Menu

I need beds, yesterday, suggestions? Color question at the bottom

Drama Llama

If we're moving back to our house, then there should be furniture.  I want to move into a house that's ready. But I'm going to leave our old beds where they are at FIL's house, so DH can sleep (obviously) and so the kids have a safe space that's just their when we get to the point that they're visiting more. 

So, I need a bed, maybe a nice comfy queen, and the kids need beds.  They are giant kids, so i think they need full sized beds, but they like to share a room and there is not much floor space so maybe full over full bunks?  But ones that can change to two full beds for when they are ready to split up?

Anyway?  Suggestions on beds? 

ETA: I hate stores, and there's covid, and I have no time, and I am not picky about what I sleep on.  So nice sturdy comfy not too expensive beds I can order?  Is too much to ask for?  That come next week?  

Can I order a bed through prime?

Edited by Baseballandhockey

Yep, so when I moved out and had no furniture, the cheapest thing that was functional was those folding platform frames from Amazon (they're metal) and Zinus twin mattresses from Walmart - very comfortable, cheap, durable, and easy to move (because they expand, so they come in a box that you can wheel out to the car, etc.). You can order them through Amazon if you don't want to do Walmart, I think it's the same product.

No advice about bunks. But the advantage of the folding metal platform frames is that they're super easy to set up - you unfold them, move the little bracing thing down, and there you have it. No construction involved.

• Like 1

Just now, Ceilingfan said:

Yep, so when I moved out and had no furniture, the cheapest thing that was functional was those folding platform frames from Amazon (they're metal) and Zinus twin mattresses from Walmart - very comfortable, cheap, durable, and easy to move (because they expand, so they come in a box that you can wheel out to the car, etc.). You can order them through Amazon if you don't want to do Walmart, I think it's the same product.

No advice about bunks. But the advantage of the folding metal platform frames is that they're super easy to set up - you unfold them, move the little bracing thing down, and there you have it. No construction involved.

The folding things would be fine for my room, that's what we have at the other house,  but I don't think I can fit two full sized beds in the boys room if they aren't bunked, and I don't want to pay for twin mattresses for the interim and replace them.  

I have 

My adult sized kids are still in bunk beds. The issue hasn’t been the width of the bed (full versus twin), it’s that the bunk bed mattresses aren’t as comfy as a true mattress over a true box spring now that they are at adult weights. If I were to be buying beds for a new house now, I would be trying to make twin beds side by side work somehow….maybe in a L-shape layout or something. 

The weight issue came into play around the 120-130# mark….age 12-14.

• Like 3

Ceilingfan's idea sounds good, so I was just going to add on the bed size that unless by giant kids you are talking 200+ pound kids, I wouldn't think you would need more than a twin. All of our kids have used twins until college, and of course that's all that is available in college dorms. My siblings and I all had twins until we got our own places, too. Twins seem a lot easier for space, and save money as well.

• Like 6

If you're set on bunks I would totally get something on facebook marketplace (just the frame, though, probably not mattresses) and have whoever it is deliver. That way they'd be mostly put together and you wouldn't have to do much, and you save a lot that way too. I'd stick with the Zinus mattresses because I love them so, but ime facebook marketplace is good for last minute furniture.

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Ceilingfan's idea sounds good, so I was just going to add on the bed size that unless by giant kids you are talking 200+ pound kids, I wouldn't think you would need more than a twin. All of our kids have used twins until college, and of course that's all that is available in college dorms. My siblings and I all had twins until we got our own places, too. Twins seem a lot easier for space, and save money as well.

Did they use twins on bunk beds though?  The current bunk bed we have now, the top bunk when used as designed has a railing that goes all the way around.  Like a crib with very short sides.  My pediatrician predicts the kid that sleeps up there will be 6'5" or so.  That's longer than the mattress.  His brother would be able to hang his toes off the side, or something but he'd be stuck. 

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing though, and he'd curl up.  This is my kid who can sleep ANYWHERE.  

