Menu

WORST places for First Dates list ROFL

pinball

So I guess this is going “around”

List is copied from a news station 

my comments in parentheses. I think kids these days are just too darn picky!

Check out the full list below:

1. Cheesecake Factory (this is an awesome first date! The first 30 minutes you can just read the menu to each other!)
  2. Applebee’s (I’m sorry, but “you belong at Applebee’s”)
  3. Chili’s (come now. Baby. Back. Ribs.)
  4. Chipotle (It’s real food! Made fresh every day)
  5. Olive Garden (now this must be conspiracy theory stuff. No one in their right mind would turn down bottomless soup, salad, AND BREADSTICKS)
  6. The Movies (only communists would not want to go to the movies on the first date. It’s unAmerican)
  7. Your House (best WAY to REALLY get to know someone)
  8. Any Fast Food Chain (Dollar menu, at any FF chain…you know this person is smart with money)
  9. Buffalo Wild Wings (they have 33 different sauces and rubs…it’s perfect for the nights you can’t decide between Sweet BBQ and Honey BBQ)
  10. Wingstop (poor man’s BWW, see above)
  11. Red Lobster (cheddar bay biscuits, babeeee)
  12. A Buffet (also very unAmerican to not want to go here)
  13. IHOP (it’s no Denny’s but it’s nothing to sneeze at)
  14. Denny’s ( if things go well, you have a Grand Slam before you hit a homerun)
  15. The gym (if it’s for goat yoga, it’s the best first date ever)
  16. Church (depends on if the church is having a service or not. Don’t waste my time just to drive by and point it out, especially if it’s in a strip mall)
  17. Starbucks (you can get a complete meal at Starbucks. This is just unimaginative)
  18. Coffee dates (see above)
  19. Ice cream dates (you don’t have a soul if you don’t want an ice cream date)
  20. Family functions ( best first date is a family wedding, bar none. Bonus points if it’s a parent getting married. Triple bonus points if it’s the date’s parents marrying each other)
  21. Movie night (If you have HBO streaming, we aren’t breaking up til i watch every season of the Wire)
  22. Somewhere that requires a long drive (how else would we get to Cheesecake Factory?)
  23. Bowling (there is no reason NOT to bowl. You don’t even have to keep score anymore!)
  24. Nightclubs (how else will I see how my date dances?)
  25. Hookah Bar (as long as I can pick the flavor)
  26. A bar for just drinks (who goes to a bar for the food?)
  27. Waffle House (turning down a trip to Waffle House is like breaking a mirror…7 years of bad luck)
  28. Sports events (if it is one of the Big Six professional sports, there’s not a better way to pass the time)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

I came to say sports event. If both parties are into the sport it's great but if one or both aren't then you have to deal with drunk people, and loud people. 

Although that list is weird because it lists a bunch of food places which should be places to bring a date.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I came to say sports event. If both parties are into the sport it's great but if one or both aren't then you have to deal with drunk people, and loud people. 

Ds1 and his girlfriend of 11 years had their first date at a soccer game.  It was wet and cold.  She's always been really into soccer and now he is too.  🙂  

• Like 1

Where is one supposed to go on a first date?

This makes me realize I don't know where my first date with dh was. I guess his house. We would hangout after he got off work and watch new episodes of The Office and other shows he set to record while he was working. First public date was at a sandwich shop called Pure Bred

• Like 2

Just now, Brittany1116 said:

I think the idea is that the guy is to go all out on date 1. The most upscale place in town or the next town over. Which is ridic.

I've never understood this idea. I understand it is an expectation for many but man I just wanted low key, low pressure first dates that had good conversation so I could figure out if I was interested enough for a 2nd

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I've never understood this idea. I understand it is an expectation for many but man I just wanted low key, low pressure first dates that had good conversation so I could figure out if I was interested enough for a 2nd

What makes a fancy restaurant different from a cheaper one? I think either can be low key and low pressure. It's not like you owe a guy anything just because he takes you to a nice place. (And if the guy pressures you by saying he took you to an expensive place so you owe him something, that guy would say the same thing after he took you to Applebee's, because he's a jerk.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pinball said:

So I guess this is going “around”

List is copied from a news station 

my comments in parentheses. I think kids these days are just too darn picky!

