Menu

We haven't had a nifty things you need to buy thread in at least a week...

PeterPan

My daughter had these . . . 

remote light switches

these are normal remotes (comes with two).  They do have remotes you control from your phone (which I what I ended up with for outside.).  Those can also be used with alexa. - dsil put one of those on the digital piano to keep the toddler from turning it on whenever he wanted to.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I'll start. This woman has a series of videos on cleaning, and now I'm all psyched to go buy brush attachments for a drill and go clean! Hahaha

I bought drill brushes to use when detailing cars.  Or grout in the bathroom  . . . 

• Like 1

I ordered a Dupray Neat steam cleaner today.  I was in need of a cleaning machine with attachments (my carpet cleaner is upright only) and I’ve also been wanting Bessel steam shot thingy as well.  I decided to go with this and sort of kill two stones.  I saw a video of the Neat cleaning some really gnarly carpet this morning and that was that.

ETA: Kill two stones?  I don’t know what’s going on in this brain of mine today. But it made me laugh so I’m not deleting it.

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

We ate at a Japanese restaurant Saturday, first such meal since the SIP.  I liked the asparagus salad with toasted sesame seed dressing so much that I bought Kewpie stuff for the first time—toasted sesame seed dressing, their mayo which is supposed to be similar to the old Best Foods recipe, enough other stuff to make up a free shipping order.  Psyched!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I'll start. This woman has a series of videos on cleaning, and now I'm all psyched to go buy brush attachments for a drill and go clean! Hahaha

Oh my gosh. I don't have any of those! My house must be pretty disgusting 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

We ate at a Japanese restaurant Saturday, first such meal since the SIP.  I liked the asparagus salad with toasted sesame seed dressing so much that I bought Kewpie stuff for the first time—toasted sesame seed dressing, their mayo which is supposed to be similar to the old Best Foods recipe, enough other stuff to make up a free shipping order.  Psyched!

Oh, I love Kewpie Roasted Sesame dressing!  It really fancies up a pile of vegetables!  Plus I discovered I could buy a large jar of pickled ginger at the Asian market, so I can pretend I'm doing some sort of Asian fusion cuisine with my sesame dressing plus ginger.

• Like 3

I've been on the hunt for some nifty beach equipment. like a chair that's as comfortable to lie on the stomach as it is to lie on the back, and more importantly, some kind of shelter for shade. I really like the idea of CoolCabanas but, oh my, they are expensive. And with my grandchildren moving near us, I'm in need of some cool beach toys. ETA: Oops, I forgot something else I've been on the hunt for - a low table for food, drinks, books... that can be folded flat.

https://coolcabanas.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwy42FBhB2EiwAJY0yQmhfpaYWcxmTa92PR6Ey5_19E9RjbS15qoGLfiIkwrIykWB8ZpFQ1RoCHwQQAvD_BwE

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I've been on the hunt for some nifty beach equipment. like a chair that's as comfortable to lie on the stomach as it is to lie on the back, and more importantly, some kind of shelter for shade. I really like the idea of CoolCabanas but, oh my, they are expensive. And with my grandchildren moving near us, I'm in need of some cool beach toys. ETA: Oops, I forgot something else I've been on the hunt for - a low table for food, drinks, books... that can be folded flat.

https://coolcabanas.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwy42FBhB2EiwAJY0yQmhfpaYWcxmTa92PR6Ey5_19E9RjbS15qoGLfiIkwrIykWB8ZpFQ1RoCHwQQAvD_BwE

I have this one and like it.  I paid less... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FDLH97H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

like a chair that's as comfortable to lie on the stomach as it is to lie on the back

Cruise ships really nail this. I'm sorta in the market too. I usually just lay out on a blanket (on the grass, on the deck) and my back no longer agrees this is a good idea.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Hostas. Just all the hostas - great for edging, lovely around tree vases, fill in that shady area... everyone needs hostas. 

Yes!! I had tried to be inventive, but I've got some spots where I'm pulling up and installing hostas. I even found some at Walmart that only need 2-4 hours of light and tolerate dry soil. I'm hoping they'll survive in this odd spot that is low light on the back of the house.

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Yes!! I had tried to be inventive, but I've got some spots where I'm pulling up and installing hostas. I even found some at Walmart that only need 2-4 hours of light and tolerate dry soil. I'm hoping they'll survive in this odd spot that is low light on the back of the house.

