Menu

February 2023: What are you reading?

Vintage81

7 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

On another note, I've decided I don't like audio books.  I may be the only person in the world to say that, lol.     I'm going to listen to Burn because it was one of my audible credits, but after that, I'm done.   🤷🏻‍♀️

I can't do audio books.  I just don't retain anything and can't follow along.  I'm jealous of those who can use them! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

On another note, I've decided I don't like audio books.  I may be the only person in the world to say that, lol.     I'm going to listen to Burn because it was one of my audible credits, but after that, I'm done.   

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

I can't do audio books.  I just don't retain anything and can't follow along.  I'm jealous of those who can use them! 

I hate audio books, too. I get distracted. The only time I can really listen to them is if I'm on a road trip and I am not the one driving.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I hate audio books, too. I get distracted. The only time I can really listen to them is if I'm on a road trip and I am not the one driving.

Ditto. The one and only time I've listened to an audio book was several years ago on a cross country trip.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Ha! That's the only time that I can't listen to them. If DH is driving, I will fall asleep, then require him to tell me everything that I missed while I was snoozing!

I've only been listening to audiobooks for about a year. Sometimes I do get distracted and miss something, but I just rewind. The hassle is worth it to me, though, and I know that some people don't like that.

• Like 4

I woke up this morning with a sore throat and have done nothing today except nap and read. I did accomplish my goal of finishing The Girls in the Stilt House by Kelly Mustian. It was recommended to me by a couple of my coworkers with a comparison of it and Where the Crawdads Sing, only The Girls in the Stilt House is better. I'm inclined to agree.  This novel is very YA-lit like in that the main characters are YA and it is not a terribly complicated plot, though it is heavy.  I enjoyed it a lot. 

Edited by Kidlit
  • Like 4

I finished The House of the Seven Gables by Hawthorne. Overall, enjoyed. Makes me appreciates today's trend of cutting all wordiness though.

Also finished Come Fly the World for book club on Tuesday. Interesting, definitely not a book I would pick up on my own, but I enjoyed it.

Started Oath of Loyalty (Mills) on audio and Island of Time in print (Bunn). 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

I got a free trial for audible and one of the books I got was The Body Keeps the Score.   It is so highly recommended, but I had to stop after the first few chapters.  It is highly triggering.   

I'm almost done with Shoeless Joe.   I'm going to watch Field of Dreams (for the 100th time) when I finish. It has accomplished what I hoped it would and now I'm excited (really really excited!) for baseball season.    

Almost done with Grocery.  It really is a good book if you like non-fiction and behind the scenes type things.  

I'll start The Year of Less probably at the end of the week.    

I'm also starting Burn on audible.    

On another note, I've decided I don't like audio books.  I may be the only person in the world to say that, lol.     I'm going to listen to Burn because it was one of my audible credits, but after that, I'm done.   🤷🏻‍♀️

I don't like audible books either very much.

• Like 5

Re: audiobooks - I can only listen to certain types. Never nonfiction unless it's got a great narrator and I don't have to actually learn/retain anything from it. I enjoy Dickens novels but only if I am familiar with the story, or have read deep enough into the story to get the characters down. I have tried to listen to Nicholas Nickleby several times and get lost almost immediately. I own a copy of the dang book; I should just read it, or at least start it and then pick up the audio. 

So basically it has to have a fairly straightforward beginning, and/or a good narrator. I have a few favorites and I few I dislike intensely. I know which to seek out and which to avoid by now. But I only borrow audiobooks from the library; I have no interest in owning any. 

• Like 6

I love reading, but my current reading load has been positively exhausting!!

I teach ancient and medieval literature at a small private school. For my ancient lit class I am 2/3 of the way through  Plato’s Republic and about halfway through a related commentary. For my medieval literature class I just finished Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales (the general prologue and about 6 of the actual tales) and the Cambridge Companion to the tales. Next up is Langland’s Piers Plowman and Chaucer’s Parliament of Fowls.

I am taking some literature classes through Oxford University’s continuing education department. We are currently studying Victorian literature. For that class, I’ve read The History of Mary Prince, The Wonderful Adventures of Mary Seacole, and Oliver Twist. I’m currently working through Jane Eyre and Eliot’s The Mill on the Floss. And I am reading excerpts from a fascinating  text on Victorian child psychology called The Mind of the Child.

