Menu

Aside from vaccines, what are you doing to improve your health against COVID

thewellerman

As someone who cannot be vaccinated again, I've been trying to improve my odds should I contract it.  Healthy weight, daily basic vitamins, and regular exercise assumed, is there anything else?  

I'm interested in just thoughts and opinions, but also if anyone has come across studies on related topics. 

• Like 2

My doctor suggests Vit D and Zinc and outdoor time and exercise.  Good sleep as well.

Also, I wear a KN95 makes in public most places.

And an OXIMETER to have on hand in case someone gets sick.  It is important to monitor O2 levels as people can crash quickly.

• Like 11

I take vit D3, CoQ-10, sometimes B-12, sometimes C. Healthy weight, fresh air, exercise. Adequate sleep. 

I avoid congregating with people I know are not vaccinated or immune. I mask in stores. 

Why can you not be vaccinated again, if you are willing to share? 

• Like 2

Lots of organic fruits and veggies, shooting for 2 hours per day outside, daily kefir for probiotics, milk or yogurt for vit d.  I wear a kf94 and use xlear spray before going indoors (masked) with other people.  We also run air purifiers in common areas.  We also have anyone who has been in a group situation use mouthwash a few times a day to hopefully reduce the viral load they might out out if asymptomic.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 3

We eat a plant based diet.

https://nutrition.bmj.com/content/4/1/257

From the study:

In HCWs from six countries with a high frequency of exposure to COVID-19 patients, following plant-based diets or a spectrum of plant-based diets (plant-based diets or pescatarian diets) was associated with 73% and 59% lower odds of moderate-to-severe COVID-19-like illness, respectively, compared with individuals who did not follow these diets. Following low carbohydrate, high protein diets was associated with a non-significant 48% greater odds of moderate-to-severe COVID-19-like illness, compared with individuals who did not follow these diets. However, compared with those who reported following plant-based diets, those who followed low carbohydrate, high protein diets had higher odds of moderate-to-severe COVID-19.

In conclusion, individuals who reported following plant-based diets or pescatarian diets had lower odds of severe COVID-19-like illness. Individuals who reported following low carbohydrate, high protein diets had higher odds of severe-COVID-19-like illness, when compared with individuals who followed plant-based diets. Those who reported following plant-based diets or pescatarian diets had higher intake of vegetables, legumes and nuts, and lower intake of poultry and red and processed meats. Our results suggest that a healthy diet rich in nutrient-dense foods may be considered for protection against severe COVID-19.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Quill said:

I take vit D3, CoQ-10, sometimes B-12, sometimes C. Healthy weight, fresh air, exercise. Adequate sleep. 

I avoid congregating with people I know are not vaccinated or immune. I mask in stores. 

Why can you not be vaccinated again, if you are willing to share? 

I had bad reaction and am still not recovered nearly 5 months after 1 dose.  Severe headaches, ear problems, vision problems, nausea, vertigo, etc.  I am having more good days now, but I can't imagine risking it again.  I do mask, and distance, and pretty much don't go anywhere.  I do feel a little better in an immune or vaxed group, but that feels unfair to them since I'm not, and it isn't a guarantee of safety for me anyway.  

• Sad 11

31 minutes ago, thewellerman said:

I had bad reaction and am still not recovered nearly 5 months after 1 dose.  Severe headaches, ear problems, vision problems, nausea, vertigo, etc.  I am having more good days now, but I can't imagine risking it again.  I do mask, and distance, and pretty much don't go anywhere.  I do feel a little better in an immune or vaxed group, but that feels unfair to them since I'm not, and it isn't a guarantee of safety for me anyway.  

I’m sorry to hear about your bad reaction. That is exactly why I believe everyone who can be vaccinated ought to be. We could firewall the virus for people like yourself. 

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, thewellerman said:

Plant based diet is interesting.  I've been leaning that way for a while anyway. 

I piqued my interest too.  It's a very interesting correlation, one that certainly merits further study..

That said, it was not a very strong study - retrospective questionnaire, self report of diet and self report of covid severity in a sample that was 70% male and 95% were physicians.  It's now where near adequate to prove causality.  

• Like 3

I'm doing the basics:

Eat well - real food, mostly plants, not too much

Maintain fitness

Taking vitamin D as I do every winter (northern climate)

Masking indoors always (except at home with my own family), high quality mask - in my case, a fit-tested n95

I've ordered a CO2 monitor.  I plan to use it to evaluate the adequacy of ventilation in public spaces - specifically my kids extra-curricular - to help me make better masking decisions and better decisions about whether we should participate in certain activities in certain spaces at all.