They should do well! You do have to water newly planted stuff for a little bit, but not drastically so, and hostas will survive being dug up and left for dead on the porch all winter without even being in a pot (we did this--ran out of time/space in the fall one year, and it's now planted and happy). 

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/flowers/perennials/tough-perennials-that-grow-in-dry-shade/  A few of these tolerate a big range of light--perennial geranium and bleeding heart will also grow in full sun. 

The geraniums are really lovely, as is the bleeding heart. Coral bells--there are many colors. Hellebore is gorgeous, but it might not bloom the first year or two. 

Sometimes you can improve the soil to hold more moisture--I have heard that alpaca poo is great for this. 

Our shade garden is pretty dry, and we also have Solomon's seal, lily of the valley, toad lily, ostrich ferns, blue eyed grass, and Siberian iris.

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

I wish!!!  I don’t need any more deer 🦌 friends. 

This is solvable. The deer only like hostas when they're young and tender. So when you first plant them, you need to put *bird netting* on them. You'll do this each year for about two seasons, spreading the netting and weighing it down with bricks. At that point when the hostas come up the leaves are like dinosaur kale, all thick and nasty and unpalatable. The deer will leave them alone at that point.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I bought this accessory for my instant pot and can now happily make egg bites like Starbucks. 

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Accessories-Silicone-Steamer-Resistant/dp/B07P6L3H35

Here's the recipe I use:

https://ifoodreal.com/instant-pot-egg-bites/

I went to take a peek at this and thought to myself that I need to use my IP more.  That led me to thinking about what other accessories for the IP I might need that I didn't know existed.   I ended up with this 25 piece set that I never knew I needed!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089XY5QMG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3VD2723VM6EYJ&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

https://beachbub.com/

worth every penny. comes with a table that attaches. I can put it up by myself. I could never get the sand augers/screws in deep enough with a regular umbrella. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Hostas. Just all the hostas - great for edging, lovely around tree vases, fill in that shady area... everyone needs hostas. 

Hostas are a deer salad bar.  I'm about to give up.  They look beautiful and then one day you walk out and they just look like celery.  We have some really aggressive deer.  I am very intrigued with @PeterPan's bird netting scheme.

6 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Make sure it's allowed before you spend big bucks.  I have vague memories of a beach outlawing the shelter thingies because they can become projectiles in the wind.

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I wish!!!  I don’t need any more deer 🦌 friends. 

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

This is solvable. The deer only like hostas when they're young and tender. So when you first plant them, you need to put *bird netting* on them. You'll do this each year for about two seasons, spreading the netting and weighing it down with bricks. At that point when the hostas come up the leaves are like dinosaur kale, all thick and nasty and unpalatable. The deer will leave them alone at that point.

I may need to get one of those ground beef masher thingies that all of the youtubers use when browning ground beef.  I don't need one, but I'm pretty sure I need one. 😁

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

They look beautiful and then one day you walk out and they just look like celery.  We have some really aggressive deer.  I am very intrigued with @PeterPan's bird netting scheme.

So how old are your hostas? Around here, if a hosta gets eaten off multiple years in a row, the plant miniaturizes and is toast. The deer come right up to my house (and the turkeys) but they stopped once the hostas were really well established. The leaves get thicker. So you might only have to do it maybe 2 years before they'd be mature enough.

Is it possible your area doesn't have enough vegetation for the deer? You could put out deer feeders, corn, salt licks, etc. so they'd go to the right place instead of your house. It seemed worse the year we had a drought. 

I was told deer won't cross stones. You could try placing a row (several feet deep) of uncomfortable, wobbly stones. I've also put prickly rose bushes in front of deer fodder. That's the only way I keep asiatic lilies, which I love. I have them protected by a bunch of shrub roses. Nothing fancy, but the deer won't walk through them.

Edited by PeterPan

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

So how old are your hostas? Around here, if a hosta gets eaten off multiple years in a row, the plant miniaturizes and is toast. The deer come right up to my house (and the turkeys) but they stopped once the hostas were really well established. The leaves get thicker. So you might only have to do it maybe 2 years before they'd be mature enough.

