Menu

Pet peeve - chime in with yours

TechWife

It looks like it’s been a while since we’ve done this so I’m starting a new thread. Why? Because I’m encountering my pet peeves! Chime in with yours, sympathize with others here! 

My current top two: 

1) Questions on social media that have easy to find answers. Things like - is garbage collection delayed for the holiday? Or, what’s the phone number for the town hall? Or, does the HOA have a rule about (insert subject of the day). Do your own work, people. Don’t crowd source your life. 

2) Social media posts about sick kids. Respect the kid’s privacy, the internet is forever. This includes pictures of kids in vulnerable situations. If there are people who need an update, have a family member or friend contact them in person. If someone doesn’t know us well enough to know who to call to get urgent health updates, they don’t know us well enough to need urgent updates. 

• Like 8

I thought of a good one that I don’t think I’ve ever seen mentioned. 

The people who reach up to take something out of your hand while you are still looking at it. Know what I mean? Do you have people that do this? I used to automatically surrender whatever was in my hand. I’ve had to make a conscious effort not to let go until I’m done looking at it. 

• Like 2

Tis the season of basic homeschool questions dozens of times a day on Facebook that are pinned to the top of the group and pop up immediately if you google. 

Dumb stuff like assigned seating in adult training where some people  are using standing desks and the standing people arent put in the back. Real saga at DH's work

• Like 3

A bit of a personal one…

There is someone in my life (a pastor) who is highly educated but also arrogant, misogynistic, and bigoted (trust me on this) who is constantly making simple grammar mistakes. Saying things like “He’ll meet you where you are at”. And pronouncing the l in salmon. And others. Many others. 

Only because I want to burst the hot air out of his balloon do I want to stand up and exclaim, “The L! It’s silent! The L in salmon is SILENT!”

Further, he had once tried to “correct” me when I pronounced it correctly. I corrected him by by politely explaining that, no, the L is silent. He looked at me like he was sure I was wrong. And he kept repeating it with the same incorrect pronunciation. 

It’s remarkable how often that word comes up when this person speaks. Maybe it’s because the size of my pet peeve for his incorrect pronunciation of the word has grown to match the size of the state of Texas, and that makes it so much more noticeable. 

• Like 6

Also, people that buy things in eBay and don't look at the pictures or read the description. They read the title of the listing and click "buy", and then are surprised when the item isn't exactly what they expected. Then they get mad at me? Because they didn't read, couldn't be bothered.

You have to look at the pictures and read, bro. Especially if you are buying replacement parts for your appliances! 

• Like 2

Right now-  doctors offices with crappy procedures/policies.  Why both to call me to tell me I need another appointment yet the person calling can’t schedule it.  So another person has to call who is allowed to schedule it yet who then can’t as they need permission to schedule it.  How does this make sense to them?!?!?!?

The doctor who did my DH’s procedure who only talked to the man who was completely out of it from anesthesia.  Couldn’t be bother to talk to me as that is not her motive. Couldn’t be bother to call me let later or just walk out into the waiting room. DH couldn’t remember a dang thing not only from the anesthesia but from a documented memory issue.  It doesn’t need to be said how peeved I am on this.  And since we get to redo this one again in 6 months, I am asking for any other doctor in the practice to do it.  

• Sad 8

Mine is super petty but I’ve never mentioned it but I’m going to now even though I feel like a jerk:

People describing every community/school performance as “Broadway quality”. Now I love community theatre. I appreciate seeing regular folks getting their theatre on. My dd does high school theatre with some talented kids that amaze me. I’ll even go see little kids put on just about anything if you get me out in under 2 hours. But your 5th graders production of Frozen Jr is not “Broadway quality”. It just is not.  I have heard this over and over the last 5 years or so and even the super talented performing arts schools are not putting on Broadway quality productions. Those kids would be in NYC if they were at that level and the schools don’t even have the funding for working mics. They can be absolutely amazing and bring me to tears but it ain’t Broadway. 

See now that I wrote it out I do feel like a jerk. Sorry y’all…I’m sure your church production of Charlie Brown Christmas last year really really was Broadway quality. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 7
  • Haha 8

Front office staff at medical offices that act more like gatekeepers than part of a health team.