Check out the full list below:

1. Cheesecake Factory (this is an awesome first date! The first 30 minutes you can just read the menu to each other!)
  2. Applebee’s (I’m sorry, but “you belong at Applebee’s”)
  3. Chili’s (come now. Baby. Back. Ribs.)
  4. Chipotle (It’s real food! Made fresh every day)
  5. Olive Garden (now this must be conspiracy theory stuff. No one in their right mind would turn down bottomless soup, salad, AND BREADSTICKS)
  6. The Movies (only communists would not want to go to the movies on the first date. It’s unAmerican)
  7. Your House (best WAY to REALLY get to know someone)
  8. Any Fast Food Chain (Dollar menu, at any FF chain…you know this person is smart with money)
  9. Buffalo Wild Wings (they have 33 different sauces and rubs…it’s perfect for the nights you can’t decide between Sweet BBQ and Honey BBQ)
  10. Wingstop (poor man’s BWW, see above)
  11. Red Lobster (cheddar bay biscuits, babeeee)
  12. A Buffet (also very unAmerican to not want to go here)
  13. IHOP (it’s no Denny’s but it’s nothing to sneeze at)
  14. Denny’s ( if things go well, you have a Grand Slam before you hit a homerun)
  15. The gym (if it’s for goat yoga, it’s the best first date ever)
  16. Church (depends on if the church is having a service or not. Don’t waste my time just to drive by and point it out, especially if it’s in a strip mall)
  17. Starbucks (you can get a complete meal at Starbucks. This is just unimaginative)
  18. Coffee dates (see above)
  19. Ice cream dates (you don’t have a soul if you don’t want an ice cream date)
  20. Family functions ( best first date is a family wedding, bar none. Bonus points if it’s a parent getting married. Triple bonus points if it’s the date’s parents marrying each other)
  21. Movie night (If you have HBO streaming, we aren’t breaking up til i watch every season of the Wire)
  22. Somewhere that requires a long drive (how else would we get to Cheesecake Factory?)
  23. Bowling (there is no reason NOT to bowl. You don’t even have to keep score anymore!)
  24. Nightclubs (how else will I see how my date dances?)
  25. Hookah Bar (as long as I can pick the flavor)
  26. A bar for just drinks (who goes to a bar for the food?)
  27. Waffle House (turning down a trip to Waffle House is like breaking a mirror…7 years of bad luck)
  28. Sports events (if it is one of the Big Six professional sports, there’s not a better way to pass the time)

I laughed so hard reading your comments about all of these dates!!! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dh and I met at a work bowling league and often went to dinner at Olive Garden, Chili's or California Pizza Kitchen after bowling.  Our first official date was at a nicer restaurant though.    

Most of my first dates (I've had a few) were probably dinner at Olive Garden/Applebee's level places and a movie.

What are the Big 7 sports?  I could only come up with five.   Are Lacrosse and/or Cricket BIG enough?  I guess maybe Rugby?  Polo?  Gymnastics?  

1. Baseball
2. Basketball
3. Football (American)
4. Soccer/Football (not American)
5. Hockey

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We think alike Terabith.

My list was:

urgent care 

political rally

Costco (for the free samples and $1.50 hotdog and soda)—I don’t hate Costco, but I could never look at my date the same way if he wanted to get the frozen chicken bake

concert (again, love them, but I’d be there for the music, not for my date)

Honestly, I can think of far worse dates than Costco!  

• Like 1

Our first date was kind of strange because I didn't know it was a date - DH kind of tricked me (long story).  I wasn't interested in him at all at the time.  He  took me to lunch at a pizza place. It was a real restaurant, but just a pizza place.  He bought way too much on purpose and sent me back to my dorm room with all the  leftovers (we were in college).  I was very interested in him after that - just needed a little time to get to know him.  🙂 

• Haha 2

I saw this, didn't read much about it - the women who put together the list seemed .  . . to expect to be pampered on a first date . .and they wonder why they can't get a second date, or even a first date with a high value guy . . . 

like the woman who was meeting a guy FOR DRINKS - and proceeded to order 4 dozen oysters on the half shell, and everything that goes with them . . and she blasted him for disappearing . . . (he paid for his drinks on the way out, and let her settle her own food bill).

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

What makes a fancy restaurant different from a cheaper one? I think either can be low key and low pressure. It's not like you owe a guy anything just because he takes you to a nice place. (And if the guy pressures you by saying he took you to an expensive place so you owe him something, that guy would say the same thing after he took you to Applebee's, because he's a jerk.)