I’m enjoying all of it while also longing for time in my schedule for a “fun” read or two... 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have just finished the 8th book in the wheel of time series.  The books kerp adding in more and more characters, with very similar names. I am having trouble keeping them all straight. 

Seriously -- someone should publish a character chart. Not just names, but group of origin and associations! It all got too much for me by the end; I finished the series with my teeth gritted.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

re audiobooks -- I do not think Blood and Thunder (lengthy, non-fiction, lots of historical detail and personality sketches) was a good place to start with an audio book. I quit about 100 "pages" in. The kids and I used to love books on tape or CD for our daily drives, but I'm not driving much anymore, let along with smaller passengers. I think I am going to stick to kindle and hardcopy.

• Like 5

Over the last week, I've read Signal Fires by Dani Shapiro, Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn, and Our Missing Hearts by Celeste Ng.

Signal Fires was just okay for me, though I think a lot of people love it. The writing is good, but a major plot point seemed contrived to me, and another major plot element seemed underdeveloped. The story tells of a family over the years and touches on how an incident during the teenage years affects all of them decades into the future.

Killers of a Certain Age was straight up fun, and though there were some glaring plot holes, I didn't care! A female assassin team in their 60's is sent on a retirement cruise, during which the ladies discover that their previous employer actually wants to eliminate them for good. The women turn the tables and seek revenge to save themselves. I don't particularly enjoy revenge stories, but this one was a fun romp. Some violence included.

In Our Missing Hearts, in a dystopian America, Asians are persecuted and people, including children, sometimes disappear. Pre-teen Bird, who is half Asian, starts to question his father's insistence that he try to blend in and not associate in any way with people who support the resistance. Then Bird decides to look for his mother, who left years ago and whose poetry is a resistance slogan. I loved that in this future, librarians are secret underground heroes! The power of words and stories is a theme woven throughout. I really liked this story more than I expected to, and there are many serious thoughts to explore about racism, book banning, removal of children from parents, over-reach of government, and so on. But because 2/3 of the story is from Bird's point of view, the heaviness of the subject matter is tempered by a child's perspective. The audio is narrated by Lucy Liu, and her voice added to the experience for me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

Seriously -- someone should publish a character chart. Not just names, but group of origin and associations! It all got too much for me by the end; I finished the series with my teeth gritted.

Hate to say but I hope in the next book some of the minor characters are bumped off. Especially anyone with similar names to main characters. 

Love the story though. 

I have been extremely ill in bed for a few days and it has been just the thing to have something exciting to read. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 4

I just finished and enjoyed Pachinko a few days ago. I know I'm a few years behind, but that means I already have the tv show waiting for me. Just started Klara and the Sun and the audiobook of Less Is Lost...because those are the things that popped up on my library holds list.

• Like 5

I read the first cozy mystery from my prize box - Knit of the Living Dead by Peggy Ehrhart

I don't usually read from this genre so I have no expectations for these books. I chose Knit because it had a purple cover and allowed me to cover up the Purple Cover square in my TBR Bingo.

I did a quick Google search to learn what exactly makes a cozy mystery a cozy mystery. I was surprised to learn that Agatha Christie is considered the grandmother of the genre. I like Agatha Christie and there is a perpetual AC square in my TBR Bingo. I evidently liked cozy mysteries before I knew I liked cozy mysteries. I was pleased to read that the absence of detailed violence and steamy romance scenes are key to being cozy. No torn bustiers in these pages.

Regarding Knit - well, I don't know what to think. It was like reading Nancy Drew after she qualified for AARP and traded her little convertible for a Honda sedan. The similarities were awesome - lots of detailed descriptions about the food consumed (and the place settings and dishes associated with each meal) as the mystery unfolded as well as commentary on the types, color, quality, and style of every outfit (and hairstyle) worn by every person introduced in the book. The only thing missing was Ned Nickerson, who would have been the deceased husband in Knit. Whereas Nancy placed herself in precarious predicaments, the sleuths in Knit were more sensible and exercised the cautious wisdom that comes with age.

I have 7 more from which to choose and am looking forward to what other authors have to offer.

Edited by Granny_Weatherwax
  • Like 8

On 2/5/2023 at 9:37 AM, WildflowerMom said:

On another note, I've decided I don't like audio books.  I may be the only person in the world to say that, lol.     I'm going to listen to Burn because it was one of my audible credits, but after that, I'm done.  

