Menu

Snacks for school

DawnM

Our schools have snack time in elem. school.   A is a very picky eater.   So far I have given him pretzles.

He does get breakfast and lunch at school (free) so the snack does not need to be substatial.

The criteria is:   must be (relatively) healthy, must not be messy and nothing that requires a spoon.

The only things I can come up with are:   cheese, nuts (and yes, they are allowed), cut up fruit, pretzles, or a half sandwich (although they frown on that and make a point to say this is NOT a second lunch or a mini-lunch).   

He is very messy with crackers so I try to avoid that.   He is 5 years old so anything with dips should be avoided, he is messy.

He does not like vegetables and won't eat them unless forced so no carrot sticks, etc.....He does not like hummus at all, so I know that is often suggested but he hates it.

Any other suggestions?

am at a loss.   

I keep/offer snacks in my classes (K-2nd) -- I rotate between: 

pretzels
chex cereals (dry)
fruit gummies (the Mott's or Welch's ones)

When I don't have dairy allergies/gluten allergies, also 
animal crackers
goldfish

I see kids bring (they bring lunch, and can take something from their lunch bag for snack if they don't like what I have):
cheese sticks (often) (the string cheese ones)
squeeze yogurts or applesauces 
granola bars/similar
those breakfast bar cookie things (like Belvita, but whichever brand) (or like an old Fig Newton, but whatever the current iteration is of those)
some bring those drinkable yogurt drinks
fruit -- peeled oranges, berries, or a fruit cup are popular

From a teacher standpoint - as long as it's not the crumb-iest thing in the room, not candy, and not just sugar -- you're probably okay

• Like 3

Does your son need a snack? We started sending a snack for "just in case" and my kids would not eat it if not hungry but it was there if so. (and we often sent the dry cereal/fruit bars in a package) My daughter is dairy sensitive so all the cheese stuff was out. Nuts were not allowed. Oh also bananas. My son would take an apple sometimes.  But often they were not really hungry at snack time and would just drink their water.

• Like 1

I keep cheese sticks and packaged jerky sticks, nuts, and sandwich cracker packs, and V8 juices in my room fridge, just in case (mostly for me and for M when they're helping me out, since they need to eat frequently and often forget to do so, but it's also been helpful when a child forgets their lunch or when they come in after school when they found the school lunch to be mostly inedible). Between those, there's something everyone can eat, and while they're not the BEST nutritionally, they're not the candy bars, sodas and chips in the vending machines, either. If I had a kid with airborne/contact allergies, I'd alter what I have available, but so far, that hasn't been an issue. 

• Like 2

Do they still have those Gogurt things?  Also fruit leathers (I think that is what they are called--or were called, my snack knowledge is about 20 years out of date).

As an aside, I think it's ridiculous to have a snack time for elementary aged kids.  Kids that age are big enough to be able to eat enough at meals to sustain them.  Snacks just train them not to.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, EKS said:

As an aside, I think it's ridiculous to have a snack time for elementary aged kids.  Kids that age are big enough to be able to eat enough at meals to sustain them.  Snacks just train them not to.

I’m the kind of parent that normally grouses about this stuff (don’t get me started on three course meals for little kid intramural soccer five minutes from home!), but they don’t give them enough time to eat at lunch in most schools, especially if you are sending whole foods that require chewing vs. drinking or slurping. 

Growing up, we had a snack time at our morning recess. The bigger portion of our school day took place before lunch, and it was usually a LONG time after breakfast.

I have a kid who can’t chew fast or hard and is perpetually underweight. Frequent meals are the only way he stays on top of eating.

• Like 7

Is he OK with pretzels most of the time?  Is he asking for variety, or are you wanting to provide variety?  If it isn't really needed for nutritional value, I wouldn't worry too much about sending the same thing unless he asks for something different.

Some things I would consider whole strawberries with the stem removed, grapes, cheerios, popcorn, cheese quesidilla wedges, raisins.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, EKS said:

Do they still have those Gogurt things?  Also fruit leathers (I think that is what they are called--or were called, my snack knowledge is about 20 years out of date).

