Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

No description available.

Yes, Zach, but the pitcher will be stained from spaghetti sauce and smell faintly of garlic until 3 years from now when someone either gets disgusted and throws it out OR said man forgets this kind of pitcher cannot take being heated in the microwave and melts it with a new batch of spaghetti inside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, historically accurate said:

No description available.

Why does it say "put the food up?"  Does this mean put the left-overs away in the fridge? Never heard this expression before, but google says it's "a curious expression. Originating back in the 1700s."

That is more funny to me than this meme. 🤣

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Why does it say "put the food up?"  Does this mean put the left-overs away in the fridge? Never heard this expression before, but google says it's "a curious expression. Originating back in the 1700s."

Yes. It’s a normal phrase to me. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Southern expression. Northern expression is "put the food away." Presumably in the past, "up" (such as on the one and only shelf, or up in the loft) was the only place there was to put things away, so they were synonymous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I was going to post this same thing. It’s not put UP. It’s put AWAY!

Unless it’s idk. Meat or herbs being put up to age/dry.

fridge is away

Cabinets or storage is up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 73349 said:

Southern expression. Northern expression is "put the food away." Presumably in the past, "up" (such as on the one and only shelf, or up in the loft) was the only place there was to put things away, so they were synonymous.

In my experience, “putting food up” refers to canning it and preserving it, not to storing it per se. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

In my experience, “putting food up” refers to canning it and preserving it, not to storing it per se. 

I've heard that called putting food up also, or putting food by.

My neighbors have their kids put their toys up every day.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That's also how I think of it.  "Putting food up" means taking fresh food and preserving it for long-term use, could be canning, pickling, in the old days smoking or salting meat/fish, or in more modern times mass freezing.

Putting leftovers in the fridge is just putting food away, in my parlance.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

I occasionally say "put the food up" but usually "put the food away". Yes, put the leftovers in the fridge is the meaning. Obviously, I am from the 1700s! That is funny.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Katy said:

Yes. It’s a normal phrase to me. 

I don't live in the south but I have heard people say both "up" and "away" when talking about putting stuff in the fridge, cupboard, closet, whatever. I don't think of it as a regional expression, just an expression some people use and some don't. I didn't grow up saying it and don't use it now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

My husband - from Texas says that. It does sound odd to me too.

He also asks about alterations to 'take the pants waist up' when I would would say 'in'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purpleowl said:

Putting something up is very familiar to me as a synonym for putting it away. I had no idea that was a regional thing! I've lived in the southeastern US my whole life.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing it's a US thing (then regional). 

On 6/1/2023 at 9:30 AM, wintermom said:

Imagine a brass band accompanying you during your morning jog or walk in the park!!

Then imagine what song they'd play. I love this!! 🤣

https://www.facebook.com/reel/980124436479089

Showed this to dh - he said the next time he runs there he’s going to try to find out when they will be there. So funny! 

• Like 2