I didn't like audiobooks at first either. I trained myself to listen with  books I'd already read and really enjoyed.  Those are the types of books I listen to most often. Recently started one I haven't read - Drew Hayes Fred the Vampire series and liking it so far. 

• Like 5

Currently in the middle of Wish You Were Here by Jodi Piccoult. It's the first book, I think, that I've read that is set during Covid. It's a little PTSD, tbh, re-living the beginning of the pandemic along with the characters.

Before that, I started re-reading The Mayfair Witches trilogy by Anne Rice. Made it through The Witching Hour and only a little into Lasher before I gave up. I used to enjoy Anne Rice escapism, but not anymore, apparently. 😬

In the middle of those, I've been on a big Malcolm Gladwell, John C. Maxwell, Carnegie kick and have been re-reading several of their books from the end of January through now.

• Like 4

On 2/3/2023 at 2:01 AM, Jenny in Florida said:

I finished four books in January:

I enjoyed and would recommend all four of them.

As of whenever I go out for a walk later, I'll start Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris by Paul Gallico. 

In general, throughout the year, my plan is to read at least one or two of the Royal Reading Room selections and check off at least one of the prompts on the StoryGraph challenge until I finish all 10 of those. I was looking for a way to give my reading some slight sense of direction this year.

I must admit that 3rd title has me slightly intrigued? It is non fiction or…? 

• Like 4

I’ve abandoned my Italian book after it returned to the library from the Libby app. I was feeling a bit disengaged with it anyway. I reread a couple of Georgette Heyer novels during the break but things got kind of hectic so I wasn’t up for much depth. I’ve cycled through short bursts of some other stuff but haven’t really got into anything. 

• Like 4

I feel like there is a training process for audiobooks. During our homeschool years, our kids listened to them a lot, and I got used to them.  I currently get through at least as many audiobooks as I do print books, and I love the fact that I can listen as I get ready, do chores, and drive. I am not above using the rewind function, though. 🤣

• Like 5

Last night I stayed up late finishing A Coup of Tea (Tea Princess Chronicles Book 1) by Casey Blair; this was an enjoyable cozy fantasy. I would be happy to read more in the series. This happens to be on sale for 99¢ currently for US Kindle readers. (FIC 12, RR 7, NF 1, NS 2//)

"When the fourth princess of Istalam is due to dedicate herself to a path serving the crown, she makes a choice that shocks everyone, herself most of all: She leaves.

In hiding and exiled from power, Miyara finds her place running a tea shop in a struggling community that sits on the edge of a magical disaster zone. But there's more brewing under the surface of this city—hidden magic, and hidden machinations—that threaten all the people who've helped her make her own way.

Miyara may not be a princess anymore, but with a teapot in hand she'll risk her newfound freedom to discover a more meaningful kind of power."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

On 2/1/2023 at 10:18 AM, Faith-manor said:

I have The Scarlet Letter with me which I have read before, more than once, but haven't been through in a few years. The local library asked me to do a book club with some local high schoolers who hang out there, all want to major in English and Literature, and have their literature cut to the bone at the high school. I figure I need a fresh read before I get back and embark down that road. The 3 year old, however, is doing a marvelous job of foiling my plans. (Also looks disparagingly at Eric Carle and his stupid caterpillar.) 

Faith-manor, I am so jealous!  How did you get this gig?  I just finished my third read of The Scarlet Letter and would love to be the one to introduce it to high schoolers!  Have fun!

(You may want to include a reading of Hawthorne's introductory essay, "The Custom-House", which details his inspiration for writing the book.  The students may think it's really interesting that there really was a Hester and there really was an actual scarlet letter.  Fascinating!)

Edited by Quarter Note
  • Like 6

On 2/4/2023 at 5:27 PM, Granny_Weatherwax said:

... I entered all 8 of my tickets in the cozy mystery drawing and won!! I have never won a thing from the library reading contests despite participating for years.

Congratulations!  (I've never won anything from my library reading contests, despite trying every year.  Glad to hear that it's possible!)

