Menu

Please help! 🥵🥶

fraidycat

Have any of you women 'of a certain age/stage' been able to conquer and tame the hot flashes?

This past couple weeks have been awwwwwful. 

I'm open to most any tried and true remedies, supplements, dietary additions/subtractions, lotions, potions, or ancient sacrificial practices and naked forest dances if it will at least let me sleep through the night without having to ride the temperature roller coaster!

Ok, maybe not the sacrifices, but the rest... please share your wisdom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mine completely disappeared upon eliminating intake of high-histamine foods (which previously were almost all I ate).  Take a look at this list of lower and higher histamine foods, and try a few days of eating just lower-histamine options to see if it helps.  Even just changing your cooking method can make a difference -- slow-cooked meats and leftover meats are much higher in histamine.   

• Like 1

I've suffered for years. Unfortunately, my doctor said that women can have eight years of hot flashes!

Recently, she has had me try a low dose of Effexor. It hasn't cured me of the scourge completely, but I am doing MUCH less tossing of the covers at night. Years ago, when my mom had terrible (worse than mine) hot flashes, her doctor also prescribed an antidepressant, so it's not a new idea.

• Like 1

DIM supplement from Thorne (and probably other sellers). The stuff that makes it effective is the good stuff in sulphur/cruciferous veggies, but you can't really eat enough of them. I started with 2, went to 3, and still feel better if I eat quite a lot of cabbage.

Rose soap. I have heard that rose hydrosol used as a skin toner helps also. I get French-milled rose soap (South of France is usually the most cost effective). I don't get any with clay in them because the clay is drying.

Controlling blood sugar.

If I falter on one of these, then they come roaring back, but I seem to keep them to a reasonable level most of the time this way.

• Like 2

The book Roar, by Stacy Sims is written for +/- menopausal athletic women. In one of the chapters she reviews things that you can do to counter the big menopause complaints. She looks at supplements and also the latest thinking on hormone therapy (which happened to match the short speech my OB had given me a few weeks before). I didn't take any notes from that chapter to share. Yet. But it was available at my library.

Edited by Miss Tick
clarity
  • Like 2

So, when mine first started, my doctor said reduce caffeine intake.  I never tried that, b/c me w/o caffeine seemed worse of a thing than flipping the covers on/off all night.  But, just in case....

In the last year or so, I've made the following changes, and things have been calming down - no idea which one of these things, or just time, is at work, but: 
...began exercising more (I now do fencing 2x/week, "boot camp" exercise class 1x/week, and I just added in a rowing machine that I do on at least 2 off days a week)
...drinking more water (partly due to the exercise....)
...when my periods got super wonky, I went to a new Gyn and he put me on low dose estrogen bc pills. I've just started the 5th month on those. my hot flashes are noticeably better, no more period wonkiness, my hormonal migraines are less severe, and it's improved some bladder stuff (no accidents, but was having frequent urges due to not emptying my bladder fully each time; he said this would help that, and I was very skeptical, but it seems to have done so)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

My mom swears that going completely dairy free made all the difference. I am not quite there yet, but she really does tell everyone how it took hers away? She caught on that they would be much worse after eating ice cream or dairy heavy foods. 

I'm dairy free, and it sure hasn't helped me. I've been having hot flashes for over twenty years.

• Sad 3

Yoga is supposed to be helpful.  I had nothing remotely like a hot flash while I was doing an hour practice six days a week.  Then I injured my knee . . . (not yoga related.)  Still, it was another year before I noticed anything.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Acupuncture!

26 minutes ago, BandH said:

Does that mean you aren’t coming to the dance retreat?  Darn! 

You can just click “follow”.

I might be willing to do almost anything to counteract some of these fun symptoms!  Ha!

(funny how I never noticed that little "follow" toggle 🤨)

ETA: Not sure how I managed to quote @ScoutTN

Edited by Kidlit
  • Like 1

Eating a plant based diet rich in soy has been shown to eliminate or greatly reduce hot flashes. It has worked for me - I am 53, menopausal, and have never had a hot flash.

https://www.pcrm.org/clinical-research/fighting-hot-flashes-with-diet

A study published by the North American Menopause Society in the journal Menopause,found a plant-based diet rich in soy reduces moderate-to-severe hot flashes by 84%, from nearly five per day to fewer than one per day. During the 12-week study, nearly 60% of women became totally free of moderate-to-severe hot flashes. Overall hot flashes (including mild ones) decreased by 79%.

