jeans?

Not here. Denim jacket with jeans is very common even in winter (ours is mild). We see all kinds of color for denim jackets; red, peach, yellow, white, faded blue, indigo. For jeans we see faded blue, indigo, white, black, faded black. The youngsters here rock the look with a cropped exercise top, cropped jacket, ripped jeans. 

@crazyforlatin I think denim on denim was already mainstream in the 80s. I still have my clothes from high school (80s) and college (90s) days. My husband does too. Lots of denim shirts at Levi’s outlet. 

• Like 2

iirc you and I are close in age.  I thought one of the points of middle age was to make our kids cringe?

My kids are way smarter about current fashions than I ever was, and that's how it should be.  But you and I have earned the right to wear whatever makes us feel good, which shouldn't depend on what youngsters think about it.

Most fashion rules are irrational.  I mean, the fashion industry would die if people thought whatever they had/liked was good enough, right?  Just enjoy your denim, and tell your kid she'll understand when she's your age.  😛

An evil additional thought:  "I might have opinions about your clothes sometimes too, but I keep them to myself.  Should I stop doing that?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Is it still a no-no to wear a different color jean jacket from the color of your jeans? Say a white denim jacket with blue jeans. I have a blush color jacket that I love but almost never wear because when I wear pants, I'm usually wearing blue jeans.

If there’s any time to do it, it’s this year. Think of it like red lipstick- technically classic, always ok, feels silly the first few times you wear it in public, but then you get over it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have a young fashion advisor in my life too, but she hasn't responded to my request for comment on double denim. I don't have a dog in this fight, not owning a denim jacket, but I was curious and started googling. I'm pretty sure "Real Simple" magazine is not on the reading list for young trendy fashion people, but I am linking an article with lots of pictures of denim jacket outfits, including one with jeans. The writer says: 

The style rule used to be that a denim jacket with jeans was a no-no—especially if they were the same color. But that rule has definitely changed. "You can definitely pair a denim jacket with jeans! Choose contrasting shades for visual balance," 

Now if I was the writer, I would have put "style rule" in quotation marks because... as @SKLsaid, the fashion industry relies on people being insecure about their clothing choices and feeling the need to follow styles requiring new clothes every season.  And frankly I am too old for that BS, having lived through late 60s hippie, 70s hotpants, 80s platforms and oh so many styles of jeans (bell bottom, flare, skinny, boot cut)... 

I think your outfit looked good. 

https://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/clothing/how-to-wear-a-jean-jacket

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

I don't know if this link will come through, but this is very recent (calvin klein ad using very popular trendsetter in his 20s).  Though this is a guy, young females will buy up all the clothes these guys model, and the styles are pretty much unisex.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Katy said:

If there’s any time to do it, it’s this year. Think of it like red lipstick- technically classic, always ok, feels silly the first few times you wear it in public, but then you get over it. 

I am a red lip connoisseur! That and black anything are perfect for seminar/workshop/presentation days in-person and virtual. I can’t even count the number of people who ask for my red lipstick deets.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I am a red lip connoisseur! That and black anything are perfect for seminar/workshop/presentation days in-person and virtual. I can’t even count the number of people who ask for my red lipstick deets.

spill it here, @Sneezyone!  I'm more of a plumy-brown girl, but once in a while a red would be nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

It’s really hard to get the right red lipstick for me. I’ve tried a few and they come out either too cool or verging on orange. But I bet you look really chic in a black outfit and red lipstick.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

spill it here, @Sneezyone!  I'm more of a plumy-brown girl, but once in a while a red would be nice.

My current favorite deep-ish red is Marc Jacobs “Miss Scarlett” (crème). My favorite bright red is a drug store buy; revlon limitless matte “Top Talent”. It wears all day with great pigment, minimal transference, and I can line it with other things before it dries.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

It’s really hard to get the right red lipstick for me

Try Shiseido counters at Korean supermarkets or standalone stores. I would get one for daytime and one for hotel lighting. The staff are more experience at color matching than department stores. I find Macy’s Estée Lauder counters can get hotel lighting lipstick color matched right because that’s what they are use to doing, but not so great when suggesting daytime colors like for outdoor daytime events. The right foundation color also helps for me. 

Edited by Arcadia
typo
  • Like 1