Menu

Am I just old?

DawnM

I imagine there are thousands of small businesses who still do not do direct deposit of payroll and who write checks out for a lot of invoices.  Most of our invoices are paid by a credit card kept on file, but many of our smaller vendors prefer a check.  WE prefer a customer pays with check vs a credit card that we have to pay a percentage on....

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Direct deposit was absolutely the expectation both for DDs summer job as a lifeguard and her current one as a grocery cashier. She learned how to write a check but has never actually used one. 

When my mom worked for the university they went to direct deposit only

But where I work they still write quite a few checks for our company for employees who prefer that. But we also issue checks to suppliers, etc. as well as having others direct deposited.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I imagine there are thousands of small businesses who still do not do direct deposit of payroll and who write checks out for a lot of invoices.  Most of our invoices are paid by a credit card kept on file, but many of our smaller vendors prefer a check.  WE prefer a customer pays with check vs a credit card that we have to pay a percentage on....

Many of the bigger small business/contractors I work with for our house project add a surcharge for credit cards so I pay by check. I don't see that being in effect by the time DD is a homeowner. It's really anachronistic. Just build that flexibility into your pricing upfront.

I feel for the marketing content writers who have to come up with New! Exciting! ways to pull in potential and repeat customers with weekly or sometimes even daily ad copy.  A lot of them are going to Meme / Text speak to do it.  I am not offended.  But I also delete 99.9% of it without clicking on it.  The .1% is when it happens to be something I am actually looking for at that moment. 

• Like 3

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

I feel for the marketing content writers who have to come up with New! Exciting! ways to pull in potential and repeat customers with weekly or sometimes even daily ad copy.  A lot of them are going to Meme / Text speak to do it.  I am not offended.  But I also delete 99.9% of it without clicking on it.  The .1% is when it happens to be something I am actually looking for at that moment. 

Daily marketting emails get themselves unsubscribed

• Like 1

I'm old with you.  Not impressed to see that as email for ad.

I remember a time about a decade ago now when my oldest was in high school. one of the church youth leaders was posting something on the group facebook. she (the leader person) was expressing surprise or other emotion with her post that included WTF.  If there was a way to say silence filled the cyber air, well, silence filled the cyber air.  The leader honestly did not know what that meant.  ha ha ha.   Being the polite person to help out I posted "I think in context she has to mean Watch The Forecast.  you know, it might rain and we have to cancel. "  It all got deleted and we all laughed at how the leader truly did not know. bless her heart. 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, cbollin said:

I'm old with you.  Not impressed to see that as email for ad.

I remember a time about a decade ago now when my oldest was in high school. one of the church youth leaders was posting something on the group facebook. she (the leader person) was expressing surprise or other emotion with her post that included WTF.  If there was a way to say silence filled the cyber air, well, silence filled the cyber air.  The leader honestly did not know what that meant.  ha ha ha.   Being the polite person to help out I posted "I think in context she has to mean Watch The Forecast.  you know, it might rain and we have to cancel. "  It all got deleted and we all laughed at how the leader truly did not know. bless her heart. 

I find that story really sad. Not using various terms or expressions because they're objectionable doesn't mean one should be ignorant of them or their meaning. I see that as a failure that could have been prevented. My bestie recently said she was told a prospective date was into black bananas. I *knew* what that meant, and so did she, but if she hadn't? OMG! It was also 200% accurate and the guy was trash.

8 hours ago, hjffkj said:

You're not alone, it doesn't bother me at all. I imagine the company is reaching for a specific demographic there that just doesn't think there is anything wrong with cursing. For me, if it isn't directed at a person cursing simply doesn't even register as out of the ordinary. 

The most honest reaction I have to the advertisement is 'still behind the times' since I don't think most people use wtf regularly anymore.

What are they using now? 

(Asking for an old fogey friend.)

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I had a conversation with my kids about how while I don't believe God is offended, I would prefer they didn't say OMG, because some people think of it as disrespectful.  I got the same blank look.  My kids aren't thinking "Oh My God", they are literally thinking "Oh Em Gee".  In their mind "Oh Em Gee" which is a word with a specific meaning to them.  It hadn't really crossed their minds that the letters stood for something.  

Similarly, I'm not sure that in their mind writing WTF is the same as the original saying.  So, in their mind it's not swearing.  

What do they say these abbreviations mean?

22 minutes ago, TechWife said:

What do they say these abbreviations mean?

I think he said something like “Oh Em Gee means like ‘Wow!  I can’t believe it!”  

They know what they stand for now, because I told them but I still don’t think they are thinking “Oh my God!”  When they say it.

• Like 2

I hear people say, “Well, everyone says it (f bomb) now. It’s just every day life”.

I don’t begrudge anyone their f bombs if that makes them happy. But in advertising? Book titles? And like situations? I mean, have we forgotten what that word actually means? It’s just….yuck. Guess I’m old, too. 

