Menu

Walking incentives

happi duck

I am terrible about following through for myself.  

I need to get moving and normal walking is my best way to get started.

I find prizes, even virtual prizes like NaNoWriMo badges, motivating.

Does anyone use something that uses virtual or physical prizes and find it helps?  Recommendations?

Anyone have a homemade accountability system?

(I saw one with bracelets but they might not fit me which would be discouraging)

Years ago I would hang up a map and mark the route to a place I wanted to visit. After each walk I’d highlight progress. Then I always said I’d take a trip to that place when I walked the mileage to it. Start in a smaller radius from your house for better incentive. 

I also set goals within a few miles from home. I would walk there and enjoy coffee or something, and call dh or a kid when ready for a pickup. 

There used to be some “walk to” web pages, I remember one called Walk to Lothlorien, for literature walk goals/programs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I use some challenges but my tops have been - there are certain books or podcasts that I only allow myself to listen to while walking. And the fitbit community with friends to keep myself accountable - not to compete but to say "good lord I dont want Jane to see what a total bum I am" lol

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another virtual game to check out would be Pikmin Bloom. 

My DH and I play a GPS based game walking and biking on our phones, but it is competitive (in the sense that you steal gps based zones from other people, not that you need to be any kind of athlete or you need to win to enjoy playing)  and based in Europe so there aren't many places it is really rolling in the US.  That has really got me moving but it helps to have local outdoors groups that know about it.  That is HUGE in Norway and England/Scotland.

I use podcasts and audio books and those are huge motivators to me getting out there.  I usually only listen to those while walking.  

ETA - I had a fitbit for a while but I didn't have a friend group and it was almost TMI for me.  I use google timeline and really like tracking my monthly mileage and routes that way.  It isn't perfect, it does make errors.  But it's pretty gratifying getting the mail saying I did 60+ miles last month, 800+ miles last year, etc

Edited by catz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My parents are motivated to walk by their Apple Watch awards, DH is motivated to cycle and run by his Strava awards.

I find keeping track of my daily steps during my recovery to be rewarding, I like to see the progress in real numbers.

Several years ago my mom created a challenge for herself to walk every.single road in her city. It took her years, but she accomplished her goal! 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Are there places close to you that you go to regularly that you can walk to instead of driving? Ie. job, store, library, friend’s house, restaurant, theatre

Can you get a walking buddy? Join a group?  Is there a place near you that is nice to walk around ie. gardens, park, Main Street, nature trail, boardwalk etc.

could you listen to something while you walk?

• Thanks 1

I'm with you!  I love moving around and keeping busy, but I just can't get myself to walk without a purpose.  It's actually one of the reasons I swore I'd never live in a suburb (or where there's nothing to walk to, anyway), but either in a small town/community or inner-city neighborhood -- where errand-running is walkable.  

So, I either walk to run errands:  to the pharmacy, our bank, the little corner grocery, the farmer's market, the coffee shop where we get our milk (and good coffee!), the post office, etc.   Or I walk dogs.  Fortunately, my two dd's who live nearby seem to need a dog-sitter often, and I take them whenever I can, often for a week at a time.  I love, love going out 3-4 times/day with a dog.  

When none of those are happening, I'll shoot for my 10,000 steps, often listening to a podcast or oral books.  But specifically, ones that good friends or family have especially recommended to me -- even if I'm not especially interested in listening to them 😁; but that way I can listen to something that I know is important to people I care for and who wanted to share with me, and I don't feel like I'm wasting time because I'm working toward my steps goal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I reward myself while walking.  I have a podcast I like to listen to and it's one that isn't quite kid appropriate so I don't play it in the car.  It's only when I have my earbuds in, and that means only when walking.  Getting to listen to the next episode and not fall behind is fun for me and keeps me motivated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I don't really feel that motivated to walk, I'm hop a ride with a family member to a place, and then I have to walk home.

A friend of mine does walking challenges, where she gets "paid" for completing a certain distance. I don't know the name of the website or app, though. It motivates her, but it's not really my thing. I just love being outside walking and enjoying the birds, trees and sometimes even sunshine!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hilltopmom said:

I use the 99 Walks app-

I get motivational bracelets in the mail each month if I meet my goal 

Do you know of any similar apps? I think something in the mail would be motivating to me, but wondering if their are other options (chocolate? Edible cookie dough? 😂 or just something different every month). 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, KSera said:

Do you know of any similar apps? I think something in the mail would be motivating to me, but wondering if their are other options (chocolate? Edible cookie dough? 😂 or just something different every month). 

I expect a PM with the details if you find the one with the chocolate or the edible cookie dough. Those are incentives that could motivate me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I bought AfterShox and they are great for walking as they don’t fit in your ear so you can still hear traffic etc.   I then called a friend 900 miles away and we walked together.

i am also doing a 1000 hours outside challenge www.1000hoursoutside.con again this year.   I wasn’t sure I could do that many hours so I also did 1000 miles of outdoor activity….walking, biking, cross country skiing, etc

They have free printable charts for 1000 hours (or miles like I made it) or 100 hours.   I color code the hours by outside temp and the miles by activity.   Then I rewarded myself with the t shirt when I finished.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I bought AfterShox and they are great for walking as they don’t fit in your ear so you can still hear traffic etc.   I then called a friend 900 miles away and we walked together.

i am also doing a 1000 hours outside challenge www.1000hoursoutside.con again this year.   I wasn’t sure I could do that many hours so I also did 1000 miles of outdoor activity….walking, biking, cross country skiing, etc

They have free printable charts for 1000 hours (or miles like I made it) or 100 hours.   I color code the hours by outside temp and the miles by activity.   Then I rewarded myself with the t shirt when I finished.

That's such a great idea!  I wonder if I could do that with my good friend who lives in Australia...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, J-rap said:

That's such a great idea!  I wonder if I could do that with my good friend who lives in Australia...

My husband WhatsApp video his Australian cousins in Perth and Melbourne. Though he does that for chatting about bargain hunting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I reward myself while walking.  I have a podcast I like to listen to and it's one that isn't quite kid appropriate so I don't play it in the car.  It's only when I have my earbuds in, and that means only when walking.  Getting to listen to the next episode and not fall behind is fun for me and keeps me motivated.

Would you mind sharing what podcast  you like? I want to get into podcasts, but I just can't seem to

• Like 1

Apple Watch gives awards for movement, etc. 

But for walking specifically, I like the virtual races like Jenny linked. I did a few, and most have various things you can choose as your reward, from a medal to a shirt to whatever. I did this one with Yes Fit and got the coin - it's actuallly really pretty, and not as clunky as the medals are. Would be fun to get a little case or try to display them on as you collect them! https://yes.fit/races/elephants-thailand-virtual-race

There is an app to log your miles, and you can do a virtual tour via google earth on the website to see where you are on the path, which is kind of cool. Also, I made myself a printable to track each mile in Canva. I put a little elephant face for each mile, and crossed them off as I went. I kept it up on the fridge, which was motivating. 

• Thanks 1