Menu

I hate trying to buy jeans

Ok so I'm not the smallest girl out there but why does it have to be so hard to buy jeans.

I'm a size 16 and it's a pain in the backside to find jeans that fit right. I've tried old navy (which is what my older need to be replaced jeans are) and they are a newer style so they look horrible. The back waistband "tents" outward which looks horrible and they are so shortwaisted that no matter what underpants I wear they always show. I've tried LL Bean, and they are too relaxed fit in that I feel like I'm wearing a tarp, if I pulled the loose material away from my leg there was a good 5 inches.

I know I need to loose weight (I'm an apple shaped person, which is really bad) but why do all jeans seemed to be made for those that are size 4 or under with perfect proportions.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

I'd LOVE to find a pair of jeans that fit. I can't tailor them to fit--if I do then the opening in the waist (plus the zipper room) is not large enough to 'put the rest of me through':tongue_smilie: I had the same problem when I was super duper skinny before I had kids...

I'm also a size 16--and something happens with designers when they get to this size--they just explode the pattern in all directions... being larger 'around' does NOT mean that your arms grow longer too...grrrrr

Most size 16 and up jeans were designed for women without a waistline or curves...they end up being giant rectangles....from waist to floor...

For me the best fitting jeans are Lee--the ones with elastic in the waistband. They are a tiny bit baggy in the backside ---but at least they stay on! I can only find them at an outlet store...

Levis (525s I think), Lee and maybe some St. Johns Bay have worked for me (also a size 16, pear shaped though).

Even when I was thin I had trouble (always have had a rather large backside lol) - as soon as I found pants that fit my thighs, butt, and incredibly short self the waist in the back stuck out so far. The only jeans that ever fit were Lucky's (and they may still fit at this size, but there's no way I'm paying that much for a size I hate so much and don't intend to stay at lol).

They were not that baggy, and they had a higher waist than most other styles.

Now that I am an 18-20, I am having a lot of trouble as well.

After DD was born I went to a big Salvation Army store and tried on about 35 pairs of jeans--all styles and sizes. I really didn't know what shape I was anymore at that point. That way I found several styles that fit me, and knew what size to buy confidently, since they were all preshrunk at that point. It was a really helpful thing to do.

However, at that point I was a 10-12-14, and I don't think that that would work at the size I am right now.

After visiting a lot of stores, I decided to order some 550s off the Levi's website. I am pretty happy with them--they have a 'short' length that is about right for me. They are a bit stretchy. What I don't know yet is how the stretch will hold up after a few washings. I tried clothes from Torrid (hate that name, so much!), and the jeans all ended up falling down--the elastic was just WRONG. They are very cute, but just too much trouble to wear.

Bottom line is that I need to lose some weight for my health, and then I will be able to get back into more 'normal' sizes.

Key word in finidng jeans for me is "curvy" Eddie Bauers makes a "curvy" jean as does Ann Taylor Loft.

:iagree:

Also, I went to the Levi outlet store and they told me what size I needed plus helped me find the right cut. I wear the lower rise(not really low rise) because it keeps my stomach from feeling cut in half. Also remember that as much as I love the strecthy material of the jeans if you don't get the right size you will be pulling them up all day if they are too big once they have stretced out.

I'm there with you. I hate to try them on. I have to have stretch in my jeans, as I have a bulging belly thanks to weight, menopause, and surgery. God also saw hit to give me a booty so I'm curvy, but it feels like it's in the wrong places.

I actually mostly buy juniors sizes, when I can find them that aren't super low. Junior sizing seems to fit my body better. Kohls has some that seems to fit, but it's been a while since I've bought a new pair, styles seems to change so quickly.

Yeah!!!

I am right there with you. I am also a size 16. Since I am 5'10" I do not look fat though I really do need to lose some weight. It is so freakin' hard to find pants that fit!!! I hate-hate-hate clothes shopping because I invariably end up just depressed. I know people that are heavier than me, and I always wonder where on earth they shop when it is so hard for me to find clothes.

I have found that Land's End relaxed fit jeans fit me well, so I usually buy those. However, I would love to find some yoga pants or knit pants or formal dress pants that fit nicely and have not been able to find anything.

I also despaired of finding comfortable jeans that LOOKED great. Lane Bryant has the most wonderful, feel like I am 20 something again jeans. Best of all they are affordable! I hate shopping but it is almost enjoyable to go there because things fit AND look nice too.

I am a 16 too. :grouphug:

I was just going to post something similar, well, maybe not about them being affordable. I don't actually consider them that, but it's worth it to me to find something that fits.

Also, they now have three different cuts of jeans, coded by color. Once you know which "color" and size you are, it's easy to find things that fit. And the salespeople will measure you to help you figure it out.

