Menu

Pregnancy/RH-

ArtHaus

If anyone has had a similar experience, I would appreciate feedback. 

I have had two uncomplicated, normal pregnancies, both natural and unmedicated, and fortunately, healthy. That was eleven years ago. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant with baby number three.

At my last appointment, I was told that my blood type is RH-, and was asked if I had ever had the Rhogham(sp?) shot. I responded with no, and plenty of questions as to what that means, as I had never heard of it. 

My issue is that in neither of my pregnancies before was this blood type even remotely talked about. This would have been especially important to know on my second pregnancy than my first. I am confused as to whether the lab results are wrong, or if my previous providers never mentioned this (could have been fatal for the baby, so this seems implausible). 

At any rate, I am curious as to whether anyone has had this unmentioned in previous pregnancies, and then it sort of “pop up” on a later one. So strange. The doctor has requested my medical records from earlier pregnancies, so we will see.

Edited by HeatherW

Just now, Rosie_0801 said:

That is very strange!

I am Rh- and they gave me the shot even with my first.

Exactly. I have been racking my brain over this. I am hoping this is a lab error!  Nevertheless, did things go well for you despite the Rh- blood type?

Key question to ask first, is your partner also rh-?

I’m rH- but knew my kids have the possibility of being rH+. 
Both of my parents are negative but rhogam was given to my mom because her ob told her he wasn’t going to trust her word of my dad’s blood type.

Edited by Acorn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I am AB- and got the Rhogam shot with each pregnancy. All went well.

So this is the first you've ever been told that you are RH-? 

That is good to hear, as I have been feeling anxious about it. 

Yes, I have never heard of this before last week. It just never came up in either pregnancy before. So I have been taken off guard, and am quite perplexed. 

Just now, Acorn said:

Both of my parents are negative but rhogam was given to my mom because her ob told he wasn’t going to trust her word of my dad’s blood type.

That’s a great question. And, I don’t know the answer yet. We tried to obtain his medical records (the VA says they have no record of his blood type), and he can’t really remember. He is pretty sure he is rh +, though. So we will have to get his blood tested to see.

1 minute ago, HeatherW said:

That’s a great question. And, I don’t know the answer yet. We tried to obtain his medical records (the VA says they have no record of his blood type), and he can’t really remember. He is pretty sure he is rh +, though. So we will have to get his blood tested to see.

Does he have his old dog tags? It'll be on them. That's how we showed proof to my OB.

• Like 2

I have had my blood type test as both O pos and O neg and was told that happens sometimes.  Not that it was a mistake, but that it happens.  

Edit:  and I remember getting the Rhogam shot with my first pregnancy, but I don’t remember getting it with my second pregnancy.  But I could have forgotten.  (I think it’s likely I just don’t specifically remember getting it — I probably got it.)

Edit:  I am wondering right now why I did not ask more questions but I was much younger when I was having my blood type be either O neg or O pos and I just went with it.  

Edited by Lecka

10 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I am AB- and got the Rhogam shot with each pregnancy. All went well.

So this is the first you've ever been told that you are RH-? 

Me too. Husband is + , so I got the shot each time and also had heightened surveillance during each of the (long, sigh) deliveries; and with my last, because I was deemed "old", the baby's blood type was tested in utero. All three kids are + , and all three deliveries went fine (if glacially, sigh).

I also had a late term miscarriage between #2 and #3 -- but I'd gotten the shot then too and no one seemed to think RH was a causal factor.

I'm glad your prior deliveries went well.

4 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I'm negative but refused the shot because dh is also negative and we had proof of it. You can order a blood typing card off of amazon if you want to type your dh. Maybe he's negative. 

Any chance that you forgot about them giving you rhogam? Eleven years is a long time!

Right - the risk factor arises when you're negative and the father is positive.  If you're not sure your partner can easily get a blood test.

• Like 1

Just now, sassenach said:

I'm negative but refused the shot because dh is also negative and we had proof of it. You can order a blood typing card off of amazon if you want to type your dh. Maybe he's negative. 

Any chance that you forgot about them giving you rhogam? Eleven years is a long time!

Thank you for the info about the blood typing card. We will certainly do that.

No, I am positive it was never mentioned. Besides, had it been mentioned, I would have researched the heck out of rh- /sensitivity/rhesus. I would have been just as anxious about it then, as I am now. Plus, I get faint with shots and needles, lol. I HATE them. I am already stressed about the shot, and I am only 16 weeks, lol. So, I would also remember stressing over a shot back then (and twice because I have had two pregnancies already), as I was worse about that when I was younger than I am now.  I know that is a long time, but, no. I am positive:)

https://www.bloodgroupgenomics.org/blog-blood-experts/articles/pregnant-women-type-rh-positive-rh-negative/

I just googled and saw this, it says some women can test as rh positive or rh negative (Edited I misread the article) for a few possible reasons.

