Menu

What are some curriculum trends you’ve noticed over the years?

1 hour ago, smfmommy said:

Any chance you recorded your convention?  In our area you have to drive 4+ hours to get to the nearest convention that is mostly ideology.  I have a free homeschool library and I would love to be able to provide useful listening for newbies. 

I have a lot of people asking for Masterbooks, Good and Beautiful, plus some titles that the local co-ops use.  Mostly, moms come in and want "x grade".  They want a pile of books that they can hand their child(ren) and check that box off.  Doesn't have to be from the same publisher, just open and go.  Some like the idea of online, but so many are burned by covid schooling that they are more interested in physical materials.

Our convention isn't until August. I hadn't planned to record it, because the last time I did no one requested CDs. 🙂 I would consider it, though, if I thought anyone would want them (not CDs, though. Maybe we'd upload them? IDK.)  Recording them is a lot of work for Mr. Ellie, my sound guy. 🙂 You could like our page on FB, and we'll make an announcement if we do record.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

Our convention isn't until August. I hadn't planned to record it, because the last time I did no one requested CDs. 🙂 I would consider it, though, if I thought anyone would want them (not CDs, though. Maybe we'd upload them? IDK.)  Recording them is a lot of work for Mr. Ellie, my sound guy. 🙂 You could like our page on FB, and we'll make an announcement if we do record.

I will follow the FB page, thanks.  I would appreciate the recordings in any format, but I know it is a hassle to record, so thank Mr Ellie for me if you do.  🙂 

• Like 1

Everyone and their mother (including mine) used a Abeka back when it was “A Beka Book.” I remember meeting a homeschooling family that used Sonlight and thinking they were weird because all they did was read. (My, how I’ve changed.) This was in the ‘90s. I know some families who still use Abeka but I think the trend has mostly died out.  My youngest sister came up WTM style. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

What does it mean to professionalize motherhood? 

I think it’s a way through which a woman can build a “socially acceptable”  sense of identity, competence, and societal importance.  In the “old days,” perhaps it was that  homeschooling moms were looked down on or seen as weird or fringe. These days, I think there is a certain amount of respect for homeschool parents - it’s seen as hard-core, committed, and out-of-the-box (in a good way); even, dare I say, entrepreneurial? In my neck of the woods, “customized education” is frequently spoken of - it’s part of the aspirational zeitgeist among the liberal elite and among the liberal do-gooders (which I use in the most respectful and appreciative sense of the term).  Homeschooling is the ultimate in customized education, and the broker or curator of said education gets a gold star from at least some parts of society.

It’s a way to validate oneself; a way to define one’s identity; a way to prop up one’s self-esteem. I don’t mean that to come across as a criticism. But I do think it’s a real risk for homeschool moms — to tie a big part of their identity to their children’s education. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, AnneGG said:

Everyone and their mother (including mine) used a Abeka back when it was “A Beka Book.” I remember meeting a homeschooling family that used Sonlight and thinking they were weird because all they did was read. (My, how I’ve changed.) This was in the ‘90s. I know some families who still use Abeka but I think the trend has mostly died out.  My youngest sister came up WTM style. 

My parents homeschooled my younger siblings back in the 90s, and it was the same -- everyone used either A Beka or Bob Jones.  The "really wacky out there" families used Konos.  🤣🤣  My mom ended up putting together a lot of her own stuff.  She has looked rather overwhelmed and occasionally envious at the sheer number of options available to me.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WTM said:

I think it’s a way through which a woman can build a “socially acceptable”  sense of identity, competence, and societal importance.  In the “old days,” perhaps it was that  homeschooling moms were looked down on or seen as weird or fringe. These days, I think there is a certain amount of respect for homeschool parents - it’s seen as hard-core, committed, and out-of-the-box (in a good way); even, dare I say, entrepreneurial? In my neck of the woods, “customized education” is frequently spoken of - it’s part of the aspirational zeitgeist among the liberal elite and among the liberal do-gooders (which I use in the most respectful and appreciative sense of the term).  Homeschooling is the ultimate in customized education, and the broker or curator of said education gets a gold star from at least some parts of society.

It’s a way to validate oneself; a way to define one’s identity; a way to prop up one’s self-esteem. I don’t mean that to come across as a criticism. But I do think it’s a real risk for homeschool moms — to tie a big part of their identity to their children’s education. 