At some point in the last year, the switch flipped in my head, and I decided that it's just plain not worth it to drag all over town trying to shove myself into clothing that is not going to look or feel good just because it's cheaper. I had a whole closet full of clothes I hated, that didn't fit properly or wear well. When I need something now, I head directly to either Lane Bryant or the women's section at Kohl's, pay only minimal attention to the price tag, and come home with something that works.

Ok so I'm not the smallest girl out there but why does it have to be so hard to buy jeans.

I'm a size 16 and it's a pain in the backside to find jeans that fit right. I've tried old navy (which is what my older need to be replaced jeans are) and they are a newer style so they look horrible. The back waistband "tents" outward which looks horrible and they are so shortwaisted that no matter what underpants I wear they always show. I've tried LL Bean, and they are too relaxed fit in that I feel like I'm wearing a tarp, if I pulled the loose material away from my leg there was a good 5 inches.

I know I need to loose weight (I'm an apple shaped person, which is really bad) but why do all jeans seemed to be made for those that are size 4 or under with perfect proportions.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

I feel your pain!! I have an apple shape too and it makes it extremely difficult to find jeans!! Old Navy is the only place I can reliably go for jeans that will fit. Until I discovered them, I was at a total loss. The new Old Navy Jeans still fit me. They do have a lot of different styles....did you try "The Flirt", mid-rise, boot cut? They seem pretty much the same to me as the old ones. They may be slightly bigger in the waist, but maybe going down a size would work?

...then go somewhere with a large selection and try on anything that looks like something you would like. I was in desperate need of some jeans that fit too. I determined to try on a bunch and find something. I had success at JCPenney's with their st. john's bay jeans.

I hope you find some!

I had success with J.C. Penny's also. I would suggest exploring not just size, but different style options to fit your body type. The difficulty for me is that my bottom is fit, but I still have a baggy 3-baby belly. I had trouble finding jeans that accentuated my positive attribute without being uncomfortably tight around the waist. Likewise, if I fit to my waist, they were baggy and frumpy around the bottom. So I tried a style that sits just below the waist, and a size that fits my bottom, and it is working out nicely ;)

But the styles do range from jeans that fit high around the waist, to "low rise" which barely cover the bottom. There are also at least three different length options (tall, average, petite, etc.,) within eact size/style option. Check these out and you might find something that works for you.

Yeah!!!

I am right there with you. I am also a size 16. Since I am 5'10" I do not look fat though I really do need to lose some weight. It is so freakin' hard to find pants that fit!!! I hate-hate-hate clothes shopping because I invariably end up just depressed. I know people that are heavier than me, and I always wonder where on earth they shop when it is so hard for me to find clothes.

I have found that Land's End relaxed fit jeans fit me well, so I usually buy those. However, I would love to find some yoga pants or knit pants or formal dress pants that fit nicely and have not been able to find anything.

Have you looked at the professional women's Land's End catalogue? I'd think if their jeans fit, their dress pants would fit as well. You may find a pleated front fits better than a plain front. I know I do.

For knit pants, I get the LE tall corderoy knit pants for winter. Unfortunately their sport pants now bag at the knees before the day is over so I'll be looking for a spring alternative.

I HATE SHOPPING FOR JEANS :tongue_smilie:

there, that feels better. :D

I don't own any right now -wait, that's not quite true..I do own one pair but they're too big; they're kinda my "emergency need a pair on" jeans...can wear 'em but have to keep yankin' them up.

I live in sweatpants (think like Roots), pj pants, and long skirts.:lol:

I got so fed up the last time that I went jeans shopping - that dang "skinny jeans" style is back again and, excuse me but I did that the first time 'round...not interested. ;) .....if it wasn't that, then it was the low low low low riders. Blech! I like slightly low, the hang-on-the-hipbones sort of kind, but the low low low show-us-your-butt-crack things are ridiculous. Blech.

I am a 16 also and only 5'3" tall and the ones at Kohl's Women's sizes (and others) were too long and baggy in the thighs. I walked into my local Lane Bryant and they were the most helpful gals I have met in ages. They had this special tape measure, not in inches but their own sizes and quickly fit me with the correct size and length. I couldn't believe how good the jeans felt. I bought one pair and they ordered the other which was out of stock and shipped it to my home (free shipping) in less than a week. Go on their website as it explains it better than I can. I also ordered dress pants now that I know my size and they fit great. I am sold! I previously had a thing about going there but they were just fantastic especially as far as customer service goes.

that's the feeling I have, exiting store after store with no success.