We stayed at a condo with full over full bunks and they were nice. This set on Amazon has the most reviews and it looks like it can split into two real beds when you are ready for that.

https://www.amazon.com/Full-Teens-Detachable-Frame-Trundle/dp/B081G7HMSW/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?adgrpid=58900601194&gclid=CjwKCAiAl-6PBhBCEiwAc2GOVIt0b_ETyklg_1qrvZOK7l29gxdIRz5yTIQRbyoiaDqvPn5r56EPLRoCtVwQAvD_BwE&hvadid=274733906761&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9030785&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12723242221276260723&hvtargid=kwd-317499505628&hydadcr=13536_9594947&keywords=full+over+full+bunk+bed+ikea&qid=1643954109&sr=8-12

My neighbor recommends Walmart’s version of a Zinus mattress in a box. They have both the queen and king sizes and love them. Walmart bed-in-a-box reviews: https://www.abedderworld.com/walmart-mattress-buyers-guide.html/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 6'3" kiddo still sleeps on his twin bunk with no problem.  And no feet hanging off either.  He's does curl up a bit but he does that even when he sleeps on a couch or longer bed too.  IF you are concerned about length I know they make extra long twin mattresses.  I'm sure there are bunk beds out there to fit the longer mattresses but I'm guessing you would have to hunt a bit to find them.

• Like 2

We use the Amazon metal bed frames and mattresses, too.  My older kids have an additional form pad on top.

I really just wanted to say, gently, that you don't have to make tomorrow's decisions today.  You need a set of bunk beds, a metal platform, and 3 mattresses.  Just do that for now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thewellerman said:

We use the Amazon metal bed frames and mattresses, too.  My older kids have an additional form pad on top.

I really just wanted to say, gently, that you don't have to make tomorrow's decisions today.  You need a set of bunk beds, a metal platform, and 3 mattresses.  Just do that for now.

I am confused.  I said I wanted a set of bunk beds, a metal platform and three mattresses.

You seem to be saying don’t do that, instead get a set of bunk beds, a metal platform and three mattress.

What is the difference between them? 

One thing to consider with tall kiddos that has worked well here is extra long bunk beds like they have on college campuses.  My son has a extra long double under extra long twin.  The beds will freestand on their own too which is nice, we sent one to oldest college apartment.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, catz said:

One thing to consider with tall kiddos that has worked well here is extra long bunk beds like they have on college campuses.  My son has a extra long double under extra long twin.  The beds will freestand on their own too which is nice, we sent one to oldest college apartment.  

Do you remember where you got it?  

I second the extra long bed.  My 6'4 and not skinny husband slept on them all the way through college and was fine.  It's what my 6'1 (so far) teen requested because he didn't want to give up floor space in his room.  We got his from Purple, which isn't especially cheap but we love them (we don't get the fancier versions - just the basic purple, a set of their sheets, and the bed frame that they sell).  Like I said, it's not cheap, although with the right frame you don't need separate box springs, but it does ship to your door.  The couple of times that we've gotten a mattress from them everybody likes to gather around and watch the thing expand - it's cool to watch it go from a tight roll into a bed.  đŸ™‚Â Â 

I’d also suggest XL twins. I’d do the cheapie metal beds underneath, but if they wanted to bunk or loft them I’d let them find plans online & do it. Wood prices have gone down a bit but they still aren’t cheap. And if they choose the right plan they’ll be able to take them apart easily and take the loft kits with them to a dorm when the time comes. 

1 hour ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I am confused.  I said I wanted a set of bunk beds, a metal platform and three mattresses.

You seem to be saying don’t do that, instead get a set of bunk beds, a metal platform and three mattress.

What is the difference between them? 

I was saying it was ok to not try to think through all the things a bed might need to be in the future: extra long, full, stacking, etc.  Since you need them now, not expensive, and don't know the future, just grabbing any okay-ish option is going to be fine.  

• Like 3

I’d personally do Facebook marketplace to get beds asap. I briefly peeked at my local one and could get three good beds today. I hate assembling when I’m in a hurry so that would appeal to me. If that didn’t work, we’ve had good success with furniture from wayfair and mattresses from Amazon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thewellerman said:

I was saying it was ok to not try to think through all the things a bed might need to be in the future: extra long, full, stacking, etc.  Since you need them now, not expensive, and don't know the future, just grabbing any okay-ish option is going to be fine.  