Editing to get back up on soapbox: Is it really a good thing to accept it as ok just because, well, we all say it so now it’s ok?

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Similarly, I'm not sure that in their mind writing WTF is the same as the original saying.  So, in their mind it's not swearing.  

I used the phrase "that sucks" all the time as a teenager. (Actually I still do!)  I was literally stunned when someone told me it originally had a sexual meaning.  It had no other meaning to me than something was bad.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

I hear people say, “Well, everyone says it (f bomb) now. It’s just every day life”.

I don’t begrudge anyone their f bombs if that makes them happy. But in advertising? Book titles? And like situations? I mean, have we forgotten what that word actually means? It’s just….yuck. Guess I’m old, too. 

Editing to get back up on soapbox: Is it really a good thing to accept it as ok just because, well, we all say it so now it’s ok?

It really is ok to accept that words and phrases mean different things in different eras, yes. Acronyms? Meh. People have been subbing their own F bombs forever—freaking, frigging, fudge, fricking, etc.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

I'm older (yesterday was the 40th anniversary of my engagement) - However my older siblings used that sort of language all. the. time. when they were teens (I was nine). - no abbreviations, they used the full words.  Still do - just not as much.

I still think it's inappropriate.  They think they're edgy.   Instead, it displays a poor vocabulary and lack of originality.  SWB had a great quote about it in one of her books, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

I can still chuckle at David Niven hosting the Oscars.  A streaker ran across the stage.  He just calmly said "some people have to show off their lack of assets."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I find that story really sad. Not using various terms or expressions because they're objectionable doesn't mean one should be ignorant of them or their meaning. I see that as a failure that could have been prevented. My bestie recently said she was told a prospective date was into black bananas. I *knew* what that meant, and so did she, but if she hadn't? OMG! It was also 200% accurate and the guy was trash.

Pssst, I don't know what that means. 

I googled and got a clothing brand and a band. I suspect neither of those are what the dude was into?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think WTF is cool, but it's just one of many things in that category these days.

FTR I cuss in private, but I would never ever think of including a cuss word in any business-related correspondence or conversation.  Or other crude language.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Pssst, I don't know what that means. 

I googled and got a clothing brand and a band. I suspect neither of those are what the dude was into?

I don't either, and I'm not about to google it.  I am OK being ignorant about some things.

When a "mature" scene comes up in a movie at home (nowadays normal even in PG movies), I look away and say "I'm not old enough for this kind of content."  Even if my kids are sitting there watching it.

If they want to put something on my gravestone about me being ignorant, let them.  😛

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Garga said:

I’ve seen a lot of articles with titles that have AF in them. I can’t think of one now, but I really dislike the trend. As others have said—too unprofessional for me.

My friend and I joke about this.   We will add it to very benign things (only to each other as a joke).   So, for example....."I need to get the car's oil changed.   It is over due AYYYYY EFFFFF!"   With a big emphasis.....

I find it ridiculous, so joking about it has been fun, but only with her.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I do find it in appropriate in advertising and am still always a bit shocked by it. 
I bought a can of soup and the brand was “Well Yes”. I first did a double take “does that soup say Hell Yes?”. Maybe that isn’t the implication but I’m so used to that kind of stuff that I just assumed it was. I didn’t think too hard…I still bought the soup…but I thought it strange. 

I’m not a prude about language in books or tv but sometimes it feels like it has gotten so over the top that I find it creeping into my own thoughts. I’m dropping f bombs in my head like never before. Then I’m shocked at myself. Lol. It is very pervasive. And I guess I’m young enough to be dropping f bombs in my head and old enough to be shocked by it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I can still chuckle at David Niven hosting the Oscars.  A streaker ran across the stage.  He just calmly said "some people have to show off their lack of assets."

giggle.  I just watched that clip on youtube and chuckling right along with you.  It was just handled like the absurd moment it was.  The audience reaction is laughter.  The band strikes up a tune while everyone is laughing.  ah, nothing like laughter to diffuse the weirdness. yep.

The full quote was: "Well Ladies and Gentlemen. That was bound to happen."   the audience laughs, and settles down and then Niven continued "Isn't it fascinating to think that probably the only laugh that man will ever get in life is by stripping off and showing his shortcomings?" 

now, do I find the  Ray Stevens song (the Streak) for another laugh this very cold morning.  LOL.

Edited by cbollin
weird typo

I happen to not be bothered a single bit by the use of cuss words. (Assuming they’re not being flung at me, as a person, for no legitimate reason.)
However, I get SUPER ick-ed out by advertisements that repurpose risqué songs.  Is it Discover that’s currently using Shaggy’s “Wasn’t Me”?  I don’t want to be thinking about what was happening on the counter OR in the shower while I’m whipping out my card to pay for my purchases.
And yet, hearing it on the radio in its original form isn’t a problem for me.  I can either jam out or turn it off.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

I do find it in appropriate in advertising and am still always a bit shocked by it. 
I bought a can of soup and the brand was “Well Yes”. I first did a double take “does that soup say Hell Yes?”. Maybe that isn’t the implication but I’m so used to that kind of stuff that I just assumed it was. I didn’t think too hard…I still bought the soup…but I thought it strange. 