But here's an idea - go to Goodwill. On those racks are often many different name brands of jeans. Even if you don't find a pair in the right color or condition to purchase, at least you may get an idea of how certain brands fit. That's how I discovered Old Navy boot cuts. And Eddie Bauer jeans. Two stores I wouldn't normally have entered to shop for denims.

Good luck, I think jean shopping ranks right up there with swimsuit shopping:tongue_smilie:

I would also point you to Lane Bryant. They seem to understand the curvy female shape better than most... Old Navy seems to think women are shaped like egg cups. I'm all about low-rise (I'm 5' tall, so "low" is relative here) but their jeans that are too big for me still aren't big enough in the leg. When did women start having legs that are the size of ARMS? And when did "petite" start meaning a 32" inseam?!?!

I've had good luck at Bass - they're pretty inexpensive (and usually on sale for <$20) and proportioned like an actual human. But again, I'm short, so YMMV.

I like Eddie Bauer jeans as well; I can almost always find something to fit me there. Also, if anyone has a Costco near them, right now they have Dockers cords--trouser style and regular bootcut style--that fit me like they were made for me. Just a touch of stretch, not low on the waist but not too high, with short, medium, and long lengths. They're heavenly! I wear an 18ish these days, but the 16 shorts fit me perfectly. I have a long waist and shorter legs, so I'm in between most companies' short and long lengths, but these are just right. I think they're $20-$22, IIRC.

:iagree:

They are hard to find! :glare:

I used to be size 4/6, then 8, then 10, most recently 12. At none of those sizes has it been easy to find jeans that fit. It seems that whatever ends up fitting my tummy/thighs/hips/bottom also leaves a huge gap in the back (by my waist). What is up with that? :001_huh:

Even my dsis, who is quite thin (size 2/4-ish) has trouble finding jeans. She finally paid the $$$ to have some tailored so they really fit.

My most recent solution has been to visit Goodwill and try on lots & lots of pants, all different brands/styles with the hopes of finding something that'll work. I've found one pair of jeans that way, but they're starting to get snug now. :glare:

My current favorite pants are a pair of Horny Toad cords I found at the little senior center thrift store near my parents'. The cool thing about them is that there's this inner drawstring that neatly snugs up any gappage in the back. I'v looked at getting more Horny Toad pants, but they are sadly beyond my budget. And I still need jeans.

Feeling your pain. :tongue_smilie:

I feel your pain. I was on a quest to find "the" pair of jeans. It took me a YEAR!!!! Ugh. I'm tall so finding something long enough was tough. I also HATE the bootcut on me. I'm knock-kneed and they make me look ridiculous!

I found the perfect pair of jeans for me at Ann Taylor Loft. It's their "Julie." Straight leg, a little bit of lycra. LOVE them!!

I have no advice about where to go, but when you do find that pair - buy more than one!!!

Thanks Everyone,

I forgot to mention that I'm only 5'3", so that can pose a problem too, But I'm going to go check out lane bryant. I don't know why I didn't think of them since that's where I buy my undies LOL.

I'll also make sure to check out a bunch of the other places too.

I appreciate all the commisserating.

It's not your size that is the problem its the jeans!!! I wear a 4 and jeans do the same thing to me as they do to you. The only jeans I have found that fit are Levi's 515's.

I would really like to know how jean makers are getting the proportions for their sizes. Jeans rarely fit anybody correctly. Everybody in my family has problems finding jeans that fit. From my 19month old to my husband.

1. My 19 month old and my 3.5yo's jeans are too baggy. I can't find anything slim enough for my really skinny kids. Jean makers think all babies and preschoolers are fat and pudgy and that children wear diapers till size five (hence sizes 3t and 4t designed for diapers:tongue_smilie:).

2. My 5yo's jeans don't come up high enough.:w00t:

3. My 14yo dd's jeans aren't big enough in the hips. She's curvy.

5. My jeans are too low and make my baby stretched tummy look like a doughnut roll.

6. My dh's jeans are always too tight in the but and too loose in the legs.

Clothing makers really ought to go out a measure real bodies!!!

One of the house brands at Macy's, Style & Co, has a very nice Everyday Value jean. They have a bit of spandex in them so they feel good and not binding. Make sure you are in the women's section, not misses, so that you get a cut that assumes you have curves. I've even been able to get some that were cut short/petite.

I bought some for a trip last winter and this year I've bought about 5 more pairs in various colors.

There are these really cute jeans by Levis my mom just bought at Macy's...they are "curvy boot cut" with lycra (so they have a nice give to them) and they are designed not to "gap"...hers even has a "tummy"panel to keep a sleek silhouette...she is a size 14 and looks awesome in them! Stylish and comfy....they come in different lengths too (long, medium, and short)