Menu

What does one wear to a zoom interview?

Sneezyone

My practice has been that from the waist up I dress the way I would for an in-person interview.  So level of formality depends on the job/institution.  I have, in fact, done a suit top with pajama bottoms.

The super nice thing last January was not having to decide between dress shoes and snow boots for what would have been an on-campus interview.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Danae. Probably just as important is the presentation of your Zoom - make sure you camera is set a a good angle, lighting is good. If you wear glasses make sure they're not glaring too much - I have one pair that looks like reflective bug eyes on zoom, try to have an uncluttered background, and that your audio is coming through clearly. I practice with Zoom or my computer camera before I do meetings. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

I'm sure you did great, bedecked by greens and all.  Holding you in the light. When do you find out?

Not sure. I applied back in late November and interviews are running through Feb. 17. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Or, maybe that’s just how many slots they identified for people? Nothing about this has been fast.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

I'm rooting for you! In part because I will likely be trying to find a job in a year or three and I want to see other people reassuringly successful. Go Sneezy!

Good luck to you too! On a serious note, my husband wants to retire someday and my sister is high-need ATM. I need to find something. I had plans for my immediate family that were doable on one income but this extra mess has stretched us a bit too far. At least the job market is good right now. No one is batting an eyelash re: my employment gaps.

• Like 5

My husband had 5, FIVE, Zoom interviews for the new job he took last summer.  It was out of state and in the middle of Covid, so Zoom it was.  Definitely dress professionally, head to toe, just in case you have to stand for some reason (you never know).  Do a test run with background and lighting.  We had a whole set up in the dining room where we took down a picture so he had a solid wall behind him, we brought in a lamp that added nice light to his face at a flattering angle (the overhead dining room lights cast shadows and made him look really weird).  Check for glares, etc.  If there are windows, take into account the time of day the interview will be conducted.  Make sure any weird backgrounds/filters are turned off and your display name is as you want it.  Gather any papers and note-taking materials you'll need before you start, and maybe a water bottle if you think you'll need it.  Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, all! I applied all of the tips/tricks I learned as an online English teacher (including the lighting, raised camera, and makeup) and...no joke, LOL, the interviewers audibly inhaled and smiled when they opened the camera. These are EXCELLENT suggestions. I don't think most people apply them.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

My husband had 5, FIVE, Zoom interviews for the new job he took last summer.  It was out of state and in the middle of Covid, so Zoom it was.  Definitely dress professionally, head to toe, just in case you have to stand for some reason (you never know).  Do a test run with background and lighting.  We had a whole set up in the dining room where we took down a picture so he had a solid wall behind him, we brought in a lamp that added nice light to his face at a flattering angle (the overhead dining room lights cast shadows and made him look really weird).  Check for glares, etc.  If there are windows, take into account the time of day the interview will be conducted.  Make sure any weird backgrounds/filters are turned off and your display name is as you want it.  Gather any papers and note-taking materials you'll need before you start, and maybe a water bottle if you think you'll need it.  Good luck!

This employer is SHOCKINGLY slow to act given market conditions.

1 minute ago, Sneezyone said:

This employer is SHOCKINGLY slow to act given market conditions.

If they are a large bureaucracy, they may just be subject to the dynamics of that---waiting for department funding to be finalized, ranking the priorities of open positions within the headcount dollar constraints they have, opening the position but then getting held up by HR screening before interviews can happen, etc.  It can be crazy stupid how long it takes to go from posting a job to interviewing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If they are a large bureaucracy, they may just be subject to the dynamics of that---waiting for department funding to be finalized, ranking the priorities of open positions within the headcount dollar constraints they have, opening the position but then getting held up by HR screening before interviews can happen, etc.  It can be crazy stupid how long it takes to go from posting a job to interviewing.

Yep. This.

• Like 1

I would dress so that anything visible in the camera is similar to what I would wear for an in-person interview.  I would not necessarily wear a skirt or dress pants and dress shoes--I would dress comfortably, but I would not want to worry if for some reason the camera got knocked, I had to jump up because my smoke alarm went off, or something else that what the interviewers saw was not decent--but I think it would be normal to have on yoga pants or shorts with a dress top for a ZOOM interview.

I would try to check what I thought I would wear and see how it looks on the ZOOM screen.  I have a striped sweater that I get a lot of compliments on in-person.  I wore it one day for a ZOOM meeting, watched the recording and realized that the strips come across as busy, distorted, and looks like some kind of kaleidescope screen.  My sister has a shirt/sweater jacket she likes to wear and realized that on the ZOOM camera the scoop neck of the shirt combined with the shawl collar (and colors) of the sweater, could easily look like pajamas and robe on the ZOOM screen--she solved that with a scarf to tie the look together.   

• Like 1

I interviewed a few months back on Zoom.  I decided to prioritize my hair and accessories.  

I did a turtle neck and interesting necklace for one and a scoop neck t with a nice open front cardigan for the other.  I was interviewing for a managerial position but suits are not normative in my field and city so I didn’t wear one.  I did get the job.  

ETA: I see you have had the interview.  Yay, it sounds like things went well!  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

I interviewed a few months back on Zoom.  I decided to prioritize my hair and accessories.  

I did a turtle neck and interesting necklace for one and a scoop neck t with a nice open front cardigan for the other.  I was interviewing for a managerial position but suits are not normative in my field and city so I didn’t wear one.  I did get the job.  

ETA: I see you have had the interview.  Yay, it sounds like things went well!  

