Menu

Lume advertisements….UPDATE in first post

Indigo Blue

just make me want to barf.🤢 

I said it before. I just wanted to say it again. 

That’s all. 

Irrational pet peeve? Maybe. I don’t know. 

If anyone else wants to talk about an irritating pet peeve, go ahead. It’s been awhile since we’ve had a pet peeve thread. 

Also I’m soooo tired of the rain. 

Update:

Um……..I bought Lume today in clean tangerine scent body wash. It smells amazing. Amazing. 🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊

Now running away……🏃🏻‍♀️

PS I still don’t like the ads 😛😤

So many say Lume stinks. Don’t know about the deodorants, but the clean tangerine doesn’t stink. I can’t see how anyone would think it stinks. Ok, so now I need to try it out…..

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

I HATE them too. If simple soap isn’t enough for everything except your underarms, you probably have a medical condition. And there’s zero chance the doctor who created it doesn’t know that. If I knew where she was from I’d complain to the medical board. It’s ridiculous. 

• Like 3

Yes they are so irritating! I also keep thinking that the product is probably interfering with some natural body processes, and the less we do of that, the better. Bodies are made to function a certain way for our health; interrupting that process is not a good idea. 

Edited by scholastica
  • Like 2

Pet peeve: linty toilet paper. There is constantly lint all over my bathroom...my mom's bathroom...my aunt's bathroom...and we are convinced it is the toilet paper. It's being made more cheaply or something. Drives me crazy to have to dust my bathroom constantly.

• Like 7

I think there are people who can shower with soap and still have a strong and unpleasant body odor.  My husband has had a friend like that.  They once took them to the Y to swim, and after swimming and observed shower with soap, he smelled stronger than ever.  I'm grateful this product exists for people who need it.  

• Like 8

Some medications, diseases, and metabolic disorders cause stench. People with liver disease have a distinct smell. Kidney disease is another stinky disorder—it has an ammonia smell that also smells a lot like uncontrolled diabetes to me. Parkinson’s smells like oily skin to me. 

If Lume works, like go for it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I hate the commercials, too. The ones I have seen that are the worst lately are the ones marketing the new men's products. 

It IS a very effective product. I use it myself. 

Agree with the others who mention the medical conditions. Lume is probably the only option for those issues--that actually works.

@MercyA Have you tried Scott? It seems like it would be the least linty. That is a pet peeve of mine too. Well, not tp specifically. Paper towels. Cleaning mirrors and windows. Viva is very linty. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KSera said:

I’ve never seen an ad for this product and I don’t think I want to google. (apparently my ad blockers must be working pretty well)

I only used to see them on FB and at some point, I clicked “I don’t want to see this ad anymore”. I never see it now. 

For full confession, I have considered buying it. I do see a benefit for physical classes. When you’re grappling with someone, it’s nice to be confident you’re not funking them out. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ginevra said:

I only used to see them on FB and at some point, I clicked “I don’t want to see this ad anymore”. I never see it now. 

For full confession, I have considered buying it. I do see a benefit for physical classes. When you’re grappling with someone, it’s nice to be confident you’re not funking them out. 

Apparently it works very well. It seems good for something I hadn’t thought of…that odor you have as you age. I think I would use something like that if it helped in that area. The ingredients are actually not a vat of toxic soup, either. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MercyA said:

Pet peeve: linty toilet paper. There is constantly lint all over my bathroom...my mom's bathroom...my aunt's bathroom...and we are convinced it is the toilet paper. It's being made more cheaply or something. Drives me crazy to have to dust my bathroom constantly.

Cottonelle used to be horribly linty. I loved the way it felt, but the lint made me switch to Charmin. That's been a few years ago, so I don't know if it's still as bad as it was or not.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MercyA said:

Lint and toilet paper sticking to my butt is why I switched to Charmin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Cottonelle used to be horribly linty. I loved the way it felt, but the lint made me switch to Charmin. That's been a few years ago, so I don't know if it's still as bad as it was or not.

Do you use the "soft" Charmin or the "strong"? I buy the soft and we suffer from tons of lint in our bathroom, too. It's just crazy to me that I need to go dust my bathroom between cleanings. If the "strong" isn't as linty than I'm willing to switch.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Do you use the "soft" Charmin or the "strong"? I buy the soft and we suffer from tons of lint in our bathroom, too. It's just crazy to me that I need to go dust my bathroom between cleanings. If the "strong" isn't as linty than I'm willing to switch.

We use Charmin strong and it doesn't seem any more linty than other brands.  Target has their up and up brand that is a generic Charmin, too.  I've used that but I'm not all that particular.  Ds1 is certain that Charmin Strong is the best tp ever.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I prefer the soft, but I buy the strong if that's what Costco has on sale. I haven't found either one of them to be very linty at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read a thing about toilet paper being made from native hard woods a long time ago.  More than 15 years ago. Honestly, it was even more effective than those cut the rings of your six packs to save the sea turtles.  We’ve been using recycled or bamboo toilet paper since then. Bonus is absolutely no lint. We currently use Who Gives a Crap.  Awesome business that uses profits to build toilets in areas that need them.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

I read a thing about toilet paper being made from native hard woods a long time ago.  More than 15 years ago. Honestly, it was even more effective than those cut the rings of your six packs to save the sea turtles.  We’ve been using recycled or bamboo toilet paper since then. Bonus is absolutely no lint. We currently use Who Gives a Crap.  Awesome business that uses profits to build toilets in areas that need them.  

