Menu

Wadjet the corn snake died :(

Dmmetler

The snake that my writing phobic child wrote a major proposal to get, that came from another homeschool family, that I was a friend and companion, and that for a long time L insisted would be coming to college was found dead in her tank today. L’s taking it pretty hard. I’m going to miss her, too. 

F18ABA67-181E-43E0-81ED-6EDBE1D53067.jpeg

• Sad 55

In many ways, this feels more like the finality of our homeschooling than getting the diploma actually does. The amount of focus on snakes in general, and particularly that snake, as the first, the culmination of a 7 yr old's dream, in our homeschooling has been so intense, so important. It feels like a finality-like Wadjet realized her job was over. And I'm not ready for it to be. 

• Sad 35

25 minutes ago, livetoread said:

I'm so sorry. Ours is our last family pet still hanging around, and I'll be sad when he dies, too. He's coming up on 17 now, so he's an old guy.

Pinkie Py(thon) is in his late 20’s/early 30’s. BP’s have a longer lifespan than corn snakes, but I think one reason why Wadjet’s death was such a shock was that since Pinkie was 20 or so when we got him, we mentally kind of assumed we wouldn’t have him for long, while Wadjet was in vigorous adulthood (and, if we had been going to breed, would have been prime breeding age). So somewhere, we missed that she was coming to the end of her natural lifespan. 

• Sad 6

14 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

It feels like a finality-like Wadjet realized her job was over. And I'm not ready for it to be. 

That made me cry. I'm so sorry, for you, L., and poor little Wadjet.  And I totally get the "not ready for it to be over"  (((hugs)))

11 hours ago, cintinative said:

Oh no! I am so sorry!! How old was he? Our corn snake Cob is about 5 or 6 years old. We figured he would live at least 20 years.  

Wadjet was 5 or 6 when we got her, and was probably about 15, which is a pretty typical lifespan. 

• Sad 1