Except mattresses cost hundreds of dollars.  So, grabbing a couple and then planning on replacing later with the right size doesn't seem like a solution.  

So I dug around on our x-long bunk and when we got ours it was carried at local store that had some configurable University Loft Bed furniture on the showroom floor.  Well, we aren't shoppers either.  We did our research online and just walked to order and set up delivery.  There are some companies like that who will do online orders and shipping though ...

https://www.collegebedlofts.com/order-bunk-bed.html#order_form

My boys are 15 and 17, about 5'9 and 6'0. They have had twin bunks for about 10 years because their room is also quite small -- about 10x10. They really started to dislike them a couple of years ago and we just separated them into separate beds a few months ago. Their room is now jam-packed with the beds, a desk and a dresser, but having separate beds works much better for them. Not once have they ever expressed that their twin beds to are too small. There is a possibility we may move to a larger house where they would share a much larger room and there has been no mention of wanting or needing bigger beds.

Our 12 yo daughter also has a twin and would get a larger room to herself in a new house and she does not want a bigger bed either - she likes her twin size bed. 

Edited by Insertcreativenamehere

DS that is predicted to be 6' 4" is a side sleeper who curls up his legs, so the length of the mattress does not matter.

I think Sam's is having or recently had a sale on mattresses. We got one for DS there because they had some with extra cushion, and he needs that due to some orthopedic issues related to his connective tissue disorder.

I drew out a map of the room, with doors etc . . . I can't get 2 twins in there and open the door to the closet.  I thought this would be true, since I can't open them with the trundle extended, but I thought that maybe there was a floor plan I was missing.  

They've had bunk beds since my younger kid moved out of a toddler bed, until we moved to their grandfather's house.  Their bedroom there is bigger than the entire 2nd floor of our house.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I drew out a map of the room, with doors etc . . . I can't get 2 twins in there and open the door to the closet.  I thought this would be true, since I can't open them with the trundle extended, but I thought that maybe there was a floor plan I was missing.  

They've had bunk beds since my younger kid moved out of a toddler bed, until we moved to their grandfather's house.  Their bedroom there is bigger than the entire 2nd floor of our house.  

3 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Yeah, I would just get the twin XL bunks and I think it will be fine. 

I have 2 kids who have full size beds because their rooms needed to double for guest rooms. They both wish they could have the twin beds back. They'd rather have the floor space. And my ds14 is 5 ft 11

Another option would be look at college style furniture where the xl twins can be bunked or lofted or even turned into an L shape with the foot of the lower bed under the foot of the upper bed (that is higher than norm but lower than a top bunk).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceilingfan said:

Yep those zinus mattresses are excellent; I've had them for 2 years now (and not the super fanciest ones! I get the 8" ones I think) for all 7 twin beds we own, and they're still great. 

The frames have held up as well - we had one of their daybeds in the playroom turned DD4's room and it gets used and abused, and another in another room, also used and abused, and have held up really reallywell. 

7 hours ago, Katy said:

I’d also suggest XL twins. I’d do the cheapie metal beds underneath, but if they wanted to bunk or loft them I’d let them find plans online & do it. Wood prices have gone down a bit but they still aren’t cheap. And if they choose the right plan they’ll be able to take them apart easily and take the loft kits with them to a dorm when the time comes. 

In theory I like this idea, because it builds on their strengths.

But right now, I think that when we move home, it needs to be set up to feel like home, and feel permanent. 

Also, logistically, the woodworking shop where it would make sense to build that is in the basement of the house where their Dad lives, and that's just awkward right now.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Personally I would take the existing beds along and backfill those, making a vocal commitment to do so to avoid hurt feelings.  Everyone needs a good place to sleep right away, that is the priority.

Honestly, I need to think about messaging to DH.  I think that saying to him "we're working towards the goal of you having visitation, including overnight visitation, and maybe joint custody or us moving back" and also taking the furniture out of their room there, seems to be mixed messaging.  

Plus, the mattresses they have are old.  I'm sure whatever new ones I get will be comfier, so they should probably have the better ones in the place where I sleep.  

We will probably move next Saturday, the 12th.  I am thinking between Amazon and IKEA I can get something in place by then.  

• Like 4