Menu

Why does my cat want to hang out in the fridge?

MEmama

Every time I open the refrigerator door Kitty manages to sneak past me. Once she’s inside she looks soooo pleased with herself and refuses to get out. I mean, it’s kinda cute but it’s also getting a bit much. 

Last night she meowed for a solid hour to be let into the fridge—why? Just why?!

D988B5F6-0885-46F5-B09F-662FF1BE41B7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 28
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

Is she...of a certain age?

Well…no. 🤣

And it’s not like our house is too warm, we keep it at 64 during the day. Plus she can go out on the 3 season porch— it’s freezing but available. She just prefers the fridge. 🤷‍♀️

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, wintermom said:

She's gorgeous! Love the markings. Do you have another shelving unit or closet she could hang out in that has a door you can close? My dd's cat loves to hide out in her closet on one of the shelves. She enjoys being packed in tight. 

Yeah, she has tons of quiet hiding areas. She goes through phases of places she likes to hang out, this is just her most recent. But of course it requires me to stand there holding the door open— I can’t very well close her inside! Lol

When I won’t let her in, she stands in front of the fridge while furiously shaking her tail and glaring at me while meowling. Like she’s just desperate to be refrigerated! Lol

• Haha 13

Lol!  Our cat likes to sit on top of piles of Legos (we joke that he is channeling his inner dragon on a hoard of treasure), and waits patiently for the dryer to finish running so he can hop inside the second we open the door...this despite the fact that once he got stuck inside it for a couple hours when someone absentmindedly closed the dryer door before leaving the house not noticing the cat was still sitting inside.  Overall I'd say he prefers warm places, so the fridge does seem surprising! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

You need about 20 jars of various pickles, pickled peppers, jams, jellies, etc. Then there will be no room for the cat! It works at my house. 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

Truthfully, I have no idea why your cat wants to hang out in there, but cats remember stuff so easily, so maybe someone shared a tasty treat with her out of there one day and she wants more. All it takes is one time and they will remember (and insist you repeat the action they liked) for a long, long time. We have inadvertently created monsters a couple times. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Terabith said:

The fridge is where all the yummy things like poultry and cheese are!

That is true, but as you can see it’s kinda empty at the moment. Lol. She’s truly not asking for food or trying to get at anything interesting, she just hangs out at the very back and smiles to herself. Lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MEmama said:

That is true, but as you can see it’s kinda empty at the moment. Lol. She’s truly not asking for food or trying to get at anything interesting, she just hangs out at the very back and smiles to herself. Lol

Maybe she just likes it because it’s a box?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My tabby does the same thing!  In our case, she IS trying to get to any kind of food.  The bad part is that she has been shut inside more than once.  Luckily, it was never for very long.  She will slip in as the door is closing without anyone noticing.  One would think this would deter her, but no.  She still tried every time she sees a chance.  So, I now have to remember to do a "cat check" before leaving the kitchen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, skimomma said:

My tabby does the same thing!  In our case, she IS trying to get to any kind of food.  The bad part is that she has been shut inside more than once.  Luckily, it was never for very long.  She will slip in as the door is closing without anyone noticing.  One would think this would deter her, but no.  She still tried every time she sees a chance.  So, I now have to remember to do a "cat check" before leaving the kitchen.

Our kitten does this in kitchen cabinets— even upper cabinets. Cat checks are an essential part of kitchen duties here, too; I cant even count how many times she’s been closed in. She never seems to mind but I sure do! 

• Like 3

Maybe she's hungry and it seems like a nice, quiet place?  Just make sure everyone in the family knows she jumps in there, and looks before they close the door!  My friend had a cat who used to always jump in the fridge.  One night her dad was having a midnight snack, and didn't notice that the cat jumped in the open fridge.  The next morning, her mom was so surprised when the cat jumped out!  She was alright, but very cold!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, J-rap said:

Maybe she's hungry and it seems like a nice, quiet place?  Just make sure everyone in the family knows she jumps in there, and looks before they close the door!  My friend had a cat who used to always jump in the fridge.  One night her dad was having a midnight snack, and didn't notice that the cat jumped in the open fridge.  The next morning, her mom was so surprised when the cat jumped out!  She was alright, but very cold!