The article says it can happen with 2% to 4% of women.  

Maybe this is why I have tested both ways.  

Edited by Lecka

3 minutes ago, HeatherW said:

@sassenach   We were literally just talking about that earlier, but no. He had given them to his brother after he came back from Iraq, and his brother subsequently lost them. But thanks, that is a great way to find out blood type, and great proof. 

A soldier knows their blood type. They wore it around their neck for 4 years. I’m sorry to sound so suspicious but none of this adds up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeatherW said:

@Lecka  Thanks! This has to be the case! I will check out the link. I was beginning to feel crazy, like I know I have never had this shot. My midwife looked at me like I was silly for not remembering having it. So, thanks, that makes sense:)

When you get the shot, they give you a card to carry in your wallet that says you are RH- and had the Rhogam injection and the date (or at least that's how it happened when I had the shots 20+ years ago). So I'm sure you would remember both the shot and the card if you had gotten it before.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

A soldier knows their blood type. They wore it around their neck for 4 years. I’m sorry to sound so suspicious but none of this adds up. 

Lol. Suspicious? My husband was a combat veteran at 19. I am sure he wasn’t overly concerned with his blood type. Besides, he is 40 now, and we have lived a lot of life together. Fortunately, blood types have never been apart of our conversation (or had to be). I am not sure what doesn’t add up? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

It seems impossible for the VA to not have blood type records or for an OB to not mention Rhogam. I find this whole scenario beyond bazarre 

Our thoughts exactly. We spoke to the VA today. The VA “lady” that he talked to  says the VA doesn’t do blood typing. We both had a laugh at that one. Probably someone who just didn’t want to do their job, or answer our questions. 

An OB not mentioning RH- blood type or offering the shot is bizarre, which is why I made the post:)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HeatherW said:

If anyone has had a similar experience, I would appreciate feedback. 

I have had two uncomplicated, normal pregnancies, both natural and unmedicated, and fortunately, healthy. That was eleven years ago. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant with baby number three.

At my last appointment, I was told that my blood type is RH-, and was asked if I had ever had the Rhogham(sp?) shot. I responded with no, and plenty of questions as to what that means, as I had never heard of it. 

My issue is that in neither of my pregnancies before was this blood type even remotely talked about. This would have been especially important to know on my second pregnancy than my first. I am confused as to whether the lab results are wrong, or if my previous providers never mentioned this (could have been fatal for the baby, so this seems implausible). 

At any rate, I am curious as to whether anyone has had this unmentioned in previous pregnancies, and then it sort of “pop up” on a later one. So strange. The doctor has requested my medical records from earlier pregnancies, so we will see.

It is VERY odd you were never told with previous pregnancies about the RH- factor.  I am RH-.  I hope no error was made and your paperwork didn't get mixed up somehow.  The main concern is with subsequent pregnancies.  I had a miscarriage and still needed the shot. It's been a while, but my understanding is that many babies were lost before the invention of this shot.  

4 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

It is VERY odd you were never told with previous pregnancies about the RH- factor.  I am RH-.  I hope no error was made and your paperwork didn't get mixed up somehow.  The main concern is with subsequent pregnancies.  I had a miscarriage and still needed the shot. It's been a while, but my understanding is that many babies were lost before the invention of this shot.  

My dh family have ancesters who lost a lot of babies before the shot was invented

2 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

Yes, I think not mentioning in previous pregnancy would have been malpractice, so certainly there is some error. I can only imagine what people went through before the shot. I have been overwhelmed with some of the things I have read. Fortunately, the situation can be mitigated, and it’s relatively easy. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, this sounds like the most likely situation is a lab error this pregnancy.  Have you donated blood before?  Or did you know what your blood type was before this pregnancy?

Agreed. No, never donated. I was probably told my blood type at some time in my life, but I just don’t remember. Neither OB when I pregnant, (twice) in my twenties, ever told me my blood type. I did request my medical records (today) from my two earlier pregnancies to see if they put it in my records, so we will see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acorn said:

Both of my parents are negative but rhogam was given to my mom because her ob told her he wasn’t going to trust her word of my dad’s blood type.