• Like 8

On 2/6/2023 at 1:03 AM, The Governess said:

I am taking some literature classes through Oxford University’s continuing education department. We are currently studying Victorian literature. For that class, I’ve read The History of Mary Prince, The Wonderful Adventures of Mary Seacole, and Oliver Twist. I’m currently working through Jane Eyre and Eliot’s The Mill on the Floss. And I am reading excerpts from a fascinating  text on Victorian child psychology called The Mind of the Child.

Governess, I think that you changed my life this afternoon when I first read your post.  I had no idea that Oxford had such a thing as online continuing education classes, and I spent about an hour just looking through their offerings.  Oxford doesn't feel like a place for mere mortals like me, but I'm fascinated by some of their offerings.  Maybe I might just try one of their classes!  Thank you!

• Like 7

For all of you:

A "bookish, readerly community, extending through time and across space, has still a substantial membership; nonreaders outnumber us - always have and always will - but we can always find one another and are always eager to welcome others into the fold.  May our tribe increase."

- Alan Jacobs, The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction

Glad to be reading with all of you!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Quarter Note said:

For all of you:

A "bookish, readerly community, extending through time and across space, has still a substantial membership; nonreaders outnumber us - always have and always will - but we can always find one another and are always eager to welcome others into the fold.  May our tribe increase."

- Alan Jacobs, The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction

Glad to be reading with all of you!

What a great quote! Thank you for sharing! ☺️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I finished Switchboard Soldiers: A Novel by Jennifer Chiaverini, about the women telephone operators in the US Army in World War I. It was very good and I enjoyed reading it a lot. However, I started it last summer and it took me about 6 months to finish. I could only read a chapter or two at a time and then needed to put it down. I think I'm not really emotionally up for reading a war book right now, but I was so interested I still couldn't stop altogether.

I also finished The Secret Garden as a read aloud to my 9 and 12 year olds. It's a favorite of mine from childhood and it was such a pleasure for me to be with my kids as they enjoyed it, too.

Edited by scholarly
Forgot a book
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Quarter Note said:

Governess, I think that you changed my life this afternoon when I first read your post.  I had no idea that Oxford had such a thing as online continuing education classes, and I spent about an hour just looking through their offerings.  Oxford doesn't feel like a place for mere mortals like me, but I'm fascinated by some of their offerings.  Maybe I might just try one of their classes!  Thank you!

You should definitely try one!! I started a year ago and have really enjoyed them. Their logic/critical reasoning course and another course on critical reading were both excellent introductions. And there are always such interesting people participating - of all ages and from all around the world.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2023 at 1:10 AM, Kassia said:

Me too!  I have an embarrassing FIFTY books on hold at the library!  I had to suspend most of the holds because there's no way I can read all of those books if they come in at the same time!  I need to spend more time reading and less time finding new books to read but I love seeing what everyone is reading!  ❤️ 

I'm reading The Perfect Predator: A Scientist's Race to Save Her Husband from a Deadly Superbug: A Memoir.  Very good so far.  

I may have mentioned this before, our library system has a “for later” option. That way I can queue up a suggested book, so I’ll remember it, but don’t have to initiate the hold right away. I learned this the hard way, after having too many holds come through at the same time. 

On 2/5/2023 at 11:45 AM, Kassia said:

I’ve learned that I can do non-fiction audiobooks, and memoirs, but I need to visually read fiction to truly enjoy it. 

As for what I’m reading, I just have to say, Anthony Doerr is a genius. After reading the gorgeously written All the Light We Cannot See last year, I picked up a copy of Cloud Cuckoo Land. Coming in at 1100+ pages (large print edition), it took a while to read but oh my goodness, this author is brilliant. It is so skillfully woven together, one of those books that begin with unrelated sets of characters and the whole arching story is put together before it ends. I’m not sure what genre to put it in, here’s an excerpt from an article about Doerr:

The new book asks a reader’s imagination to travel from the dystopian future of a dying Planet Earth to the 15th-century, ancient walled city of Constantinople, to a small, lakeside town in present-day Idaho. The story weaves these unlikely places, times, and people together with the magical thread of one ancient, soaring tale about Aethon, who hopes to become a bird to fly into the clouds and discover a utopian paradise in the sky.”

This month I’ve also read the personal biography of an immigrant friend and currently audiobooking Cleaning House While Drowning. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, I tried reading (or rather listening, since it was my last credit on audible before I cancel) Burn.   Got through several chapters, didn't like it.   I used to try to get through books and feel guilty if I couldn't.   Now, I just figure life is too short.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Reading The Year of Less and started back reading Antarctica.   Starting Win the Day: 7 Daily Habits to Help You Stress Less and Accomplish More.   