I’m not a prude about language in books or tv but sometimes it feels like it has gotten so over the top that I find it creeping into my own thoughts. I’m dropping f bombs in my head like never before. Then I’m shocked at myself. Lol. It is very pervasive. And I guess I’m young enough to be dropping f bombs in my head and old enough to be shocked by it. 

This is the reason I don't like casual swearing in my books, etc. And I choose to not be around it as much as I can. Because when I am it invades my thoughts and then its just a slip to out of my lips.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

I happen to not be bothered a single bit by the use of cuss words. (Assuming they’re not being flung at me, as a person, for no legitimate reason.)
However, I get SUPER ick-ed out by advertisements that repurpose risqué songs.  Is it Discover that’s currently using Shaggy’s “Wasn’t Me”?  I don’t want to be thinking about what was happening on the counter OR in the shower while I’m whipping out my card to pay for my purchases.
And yet, hearing it on the radio in its original form isn’t a problem for me.  I can either jam out or turn it off.  

Nodding. My DH was like…is this really happening right now?🤣

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I kind of liked the Salt-N-Peppa "Push It" ad a few years ago when they showed up in the elevator, to the birth, etc. I don't actually remember what they were advertising though, so in that sense I guess it didn't do its job. 

2 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

I found it by adding urban dictionary after the terms. It was pretty clear. 😂

I feel old every time I have to look something up in Urban Dictionary. 

And if I ever have any doubt that I'm old, my 14 y/o is always ready to remind me. 🙂

1 hour ago, mellifera33 said:

I feel old every time I have to look something up in Urban Dictionary. 

And if I ever have any doubt that I'm old, my 14 y/o is always ready to remind me. 🙂

There have been times I asked my kids what something meant and I get a shocked stare, either "Mom, you don't want to know!" or "You don't know that, Mom?!" I can't win! 😂😂

17 hours ago, goldberry said:

I used the phrase "that sucks" all the time as a teenager. (Actually I still do!)  I was literally stunned when someone told me it originally had a sexual meaning.  It had no other meaning to me than something was bad.

Same! I was probably like 16 when I figured out why my mom was so offended by the phrase and didn't want me using it. :blush:

My mom and dad are so fed up with the state of the world right now that they use profanity much more than they used to...I'm guessing I could get away with saying something "sucks" now. 😉 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

There is enough that is crude and ugly in the world. No need to add to it with unnecessary expletives. 

Yeah, and it just gradually paves the way, inch by inch, for even more ugliness to be accepted as the norm as time goes by. Not just words, but behaviors, attitudes, etc. Just my opinion. Others can freely disagree. It’s fine. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Yeah, and it just gradually paves the way, inch by inch, for even more ugliness to be accepted as the norm as time goes by. Not just words, but behaviors, attitudes, etc. Just my opinion. Others can freely disagree. It’s fine. 

On the contrary, I find that ugly behaviors and attitudes are becoming less accepted. You can't just casually refer to somebody by a slur, nor say that certain people should not have the same rights as others. All that was accepted within human memory.

I'd much rather hear somebody use "the f word" than hear them say "the r word" or the OTHER "f word" or the "n word".

One of those words is a collection of sounds, little different from duck or fun. The other three are actually ugly and display ugly attitudes.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

On the contrary, I find that ugly behaviors and attitudes are becoming less accepted. You can't just casually refer to somebody by a slur, nor say that certain people should not have the same rights as others. All that was accepted within human memory.

I'd much rather hear somebody use "the f word" than hear them say "the r word" or the OTHER "f word" or the "n word".

One of those words is a collection of sounds, little different from duck or fun. The other three are actually ugly and display ugly attitudes.

I see that. I think you’re right. I do agree, but I also think that people, in general, show more entitlement mentality now than before. More chips on shoulders. Some things have gotten better and some worse. FWIW, the f word is just one of those words that I personally dislike, along with a few others, including some racial ones. The f bomb is now deeply ingrained in our culture, for better or for worse. I’m around people all the time who use that word, though. I just stay neutral about it on the surface, but I know it’s a word with a crass meaning. That’s just how it comes across to my brain when I hear it. But I agree with your saying words that convey ugly attitudes about others are really bad, and I’m glad the tolerance for those seem to be lessening among mainstream people. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

I submit that certain forms of ugliness are less acceptable now than in the past. That is good! Other forms are on the rise. I agree that racial slurs are a bigger deal than profanity, but the OP posted about profanity in advertising. Ime, coarse, crude, vulgar, and profane language is on the rise. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1