Poor kitty! 
I hope that experience cured her of that particular curiosity! 

• Like 2

I'd keep an eye out for any other hyperthyroid symptoms. It's probably likely that she's just exhibiting normal cat weirdness, but hyperthyroidism is common in cats, so thought I'd mention it just in case.

Heat intolerance is a subtle sign that may be observed by cat owners. Most normal cats seek warm, sunny places to sleep. Hyperthyroid cats may reverse this heat-seeking behavior and sleep in cool places, such as the bath tub or a cool tile floor (see Fig. 4-4, C).

(You can of course find lots of info on feline hyperthyroidism on the internet, and looks like many state that heat intolerance is a symptom. I linked to that one 'cause it's a blurb from what appears to be a rather authoritative textbook.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'd keep an eye out for any other hyperthyroid symptoms. It's probably likely that she's just exhibiting normal cat weirdness, but hyperthyroidism is common in cats, so thought I'd mention it just in case.

(You can of course find lots of info on feline hyperthyroidism on the internet, and looks like many state that heat intolerance is a symptom. I linked to that one 'cause it's a blurb from what appears to be a rather authoritative textbook.)

Thanks for the info! 

We actually refer to her as the Sun Queen— she can typically be found in a ray of sunshine. She’s like a sun dial, moving about the downstairs and soaking up the warmth. 🙂  The refrigerator thing is new; I’m going with cat weirdness but I agree it’s always good to be on the lookout for bigger issues.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

One of ours likes the dishwasher. The whole family is trained to do a kitty check before closing it up.

Our kitten loves the dishwasher, too! And playing in the kitchen sink. She loves drinking water out of all the faucets and doesn’t mind getting wet at all. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

14 hours ago, J-rap said:

I'm sure the mom was more traumatized than the cat!

• Haha 2

On 2/8/2022 at 5:16 AM, MEmama said:

Every time I open the refrigerator door Kitty manages to sneak past me. Once she’s inside she looks soooo pleased with herself and refuses to get out. I mean, it’s kinda cute but it’s also getting a bit much. 

Last night she meowed for a solid hour to be let into the fridge—why? Just why?!

D988B5F6-0885-46F5-B09F-662FF1BE41B7.jpeg

Wait, why is our cat in your refrigerator?

For what it's worth our very similar looking cat stalks the fridge door. Smart enough, methinks, to know that's where the food comes from. Only jumped inside once (so far).

Bill

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Wait, why is our cat in your refrigerator?

For what it's worth our very similar looking cat stalks the fridge door. Smart enough, methinks, to know that's where the food comes from. Only jumped inside once (so far).

Bill

Watch out, more fridge antics might be in your kitty's future, @Spy Car. Her test run was merely to scout out the goods—I’d watch her closely, but if she ever goes missing you know where to look first. 😉 

Also, your cat is beautiful, Bill! 🤣

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Watch out, more fridge antics might be in your kitty's future, @Spy Car. Her test run was merely to scout out the goods—I’d watch her closely, but if she ever goes missing you know where to look first. 😉 

Also, your cat is beautiful, Bill! 🤣

I'm wondering mackerel tabbies, in addition to being quite fetching, are also gluttons? LOL

I thought cats are supposed to be "picky?" Desmond seems like he will eat anything.

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wathe said:

So cute.

It brings to mid the chapter from Mr Popper's Penguins. in which the poppers modify their fridge so the their penguin let himself in and out.  

Maybe you need to install a cat-flap in the fridge door 🙂

A cat door would be very popular! If a bit dangerous, given the rotisserie chickens on the lower shelf at the moment…🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1