Your approach was my preferred one but, based on advice from here, I erred on the conservative side with a patterned scoop neck and solid shawl collar jacket. Turns out that was a good move b/c the job would require impromptu interaction with elected officials. The person I’d report to indicated being able to dress up/down to suit the audience w/o being told was a desired qualification.(I’d asked, based on what was said earlier, about dress expectations).

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

For those following along, hopeful, I have a second interview scheduled for tomorrow (wherein it seems like I'm getting the chance to clear up a few things/provide references that I omitted from my app...deliberately). So...yay! How else are you going to know they're looking, seriously, at you as a candidate if you don't keep something in reserve?!

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 14

15 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Your interview outfit sounds perfect - the zoom mullet! Business on top, party (or PJ's) on the bottom. 😁

I hope you get the position!! Fingers crossed.

The call I got today leads me to believe it's a 30-minute check-in-- largely a formality to obtain my references and clarify my salary preferences. I don't like it when references are contacted out of the blue and prefer to confirm willingness, phone numbers, and email addresses so that's what I'm doing this afternoon. *fingers crossed*

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Any updates, @Sneezyone?  I hope the interview went well today!!!

Ayup! I got an offer! Now I have to negotiate (which I really, really dislike). The initial offer was good, including a sign-on bonus, which is nice; it's just not what I want for a starting salary. I need to do some research this evening WRT pay for this type of role and then get back with them. All good things tho!

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Ok, for the sake of argument...THESE ARE NOT REAL FIGURES...

Let's say the offer is $50k/yr plus a $2500 sign on bonus and the (publicly available) range for people who hold this job title with this employer is $49-54k to start.

What do you ask for? For one thing, I don't want or need a signing bonus and for another, I'd be shooting myself in the foot with a ridiculously low starting salary if I take the initial offer. I don't think I can negotiate for extra PTO. Everyone is still working from home anyway so there's no point.

Master negotiators...pls. advise.

• Are inflationary pressures a good reason?
  • What about matching the salary of your last job?
Edited by Sneezyone

20 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Let's say the offer is $50k/yr plus a $2500 sign on bonus and the (publicly available) range for people who hold this job title with this employer is $49-54k to start.

What do you ask for? For one thing, I don't want or need a signing bonus and for another, I'd be shooting myself in the foot with a ridiculously low starting salary if I take the initial offer. I don't think I can negotiate for extra PTO. Everyone is still working from home anyway so there's no point.

In my organisation we look favourably on matching a previous salary if it was a similar job.

• Like 3

I had good luck starting with, "Perhaps you could tell me how you came up with the salary offer?"

It was an innocent question because I was genuinely clueless, but they didn't even explain, just upped the offer. It does let them take a turn in the awkward seat at least.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I had good luck starting with, "Perhaps you could tell me how you came up with the salary offer?"

It was an innocent question because I was genuinely clueless, but they didn't even explain, just upped the offer. It does let them take a turn in the awkward seat at least.

Ooooh, that's a good one (that I will definitely save for later). I had to respond by this afternoon and didn't feel comfy doing it over the phone so I put it in writing. I think they're gonna have to run it up their food chain and having my rationale in writing will probably help. Their budgets for positions are usually tight so I asked them to match my last job and keep the signing bonus. Hopefully they'll agree to that so we can move on.

• Like 1

Congratulations!  That is terrific.

On 3/2/2022 at 8:58 PM, Sneezyone said:

Hmm.

If (forex, not real numbers) they've offered 50K plus a 2500 bonus, then you know they've got at least 52,500 in this year's budget to work with.  So if you say I don't want/need a signing bonus but I'd like more base salary, say 51,500... they're in budget, and your future raises/COLA increases are off a higher base (which they can budget for, in subsequent budget cycles), so that's a comparatively easy "give" from their POV.

In any event, if your last salary > the offer, they should know your last salary. Even if they can't match it (if this is a grant-funded position or a non-profit or etc) they should KNOW it, so they're a bit nervous you might be poachable if they don't do as well for you as they can.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Congratulations!  That is terrific.

Hmm.

If (forex, not real numbers) they've offered 50K plus a 2500 bonus, then you know they've got at least 52,500 in this year's budget to work with.  So if you say I don't want/need a signing bonus but I'd like more base salary, say 51,500... they're in budget, and your future raises/COLA increases are off a higher base (which they can budget for, in subsequent budget cycles), so that's a comparatively easy "give" from their POV.

In any event, if your last salary > the offer, they should know your last salary. Even if they can't match it (if this is a grant-funded position or a non-profit or etc) they should KNOW it, so they're a bit nervous you might be poachable if they don't do as well for you as they can.

Yep. That’s exactly where I came out on the issue. I asked for my last salary and the bonus (using the not real numbers ) 54.5 plus half the bonus but indicated I’d be willing to forgo the bonus. I would much rather have the higher starting salary for all the reasons you mentioned. I didn’t hear back yesterday so I assume number crunching is going on.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Yep. That’s exactly where I came out on the issue. I asked for my last salary and the bonus (using the not real numbers ) 54.5 plus half the bonus but indicated I’d be willing to forgo the bonus. I would much rather have the higher starting salary for all the reasons you mentioned. I didn’t hear back yesterday so I assume number crunching is going on.

Hope the results are favorable!

• Thanks 1

Whelp, I took the job officially. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, GARDENING IS SO ON!! until I start. On the other hand, they weren't able to raise the pay from the initial offer. At least for the first year, it's fine. After that, all bets are off. My conversation with my boss-in-waiting was cathartic. She indicated that she understood how difficult this was for me and encouraged me to keep looking for the right leadership position, hopefully with the same employer (which I will do). Onboarding should start in about 10 days.

• Like 9