Is it possible your area doesn't have enough vegetation for the deer? You could put out deer feeders, corn, salt licks, etc. so they'd go to the right place instead of your house. It seemed worse the year we had a drought. 

These stupid hostas are at least ten years old.  I tend to forget about them until they pop up the next year.  They live for a while . . .and then celery.  I don't get it.  I have neighbors with large, dark green hostas.  Maybe the smaller variegated ones are too delicious?  

I actually saw a landscaping plan that had plants the deer disliked on the outside and plants you want to protect in an inner ring.  The theory was that they'd keep walking and eat your neighbor's camelias instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Interesting. I *might consider it, but I really don’t trust the deer around here. They eat deer-resistant plants, so I’m not sure how picky they’d be about the age of their hostas, lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Interesting. I *might consider it, but I really don’t trust the deer around here. They eat deer-resistant plants, so I’m not sure how picky they’d be about the age of their hostas, lol.

Our deer also have criminal tendencies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Very practical: Reminder to keep up &/or add more smoke detectors to your house. We have smoke detectors but I just ordered a few more. And don't forget carbon monoxide detectors too.

[Folks we have known 20 years had their house burn down last week. Fortunately the three people inside got out (one needed skin grafts) & after a few days, their cat showed up again (she was indoor/outdoor).]

• Sad 8

And, if you know of someone who needs a life alert/medical alert system for an elderly/disabled family member or friend, check out the Medical Alert System from Costco. (I believe the one she got is the $80 system that includes 3 months of service.)

https://www.costco.com/medical-alert-systems.html

My friend got one for her mom recently. This morning at 5am, I got a call from them because they couldn't get in touch w/ the primary contact (& I was the back-up). All was well in the end, but I can tell you that their system works.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

These stupid hostas are at least ten years old.  I tend to forget about them until they pop up the next year.  They live for a while . . .and then celery.  I don't get it.  I have neighbors with large, dark green hostas.  Maybe the smaller variegated ones are too delicious?  

I actually saw a landscaping plan that had plants the deer disliked on the outside and plants you want to protect in an inner ring.  The theory was that they'd keep walking and eat your neighbor's camelias instead.

SO, what we've figured out in this thread is that you need a dog - male.  😉 Our GS prevented the deer issue.  So, tonight, just explain to DH the Hive has solved all your life problems.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I bought this accessory for my instant pot and can now happily make egg bites like Starbucks. 

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Accessories-Silicone-Steamer-Resistant/dp/B07P6L3H35

Here's the recipe I use:

https://ifoodreal.com/instant-pot-egg-bites/

I have resisted the IP and now this.........  I really like those egg bites.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Yes, that’s the true SB way. But I like them fine in the IP. @BlsdMama@PeterPanif you haven’t tried them at Starbucks, get some and see how you like them. Then think about how much more economical it is to make them yourself at home!

I can do enough at a time for breakfast the whole week. And I like the way I can customize the bites. 

@KungFuPandaI am only a little familiar with sous vide. The if you were to cook a large batch, is there a way to leave individual servings (say two egg bites) wrapped for reheating later? I imagine you still need some kind of cups to hold them in shape? I like making a larger batch because I can maximize use of the filling stuff - like cooking up bacon, etc.

Most people use the small canning jars. That’s something I keep in my house anyway because they’re handy for so many things. https://copykat.com/starbucks-sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere/

These guys make some fun cooking videos: 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, popmom said:

https://beachbub.com/

worth every penny. comes with a table that attaches. I can put it up by myself. I could never get the sand augers/screws in deep enough with a regular umbrella. 

Wow, this is perfect! Thank you! And since there might be days when I'm my own with the grandkids, having something I can put up myself is a huge bonus.

17 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Make sure it's allowed before you spend big bucks.  I have vague memories of a beach outlawing the shelter thingies because they can become projectiles in the wind.

They are still allowed on our beaches. Thank goodness! The likelihood of skin cancer is probably higher than being impaled by an umbrella. But I really love the idea of using sand as a weight, instead of a pole just to help eliminate that risk as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Most people use the small canning jars. That’s something I keep in my house anyway because they’re handy for so many things. https://copykat.com/starbucks-sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere/

These guys make some fun cooking videos: 

You can sous vide in canning jars? Count me in. I keep the tiny ones around for little batches of jalapenos, as I'm the only one who eats them.