The study, called the WAVS trial—the Women’s Study for the Alleviation of Vasomotor Symptoms–shows that diet changes can be much more powerful for treating hot flashes than scientists had thought. Vasomotor symptoms refer to night sweats, hot flashes, and flushes.

The study used no hormone medications or extracts. Instead, the research team tested a combination of a low-fat plant-based diet plus 1/2 cup of ordinary soybeans added to a salad or soup each day.

Total hot flashes decreased by 79% and moderate-to-severe hot flashes decreased by 84% in the intervention group. At the study’s conclusion, 59% of intervention-group participants reported becoming free of moderate and severe hot flashes. There was no change in this variable in the control group.

• Like 5

Just chiming in to say that ovaries are the dumbest organs in the entire human body. Truly stupid and also depraved and evil, psychopathic really. I am 54. I went 9 straight months, no period, very few hot flashes, more energy than I have had in decades. I thought I was getting my life back. I have been wonky, perimenopausal since the day I turned 40.

Nope December, period, sore breasts, the whole stupid mess. I crossed my fingers, hoped it was a fluke, and would not return in January. Bwahahahahaha! I have it now, and am currently with my feet up, cramping so hard I can hardly move, and getting exsanguinated. Miserable.

And the doctors just shrug their shoulders like, "Tsk tsk tsk, sucks to be you little snowflake."

What I want is someone to carve the dang things out of my body, and save them in a jar. I will bring them home, make a fire in the fire pit, throw the ovaries into the fire, and then do a happy dance around the fire as they incinerate while singing some sort of song about freedom.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Just chiming in to say that ovaries are the dumbest organs in the entire human body. Truly stupid and also depraved and evil, psychopathic really. I am 54. I went 9 straight months, no period, very few hot flashes, more energy than I have had in decades. I thought I was getting my life back. I have been wonky, perimenopausal since the day I turned 40.

Nope December, period, sore breasts, the whole stupid mess. I crossed my fingers, hoped it was a fluke, and would not return in January. Bwahahahahaha! I have it now, and am currently with my feet up, cramping so hard I can hardly move, and getting exsanguinated. Miserable.

And the doctors just shrug their shoulders like, "Tsk tsk tsk, sucks to be you little snowflake."

What I want is someone to carve the dang things out of my body, and save them in a jar. I will bring them home, make a fire in the fire pit, throw the ovaries into the fire, and then do a happy dance around the fire as they incinerate while singing some sort of song about freedom.

So, is this an offer to host?  What’s you address?  I will bake a cake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

45 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Eating a plant based diet rich in soy has been shown to eliminate or greatly reduce hot flashes. It has worked for me - I am 53, menopausal, and have never had a hot flash.

A study published by the North American Menopause Society in the journal Menopause,found a plant-based diet rich in soy reduces moderate-to-severe hot flashes by 84%, from nearly five per day to fewer than one per day. During the 12-week study, nearly 60% of women became totally free of moderate-to-severe hot flashes. Overall hot flashes (including mild ones) decreased by 79%.

The study, called the WAVS trial—the Women’s Study for the Alleviation of Vasomotor Symptoms–shows that diet changes can be much more powerful for treating hot flashes than scientists had thought. Vasomotor symptoms refer to night sweats, hot flashes, and flushes.

The study used no hormone medications or extracts. Instead, the research team tested a combination of a low-fat plant-based diet plus 1/2 cup of ordinary soybeans added to a salad or soup each day.

Total hot flashes decreased by 79% and moderate-to-severe hot flashes decreased by 84% in the intervention group. At the study’s conclusion, 59% of intervention-group participants reported becoming free of moderate and severe hot flashes. There was no change in this variable in the control group.

I got a pretty good giggle at moderate - severe meaning 5 per day. Lol

On Friday, while I was at work, sitting at a desk all day,  I marked down my hot flashes. I didn't track the ones before work or the ones at home in the evening.

I had NINETEEN between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. 

Today is not as bad, but still having about 2/hour. I tried cutting out sugar over the weekend, had an iced tea oops (forgot I was not having sugar) once, so it seems to have helped some, but there is room for improvement!

• Sad 5

I find the research and line of thinking in “Estrogen Matters” to be pretty compelling, after always having considered myself anti-HRT. I don’t know that sticking to my prior beliefs about that is worth making my life miserable over. Rather than ovaries being the problem and removing them being the answer, the problem seems to be when they stop functioning, which used to be closer to end of life than it is now with people living so long. The soy suggestion makes sense to me due to the estrogen like qualities. I always avoided it due to breast cancer concerns, but it seems the thinking may have shifted on that as well. 