I am not familiar with All toilet paper, but I am from a Georgia Pacific paper mill town and Angel Soft is made from pine. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Terabith said:

Most toilet paper (and any paper in the US) is made from Southern Yellow pine grown in the southern US and farmed in a 15-20 year cycle. As soon as the logging is done they plant more trees. My extended family on that side has worked in logging since it existed as an industry in the region. I know logging practices in the West are different, with clear cut situations not farmed situations, but I’m under the impression that such valuable lumber would never be used for something like paper. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Most toilet paper (and any paper in the US) is made from Southern Yellow pine grown in the southern US and farmed in a 15-20 year cycle. As soon as the logging is done they plant more trees. My extended family on that side has worked in logging since it existed as an industry in the region. I know logging practices in the West are different, with clear cut situations not farmed situations, but I’m under the impression that such valuable lumber would never be used for something like paper. 

Douglas fir is used in a lot of toilet paper blends because it has longer fibers for strength. There are absolutely trees here that end up in nearby paper goods factories, including a toilet paper factory.

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The fact is that farmed wood in the Southeast ISN’T from virgin forests. It sounds like it’s the same in Canada. The only virgin forests left in Florida, for example, are now protected, but the larger trees were clearcut more than a hundred years ago. Farmed wood anywhere will lack the biodiversity of virgin forests, but that should be obvious of any kind of farming. It doesn’t mean the wood isn’t more sustainable than say, corn. 

Southeast, yes farmed wood.

PNW—virgin forests are still being cut and replaced with farmed wood. We are losing biodiverse habitat…..for toilet paper and paper plates. Having hiked through places where you cross over from farmed wood into virgin forests—they are completely different environments.

Additionally, it is farmed wood that is heightening our wildfire risk here. Trees are planted much more densely and with close treetops and so much demand on soil moisture from dense plantings our fires are exponentially hotter and faster than they used to be. CalFire made $7million in the 2019-2020 year harvesting out of state forests on second harvest redwoods.

I am not opposed to managed timber farming entirely, but it is true that virgin forests here are being harvested as well as second harvest (enormous trees) and some of that lumber ends up in low value products.

• Sad 4

On 1/27/2024 at 8:43 PM, MercyA said:

I hate this too.

• Thanks 1

I think most of the commercials for Lume are kind of funny.   
It’s a product I can see a use for.  It doesn’t strike me as a whole lot different than talc and such, especially if you’re in a body that is a bit bigger or live in a humid environment.  Maybe drier northern climates can’t relate to the *wet* of a 100 degree day with 90% humidity that is a southern summer. Evaporation doesn’t work when the air is  already full of water.  Lume can be helpful when dealing with what is colloquially referred to as “swamp a$$”.  There is no soap antibacterial enough to carry you through that smelling like a daisy.  

This quote from To Kill a Mockingbird lives in my head all summer, I bet the ladies of Maycomb would have loved Lume.  

Ladies bathed before noon, after their three o'clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum.”

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 6

I wasn’t knocking the product at all! Just the advertisements ick me out. That’s all. I’m not arguing or debating whether it works or has a purpose. I think the ads are designed to be that way….that’s her marketing strategy…and it works. It’s attention getting. 

🫧🧼🫧🫧🫧

On 1/28/2024 at 8:01 AM, Ginevra said:

I agree. I would use a product like that for that purpose.

What changes to Lume deodorant advertisement would make people comfortable with ad?  Saying “between buttocks “ or “anus?”  Not sure how one could describe the product without specifically stating that it can be used anywhere including butt.  

3 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

The ones I am seeing say pitts, privates and feet.  

I had to look but I found some that say Butt crack, thigh folds and under boobs. 

One says "Armpits, lady bits, testicles and chesticles".  I guess Lady Bits is too much?  

I think "Below the Belt Cafe" is pretty funny. 

this one got called low-class and disgusting.  I think because it says from Pits to balls....of your feet.  I don't get it.  I guess we're just used to euphemistic ads, like Summer Eve commercials that just imply flowers and sweet smells but never say what you are cleaning or why.   I don't know, it feels like pearl-clutching to me.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

I had to look but I found some that say Butt crack, thigh folds and under boobs. 

One says "Armpits, lady bits, testicles and chesticles".  I guess Lady Bits is too much?  

I think "Below the Belt Cafe" is pretty funny. 

this one got called low-class and disgusting.  I think because it says from Pits to balls....of your feet.  I don't get it.  I guess we're just used to euphemistic ads, like Summer Eve commercials that just imply flowers and sweet smells but never say what you are cleaning or why.   I don't know, it feels like pearl-clutching to me.  

