Menu

What games are you playing this week?

Hilltopmom

We are feeling ambitious over here & in addition to my challenge to read a book a day for me this school break, we want to try out a new game or three each day. (& the kids chose a few old ones too)- note: these were not all Xmas presents… I overbought last year during quarantine winter, some they weren’t ready for yet

yesterday- Uno Flip, Taco cat Goat Cheese Pizza (so much fun & easy!), Blink, mancala

today- Azul, go nuts for donuts, sushi go

others in our pile this week:

Ghost Fighting Treasure Hunters

My Little Scythe

Pebble Rock Delivery System

Santorini

Dragonwood

Bloom

Gotta get off my phone so I can learn Azul 🙂

happy board gaming everyone!

• Like 2

Here is what we have played so far ....

Santa Cookie Elf Candy Snowman (Christmas version of "Taco Cat, etc....)  The kids - age 13, 17, 22 -think that this is hilarious.  I am over it already, but it will be fun to play a few times each Christmas

Unstable Unicorns - I think that this one has potential, and we might get some expansions.  It is very much like Fluxx, which is probably my favorite game right now.

My son got Wingspan and we played it and REALLY love it. We do want to figure out a better way to handle the pieces but its a lot of fun (but a long game)  It especially helps because they start with 4 turn pages for a 4 player game that you can give each player one and play the first 4 turns step by step, with explanation. And by the time you are done with those 4 turns, you are ready to make your own decisions, understand how the game goes, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LJPPKGFGSC said:

Here is what we have played so far ....

Santa Cookie Elf Candy Snowman (Christmas version of "Taco Cat, etc....)  The kids - age 13, 17, 22 -think that this is hilarious.  I am over it already, but it will be fun to play a few times each Christmas

Unstable Unicorns - I think that this one has potential, and we might get some expansions.  It is very much like Fluxx, which is probably my favorite game right now.

We love Fluxx. Not as fond of Unstable Unicorns but my son loves it so we end up playing it on occasion. My daughter likes collecting the unicorns.

I got three games for Christmas. I have not opened Everdell or Res Arcana yet.

But we've played some "missions" of The Crew: Quest for Planet Nine. There are 50 missions to complete, so we've only just begun. But so far, it's been fun! It's a cooperative trick-taking card game.

We played Sagrada with DD19 the other night.

I'm about to play a game with DH, but I'm not sure we want to learn something new right now. I will probably pull out either Wingspan (still fairly new to us; we've played it a few times) or Dominion.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

But we've played some "missions" of The Crew: Quest for Planet Nine. There are 50 missions to complete, so we've only just begun. But so far, it's been fun! It's a cooperative trick-taking card game.

I'm about to play a game with DH, but I'm not sure we want to learn something new right now. I will probably pull out either Wingspan (still fairly new to us; we've played it a few times) or Dominion.

Ah, Dominion- haven’t played that one since ds 21 moved out!

we just finished Ghost Fighting Treasure Hunters- cute, cooperative.. a little too long for the attention span of the just turned 7 year old.

3 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

My son got Wingspan and we played it and REALLY love it. We do want to figure out a better way to handle the pieces but its a lot of fun (but a long game)  It especially helps because they start with 4 turn pages for a 4 player game that you can give each player one and play the first 4 turns step by step, with explanation. And by the time you are done with those 4 turns, you are ready to make your own decisions, understand how the game goes, etc.

We were figuring out the same game this afternoon,  but we got to the end of that nifty sequence of pre-planned moves and looked at each other blankly because we had no idea what we were doing 🤣. We watched the how to play video and it all became clear.  Very fun game!

Edited by Tenaj

2 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I love both Wingspan and Dominion. Would much prefer playing those over learning a new game.

We did an all board game Christmas exchange and so far the new things we've played:

Scythe

Wingspan

Cryo

Valley of the Kings: Last Rites

Quacks of Quedlinburg

The last one is by far our favorite. Really fun push your luck game. Scythe is probably our second favorite - we've been ready for some meatier games in our family.

My husband and I played Coup last night. It's marked as being suitable for two to six players. While we enjoyed, we think it would be more fun with additional players.

We've played A Little Wordy twice now and definitely enjoyed it. I recommend it as a fun two player game for those who like word games.

Here is a review if you'd like to know more.

Regards,

Kareni

Wins- We LOVE Azul & dh is not usually into games.  
He also liked playing the kid’s game Ghost Fighting Treasure Hunters.

Santorini is fun & a spatial reasoning type game 

Bloom is a fun dice game.

miss- Pebble rock Delivery service has too many pieces for a kids game. 

We haven’t tried My Little Sythe yet.

also pulled out old favorites: outfoxed, mancala, dragomino, sorry 

Played this week:
Castles of Burgundy x 7
Dixit x 1
Splendor x 8 - DS7 learned this week so he's thrilled!
Exploding Kittens x 3 
Arboretum x 1
Catan Junior x 1
Catan (DH and kids - I've grown to hate it)
Above & Below x 1
Carcassone x 1
Hearts x 1
Five Crowns x 1

I'm told they're gamed out.  I need new humans. 

Tomorrow (Christmas at my side) will be Telestrations & Pepper.  It's my nieces so I'm thinking of intro'ing two new games? Suggestions? I'm thinking Trekking and Splendor.