ETA: thermometer and pulse oximeter at home, to help make good decisions about when to seek medical care if we get it.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, thewellerman said:

As someone who cannot be vaccinated again, I've been trying to improve my odds should I contract it.  Healthy weight, daily basic vitamins, and regular exercise assumed, is there anything else?  

Sleep!

Make sure to get a good amount of sleep every night. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, wathe said:

I piqued my interest too.  It's a very interesting correlation, one that certainly merits further study..

That said, it was not a very strong study - retrospective questionnaire, self report of diet and self report of covid severity in a sample that was 70% male and 95% were physicians.  It's now where near adequate to prove causality.  

There've been other studies, too, like the recent one from Harvard. You're right that the data for all these studies tends to be quite loose (mostly self-reported for both food intake and symptoms, dietary categories are a bit loosely defined, etc.), but OTOH, the results all point in the same direction, which is a statistically significant reduction in the risk of severe covid.

There certainly could be other confounding factors, especially since plant-based eaters are generally at lower risk for many of the health problems that are associated with severe covid, like obesity, diabetes, and heart disease, plus they tend to have better gut health and lower rates of inflammation. So one could argue that what the studies really show is that people who are not obese or diabetic or hypertensive or have heart disease, and have healthy microbiomes and low rates of inflammation, are less likely to have severe covid — which, on the one hand is like, doh, we already know that, but OTOH, maybe the fact that a diet change can affect nearly all of the risk factors for covid is useful news for some people.

• Like 8

I would say masking and diligently hand washing/hand sanitizing. .

My husband and I went on 20 hour plane rides one way. Each during different times of the year and also DH during the Omicron variant saga very recently. We are both boostered recently so while I think it does play a huge part, I am very much aware of breakthrough cases.

We usually catch a sniffle or two on those plane rides, sometimes low grade fever and chalk it up to travel hazards. This is the first time we have completely masked and not a sniffle.

We both travelled, met loads of people. But we masked completely. Was it comfortable ? heck no. Do I think it helped a lot. Absolutely.

I also do the whole eat well, exercise, take vitamins and all that stuff. But if you want anecdotal evidence on what worked for us, our #1 is vaccines and #2 is masking.

I do not think eating healthy and exercise alone is preventing COVID risks if you do not mask diligently. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

We eat a plant based diet.

https://nutrition.bmj.com/content/4/1/257

From the study:

In HCWs from six countries with a high frequency of exposure to COVID-19 patients, following plant-based diets or a spectrum of plant-based diets (plant-based diets or pescatarian diets) was associated with 73% and 59% lower odds of moderate-to-severe COVID-19-like illness, respectively, compared with individuals who did not follow these diets. Following low carbohydrate, high protein diets was associated with a non-significant 48% greater odds of moderate-to-severe COVID-19-like illness, compared with individuals who did not follow these diets. However, compared with those who reported following plant-based diets, those who followed low carbohydrate, high protein diets had higher odds of moderate-to-severe COVID-19.

In conclusion, individuals who reported following plant-based diets or pescatarian diets had lower odds of severe COVID-19-like illness. Individuals who reported following low carbohydrate, high protein diets had higher odds of severe-COVID-19-like illness, when compared with individuals who followed plant-based diets. Those who reported following plant-based diets or pescatarian diets had higher intake of vegetables, legumes and nuts, and lower intake of poultry and red and processed meats. Our results suggest that a healthy diet rich in nutrient-dense foods may be considered for protection against severe COVID-19.

More on this

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/eating-a-plant-rich-diet-helps-to-protect-against-covid-19

• Like 3

Do daily naps with the kitties count? đŸ™‚Â 

Otherwise, the basics: vaccinated, boosted, wear KF94 every time we are in public, don’t go in public often. Daily walks and fresh air, run an air purifier upstairs and down, vitamin d because it’s winter and get we have short days, haven’t eaten inside a restaurant since February 2020 and have no plans to for the duration. A weekly walk or outdoor coffee with a friend is my only socializing. 

We are strict. We really don’t want to fool with this virus.

• Like 6

Besides switching to a plant-based diet (and the bonus 25 lb weight loss that came with it), I take 5000 iu of Vit D3 w/the MK7 form of K2 every day, wear a Happy Mask whenever I leave the house, and order pretty much everything but groceries online (and if Trader Joe's did delivery I'd order groceries online too). I shop first thing in the morning as soon as they open, and I get in and out as quickly and efficiently as I can. I did have to go to Home Depot the other day, but I went at 6:30 AM on a weekday when it was nearly empty.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5

re measuring relative ventilation in different places

1 hour ago, wathe said:

I've ordered a CO2 monitor.  I plan to use it to evaluate the adequacy of ventilation in public spaces - specifically my kids extra-curricular - to help me make better masking decisions and better decisions about whether we should participate in certain activities in certain spaces at all.