I hadn't seen that ads, so clicked the link. People really get offended by that? Really? I am pretty middle of the road on my offense meter. That didn't even ping up against it once. Just basic body stuff, simply stated. No overt sex, graphic images, grossness, shock or awe. 

• Like 3

On 1/29/2024 at 10:38 AM, Heartstrings said:

This quote from To Kill a Mockingbird lives in my head all summer, I bet the ladies of Maycomb would have loved Lume.  

Ladies bathed before noon, after their three o'clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum.”

I think of this quote every single summer, too. 🙂 

• Like 3

• Indigo Blue changed the title to Lume advertisements….UPDATE in first post
On 1/27/2024 at 2:59 PM, Katy said:

I HATE them too. If simple soap isn’t enough for everything except your underarms, you probably have a medical condition. And there’s zero chance the doctor who created it doesn’t know that. If I knew where she was from I’d complain to the medical board. It’s ridiculous. 

To be fair, I DO smell after a heavy workout in more places than my underarms. I actually bought some Lume to try for that very reason. However, I got the unscented and it smells so bad I won't use it, lol. 

I also switched to all cotton underwear, as it seems the real problem was that my microfiber undies that I loved were retaining body odor, then when I got hot and sweaty they released that odor. So it was the current sweaty smell PLUS every previous sweaty odor that had been baked into the synthetic fabric. Switching to cotton, which doesn't tend to retain odors, fixed the problem. I still need a shower after a workout, but don't worry that other people are smelling me through my clothing on the way out of the gym, car ride home, etc. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 10:38 AM, Heartstrings said:

I think most of the commercials for Lume are kind of funny.   
It’s a product I can see a use for.  It doesn’t strike me as a whole lot different than talc and such, especially if you’re in a body that is a bit bigger or live in a humid environment.  Maybe drier northern climates can’t relate to the *wet* of a 100 degree day with 90% humidity that is a southern summer. Evaporation doesn’t work when the air is  already full of water.  Lume can be helpful when dealing with what is colloquially referred to as “swamp a$$”.  There is no soap antibacterial enough to carry you through that smelling like a daisy.  

Swamp A$$ is real. 

If a person doesn't live where they need a shower and full change of clothing just from walking outside to get the mail, they may not realize how many body parts actually produce sweat, and how much sweat, and that yes, that sweat can have an odor. If I do a full workout in the heat, I'm going to be soaked. Like, girls wringing out their sports bras like they are a wet dishcloth soaked. Undies are even worse. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

To be fair, I DO smell after a heavy workout in more places than my underarms. I actually bought some Lume to try for that very reason. However, I got the unscented and it smells so bad I won't use it, lol. 

I also switched to all cotton underwear, as it seems the real problem was that my microfiber undies that I loved were retaining body odor, then when I got hot and sweaty they released that odor. So it was the current sweaty smell PLUS every previous sweaty odor that had been baked into the synthetic fabric. Switching to cotton, which doesn't tend to retain odors, fixed the problem. I still need a shower after a workout, but don't worry that other people are smelling me through my clothing on the way out of the gym, car ride home, etc. 

try bleaching the microfiber. Ime it won’t discolor, but will get rid of the funk. 

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Swamp A$$ is real. 

If a person doesn't live where they need a shower and full change of clothing just from walking outside to get the mail, they may not realize how many body parts actually produce sweat, and how much sweat, and that yes, that sweat can have an odor. If I do a full workout in the heat, I'm going to be soaked. Like, girls wringing out their sports bras like they are a wet dishcloth soaked. Undies are even worse. 

Not countering your point, just adding to it. 

Humidity and temp are a huge factor and honestly, just the bacteria in the air in different regions too! Add in personal chemistry and it can be a huge issue or none at all.  I have several friends who only have one or two bras, rewear for a week (sometimes even sleeping in them) between washings. I don't , but could do that if I wanted living here in the PNW on a casual day, but when I lived in Texas....no way! I don't really have an overwhelming stinky smell from normal fresh sweat, but over time on clothes it is just gross knowing the nasties are there. I don't use Lume, but that is one of the advertising points. It is supposed to help kill some of those off, so there is less odor being produced over time. 

I am on steroids for my asthma right now, and even tho I showered, I smell myself. Sooo odd, how chemicals and physical stress can do that. I took dd to the dentist today and felt like I had to explain why I reeked LOL To me it smells like I peed myself. EWWW

• Like 3

LOL Thanks for the update!

I like the tangerine, too! I have that in the cream, and another one in the stick--can't remember. But it doesn't stink either. The only one that I thought ever smelled was the unscented cream. But even that is tolerable and fades as it absorbs.

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Swamp A$$ is real. 

It’s either shower and change clothes several times a day or just be damp all day.  We all know that smells come from damp, hot places even if those damp hot places are on your body.  I’m at home so I can shower but if I had to work out of the home I’d need some extra help.  

I bought a pair of shorts last year that I quickly learned couldn’t be worn on really hot days because they change colors when wet, that was fun.  

• Haha 2