Menu

When you are celebrating, and you decide to have an adult beverage, what's your tipple?

Spy Car

I'm not much of a drinker, but tonight it seems right to make a double cocktail with Mexican brandy, Pedro Domecq Presidente, lots of ice in a cocktail shaker that once belonged to the actor Mike Connors (Mannix), some simple syrup, and a dollop of apricot jam (just for fun).

Tasty.

I may not even cook dinner tonight. Taco truck? maybe.

Bill

• Like 8
  • Haha 12

I tend towards fruit juice with some Cointreau and/or Amaretto, or tea(s) with the same.

I also like iced tea with peach schnapps. And cherry doctor pepper with Amaretto.

I have very sweet and fairly juvenile tastes, and I don't love the flavour of most alcohols.

• Like 3

Depends on the weather and the food. Lately I've been liking a blood orange martini or an Adonis (fino sherry, sweet vermouth, orange peel). In summer, or with Mexican food, a margarita.. When I'm feeling sentimental, I like an amaretto and soda with a twist of lime, which was the first cocktail I ever enjoyed. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fraidycat said:

If someone else is mixing, a good Mojito is my vibe. 

If I'm the bartender, then I'm having a gluten-free beer with clamato juice or a white rum with cranberry juice.

I have an adult beverage approximately once per year. Lol

There was a very nice lady at my favorite market who was handing out samples of Clamato (which I think is delicious) along with deep-discount coupons. So, what the heck. I bought a couple bottles and made Michelada cocktails.

Not bad at all.

Bill

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

I like the Elossa ginger lemon hard kombucha from Trader Joe’s mixed with a splash of lime juice and a can of lime selzer. I pour it in a big mason jar and call it my hooch.

Now I want this…

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

There was a very nice lady at my favorite market who was handing out samples of Clamato (which I think is delicious) along with deep-discount coupons. So, what the heck. I bought a couple bottles and made Michelada cocktails.

Not bad at all.

Bill

So, I had to google Michelada. It sounds similar to the Canadian Caesar ingredients, except Caesars are traditionally vodka based. I have been known to have a rum caesar (can't do vodka).

There are so many additions and variations on the classic caesar that some bars and restaurants make an artform out of mixing and serving caesars.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

I'm not much of a drinker, but tonight it seems right to make a double cocktail with Mexican brandy, Pedro Domecq Presidente, lots of ice in a cocktail shaker that once belonged to the actor Mike Connors (Mannix), some simple syrup, and a dollop of apricot jam (just for fun).

Tasty.

Bill

That drink sounds really delicious! My most recent go-to adult beverage is "hard" cider. Strongbow from England is good, and there are some really tasty Canadian brands, too. I got hooked on Okanagan harvest pear cider. So yummy and medium % alcohol 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

I don't drink alcohol, so I opened up a bottle of fermented pomegranate-ginger-lemonade that I made from my ginger bug. It had built up a lot of pressure even inside the fridge and almost exploded and made a huge mess, but what I managed to save tasted delicious and fizzy! This is the first time in 2 years that this ginger bug actually performed above my expectations and usually it is rather weak and anaemic. My DS says that it was more interesting to watch the explosion than a science experiment.

So, did you order tacos from the taco truck or did you get something else?

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Not bad at all.

Bill

Micheladas are delicious! I didn’t realize that’s what they’re called.

Did you get food from the taco truck? Speaking of, Rick Bayless paired up with an Ethiopian restaurant today only in Chicago. A pop up. The menu looks ridiculously good. I hope they’ll continue to offer some of that food at one or both of the restaurants.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I don't drink alcohol, so I opened up a bottle of fermented pomegranate-ginger-lemonade that I made from my ginger bug. It had built up a lot of pressure even inside the fridge and almost exploded and made a huge mess, but what I managed to save tasted delicious and fizzy! This is the first time in 2 years that this ginger bug actually performed above my expectations and usually it is rather weak and anaemic. My DS says that it was more interesting to watch the explosion than a science experiment.

So, did you order tacos from the taco truck or did you get something else?

Since I muttered something that was only semi-comprehensible when my son asked, "what's for dinner?," he made us both some ramen noodles. 

My toes are tingling.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, wintermom said:

That drink sounds really delicious! My most recent go-to adult beverage is "hard" cider. Strongbow from England is good, and there are some really tasty Canadian brands, too. I got hooked on Okanagan harvest pear cider. So yummy and medium % alcohol 

If you are ever in Bozeman, Montana, for hard cider this place, Lockhorn Cider House, is just top notch. The ambiance, outdoor fireplace, the dogs hanging out on the flowery patio... it’s a great laid back vibe. The people who run it will let you taste everything. I go out there once a year and always buy about six six-packs, give some to my (adult) kids and then relish a can for myself every now and then. Itks definitely the very special occasion drink for me. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g45095-d10379574-Reviews-Lockhorn_Cider_House-Bozeman_Montana.html

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BeachGal said:

If you are ever in Bozeman, Montana, for hard cider this place, Lockhorn Cider House, is just top notch. The ambiance, outdoor fireplace, the dogs hanging out on the flowery patio... it’s a great laid back vibe. The people who run it will let you taste everything. I go out there once a year and always buy about six six-packs, give some to my (adult) kids and then relish a can for myself every now and then. Itks definitely the very special occasion drink for me. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g45095-d10379574-Reviews-Lockhorn_Cider_House-Bozeman_Montana.html

I'm undermining my claims to being a light drinker, but I love a good cider.