That's a really good idea - thanks.

• Like 5

Zinc, C, D, quercetin.  I was already doing that, but I've read positive results for all of them related to Covid.  Also, monolaurin, when I remember, and swishing mouth and wiping nostrils and ears with diluted hydrogen peroxide after being in groups.  I avoid foods related to inflammation (for me personally - some are supposedly non-inflammatory for the general populace).  Sleep. 

• Like 1

In addition to eating well, taking vitamins, exercising, wearing a N95 when around people not in my household, we also are running HEPA filters in the house in case one of the kids has a breakthrough infection. Dh works from home and Youngest is homeschooled but the middle three are out and about a lot. 

Playing off of wathe’s ideas regarding CO2, we have a home air quality monitor and it is absolutely helpful to determine airflow even within one’s own home. We have discovered a couple of the shared bedrooms get quite stuffy—and co2 levels climb above 1500 if doors are shut—so we are opening windows more in addition to running the HEPA. If a breakthrough infection happens, hopefully we won’t have household spread.

• Like 6

We are taking vitamin d. Trying to do Better with getting a lot of fresh air which isn't easy now that Michigan has gotten so cold. 

Our big focus is more on mental health ad we come up on two years of this mess. We are having a lot of movie and game nights whenever we have one or more of our adult sons in the house, taking walks, trying new recipes, I am doing a lot of research on the Danish concept of "Hygge", and we have been slowly purging the house. Dh is doing a lot with his new hobby of bread making and says he finds it very relaxing. I have been making some floral arrangements for the new house.

We decided that we needed more balance, not just worrying about physical safety. We are taking our two sons who are winter sports buffs, skiing the last weekend of February. I am hoping that cases are low enough that with a good mask I will feel okay taking a good book and curling up in front of the lodge fireplace since my permanently injured ankle does not withstand skiing or snowshoeing.

• Like 4

I am losing weight to get into a healthy BMI. I am on my phone and can't link right now, but there was a study that showed people with a BMI of 23-25.9-ish had better outcomes regarding hospitalizations, icu/vent, and death. 

We haven't gone whole-foods plants based, but we have almost completely eliminated processed foods from our diet. When we eat beef and dairy, I try very hard to buy grass-fed products. Cattle that eat grain have high levels of inflammation that gets passed on in the meat and milk. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Corraleno said:

There've been other studies, too, like the recent one from Harvard. You're right that the data for all these studies tends to be quite loose (mostly self-reported for both food intake and symptoms, dietary categories are a bit loosely defined, etc.), but OTOH, the results all point in the same direction, which is a statistically significant reduction in the risk of severe covid.

There certainly could be other confounding factors, especially since plant-based eaters are generally at lower risk for many of the health problems that are associated with severe covid, like obesity, diabetes, and heart disease, plus they tend to have better gut health and lower rates of inflammation. So one could argue that what the studies really show is that people who are not obese or diabetic or hypertensive or have heart disease, and have healthy microbiomes and low rates of inflammation, are less likely to have severe covid — which, on the one hand is like, doh, we already know that, but OTOH, maybe the fact that a diet change can affect nearly all of the risk factors for covid is useful news for some people.

Yes. I don't think that there's any doubt that healthy diets are one of many important determinants of health outcomes

But I've seen this particular study referenced several times now, (including as evidence by anti-vaxxers in my own life suggesting that if people just ate healthy diets then they wouldn't get sick from covid - which I know isn't what's happening on this thread).  I think it got a lot of press.

And I think it's important to point out that it was a weak study.  Interesting, but weak.

ETA:  Also, I think it's important to note that there are all kinds of plant-based diets.  Plenty of vegetarians have junky, unhealthy diets - I mean, beer and potato chips junky - but I don't think that that's the kind of plant-based diet most of us are talking about.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

re measuring relative ventilation in different places

That's a really good idea - thanks.

I am disproportionately excited about my new nerdy science toy (an early Christmas gift to myself).  It's still in transit, due to arrive by Thursday.  I will let you all know how it turns out.  

ETA: we are also building a Corsi-Rosenthal box to run while the grandparents are here over Christmas.  Then might build one for the junior scouts sections that are meeting in a late 1800's church basement - after it fails CO2 monitoring (which I am very confident that it will.......)