To get all the kids through the cafeteria, they have a wide range of times eaten. When you are eating lunch at 10:30, that snack in the afternoon can help get you through.  When you have to wait until nearly 1p to eat lunch, a snack in the morning helps.

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

To get all the kids through the cafeteria, they have a wide range of times eaten. When you are eating lunch at 10:30, that snack in the afternoon can help get you through.  When you have to wait until nearly 1p to eat lunch, a snack in the morning helps.

This! Especially in a growth spurt! 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

This! Especially in a growth spurt! 

And high metabolism kids. One of mine are like a horse from birth and was always in a lower percentage of weight than his height. He was perpetually hungry but didn’t have enough time to eat when he tried school. At home, he would eat full meals (big ones) and snacks—although his dinners were more lean as his activity level wound down for the evening. The pediatrician he had as a toddler once said she wasn’t worried about his weight but did want to know what his eating habits were since he was on the thin side for his height. By the time I got partway through the list, her eyes were huge, and she said, “Nevermind, he eats more than enough.” 

• Like 3

Our grandson N is not big into veggies other than carrot sticks and sweet potato. But, I found that for him, texture is the issue, and he likes dried veggies like green beans which turn out be a crunch stick when dehydrated. I wonder if you could find something like that to try.

Also, Dollar General at one time was keeping small bags of freeze dried fruit bites. The strawberries and apple, mango the rare times we could get it, were very satisfying. They were $1 a bag. Maybe you can check your local DG for those.

They probably won't let you send anything with chocolate on it because it looks like a dessert. That is a shame because frankly, dark chocolate peanut clusters are a wonderful pick me up mid-morning. The caffeine and magnesium seems to provide some mental zing.

• Like 2

Lots of good ideas.  Thanks guys.   He is fine with pretzels but I know he typically will ask for a change when he gets bored, which I am anticipating soon.

I don't think he can open a gogurt by himself and that was something they wanted the kids to do by themselves, but maybe.

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Has he tried chickpea puffs or veggie straws? We usually sent veggies, but seaweed, crackers, and either apples or clementines were also hits.

I don't even like the chickpea puffs.  I gave them to a friend when I bought them.   We do sometimes have veggie straws.   He won't eat veggies, seaweed, or anything like that.   He eats fruit.

Snacks that are reasonably popular at preschool:  Goldfish are the king of snacks. Pretzels are number 2.  Carbs are king. 

Does he actually eat the school breakfast and lunch?  Our schools provide them but they are honestly pretty inedible.  Not just picky kids; I have worked in the schools and they’re genuinely disgusting and even some pretty hungry kids won’t touch them.  The breakfasts are also terribly unhealthy.  Some kind of sweetened pastry every day, and yet also very stale.  

Fruits of all sorts:  apples, bananas, orange slices or clementines, berries, cut up mango or pineapple, grapes, watermelon are all things I’ve seen this week.   Also dried fruit and those fig bars. 

I know he doesn’t like vegetables but for other people:  cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers, raw broccoli or cauliflower, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes. I take a salad of mixed spinach and kale as part of my lunch every day, and every day I wind up giving out about a fourth of it to kids who beg for (and often eat) a couple of leaves.  Even kids who purportedly won’t touch a vegetable at home. Peer pressure is powerful. 

Protein snacks:  cheese sticks or slices (please don’t send shredded), nuts, hard boiled eggs, thermos of beans or lentils, carton of chocolate milk, yogurt in Tupperware. The hippie parents put flax and chia seeds on the yogurt.  Half sandwiches (one kid had a whole turkey and cheese sandwich and ate it all today , along with fruit and crackers.  Hungry three year old.  And yes, this was a snack.) Quesadillas. One mom sends tofu cubes on the regular.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Thanks 1

WTH is the difference between a healthy snack and a mini lunch?

Will he eat cheese cubes, fruit, squeeze yogurt, or a smoothie? Can you make up a trail mix he likes? Maybe some Cheerios, dried bananas, nuts, and a few m&ms? If he assembles the bags and has some say in what they contain, will he be more likely to eat it?

• Like 2

Does he want it to be different?