On 5/17/2021 at 4:33 PM, PeterPan said:

Watching this woman dust was so..... I bought a bunch of Swiffer dusters and have been dancing around the house.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You can sous vide in canning jars? Count me in. I keep the tiny ones around for little batches of jalapenos, as I'm the only one who eats them.

I am literally trying this right now.  I'll keep you posted.  I only found four of the small jars and tried subbing two 1/2 pint jelly jars.  I can tell you right now that this is a bad idea.  The extra air makes your jars float.  I should have made those jars 2-egg servings. I have them stacked on the 4oz ones now so they don't travel.  If this works I'll need to pick up more small jars.  I've mentioned before that I'm very suggestible with food and I absolutely blame this thread for this little adventure.

ETA: I can pickled jalapenos in the jelly jars.  My son pretty much eats them himself and I did not can enough to last the year.  I just opened the last jar a few weeks ago.  I'll definitely up my production this year.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I am literally trying this right now.  I'll keep you posted.

Do!

11 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Yes, you do. I don't understand why it works so much better than a spatula or spoon, but it does.

But the question is whether it's true for ground turkey... Sometimes I add water to spread it out but dh usually cooks it straight and then has to separate the clumps. Hold it, the woman in that video doesn't even like it! Well she's just apathetic, not hating it. But still.

Edited by PeterPan

37 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Do!

But the question is whether it's true for ground turkey... Sometimes I add water to spread it out but dh usually cooks it straight and then has to separate the clumps. Hold it, the woman in that video doesn't even like it! Well she's just apathetic, not hating it. But still.

I probably should mention that I have RA. So that could be one reason I think it works so much better than a spatula or spoon. To me it seems like the chopper requires much less work to get the job done. For those who don't have finger/wrist issues . . . maybe not?

• Like 1

@PeterPan, the egg bites in the 4 ounce jars worked perfectly.  Even the bigger jars cooked up perfectly. I kind of ignored the recipes I posted and winged it.  I just tossed my mix-ins in the jars until they were about half full.  Then I dumped the beaten egg on top to fill and stirred a little with chopsticks.  It all seems pretty forgiving and fool proof.  Today I made them with diced ham, shredded cheddar, green onions, some finely chopped kale and parsley, and a little salt and pepper. I got perfect, creamy little egg soufflés.  This would be nice for an easy brunch. and you could make a LOT of them at once.  It would be better with bacon, but I didn't want to go to the store.  Ds doesn't know I snuck kale in there so it's an all-around win and I'll definitely do it again.  It’s certainly easy to put the leftovers away. 

36E99814-AA2E-4045-89B9-9DCCB181ACA1.jpeg

Edited by KungFuPanda
To add photo
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

@PeterPan, the egg bites in the 4 ounce jars worked perfectly.  Even the bigger jars cooked up perfectly. I kind of ignored the recipes I posted and winged it.  I just tossed my mix-ins in the jars until they were about half full.  Then I dumped the beaten egg on top to fill and stirred a little with chopsticks.  It all seems pretty forgiving and fool proof.  Today I made them with diced ham, shredded cheddar, green onions, some finely chopped kale and parsley, and a little salt and pepper. I got perfect, creamy little egg soufflés.  This would be nice for an easy brunch. and you could make a LOT of them at once.  It would be better with bacon, but I didn't want to go to the store.  Ds doesn't know I snuck kale in there so it's an all-around win and I'll definitely do it again.  It’s certainly easy to put the leftovers away. 

How do you get them out? I watched the video you linked and looked over the recipe. I don't know what Starbucks does, but the lone time I ate at Tim Hortons (rather similar?) the last few months, it seemed like everything was premade and then run through a double sided conveyer toaster oven to warm it as you waited in the drivethrough. The link you gave was trying to broil, but it looks more like Starbuck had that overall effect. You might be able to prep ahead and then spray with a nice spray (coconut oil, whatever) and run them through the oven on convection to get that crispy browning all around. Might bring another dimension. But that's nifty that it worked! I'm just not sure how to get them out, lol. You didn't spray? Can you flip and whack?

On 5/17/2021 at 3:01 PM, Carrie12345 said:

I ordered a Dupray Neat steam cleaner today.  I was in need of a cleaning machine with attachments (my carpet cleaner is upright only) and I’ve also been wanting Bessel steam shot thingy as well.  I decided to go with this and sort of kill two stones.  I saw a video of the Neat cleaning some really gnarly carpet this morning and that was that.