Edited by wathe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, wathe said:

Yes. I don't think that there's any doubt that healthy diets are one of many important determinants of health outcomes

But I've seen this particular study referenced several times now, (including as evidence by anti-vaxxers in my own life suggesting that if people just ate healthy diets then they wouldn't get sick from covid - which I know isn't what's happening on this thread).  I think it got a lot of press.

And I think it's important to point out that it was a weak study.  Interesting, but weak.

ETA:  Also, I think it's important to note that there are all kinds of plant-based diets.  Plenty of vegetarians have junky, unhealthy diets - I mean, beer and potato chips junky - but I don't think that that's the kind of plant-based diet most of us are talking about.

Yeah, there are definitely some vegans/vegetarians who have terrible diets. The newer study from Harvard did control for that though, they categorized people based on the healthiness of their diet, not just whether or not they ate animal products. The way their scoring system worked, there were positive points for the highest consumption of fruit, vegetables (except potatoes), legumes, and whole grains, and for the lowest consumption of fat, sugar/sweets/soda, processed grains, chips/French fries, and animal products. So a vegan who ate a lot of chips, soda, and junk food would not have been in the "healthiest" group that had the lowest risk.

• Like 6

Iota carrageenan sprayed up the nose and on throat can reduce viral load or prevent the virus from taking hold altogether.  It acts as a barrier. Spray whenever you’re meeting people or going into spaces where the virus might be lingering. For people working with the public, spray before work and then every few hours to recoat your nasal and throat areas. Keep masking up for even more protection.

You can find diy online directions for making it yourself. Amazon sells everything you’d need.

A surgical department at Oxford will be trialing it (eta: on unvaxed people) but it’s been used to prevent other viral infections and some people have been using it to help prevent Covid. Here’s the Oxford trial but there are other studies as well.

https://academic.oup.com/bjs/article/108/Supplement_6/znab259.508/6388671?login=true

Participants are randomised to either the treatment (0.12% I-C in 0.5% saline spray) or placebo (0.5% saline spray) arm and will prophylactically apply the spray to their nose and throat while completing a daily symptom tracker for a total of 10 weeks. 

Edited by BeachGal

On 12/11/2021 at 1:28 PM, thewellerman said:

I'm interested in just thoughts and opinions, but also if anyone has come across studies on related topics. 

I utilize Solle Naturals heavily. I take Vitamin D. I drink cistek tea throughout the day. I take vitamin D. I take supplements that discourage inflammation like sea buckthorn, CoQ10, and a ton of curcumin. I take 60mg off Charlottes Web original formula CBD. ALS in linked to inflammation so most of my routines are based on health and reducing inflammation and getting quality sleep. If you’d like my full routine, I can add it here. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

I utilize Solle Naturals heavily. I take Vitamin D. I drink cistek tea throughout the day. I take vitamin D. I take supplements that discourage inflammation like sea buckthorn, CoQ10, and a ton of curcumin. I take 60mg off Charlottes Web original formula CBD. ALS in linked to inflammation so most of my routines are based on health and reducing inflammation and getting quality sleep. If you’d like my full routine, I can add it here. 

I would love to hear it!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Yes, please!

Oh, and getting out of Michigan for a while. Our county is one of the worst positive ties and hospitalization rates in the country. Alabama, and in particular our area down there, is much lower. Mountain house, fresh air, curbside grocery pick up (which has been discontinued here making the crowds indoors much much worse), family hikes, and a far lower risk of transmission is in our near future. Saturday we leave bright and early Saturday. Meanwhile our nearly 6 year old grandson is driving his mother crazy with bouncing excitement. I was informed today that when we arrive, he is being assigned to us, and she doesn't want it hear the word "mama" again for at least a week. I have this terrible feeling that something the size of your average kindergartener is going to end up in bed between dh and I at night while it bothers its three, bachelor uncles all.day.long. đŸ˜‚

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Oh, and getting out of Michigan for a while. Our county is one of the worst positive ties and hospitalization rates in the country. Alabama, and in particular our area down there, is much lower. Mountain house, fresh air, curbside grocery pick up (which has been discontinued here making the crowds indoors much much worse), family hikes, and a far lower risk of transmission is in our near future. Saturday we leave bright and early Saturday. Meanwhile our nearly 6 year old grandson is driving his mother crazy with bouncing excitement. I was informed today that when we arrive, he is being assigned to us, and she doesn't want it hear the word "mama" again for at least a week. I have this terrible feeling that something the size of your average kindergartener is going to end up in bed between dh and I at night while it bothers its three, bachelor uncles all.day.long. đŸ˜‚

Are you kidding me?! What grocery chain is this that discontinued curbside? That's just nuts; Covid or no, curbside is a godsend.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, regentrude said:

do they at least do Instacart? (Better than curbside, if you ask me)

No, we are very rural, and for whatever reason, are choosing not to offer any options at this time.

