Menu

Is cereal with milk soup?

Terabith

6 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Also, are hot dogs tacos?

Mmm, the bread is fluffy instead of flat, so closer to a sandwich. Are gyros tacos? 

Edited by Katy
Autocorrect woes
  • Like 1

Cold boxed cereal with milk is definitely soup.

Hot cooked cereal like oatmeal or grits or the corn, wheat, and rice cereal my mom used to make are not soup unless the milk is stirred in very thoroughly.

Is a taco a sandwich?

• Like 1

Just now, maize said:

Cold boxed cereal with milk is definitely soup.

Hot cooked cereal like oatmeal or grits or the corn, wheat, and rice cereal my mom used to make are not soup unless the milk is stirred in very thoroughly.

Is a taco a sandwich?

I agree about both cold cereals with milk being soup and also hot cereals not being soup.  

I think sandwiches have to include bread and be closed.  I don’t really think tacos are sandwiches or even open faced sandwiches are sandwiches, which is ironic.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SKL said:

There's some gray.  What about cream of wheat?

Cream of wheat is not soup.  Hot and cold cereals are never soup.  I don't want to offend the soup lovers so I won't go on about my hatred of soup, but I absolutely love cereal.  They are not even close!  This is a hill I will die on!  😛  

ETA - black and white!  No gray! 

Edited by Kassia
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Kassia said:

Cream of wheat is not soup.  Hot and cold cereals are never soup.  I don't want to offend the soup lovers so I won't go on about my hatred of soup, but I absolutely love cereal.  They are not even close!  This is a hill I will die on!  😛  

ETA - black and white!  No gray! 

I do not understand how someone could hate soup (all soup?  Are there exceptions?) but I agree with you 100% on the rest of this!

1 minute ago, Drama Llama said:

I do not understand how someone could hate soup (all soup?  Are there exceptions?) but I agree with you 100% on the rest of this!

Haaaaate!  Unless you count chili as a soup...I do like that.  

I know it must be weird because everyone else seems to love it.  I just keep quiet when everyone is raving over soup recipes or suggesting soups for dinner ideas or recommending people bring soup to someone for dinner.  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

It's chowder, clearly.

Nope. I love chowder and other food that uses milk. I just don't like the taste of milk alone. And when you eat cereal you taste the milk as if you were drinking it from a glass. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Clarita said:

If cereal with milk is soup does that make it a complete meal for dinner? That's the more important question.

DH had a sausage sandwich once and my kids asked isn't that just a hotdog. 

Clearly a sausage sandwich is a "Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler" meal!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Nope. I love chowder and other food that uses milk. I just don't like the taste of milk alone. And when you eat cereal you taste the milk as if you were drinking it from a glass. 

I like it dry or with almond milk, but the cereal picks up the flavor of the milk so it tastes nothing like regular milk from a glass.  They even sell cereal-flavored milk.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nestle-Sensations-Frosted-Flakes-Cereal-Flavored-Low-Fat-Milk-Ready-to-Drink-14-fl-oz/5079756681?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2359&adid=222222222775079756681_117755028669_12420145346&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-306310554666&wl5=9015255&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=5079756681&wl13=2359&veh=sem_LIA&gclsrc=aw.ds&&adid=222222222375079756681_117755028669_12420145346&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-306310554666&wl5=9015255&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=5079756681&veh=sem&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwh4-wBhB3EiwAeJsppMGzl0XJl0QpaCRABLFrZvMytkM-B26zlqbOEAsKt20hHv_fim8NWxoCXz0QAvD_BwE  I know this comes in froot loop flavor too.  I like the chocolate cereals with milk because then you get chocolate milk when you're done eating.  😛  

• Haha 1

Milk tastes disgusting to me. It doesn't matter what kind of cereal you pour it over it still tastes like milk. Yuck. I don't even like the smell of milk. I have to ask dh or ds to check it and see if it's good because all milk smells like it's gone bad. Once you heat it in a cooked dish the nasty taste goes away.

15 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

I don't know either, and I've got a kid who hates soup. (To be fair, he does like canned tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.)

Cereal is not soup. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

What about jambalaya and gumbo? Are they soup?

Gumbo is soup.

Now I need a recipe for jambalaya soup.  I like jambalaya and I like soup so together sounds like a match made in heaven.

Edited to say: Never mind, I am off to the grocery store for ingredients.

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/jambalaya-soup/

Edited by Drama Llama
Jambalaya soup!!!!!!!!!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/27/2024 at 3:52 PM, Drama Llama said:

I thought of some other possible exceptions other than chili.  

Chicken and dumplings - is that soup?  I haven't had that since I was a kid, but I used to love it.  My beloved aunt used to make it for me and I connect it with feeling loved and safe.  In addition to hating soup, I connect it with bad memories/trauma (I haven't eaten it since I was a child).

What about the inside of chicken pot pie?  I remember liking chicken pot pie when I was growing up but maybe I mainly liked the crust when it got soggy.  

Edited by Kassia

On 3/27/2024 at 1:55 PM, Terabith said:

Oh yes, gyros are definitely tacos!  

No. Because I have never eaten a taco because I hate hot spiciness and whst orhers consider mildly hot is still way to hot for me.  

OTOH. gyros are completely efible for me as a person whose body rebels against hot  foot always and too acidy good a lot of times.

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

No. Because I have never eaten a taco because I hate hot spiciness and whst orhers consider mildly hot is still way to hot for me.  

OTOH. gyros are completely efible for me as a person whose body rebels against hot  foot always and too acidy good a lot of times.

You could eat really mild tacos.  I can't handle any spiciness and they don't bother me if the seasoning is mild.  My dd doesn't like spicy either and she loves tacos.  

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Ditto. Sometimes I swear you must be my long lost twin.

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2024 at 11:34 AM, Kassia said:

I really love cereal with milk and hate soup, so they can't be the same thing.

Me to.  I eat chili but no other soup I tried so hard when I was on liquid diet and nope not a one. I have had 1 potato soup at a restaurant that was not awful but I still didn't like it.  

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 5:22 AM, barnwife said:

I don't know either, and I've got a kid who hates soup. (To be fair, he does like canned tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.)

Cereal is not soup. 

My kid is the opposite. Loooooves soup. But wouldn't eat canned tomato soup to save his life. Lol But, he loves homemade tomato soup - last night's supper was homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

What about stew? Is it soup and if not why not? What is the characteristic difference between them. 

This is a good question and made me think that soup = much more liquid than solids.  So stew would be lots of meat and veggies/potatoes with not a whole lot of liquid (enough to soak and maybe make a gravy, while soup would be all the liquid with those ingredients floating in it.  

With that train of thought, then maybe cereal (hot and cold) would be the same.  If you eat cereal and it's drowning in liquid (which is just wrong), then I guess it's considered soupy and then you could just refer to it as cereal soup.  

47 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Me to.  I eat chili but no other soup I tried so hard when I was on liquid diet and nope not a one. I have had 1 potato soup at a restaurant that was not awful but I still didn't like it.  

whew, I'm glad it's not just me!  

• Like 1