Menu

How do you eat sandwich cookies - poll

Kassia

How do you eat sandwich cookies - poll  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How do you eat sandwich cookies (like Oreos, Nutter Butters, Vienna Fingers)?

• Open them before eating them
    • Eat them whole
    • other

1 minute ago, Harriet Vane said:

If it's an Oreo (back in the day when I could have gluten), I would open it up and scrape out all that nasty white stuff so I could enjoy the chocolate cookies properly. 

If it's any other sandwich cookie--especially macarons--everything stays together in a gorgeous marriage of flavors and textures.

There are GF Oreos!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

If it's an Oreo (back in the day when I could have gluten), I would open it up and scrape out all that nasty white stuff so I could enjoy the chocolate cookies properly. 

If it's any other sandwich cookie--especially macarons--everything stays together in a gorgeous marriage of flavors and textures.

So, I guess I eat cookies more frequently than I thought. I love macarons and have a local place that is amazing. For some reason though I just didn’t think of them as cookies. It’s like they are in their own separate category. They are eaten like a sandwich and never taken apart or dipped. 

• Like 1

I usually open one Oreo and eat the middle, then eat the cookie part, but then I’ll eat subsequent ones whole. That sounds like I eat a lot more Oreos than I do, though. 

most other sandwich cookies I eat whole, but I pry the top and bottom layers off of sugar wafers, and eat the them separately from the middle layer with the filling stuck to it.  

If I’m in public with people I don’t know well, I don’t play with my food nearly as much, though, and am much more likely to just eat it all whole.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Kassia said:

This is fascinating to me.  DH and I both agree (and we never agree on anything) that absolutely everyone opens the cookies and no one would ever eat them whole. 

See, this is fascinating to me because I am the opposite. I truly thought opening them up was just something done in commercials/shows because who in their right mind would commit such a crime?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

So, I guess I eat cookies more frequently than I thought. I love macarons and have a local place that is amazing. For some reason though I just didn’t think of them as cookies. It’s like they are in their own separate category. They are eaten like a sandwich and never taken apart or dipped. 

Yes, macarons truly deserve their own separate category. So pillowy and such gorgeous flavor. And I agree--taking them apart or dipping would be a desecration.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, math teacher said:

I've never heard of a maple cream sandwich cookie, but it sounds delicious!!

Canadian.   You can get all kinds of "Maple" things in Canada.  We also have maple cream cookies in our local grocery stores.  But, it's three hours to Vancouver.

We were in Waterton last summer and I got some Maple fudge . . . I need to make some . .  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Canadian.   You can get all kinds of "Maple" things in Canada.  We also have maple cream cookies in our local grocery stores.  But, it's three hours to Vancouver.

We were in Waterton last summer and I got some Maple fudge . . . I need to make some . .  

I live in OH in an area that is big on maple syrup production and we have all things maple here too (including the cookies).  We have a huge maple festival each year, a Maple Elementary school, maple roads, businesses named Maple ____, etc.  There's a store here with all maple products - creams, sugars, candy, popcorn, jerky, cookies, syrup (obviously), seasonings, ice cream...pretty much anything you can think of that they can flavor with maple!  

And those cookies are delicious.  But...always opened and never whole!  😛  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kassia said:

I live in OH in an area that is big on maple syrup production and we have all things maple here too (including the cookies).  We have a huge maple festival each year, a Maple Elementary school, maple roads, businesses named Maple ____, etc.  There's a store here with all maple products - creams, sugars, candy, popcorn, jerky, cookies, syrup (obviously), seasonings, ice cream...pretty much anything you can think of that they can flavor with maple!  

The person to whom I was responding wasn't familiar with them.

25 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

The person to whom I was responding wasn't familiar with them.

I'm sorry if I went on too long about maple products!  I guess I just got too enthusiastic about maple since it's such a big deal where I live.  I apologize if what I said was inappropriate or inconsiderate in any way.  ❤️ 

Do adults really eat like little piggies. I have a mental image of people sitting down for a cup of tea and biscuits(your cookies I guess) ripping them opened and licking out the icing. Do they do the same if they are served a piece of cake? Lick the frosting off first. I have to say that I am culturally shocked

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Do adults really eat like little piggies. I have a mental image of people sitting down for a cup of tea and biscuits(your cookies I guess) ripping them opened and licking out the icing. Do they do the same if they are served a piece of cake? Lick the frosting off first. I have to say that I am culturally shocked

Good point. I wouldn't do that in public!  

22 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Yes, yes we do!🤣 Life (and cookies) should be enjoyed (at least at home).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/3/2022 at 3:24 AM, Kassia said:

I'm pretty sure I know what community you are talking about and you live *very* close to one of my adult children. It also reminded me that dd wants some maple candy in her stocking.

4 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

I'm pretty sure I know what community you are talking about and you live *very* close to one of my adult children. It also reminded me that dd wants some maple candy in her stocking.

I'm pretty sure I know where you live too (big fire recently?) or I could be getting you mixed up with someone else.  Maple candy - yum!  Great stocking stuffer.  I should get some for my adult kids.  

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 7:04 PM, math teacher said:

I've never heard of a maple cream sandwich cookie, but it sounds delicious!!

If you have Aldi and Trader Joe's near you, they sometimes have them. At least, they do here in SE PA.  I usually buy one box a year. This year, my son and I agreed that the Aldi version is too sweet - the flavor is just sweet, not very mapley at all. I don't know if the cookies changed, or we did. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 2:53 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

Like I said, I totally do if I’m by myself or close friends/family but not so much in front of others. I do not lick the icing off of cake, though. That is a step too far. 😁

• Like 3

On 12/3/2022 at 3:53 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

It's totally an American thing, and yes, very common for Oreos. Not so common with other sandwich cookies, in my experience. 

As far as cake goes, I have seen people lick the frosting off a cupcake in a more casual, just-us-friends setting. At a dinner party, though, cake is eaten with a fork. Personally I am not a big fan of frosting and I eat it WITH the cake.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 3:53 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

I must say, we Americans can be very uncouth when it comes to desserts. It’s a holdover habit from childhood. Oreo runs entire  advertising campaigns based on taking apart their cookies to eat. Probably how we all got the idea in the first place! 

The setting does matter - taking apart the cookie is something I only do at home with family and only very very close friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I must say, we Americans can be very uncouth when it comes to desserts. It’s a holdover habit from childhood. Oreo runs entire  advertising campaigns based on taking apart their cookies to eat. Probably how we all got the idea in the first place! 

The setting does matter - taking apart the cookie is something I only do at home with family and only very very close friends.

Such memories! 😍

• Like 1