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

I may have mentioned this before, our library system has a “for later” option. That way I can queue up a suggested book, so I’ll remember it, but don’t have to initiate the hold right away. I learned this the hard way, after having too many holds come through at the same time. 

I’ve learned that I can do non-fiction audiobooks, and memoirs, but I need to visually read fiction to truly enjoy it. 

As for what I’m reading, I just have to say, Anthony Doerr is a genius. After reading the gorgeously written All the Light We Cannot See last year, I picked up a copy of Cloud Cuckoo Land. Coming in at 1100+ pages (large print edition), it took a while to read but oh my goodness, this author is brilliant. It is so skillfully woven together, one of those books that begin with unrelated sets of characters and the whole arching story is put together before it ends. I’m not sure what genre to put it in, here’s an excerpt from an article about Doerr:

The new book asks a reader’s imagination to travel from the dystopian future of a dying Planet Earth to the 15th-century, ancient walled city of Constantinople, to a small, lakeside town in present-day Idaho. The story weaves these unlikely places, times, and people together with the magical thread of one ancient, soaring tale about Aethon, who hopes to become a bird to fly into the clouds and discover a utopian paradise in the sky.”

This month I’ve also read the personal biography of an immigrant friend and currently audiobooking Cleaning House While Drowning. 

I read Cloud Cuckoo Land last year and enjoyed it, too! I also listened to How to Clean House While Drowning, which was a quick read.

• Like 4

I finished three audiobooks --

The Bullet that Missed by Richard Osman, which is the third book in the Thursday Murder Club series. I keep giving this series a chance, but I don't know if I will continue. This audiobook had an author interview at the end, and he said he plans to keep writing them and can see doing as many as twelve. With so many other things to read, I don't want to invest that much time in this series. The premise is interesting -- four elderly amateur sleuths solve crimes -- and there are some fun elements. But the overly clever writing voice gets on my nerves after awhile.

London Is the Best City in America by Laura Dave. This was Dave's debut, and I think I put it on my list after finishing her more recent book, The Last Thing He Told Me. But it was a much different book. Last Thing was a mystery/thriller, and London is the story of a young woman examining her own life and decisions while helping her older brother through a relationship crisis on the weekend of his wedding. Fine but unmemorable for me.

Rabbit Hutch by Tess Gunty won the National Book Award and was on many best-books lists last year. It was very accessible for a literary work but does deal with some intense issues. The "rabbit hutch" is the name of a residential building, and the plot weaves together the stories of people who live in the building. The main focus is on a girl who has recently aged out of foster care; the story reveals major sections of her backstory, as the current timeline moves toward an intense climax. I did enjoy this one, though a section where the super-smart main character unspools all of her thoughts about the socio-political implications of the events landed too on-the-nose for me.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2023 at 8:48 PM, Quarter Note said:

Congratulations!  (I've never won anything from my library reading contests, despite trying every year.  Glad to hear that it's possible!)

I had to give up entering all of ours because I'm now an employee (as well as a patron), and even though we are allowed to enter if we live in the district, it looks really bad when I win all the time.

Over the years, my kids and I have won a three Kindles, some gift cards (one DD was able to buy an AG doll with just gift cards she'd won through the library!), board games, and a pass to the aquarium.

One of the libraries I work at has a separate employee program that I do enter, and I've swept the last two (Summer and Winter) and won paid vacation days. I told the director the universe was saying I need a vacation LOL!

Congratulations, Granny! I'm so glad you're enjoying your prize!

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 6

A Slave in the White House was very interesting, and then I stumbled on The Dawn of Detroit which was completely fascinating.  I didn't know much about the city and I thought this book about its early history with a focus on enslaved and unfree people was very well done.  

• Like 4

I'm just finishing the best book!

I call books, "book-dessert."

If you’ve grappled with the medical system — and who over 50 hasn’t? — this memoir is like a gift from the heavens.

The Beauty of Dusk by Frank Bruni starts a tad slow. I found myself skim-reading and began to think that maybe the book should have been distilled down to the size of an article.