Oh, it has nothing to do with feeling pressured by the guy. It is that going to a fancy restaurant isn't the laid back experience/atmosphere I'd want for a first date. Especially when I dated, which was when I was in college. I hated the idea that a guy would feel expected to dish out a bunch of money on a first date at an expensive restaurant. And then both of us being dressed up in clothing that certainly isn't how I'd normally dress, so neither of us are being our everyday selves. It just wasn't the type of thing I liked.

Now after a few dates with clear attraction and interest, I certainly enjoyed being wined and dined at a fancier place. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I'd be stressed out at a high end restaurant. I would sit there and stress out about what to order, trying to save the guy some money and not order too extravagantly which means I might end up with something I didn't really want. Then I feel like I want to split it with him so I could just feel free to order what I want, but then that might send the wrong message like I wasn't interested...

I'm that girl who much rather have the first date at a fast food joint, maybe a diner if you want to splurge. DH took me to the house he was house-sitting for after brunch at a diner. Some other guy to me to a higher end Italian restaurant and I chose DH, so... 

Better to go to the Michelin star restaurant after you are married. Then you can chow down, share your real thoughts about the food, and really enjoy the experience. 

• Like 4

I heard part of the list on the radio the other day, too. It's ridiculous. I'd happily go to most of those places and enjoy myself. I do agree with family functions, hookah bars, and the gym. I would say that I agree with sporting events, but DH and I went to a high school basketball game for our first date (pizza at the local place first) and we've been together 33 years, so... 🙂

Honestly, throughout high school and college, I would have considered plenty of those restaurants "fancy." DH skipped lunch in high school so he could save his lunch money and take me out for fast food on the weekend. I didn't find out about it until years later. That's love. ❤️

• Like 8

Years and years ago, my roommate went out with a guy and dropped him after that first date because he had the audacity to bring her flowers from the grocery store and take her to a popular restaurant.  It wasn't up to her standards.

The two of us went to a bar a few weeks later and she pointed him out to me as an example of who not to date.  Well.  She left, one thing led to another and this guy and I made plans to go out.  Same guy.  He took me to a new animated film at an old theater, a walk on the beach (no flowers, 😆) and well.....many years later we're still married.  Her loss, my gain!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Oh, it has nothing to do with feeling pressured by the guy. It is that going to a fancy restaurant isn't the laid back experience/atmosphere I'd want for a first date. Especially when I dated, which was when I was in college. I hated the idea that a guy would feel expected to dish out a bunch of money on a first date at an expensive restaurant. And then both of us being dressed up in clothing that certainly isn't how I'd normally dress, so neither of us are being our everyday selves. It just wasn't the type of thing I liked.

Now after a few dates with clear attraction and interest, I certainly enjoyed being wined and dined at a fancier place. 

2 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I'd be stressed out at a high end restaurant. I would sit there and stress out about what to order, trying to save the guy some money and not order too extravagantly which means I might end up with something I didn't really want. Then I feel like I want to split it with him so I could just feel free to order what I want, but then that might send the wrong message like I wasn't interested...

I'm that girl who much rather have the first date at a fast food joint, maybe a diner if you want to splurge. DH took me to the house he was house-sitting for after brunch at a diner. Some other guy to me to a higher end Italian restaurant and I chose DH, so... 

Better to go to the Michelin star restaurant after you are married. Then you can chow down, share your real thoughts about the food, and really enjoy the experience. 

That's so interesting!  My brother and I grew up dressing up all the time and going to high end restaurants with our parents, so I guess it was always just normal for us, and that's why I didn't think about it being uncomfortable for others -- although that was pretty stupid of me because I have been to some places that were really uncomfortable for me because they were very different from what I was accustomed to, so I should have thought of it. The guys I dated were mostly pretty similar to me in terms of life experiences, and although we did go to casual places, too, most dates started with very nice dinners and then we would do other things after that.

But I never would have expected a guy to "splurge" on me, especially on a first date, because splurging means that they would be doing something they couldn't easily afford to do. I think it's pretty terrible when I hear about women demanding things like that. Like, what makes these women so special that someone who is basically a stranger to them should spend way more than he can afford on a date?! I never felt like my dates were splurging, because I knew they could afford it (and if they weren't taking me to that place, they'd be taking some other woman.) When I dated guys who didn't make a lot of money, I never asked to go to expensive places because that would have been mean, and the whole idea of dating was to get to know the guys and not about where they took me to dinner. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Years and years ago, my roommate went out with a guy and dropped him after that first date because he had the audacity to bring her flowers from the grocery store and take her to a popular restaurant.  It wasn't up to her standards.