My kids both found the transition to Kindergarten exhausting and a little overwhelming, and found comfort in the sameness of their lunches.  I literally packed the same things over and over and over.  If pretzels work, I might just keep doing pretzels

One thing that was a big hit was a whole wheat waffle sandwich with sunbutter and bananas or honey or something else sweet.  I think my younger kid took that every day for years.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

Snacks that are reasonably popular at preschool:  Goldfish are the king of snacks. Pretzels are number 2.  Carbs are king. 

Does he actually eat the school breakfast and lunch?  Our schools provide them but they are honestly pretty inedible.  Not just picky kids; I have worked in the schools and they’re genuinely disgusting and even some pretty hungry kids won’t touch them.  The breakfasts are also terribly unhealthy.  Some kind of sweetened pastry every day, and yet also very stale.  

Fruits of all sorts:  apples, bananas, orange slices or clementines, berries, cut up mango or pineapple, grapes, watermelon are all things I’ve seen this week.   Also dried fruit and those fig bars. 

I know he doesn’t like vegetables but for other people:  cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers, raw broccoli or cauliflower, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes. I take a salad of mixed spinach and kale as part of my lunch every day, and every day I wind up giving out about a fourth of it to kids who beg for (and often eat) a couple of leaves.  Even kids who purportedly won’t touch a vegetable at home. Peer pressure is powerful. 

Protein snacks:  cheese sticks or slices (please don’t send shredded), nuts, hard boiled eggs, thermos of beans or lentils, carton of chocolate milk, yogurt in Tupperware. The hippie parents put flax and chia seeds on the yogurt.  Half sandwiches (one kid had a whole turkey and cheese sandwich and ate it all today , along with fruit and crackers.  Hungry three year old.  And yes, this was a snack.) Quesadillas. One mom sends tofu cubes on the regular.  

They aren't allowed to bring anything that requires a spoon or will make a mess.   

Some snacks my ds will eat are:

• dried fruit/fruit bars like Solely
  • cheese cubes/Babybel
  • berries
  • mandarin orange slices
  • popcorn
  • savory biscuits.  There's a shortbread style one made with olives that he likes.
  • small kabobs
  • pierogi
  • biscuit bites (like filled with pepperoni & cheese or taco meat & cheese)

I try to pack at least one of these in his "lunch" right now, because he also manages to eat said lunch by midmorning during his classes.  We stay away from anything that has nuts in it, but if I can find something premade at the dented section of the store, that may end up in there as well.  I've gotten flavored pretzels, snack mixes, and a few other things to try rotating through for him from there that aren't costing me too much.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DawnM said:

Lots of good ideas.  Thanks guys.   He is fine with pretzels but I know he typically will ask for a change when he gets bored, which I am anticipating soon.

I don't think he can open a gogurt by himself and that was something they wanted the kids to do by themselves, but maybe.

Could he do one of those silicone refillable yogurt pouches with the screw on top?

I don't consider a gogurt a "non messy" food for a kindergartener.  

• Like 2

At that age I got DD a small Tupperware that had two compartments that were sealed from each other (because the snack rule was ‘get just one thing out of your lunch bag’).

One side would be fruit or veggies and the other would be nuts or cheese chunks—diced sharp cheddar, havarti, or Swiss cheese.  The fresh stuff could be baby carrots, dried apricots, raisins, dried cranberries, tangerine segments, or grapes.

Or one side would be a dollop of peanut butter and the other would be organic versions of Chex cereal to dip it up with.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

Could he do one of those silicone refillable yogurt pouches with the screw on top?

I don't consider a gogurt a "non messy" food for a kindergartener.  

I don't know.   He is a bit of a messy kid in general, so, prob not at this point.  But we could try it at home and see.

On 9/8/2023 at 7:53 AM, DawnM said:

The only things I can come up with are:   cheese, nuts (and yes, they are allowed), cut up fruit, pretzles, or a half sandwich (although they frown on that and make a point to say this is NOT a second lunch or a mini-lunch).   

So a kid could have cheese and crackers but not half a sandwich? That makes no sense. Send him cheese or ham with circular bits of bread, lol. 

If he likes the same thing for a while but then wants a change, don't send him mixed cut up fruit; send him apples for one rotation, grapes for another, and so on. 

Cheerios. 

• Like 1