Bill

• Like 2

If you’re out there on Father’s Day, they give dads free flights. Whatever you like. My husband got a free flight last year and was pretty darn happy about that. Plus, one of the dogs decided to hang out with us by the fireplace. Free booze, friendly dog, fireplace, stars up above. I mean, it doesn’t get much better than that.

• Like 3

The day I gave notice at my terrible job (think super inefficient outdated systems + significant change resistance + being hired to do something (systems upgrades) that no one will actually let you do), my husband made me a big coconut mojito.  

My last day is next week and I’m definitely celebrating with adult beverages.  Taking notes on this thread.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I am a hard cider girl myself. I usually favor pear ciders, but for the past couple of months I have been drinking a Mango Mimosa https://www.portlandcider.com/blog/portland-cider-kicks-off-2023-with-a-tropical-twist which pairs really nicely with gyro meat finely diced and served over French fries with tzatziki and stuff from the food carts.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

The day I gave notice at my terrible job (think super inefficient outdated systems + significant change resistance + being hired to do something (systems upgrades) that no one will actually let you do), my husband made me a big coconut mojito.  

My last day is next week and I’m definitely celebrating with adult beverages.  Taking notes on this thread.  

That sounds like a good move - you have great skills and I'm sure you will find a better role.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

That sounds like a good move - you have great skills and I'm sure you will find a better role.

I start a new job after a shortish vacation- I was recruited by my old colleague and so I have a decent understanding of the opportunities and challenges with the new position. When the other accounting manager had an emotional reaction to the location of the stamps being moved to be where the stamps were actually being used, that should have been my first clue.  I really tried but they got 1 year from me and I decided they wouldn’t get two.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fraidycat said:

gluten-free beer with clamato juice

Is this a cocktail or a liquid salad?  If the latter, it's healthy, right?

I missed out on celebrating last night (and missed this excellent thread) but hope to find someone who will raise a glass with me tonight. There's a tiny new Mexican place in my town I might "explore."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am basic, lazy, and have the palate of a 19yo.

Favorite drink is a Malibu Bay Breeze. Easier is a vodka cranberry. Fall is for caramel vodka with locally grown, hand pressed cider.

Easier still is to pour a bit from a screw top pink moscato.

I do enjoy trying different bottled non-beers at parties. On rare occasion, I’ll make a pitcher of fruity booze from a random online recipe.

I am the black sheep from 3 generations of bartenders, and spent my first ~10 years in my grandparents’ tavern. It is shameful.

• Haha 4

As a born and bred California native, my drink for decades was a hoppy IPA, but I can no longer drink beer (sob!) so in the past few years I've been forced to branch out and embrace the world of cocktails.

At home I'm lazy, so my go to is a gin or vodka tonic. One of DS's friends from India brought me a present of Indian spiced rum which totally rocked my drinking world, and now I'm a fan of rum with light ginger beer and most recently mojitos, which I discovered in Portugal. Portugal is home to a sour cherry liquor called Ginja, which they sell everywhere from little stands, best consumed out of an edible chocolate shot glass. A few small bottles made it home with us, natch, for a special occasion.

On winter afternoons I like Baileys and steamed almond milk (sometimes with added Kahlua), best enjoyed in front of the stove. For brunch I admit I love a strong espresso martini. A place here in town makes an incredible ancho pepper and hibiscus infused tequila based drink with Cointreau and other mysterious ingredients. A favorite cocktail bar in the Big City makes an entirely too drinkable gin based drink with green chartreuse and egg white.

Should I go on? Is it 5pm somewhere? Lol

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eos said:

Is this a cocktail or a liquid salad?  If the latter, it's healthy, right?

I missed out on celebrating last night (and missed this excellent thread) but hope to find someone who will raise a glass with me tonight. There's a tiny new Mexican place in my town I might "explore."

I'll raise a glass with you! 🙂 
Never mind healthy, we deserve to imbibe with the good stuff, lol

• Haha 2

I, too, am a once a year light drinker. 

Since I’m gluten free, I can’t drink the thing I love most. Beer. But not just any beer. High end craft beers. Especially ones that are hoppy and have grapefruit notes. 

But….the favorite alternatives are…..Hard cider. A good sangria. Moscato. Vodka in coffee. 

The new Bojangle’s hard tea….haven’t tried that. It just has to be disgusting. 

Some of the drinks in this thread sound so good!

ETA: almost forgot. Ginger’s Revenge! So good. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1