We have a half beef, about 30 chicken breasts, some whole roasting chickens, and 10lbs of salmon in the freezer along with a ton of frozen veggies. The local gas station mini-mart owner is serious about covid, requires masks, and makes people distance. So since he keeps milk, eggs, cheddar cheese, and sour cream on hand, we are paying the higher price to support him. We do an expensive prime pantry box once in a while, and I decided to start with misfits for some fresh produce once a month. We are able to stay out of these three grocery stores for the time being. I use a Dollar General and go near closing when  they are not busy for personal care items, cleaners and paper products when we need them (apart from T.P. we don't use a lot of paper). We make due. But, I will be glad to have curbside for Kroger and Whole Foods when we get to Huntsville, and Dd has misfits. We managed to get to the Mennonite bulk food store on an off day, off time, and picked up our specialty baking supplies for the holidays, so are okay. However, that place is a mad house now of unmasked, throngs of humans. If we find we have forgotten something, that will be a too bad thing. We are not going in there again! And really, at this point all stores are off limits. There just aren't any, well maybe the auto parts, that are reasonable to risk going into.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

No, we are very rural, and for whatever reason, are choosing not to offer any options at this time.

I'm so grateful for Shipt shoppers. Being small town I'm able to get home delivery.  I sometime go and app checkout at the nearest Sam's Club, because that's the only place most people wear masks, but even that is curbside with the numbers right now.  I had to take DD to the ER last week and it was awful.

@BlsdMama I'm interested in hearing more about the CW CBD.Â đŸ˜‰

Edited by melmichigan

21 hours ago, thewellerman said:

Yes, please!

A word of warning that Solle is an MLM - they aren't the only supplier that you'll see but I do use them pretty heavily.  Their products were at least partially involved in a pretty well known and third party (Duke University - Dr. Bedlack) documented ALS reversal of Mark Manchester.  ALS affected individuals are hypermetabolic and it's almost like they burn through nutrients and then run short? For example, my body uses B12 and protein at an insane pace.  If I don't constantly supplement B12, I become anemic and if I don't supplement protein, my hair falls out heavily and something in the Leap keeps my thumbnails from getting a gray hue.  It's very odd.  I second guessed myself on a lot of it, but decided I eventually needed to stop over analyzing, pick a supplement routine and stick with it.

Supplements.JPG

• Like 3

13 hours ago, melmichigan said:

I'm so grateful for Shipt shoppers. Being small town I'm able to get home delivery.  I sometime go and app checkout at the nearest Sam's Club, because that's the only place most people wear masks, but even that is curbside with the numbers right now.  I had to take DD to the ER last week and it was awful.

@BlsdMama I'm interested in hearing more about the CW CBD.Â đŸ˜‰

Whatcha want to hear? I jumped through all the hoops, got my medicinal marijuana "license" to do it all legally through Iowa. It's quite the monopoly.  I pay $100 (annually) for a card, another $100 for a caregiver card (annually) then overpay for CBD and marijuana products, all the while not being privy to the strain.  For spasticity, the CBD works better for me than the state's lovely minimalistic options. (Roll eyes)

In a best case scenario, I'd rather cross the border, choose my strain for specific medicinal purposes, and then come back.  However, my strain of choice (GDP) isn't offered as a leisure purchase option in Illinois. And, even with an Iowa medical need card, I'm only allowed to buy recreational and not medicinal.  Don't even get me started with the insanity of that.  Thus, I am forced to use CBD when the real thing would be more medically beneficial.  CBD reduces my spasticity and, likely, lowers inflammation.  That said, we did pick hemp this fall and the strain (The White) is heavy CBG.  I think CBG is going to be the next thing  we hear a lot about. We tinctured that here but it is so strong because we tinctured it in alcohol and not oil that I haven't consistently taken it.

8 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

A word of warning that Solle is an MLM - they aren't the only supplier that you'll see but I do use them pretty heavily.  Their products were at least partially involved in a pretty well known and third party (Duke University - Dr. Bedlack) documented ALS reversal of Mark Manchester.  ALS affected individuals are hypermetabolic and it's almost like they burn through nutrients and then run short? For example, my body uses B12 and protein at an insane pace.  If I don't constantly supplement B12, I become anemic and if I don't supplement protein, my hair falls out heavily and something in the Leap keeps my thumbnails from getting a gray hue.  It's very odd.  I second guessed myself on a lot of it, but decided I eventually needed to stop over analyzing, pick a supplement routine and stick with it.

Supplements.JPG

Thank you!  This great!

• Like 1