Thankfully!! I did not put the book down (after coming super close). In his early 50s, Bruni had it all: a phenomenal job (New York Times columnist and bestselling book author), friends, family, a partner: he was living his best life. But one morning he woke up with a blurriness in one eye that turned out couldn’t be fixed. Even worse, there’s a twenty percent chance his other eye could go down the same path, rendering him blind.

Bruni shares deeply personal stories about his life, his health and how he manages his world with a (mostly) invisible disability. Bruni layers into his memoir all that was involved with taking care of his once highly competent father who with Alzheimer’s, going through a break-up when he’d just learned his diagnosis, and incredible stories about how different people deal with disease or a disabling condition. Review: worth your time to read or listen on audio.

But these are my most favorite book-desserts on the planet.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I had my office all to myself yesterday, so I put an audiobook on Hoopla on my phone and listened: Rewire Your Anxious Brain. I will say listening at 1 1/2 speed made me anxious LOL, so I slowed it down. I'm about 3/4 of the way through. It was good to stop and do the exercises while working - I felt pretty relaxed even though it was a super stressful day (I'm out of the office for a month for a family hospitalization so I was booking to get things done before I left!)

• Like 7

On 2/6/2023 at 2:03 AM, The Governess said:

I love reading, but my current reading load has been positively exhausting!!

I teach ancient and medieval literature at a small private school. For my ancient lit class I am 2/3 of the way through  Plato’s Republic and about halfway through a related commentary. For my medieval literature class I just finished Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales (the general prologue and about 6 of the actual tales) and the Cambridge Companion to the tales. Next up is Langland’s Piers Plowman and Chaucer’s Parliament of Fowls.

I’m enjoying all of it while also longing for time in my schedule for a “fun” read or two... 

I love your current reading list. I took medieval literature during my undergraduate days and kept all of my texts. I really should get them back out and reread them.

I might check out Oxford's CE department.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

I read Malibu Rising last night. Fun twaddle 🙂

i really hated that book. i thought it was cliche and poorly written. However, I have seen it on a lot of book lists, and I know people have really liked that book. and I really really didn’t like it. At all. But that’s not my point. I often wonder what it is about some books that some people love it and others don’t. I read a book that won the Pulitzer Prize and was like, “meh”. It was ok. But there had to be something about that book that a lot of people loved or found worthy enough to give it that prize. I wonder why I didn’t agree.  And it’s strange about some authors, too. Kristin Hannah….I devoured The Nightingale and ….what’s that other one, about Alaska. But The Four Winds and some of her other ones…. I hated. i don’t read her anymore. And Anthony Doerr was recently mentioned. I adored “All the Light You Cannot See.” But “Cloud Cuckoo-land”…. I just couldn’t stomach it. It made no sense at all and I hated it. And then there are some authors, for me it’s John Grisham, who i like pretty consistently. Some of his books I like better than others, none I really devour, but I definitely enjoy. I wonder why that is.

I keep adding to this post as I think about it, because for me, it kind of goes to the heart of “What makes a book good?”  Is it strictly personal taste? Is there something wrong with me because I didn’t like a book a lot of other people did? And why didn’t I like those books? There are some people i know that I absolutely don’t take book recs from. And some I know I will love whatever they recommend. 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

Finished The Spare Man and The Black Count. The Spare Man was space opera detective fiction which integrated disability. It was okay. I like the set up better then the playout.

The Black Count is about Alexander Dumas' (The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers) father who was the son of a French nobleman and a Haitian slave. It was very interesting, and I learned a lot about the ups and downs of the French Revolution. I did wish for a bit more background on Napoleon entering the scene or the Haitian Revolution afterward, but it was very detailed so I understand why the author didn't include it. 

New stuff:

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I've heard a lot about her and I'm completing a winter book bingo from my library and need a choice for Africa. An immigrant to the US from Nigeria decides to return home for various reasons. I'm really enjoying it so far. The hair braiding scene is so sharp. 

Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby VanPelt. Dh is listening to this on audio. The octopus sections are cute although of mixed reality. Nicely detailed widow character. There is one guy who bugs me. You just want to pinch your nose and sigh when it's his chapter...but people do dumb stuff. 

My son keeps asking if I'm finishing the Hyperion cantos, so I'm working on an audio version of Endymion

And various non-fiction when the mood hits; Grow a Little Fruit Tree, A Bark Covered House, The 14th Century a Distant Mirror. 

• Like 5