My eye doctor has stated charging a 3% swipe fee for card transactions. I'm now looking for a new eye doctor because that is b.s. to me. The charges are high and unpredictable, and now I have to pay extra to deal with a unpredictable bill? No.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Mine is super petty but I’ve never mentioned it but I’m going to now even though I feel like a jerk:

People describing every community/school performance as “Broadway quality”. Now I love community theatre. I appreciate seeing regular folks getting their theatre on. My dd does high school theatre with some talented kids that amaze me. I’ll even go see little kids put on just about anything if you get me out in under 2 hours. But your 5th graders production of Frozen Jr is not “Broadway quality”. It just is not.  I have heard this over and over the last 5 years or so and even the super talented performing arts schools are not putting on Broadway quality productions. Those kids would be in NYC if they were at that level and the schools don’t even have the funding for working mics. They can be absolutely amazing and bring me to tears but it ain’t Broadway. 

See now that I wrote it out I do feel like a jerk. Sorry y’all…I’m sure your church production of Charlie Brown Christmas last year really really was Broadway quality. 

It’s okay. I get it. I felt bad posting about the silent L in salmon, lol. It was a bit of a rant, too, I suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I don't like the  cannula on the inside my elbow joint. I can't bend my arm enough to braid my hair. Having hip length hair is not so good while in a hospital bed 

When they rotate it next time, ask them to put it in the back of your hand if they can get a vein there. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TechWife said:

When they rotate it next time, ask them to put it in the back of your hand if they can get a vein there. 

They needed a bigger vein for the thickish fluid for the PET scan. They tried the side of my wrist and it was so painful when flushing that I asked them to put it in the other place. 

I had one in back of hand when I had the biopsy, but that was a finer cannula. 

• Sad 7

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Aggressive, impatient honkers 

I'll never ever do it, but I like to imagine slamming my car into park and then rushing back to see if everything is ok? Do they require some kind of medical assistance? I was about to cross the intersection when I heard your honk of distress...

• Haha 15

Just now, Miss Tick said:

I'll never ever do it, but I like to imagine slamming my car into park and then rushing back to see if everything is ok? Do they require some kind of medical assistance? I was about to cross the intersection when I heard your honk of distress...

Have you seen A Man Called Otto? Otto is trying to help a new driver, who is having lots of trouble and is viciously being honked at. At a light, Otto finally jumps out and goes back there to give him a piece of his mind. The guy just sits there, stunned. Not for real life, though! 

• Like 2

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

Have you seen A Man Called Otto? Otto is trying to help a new driver, who is having lots of trouble and is viciously being honked at. At a light, Otto finally jumps out and goes back there to give him a piece of his mind. The guy just sits there, stunned. Not for real life, though! 

Added to my list!

1 hour ago, rebcoola said:

Tis the season of basic homeschool questions dozens of times a day on Facebook that are pinned to the top of the group and pop up immediately if you google. 

Dumb stuff like assigned seating in adult training where some people  are using standing desks and the standing people arent put in the back. Real saga at DH's work

I've been unfollowing a lot of groups because I just can't with all of the basic and very broad questions. "Someone teach me how to homeschool! What's a good program?" 

Oh lordy...

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

THIS:

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 2.23.58 PM.png

Today I had an appointment with a doctor saw less than a month ago. The assistant came in the room without her computer and asked me if I was taking any medications and then asked if they were prescribing any of them. I looked at her and told her the list they have is up to date and yes, their md prescribed some of them. It’s a lengthy list - I’m not going to repeat it for no reason! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

People who step in front of me to grab something off a shelf in a store—like, that one foot of space between me and the shelf. Drives me bonkers. 

On the flip side of this . . . my pet peeve is that I always seem to get stuck behind people who hover right in the spot I need to grab something.  Whether they are examining the stock for a hundred years or checking their phone, it’s so annoying. Pick your item and move along! I’m not saying YOU do that, but I’ve been known to wait and then finally reach around someone who has no inclination to move any time soon 😄

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Nope, not a jerk. We do everyone a disservice when we describe the arts this way. We loose our sense of wonder. Why go to a museum or the professional dance company when you can get “Broadway quality” at the high school. No, not everyone is talented enough to make it in the toughest environments. Appreciate those who can & encourage others (and yourself) to enjoy the art as a hobby). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Nope, not a jerk. We do everyone a disservice when we describe the arts this way. We loose our sense of wonder. Why go to a museum or the professional dance company when you can get “Broadway quality” at the high school. No, not everyone is talented enough to make it in the toughest environments. Appreciate those who can & encourage others (and yourself) to enjoy the art as a hobby). 

And it diminishes what the amateurs are doing and how worthy it is in its own right. The high school musical doesn’t have to be “Broadway quality” to be worth everyone’s time and $20. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

On the flip side of this . . . my pet peeve is that I always seem to get stuck behind people who hover right in the spot I need to grab something.  Whether they are examining the stock for a hundred years or checking their phone, it’s so annoying. Pick your item and move along! I’m not saying YOU do that, but I’ve been known to wait and then finally reach around someone who has no inclination to move any time soon 😄

Many times, it’s in the thrift store. So, not crowded, but it’s like they’ve just GOT to grab that 99 cent jar before I get it or something. It’s weird. I mean, yeah, I’m going to linger a bit looking. That’s what you do in a thrift store. But I’d never grab something right in front of someone, especially at a thrift store!