The two of us went to a bar a few weeks later and she pointed him out to me as an example of who not to date.  Well.  She left, one thing led to another and this guy and I made plans to go out.  Same guy.  He took me to a new animated film at an old theater, a walk on the beach (no flowers, 😆) and well.....many years later we're still married.  Her loss, my gain!

That is such a great story!!! 

It sounds like your dh was particularly lucky, because whoever eventually married your roommate was in for a very demanding and high maintenance wife! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I'd be stressed out at a high end restaurant. I would sit there and stress out about what to order, trying to save the guy some money and not order too extravagantly which means I might end up with something I didn't really want.

I was always worried about the expense, too.  Once a guy took me out to a fancy restaurant (not sure if it was our first date) and I ordered the cheapest thing I could find - a hamburger- and the waiter laughed at me.  I was so embarrassed.  But the guy was working his way through college, living at home, and definitely didn't have money so I didn't want my meal to cost too much.  IIRC, the restaurant wasn't planned - we went to a concert and there weren't many places to eat nearby.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I was always worried about the expense, too.  Once a guy took me out to a fancy restaurant (not sure if it was our first date) and I ordered the cheapest thing I could find - a hamburger- and the waiter laughed at me.  I was so embarrassed.  But the guy was working his way through college, living at home, and definitely didn't have money so I didn't want my meal to cost too much.  IIRC, the restaurant wasn't planned - we went to a concert and there weren't many places to eat nearby.  

I can see how that would have been very awkward, especially since the guy hadn't even planned on that restaurant in advance! 

I will say, though, that if a waiter ever laughed at me for what I'd ordered, I would have called him out on it on the spot, and if he didn't apologize, I would have made a stink about it to the owner or manager (but I'm very assertive that way.) If something is on the menu, people are going to order it if they want it. The price isn't even a consideration. If I want a burger, I want a burger. Suck it up and deal with it, obnoxious waiter!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

That's so interesting!  My brother and I grew up dressing up all the time and going to high end restaurants with our parents, so I guess it was always just normal for us, and that's why I didn't think about it being uncomfortable for others -- although that was pretty stupid of me because I have been to some places that were really uncomfortable for me because they were very different from what I was accustomed to, so I should have thought of it. The guys I dated were mostly pretty similar to me in terms of life experiences, and although we did go to casual places, too, most dates started with very nice dinners and then we would do other things after that.

But I never would have expected a guy to "splurge" on me, especially on a first date, because splurging means that they would be doing something they couldn't easily afford to do. I think it's pretty terrible when I hear about women demanding things like that. Like, what makes these women so special that someone who is basically a stranger to them should spend way more than he can afford on a date?! I never felt like my dates were splurging, because I knew they could afford it (and if they weren't taking me to that place, they'd be taking some other woman.) When I dated guys who didn't make a lot of money, I never asked to go to expensive places because that would have been mean, and the whole idea of dating was to get to know the guys and not about where they took me to dinner. 

I went to fancy dinners with my parents too. The problem for me was I made a decent amount of money in my twenties, so that time really felt like I could afford this meal and he was stretching (after the get to know you talk). At the same time we were on a date and it seems like men want to show off how they can take care of you (to you and the restaurant) and I don't want to rain on their parade. The guys who usually "splurged" on me, usually couldn't easily afford to. DH didn't splurge on me much until he basically figured I was "the one". All his major splurges on me happened after he decided he wanted to propose, someone should tell these women that.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I can see how that would have been very awkward, especially since the guy hadn't even planned on that restaurant in advance! 

I will say, though, that if a waiter ever laughed at me for what I'd ordered, I would have called him out on it on the spot, and if he didn't apologize, I would have made a stink about it to the owner or manager (but I'm very assertive that way.) If something is on the menu, people are going to order it if they want it. The price isn't even a consideration. If I want a burger, I want a burger. Suck it up and deal with it, obnoxious waiter!

Maybe I would now, but I was only 16 at the time and with a date.  I was just so embarrassed and flustered.  

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

My worst first date was a guy who asked me out to dinner then drove through the McDonald's drive through, and took me to an insurance sales pitch seminar.