This happened to me too - DH and I are both - and he got a blood test to submit to the OB's office to prove his blood type. The office and midwives were all fine with it, but the pediatrician that came on rounds the first day I was in the hospital strongly suggested that I could have harmed my baby if I had been lying about who the father was. 🙄 

I guess the simplest solution is to have your blood tested again.  That is strange though!

I didn't know that if both the mother and father are RH- then the shot isn't necessary.  I don't ever remember my doctors asking me what my dh's blood type was!

I'm RH- and had the shot for all of my pregnancies, no problem.  I'm kind of remembering that each pregnancy required two shots:  one early on in the pregnancy, and then after birth.  I could be remembering wrong though.  I did carry a card with me for years that stated my blood type.

• Like 1

For my first pregnancy, almost 30 years ago, they tested my blood type and exh blood type in the OB's office.   I knew I was negative before that but when they found out he was positive, we knew I needed the shots.  

I've had the shots multiple times, I think after my first delivery, earlier in the pregnancy for #2 and #3, and then after delivery for #2 and #3.  All three of my kids are positive and my negative Rh factor was mentioned multiple times in all of my pregnancies. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

This happened to me too - DH and I are both - and he got a blood test to submit to the OB's office to prove his blood type. The office and midwives were all fine with it, but the pediatrician that came on rounds the first day I was in the hospital strongly suggested that I could have harmed my baby if I had been lying about who the father was. 🙄 

I'm completely shocked that the dr didn't just insist I take the shot with my first- we were unmarried and I was 17. Looking back even I think he made the wrong call 😂.

1 hour ago, silver said:

They can test to see if you already have antibodies from not getting rhogam in previous pregnancies. If you don't have antibodies, you can get the rhogam shot this time and there wouldn't be any issue.

They did test for antibodies, and there were no antibodies present. So, yes, luckily, I think I could get the shot and be fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Selkie said:

When you get the shot, they give you a card to carry in your wallet that says you are RH- and had the Rhogam injection and the date (or at least that's how it happened when I had the shots 20+ years ago). So I'm sure you would remember both the shot and the card if you had gotten it before.

I’m Rh - and definitely had the shot, but was never given a card. That must vary by provider.

I had something vaguely similar happen. Totally normal first two pregnancies/deliveries. At the very end of my third, I had a nurse ask about being rh-. I told her I had never heard that I was (and my three pregnancies were quite close together and in the same office, although with different doctors). It seems ludicrous years later, but somehow I didn’t understand it fully, and nothing else happened. No shot, nothing. I have to think something else happened behind the scenes with the nurse/doctor. She had to have been wrong? I was stressed out about the delivery for other reasons and managed to forget until quite a while later (healthy baby/delivery) and by then we had moved and I couldn’t ask. Honestly, I was young, naive, and somewhat uninformed. Now I would have done something totally different.

15 hours ago, Acorn said:

So going back to this, I noticed the 11 year gap and wondered if you got married a second time? 

Because as a 2 something, I would have thought nothing weird when doc asked both of your blood type and if he was negative, then it comes off as a routine question. It's only a big deal when mom is - and there is an unknown rh factor for dad.  I'm - and DH is + so it's always been an issue.  Oldest is 27.

Edited by BlsdMama

17 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

So going back to this, I noticed the 11 year gap and wondered if you got married a second time? 

Because as a 2 something, I would have thought nothing weird when doc asked both of your blood type and if he was negative, then it comes off as a routine question. It's only a big deal when mom is - and there is an unknown rh factor for dad.  I'm - and DH is + so it's always been an issue.  Oldest is 27.

No, I have been married for 18 years, to the same man. This is the first pregnancy anyone has brought up blood type, mine or his:/

18 hours ago, momto3innc said:

I had something vaguely similar happen. Totally normal first two pregnancies/deliveries. At the very end of my third, I had a nurse ask about being rh-. I told her I had never heard that I was (and my three pregnancies were quite close together and in the same office, although with different doctors). It seems ludicrous years later, but somehow I didn’t understand it fully, and nothing else happened. No shot, nothing. I have to think something else happened behind the scenes with the nurse/doctor. She had to have been wrong? I was stressed out about the delivery for other reasons and managed to forget until quite a while later (healthy baby/delivery) and by then we had moved and I couldn’t ask. Honestly, I was young, naive, and somewhat uninformed. Now I would have done something totally different.

Oh, wow. Okay, so I am not the only one, lol. Thanks for sharing, this made me feel better. And certainly, they probably got their wires crossed (hopefully in my case as well). I am glad that all was well!

• Like 1