• Like 3

The worst of my hot flashes are finally over at age 55, thank goodness! I still have them, but they are not as 'violent' as they were. For example, my entire legs would suddenly errupt in sweat for no reason and without any warning.

Now I can feel the heat rise a little more gradually, so I can take off a layer (blanket or light sweater) and avoid a full-on hot flash. I also have to watch out when drinking tea, as my internal temp sometimes rises and triggers a hot flash. 

I exercise regularly, and eat very little dairy and mostly non-meat. I don't really know if these affect my hot flashes.

One really 'nice' thing, is that my dh can feel the heat radiate from my body during a hot flash, so I know it's not all in my mind. He finds it rather surprising how this happens, and I say, "Me, too, dear! Woman's hormone are very powerful. If only we could unleash the power for the greater good." 😅

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Skimming the list so far, it should also be dairy-free, low histamine, add shredded cabbage and served with sage tea.

I am happy to make it gluten free and vegan.  I apparently draw the line somewhere between cabbage and edamame in my cake, but I will make this for my contribution to the meal before:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/07/mango-slaw-with-cashews-and-mint/

I don't actually know what "low histamine" means. 

I assume this is potluck right? 

• Like 7

Due to cancer treatment, I have chemically-induced menopause, which in turn produced hot-flashes, mostly at night, which made sleep challenging. They prescribed Gabapentin, which seems to work pretty well. I'm down from 5 per night to one, and sometimes none. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

Sorry but just sounds like another “study” to convince us all to be vegetarians. Nopey nope nope. Some of us need cow to function properly. I tried no red meat and mostly veg in college and almost had a nervous breakdown. I could not think straight at all. Ate a steak, and it all went away. Human bodies are weird.

But if it helps others than great! We need all the helps and ideas we can get.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BandH said:

I am happy to make it gluten free and vegan.  I apparently draw the line somewhere between cabbage and edamame in my cake, but I will make this for my contribution to the meal before:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/07/mango-slaw-with-cashews-and-mint/

I don't actually know what "low histamine" means. 

I assume this is potluck right? 

Yup! I will have spinach, artichoke dip, veggies and chips ready. But I told Mark that his contribution to NOT having to have ovaries and a uterus and birth children and then have this bodily assault afterwars was at minimum, a grand display of his award winning homemade toffee, and unbelievable chocolate fudge!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Don't know, but does anyone get cold flashes, too? I don't know how else to describe them. I will get this tingly, almost electric feeling, usually after a hot flash, followeed by a rush of cold. It is not the same as a cold chill or shivering (have had both when sick) - they only last two or three minutes. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lmrich said:

Don't know, but does anyone get cold flashes, too? I don't know how else to describe them. I will get this tingly, almost electric feeling, usually after a hot flash, followeed by a rush of cold. It is not the same as a cold chill or shivering (have had both when sick) - they only last two or three minutes. 

I haven't experienced this, but know I've read about it at some point, though I can't remember where....so others must have had something like it, as well.

1 hour ago, Green Bean said:

Sorry but just sounds like another “study” to convince us all to be vegetarians. Nopey nope nope. Some of us need cow to function properly. I tried no red meat and mostly veg in college and almost had a nervous breakdown. I could not think straight at all. Ate a steak, and it all went away. Human bodies are weird.

But if it helps others than great! We need all the helps and ideas we can get.

Well, as the saying goes, “A case of one does not make science”.  I’ll take scientific evidence over anecdotes any day when making decisions about health. I wouldn’t feel comfortable making medical recommendations without the science to back it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lmrich said:

Yes. I can endure cold better than heat, but yes. It's both. Hot flash followed by a cold tingle/chill. 🥵🥶

19 hours ago, KSera said:

I find the research and line of thinking in “Estrogen Matters” to be pretty compelling, after always having considered myself anti-HRT. I don’t know that sticking to my prior beliefs about that is worth making my life miserable over. Rather than ovaries being the problem and removing them being the answer, the problem seems to be when they stop functioning, which used to be closer to end of life than it is now with people living so long. The soy suggestion makes sense to me due to the estrogen like qualities. I always avoided it due to breast cancer concerns, but it seems the thinking may have shifted on that as well. 

People should know about their clotting risk before supplementing though. https://www.stoptheclot.org/learn_more/womens_health_faq/ 

17 hours ago, lmrich said:

I don't get cold, but I've had some tingly sensations at various times that I read can be associated with a hot flash or hormones.

• Like 1