According to his friends, he was surprised when I chose not to go out with him again.

Adding insult to injury, you didn't even buy the insurance. 😉 

• Haha 3

Hmm, this inspires me to think back to the days when I dated because I felt like you had to.  My first date was in 1983 when most guys insisted on paying.  Both he and I were broke students.  He took me to some action movie, James Bond or something - violent and loud.  Afterwards he took me to Perkins for dessert but discouraged me from ordering anything too expensive.  😛  I think I got a hot chocolate.  The second and last date, the movie was a horror-romance flick.  The Dead Zone maybe?  Then back to Perkins for dessert.  Both times the conversation was all about how lousy his mother was for not saving more $$ for his education, so that was it for me.  😛

The next guy I dated was happy to let me pay for everything.  I don't really remember much else about him, LOL.

Some years later a friend introduced me to this "really nice guy."  I call him Dog Boy, because the most important thing in his life was his very stinky competitive hunting dog.  Our first date was a hunt test.  We rode horses following the dogs.  He was furious because his dog couldn't tell a bird from a rock, despite all the expensive training he'd had.  Worse, I made some sort of joke to try to lighten the atmosphere, which made him madder.  😛  Also, the dog was offended that I sat in the front passenger seat of the car, which was obviously the dog's seat.  He was in my face with his stinky breath the whole time.  Anyone wonder why that guy was single?  😛

My favorite first date was to an Asian arts festival.  However, that guy ended up being the worst guy I ever dated.  😕

• Haha 3

FTR I see nothing wrong with Cheesecake Factory, other than it's pretty expensive IMO.  I wouldn't expect young folks to spend that kind of money on each other.

I'm pretty sure I've had first dates over coffee or a simple lunch.  It's nice.

I think with the guy I dated longest, our first "date" was either at my house or his house.  We lived a 6 hour drive apart, so seeing each other meant being a houseguest.  And again, we were both broke.  😛

• Like 1

Add me to the many young people who would be very awkward in an expensive restaurant.

As a kid, I was only in such a restaurant once, for my 12th birthday.  (Not even sure it was that fancy, but it was for my family.)  I was obviously a kid, so nobody expected sophisticated manners, I assume.  My folks taught me the basics, but I still had so much to learn.

About age 21, my dorm neighbor's rich grandparents invited me to go with them to dinner.  I was terrified.  I just remembered having heard "watch what the hosts do and follow them."  I had no idea what to order - I couldn't have even afforded a side salad at those prices.  Working class kids are taught not to be greedy.  But how, when a modest order is more than your folks' weekly food budget?  And what even are these foods?  What if I don't like it?  What if I can't finish it?  When do I stop eating?  Working class kids are taught not to ever waste food ....

I discovered Barnes & Noble shortly after that, and bought a big fat Miss Manners book.  😛  Hoping that I wouldn't be as much of an idiot if there was ever a next time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rebcoola said:

The list is so stupid and the lady who inspired it by refusing to get out and go into the cheesecake factory is ridiculous. Granted my last 1st date was when I was 19 and it was a movie that I had free tickets to and than Dennys after.

I thought that was a skit. Maybe it was real . Either way so so stupid 

10 hours ago, bolt. said:

To me, that's a list of *all* the dates. Like, what else is there?

In addition to Pinball's list

Taco Bell 🤣

Rock climbing 

Bike ride

Canoe trip

See a play

Or where most of my dating as a youngin happened-  party at a friend's house

Mini-golf

Bar with live music and dancing

Or park with live music

Square dancing

Skiing (local and cheap- not if you live where travel is needed)

But don't go canoeing after you are married 

Actually, DH and I canoe quite a bit and chose some ridiculous places when we were young. We must have really really loved each other because we both lived. 😂

Now we are practiced and that makes for less interesting stories. We are old enough we are happy to just leep repeating the old stories. 😂

• Haha 4

I guess I'm low class/a cheap date, because I'd be pretty happy if someone took me to Cheesecake Factory or Red Lobster. Or any of those restaurants, really.  

6 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I'm not sure if I've been on a bad first date of my own but I've been on plenty of my best friends' first dates that she didn't even know we're dates but the guy was under the impression they were. Those were always so awkward 

I've been on several first dates where I didn't realize it until halfway through the date. I'm very relieved to know this has happened to someone else!

• Like 2