• Like 1

I don't know if I can remember, but our past week (well, starting with Christmas) has included:

Everdell

Spades

Ticket to Ride Europe 

HP Clue

Patchwork Christmas Edition

Unearth

Dnd (all 7 of us, including the 7yo)

Wingspan

Favor of the Pharaoh

Sheriff of Nottingham

Qwirkle

King of Tokyo Dark Edition 

• Like 1

We played Chronicles of Crime last night.  Not your traditional board game at all.  More like a group cooperative to solve the crime. Lots of thinking involved so definitely not good for young children.  We've played through all the cases that my son has and now have to wait until March when the next ones will arrive.

25 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Dominion ----> brand new in our house this year. 6 players. Oh, my! 

That sounds like so much downtime!! Dominion is probably our most played game as a couple but I just can’t play it at higher player counts.

1 hour ago, Meriwether said:

I don't know if I can remember, but our past week (well, starting with Christmas) has included:

Everdell

Spades

Ticket to Ride Europe 

HP Clue

Patchwork Christmas Edition

Unearth

Dnd (all 7 of us, including the 7yo)

Wingspan

Favor of the Pharaoh

Sheriff of Nottingham

Qwirkle

King of Tokyo Dark Edition 

Do you like Everdell? I got it as a Christmas present but I’m not sure if I want to keep it. I’m not a huge fan of Wingspan but I play it because it’s so pretty. I have a feeling I’m going to feel the same way about Everdell…

1 hour ago, R828 said:

Do you like Everdell? I got it as a Christmas present but I’m not sure if I want to keep it. I’m not a huge fan of Wingspan but I play it because it’s so pretty. I have a feeling I’m going to feel the same way about Everdell…

I adore Everdell. I love Agricola and it reminds me of that - cards + worker placement. Have you ever played Agricola? 

10 hours ago, AurieD said:

Zombie Kidz, Zombie Kidz, and more Zombie Kidz. My own fault for not buying them more Christmas games!

Husband and I got in games of Patchwork and Ticket to Ride (Nordic)  without the kids the other day.

How old are your kids who love Zombie Kidz?

Good for ages 7 & 8? My 8 year old is ready for games that are 8 or 10+ but the younger still does best with kid versions. The Teenz version would be too hard for him I think.

We have Xmas gift money to spend for them and want to put it towards games 🙂

50 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

How old are your kids who love Zombie Kidz?

Good for ages 7 & 8? My 8 year old is ready for games that are 8 or 10+ but the younger still does best with kid versions. The Teenz version would be too hard for him I think.

We have Xmas gift money to spend for them and want to put it towards games 🙂

They are 5 & 7. I think kids who are capable of more advanced games would still find it pretty fun. My husband and I enjoy it much more than other kid games, though we haven’t played a lot of different ones as our younger has only recently gained the required attention span.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

I adore Everdell. I love Agricola and it reminds me of that - cards + worker placement. Have you ever played Agricola? 

I haven’t, though I’ve heard good things. Actually come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve played any worker placement games, unless Parks counts. I love Parks though! I guess this means we should at least give Everdell a shot! Thanks for your input BlsdMama! 

1 hour ago, Meriwether said:

I love Everdell, partly because it is so beautiful. I like worker placement games in general, and I like building my city. 

I don’t know if we’ve given worker placement a proper try, so maybe we should keep it. Thank you! 

Edited by R828

DD20 had her new boyfriend over for New Year's, and we played Bohnanza and Apples to Apples Disney with him. His family's go-to game is Uno (which we also love), so we tried to stick with things that wouldn't feel too overwhelming. Now that he's broken in, the next time he's here, we will pull out something more challenging, but I didn't want to scare him off 🤣.

I also played a few rounds of Quixx with DH. Things are busy here, so we only had a few minutes. I'm looking forward to breaking out Everdell and Res Arcana, which were gifts, but we haven't had time yet.

I tried to talk DH into entering into a New Year's resolution to play a game a day this year. He didn't bite. But I can hope for MORE gaming, even if not daily. DH is out of town today, doing some work on my dad's condo, which we are in the midst of selling, but perhaps I can talk my girls into playing something with me this evening.

We’ve been playing Sushi Go Party, Photosynthesis, Calico, Wingspan, and Voyages.  I think Sushi Go and Voyages are the kids’ favourites. 

We didn’t play Everdell over the holidays, but I do really enjoy it.  I find it more relaxed than Agricola, and also very whimsical.  

• Like 1

Ticket to Ride - Africa

Pinnocle

Euchre

Equate

Battle Monopoly (don't ask, my sons invented it and it is crazy)

Apples to Apples

Mexican Train

Poker for Pennies (My mother in law keeps a quart jar of pennies, we divide it up, play, and then put it all back for next time. She always fives a bag of candy to the winner, lol.)

Dungeons and Dragons - we played a really funny one the other night and for off on so many tangents that my son in law (new to dungeon mastering) laughed until he got so hot his hair was sweaty, and then flabbergasted because after three hours of play, we had only just gotten through the introduction. He learned the hard way that maybe the enchanted turkey should not have such tough statistics that it takes an hour to defeat! (It was Mark who used alcohol from the castle kitchen and a candle to ignite a couch which it dropped on the turkey. Couch inferno for the win!!! 😂)