ETA: Kill two stones?  I don’t know what’s going on in this brain of mine today. But it made me laugh so I’m not deleting it.

Remember that if you accidentally overfill your new Neat (easy to do) just pull the trigger (while off) and the excess water will get sucked inside.

Also know that the very first bit of "spray" will be on the wet side, so if it matters, you can shoot the initial blast (a couple seconds worth) into a sink, toilet, bucket, rag, etc.

And with things like grout, don't really "scrub." Better to go really slowly and let the steam do its thing vs "working it." Seems counter-intuitive, but...

Try to avoid going "manic," if that's possible :tongue:

Many of us get this rush of "power" and and get carried away. Upside? The house will sparkle.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Ohhhhh!

Bill

29 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Remember that if you accidentally overfill your new Neat (easy to do) just pull the trigger (while off) and the excess water will get sucked inside.

Also know that the every first bit of "spray" will be on the wet side, so if it matters, you can shoot the initial blast (a couple seconds worth) into a sink, toilet, bucket, rag, etc.

And with things like grout, don't really "scrub." Better to go really slowly and let the steam do its thing vs "working it." Seems counter-intuitive, but...

Try to avoid going "manic," if that's possible :tongue:

Many of us get this rush of "power" and and get carried away. Upside? The house will sparkle.

Bill

It got delivered tonight and I’m so excited, but my house is currently too messy to actually start using it right now, lol.

Not sure what I’m going to try first. My bathroom grout? Sliding glass door tracks? Couch? Rug? Oven racks? My car?  The possibilities are endless!!!

Thanks for the tips.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

It got delivered tonight and I’m so excited, but my house is currently too messy to actually start using it right now, lol.

Not sure what I’m going to try first. My bathroom grout? Sliding glass door tracks? Couch? Rug? Oven racks? My car?  The possibilities are endless!!!

Thanks for the tips.

The grout is the job where the Neat is least "miraculous" IMO. It is a good tool, it works, it does take time. Not like sweeping over grout will suffice if there are any stains, etc. One needs to go slowly.

Walls (yes walls!), floors, beds, upholstered furniture and such freshen up quickly.

So decide if you like easy jobs or the hardest ones.

Try to get some sleep tonight. If you empty and refill once and keep going, that's understandable excess. If you kill more than 3 thankfuls, then you have a problem :tongue:

Have fun. 

Bill

• Haha 1

I haven't gotten my nails done since the pandemic and I am wondering if I can actually do them myself at home. Has anyone used any of those at-home dip kits that don't require a UV lamp to cure? Do your nails come out looking decent or should I just stick to the pros now that things are opening up here and I am vaxed?

5 hours ago, PeterPan said:

How do you get them out? I watched the video you linked and looked over the recipe. I don't know what Starbucks does, but the lone time I ate at Tim Hortons (rather similar?) the last few months, it seemed like everything was premade and then run through a double sided conveyer toaster oven to warm it as you waited in the drivethrough. The link you gave was trying to broil, but it looks more like Starbuck had that overall effect. You might be able to prep ahead and then spray with a nice spray (coconut oil, whatever) and run them through the oven on convection to get that crispy browning all around. Might bring another dimension. But that's nifty that it worked! I'm just not sure how to get them out, lol. You didn't spray? Can you flip and whack?

I oiled the jars with olive oil before filling. To get them out I ran a butter knife around the outside and popped them out. I didn’t bother with broiling. I just plopped them out onto the plates and served. They weren’t tricky to get out at all. You could also eat them from the jar, but it didn’t occur to me at the time. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 10:19 PM, BlsdMama said:

Just after I dug mine up, I discovered the shoots were edible.  I could have been eating them before the slugs moved in.

16 hours ago, PeterPan said:

It works just as well for any ground meat. I use mine regularly.

• Like 2

I take back all the nice things I said about hostas yesterday.  I found a plant with HVX - hosta virus.  I realize, in the grand scheme of things, that this is a very little and stupid thing.  But..... as someone who has spent seven years landscaping and choosing plants and digging and collecting and as someone who loves her flowers but the hostas are my favorite? This sucks.

• Sad 4