In the grocery store, I’m definitely moving along quickly but the most recent time was when I was standing in front of the bandage section trying to find what the doctor told me to get. Someone stepped literally right in front of me to get something. It was weird bc it was like their whole body, not even an arm stretch lol. 

And another one - People who complain about decisions others make after they were invited to participate in the decision making process and passed on the opportunity. Especially when it’s a volunteer group. As CJ Cregg said on The West Wing - “Decisions are made by people who show up.” 

BTW - does anyone have a pet peeve for overuse of The West Wing quotes? Guilty. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TechWife said:

And another one - People who complain about decisions others make after they were invited to participate in the decision making process and passed on the opportunity. Especially when it’s a volunteer group. As CJ Cregg said on The West Wing - “Decisions are made by people who show up.” 

BTW - does anyone have a pet peeve for overuse of The West Wing quotes? Guilty. 

This happens so much in churches.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

And it diminishes what the amateurs are doing and how worthy it is in its own right. The high school musical doesn’t have to be “Broadway quality” to be worth everyone’s time and $20. 

We had a group of talent pulled from the best of the best talent from each high school in our area. So, a pretty elite group of talent. They put on stellar performances. Stunning. My son was in the pit orchestra. The music was phenomenal. I went to see each one multiple times each year. It was worth every cent. I would never say it was Broadway quality, though. Gush all day about it, but it’s not Broadway. 

• Like 2

We have a new gardener who uses a lot of double binds which I despise. I can’t figure out if he’s trying to be humorous or an ***hole. I automatically place double binders in the latter category. I wish he would just say what he means. Then we could have an honest conversation and he might actually get to do more of what he wants. Argh.

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

I really despise the streaming commercials that make you choose which version you want to watch. Not.my.job.

Right? I don't want to watch any version but I have to so just pick one for me! I'm going to mute it and scroll on my phone while it's on anyway so it doesn't matter which one they show. 

Also - guilty of run on sentences and not sorry. 

• Like 1

Oh I am surely in the run on sentence club. 

My current peeve is people who assume I am going to do something they want me to do but never actually have an outright conversation to ask how I might feel and if I am in fact even willing to do that thing. Don’t assume a task becomes mine just because no one else wants to do it, making me the natural assumed choice. Blargh. 

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

People who don't answer simple questions in emails and texts. I've made my messages shorter and shorter and more and more direct but people apparently can't be bothered to read the full three sentences.

This!  When I was still working I would have to send three individual emails, spaced apart, to get three questions answered LOL.  I would have to get one question answered before I could ask the next.  

• Like 4

Listening intently with interest to a topic on which a person is speaking (TV, podcast, in person, etc.) and being a bit frustrated when I don’t get to hear the answer/explanation/full thought process because the speaker is interrupted, takes so long to really answer/address the topic, or goes off on a tangent and never actually answers what was asked/being discussed. Then the topic is changed suddenly because of an interruption. This repeats over and over. Gah. My brain gets so jittery when this happens. I love to stay on topic and discuss one thing fully before moving on. 

I’m NOT good at lots of things, but one thing I do well is to answer very concisely each and every question someone asks me. I guess that’s why my brain gets frustrated with jumbled bits and pieces of conversations. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marbel said:

Right this minute? Printable recipes that are not actually printer-friendly. 

Want to know more about an app that downloads only the ingredients and directions from a website straight to the app where they are stored alphabetically? If you just need to print them, that’s fine. 

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

People who don't answer simple questions in emails and texts. I've made my messages shorter and shorter and more and more direct but people apparently can't be bothered to read the full three sentences.

I have this problem with Ds’ school. Ugh!  

44 minutes ago, LuvToRead said:

The use of I's instead of my.  I see this more in type (blogs and social media posts mostly).  Example:  Today is John and I's anniversary.  I am also guilty of run on sentences!  

Yes.

College educated adults making fourth grade grammar errors. 

• Like 1

Mine is pretty niche, but since I play tennis frequently it affects me fairly often. People walking along that back of my tennis court while we are playing or about to serve. It's poor etiquette, they should definitely know better, and it forces the play on my court to stop and start over again. The worst is when a key point is being played and has to be replayed. So you have to control your emotions (annoyance), refocus your attention on the new play, and try not to yell nasty things at the person. Luckily, these are all super easy for me. NOT. 🤪

• Like 1