Yep. I definitely do that. But I'm not sure there's much to be done about that -- this is a tremendous project... 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AnneGG said:

In 1982, I took my dd out of a Christian school that used all ABeka, and my introduction to homeschooling was John Holt,  father of Unschooling. After 18 months of unschooling, which is what it took to undo what had been done in less than a year of school, we were totally NOT ABeka people. 🙂 And we were pretty much the odd man out forever, even when people were using things other than ABeka, which took awhile, since in 1982, none of the really cool things had been written by hsers yet. I think KONOS might have been the first, or maybe the Weaver. However, people regularly recommend ABeka on my FB group, and a friend is just about to graduate her third dc from ABeka Academy (using all videos, no less) with one more to go.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, daijobu said:

Thank you for writing this!  I often wondered if the homeschool conferences in other states were better than the one local to me.  Mine focuses more on liberal topics and social justice and just plain reassuring new homeschoolers.  This is terrific, but for my needs there is precious little on actually teaching various subjects.  I would have loved hearing someone talk about teaching English/Language Arts or discuss the various spelling curricula since that's out of my wheelhouse.  Or really, any subject-related topic.  

Why does ideology take the place of actual assistance?  

Because it is easier to speak about. If you don't know how to do something, just spread grandiose ideals hither and yon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Ellie said:

think KONOS might have been the first, or maybe the Weaver

I haven't seen Weaver mentioned in years! I started homeschooling in 1990 and this is what I used, or rather used as a springboard. I loved the pre-K /K material. After that I had the volumes but just loosely followed them. I did not like Abeka or Bob Jones. There were so few choices at the beginning. 

8 hours ago, Ellie said:

In 1982, I took my dd out of a Christian school that used all ABeka, and my introduction to homeschooling was John Holt,  father of Unschooling. After 18 months of unschooling, which is what it took to undo what had been done in less than a year of school, we were totally NOT ABeka people. 🙂 And we were pretty much the odd man out forever, even when people were using things other than ABeka, which took awhile, since in 1982, none of the really cool things had been written by hsers yet. I think KONOS might have been the first, or maybe the Weaver. However, people regularly recommend ABeka on my FB group, and a friend is just about to graduate her third dc from ABeka Academy (using all videos, no less) with one more to go.

Why did it take so long to undo school, if you don't mind me asking? 🙂 And what was wrong with ABeka? 

(This is from someone who hasn't seen ABeka in her life. I'm just curious about your experience!) 

13 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Why did it take so long to undo school, if you don't mind me asking? 🙂 And what was wrong with ABeka? 

(This is from someone who hasn't seen ABeka in her life. I'm just curious about your experience!) 

It is a common phenomena that it takes upwards of a year or more for a child to recover from being in a classroom. Dr. Raymond Moore talked about this. Today it's called deschooling.

I should point out that I'm the only parent who withdrew her children before the end of the school year. Apparently all of the other children were able to handle the rigidness of the classroom (school which use all ABeka tend to be very rigid). OTOH, several parents did not return their children the following fall.

FTR, ABeka has many good qualities. The early phonics instruction is very good, and I like the science. However, ABeka is tiresome, repetitious, redundant. The grammar/comp beats grammar to death every.single.year. History focuses on minutia, and chapter evaluations/quizzes/etc. are not challenging.

Edited by Ellie

Just now, Ellie said:

It is a common phenomena that it takes upwards of a year or more for a child to recover from being in a classroom. Dr. Raymond Moore talked about this. Today it's called deschooling.

Yes, I've heard of it plenty of times. I was curious about the specifics -- what were the negative effects you were overcoming and how did it go? I'm usually pretty interested in the nitty-gritty. 

18 minutes ago, LinRTX said:

I haven't seen Weaver mentioned in years! I started homeschooling in 1990 and this is what I used, or rather used as a springboard. I loved the pre-K /K material. After that I had the volumes but just loosely followed them. I did not like Abeka or Bob Jones. There were so few choices at the beginning. 

I think when the author sold it to Alpha Omega it lost its oomph.

Whatever happened to Tapestry of Grace?  That was much talked about back in the day.  I got a sample of it once, and while it looked like a good program, it was too intimidating for me.   You don't hear much about WinterPromise anymore, either.  I liked several of their programs when my boys were young -- "Animals and Their Worlds" and "Sea & Sky".  One of my favorite homeschooling years was WinterPromise "Quest for the Ancients."  I  stopped using WinterPromise when they switched to mostly digital products.  They used to have such issues with supply, and I guess going digital for the IGs and having customers source out the books themselves was their answer.   I didn't want to have to do that, so that was about the end of my relationship with WinterPromise.

• Like 1

It’ll be interesting to see what all the kids using TGTB & MB have to say in 20 years. Those are the new Abeka and BJU IMO. 

I wonder if the smaller, more traditional curriculum companies will be around much longer. Lifepac and HOD aren’t exactly “Instagram worthy.” These days, anyone can publish a curriculum and be successful if they know how to work social media and they can make it pretty. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Serenade said:

Whatever happened to Tapestry of Grace?  That was much talked about back in the day.  I got a sample of it once, and while it looked like a good program, it was too intimidating for me.   You don't hear much about WinterPromise anymore, either.  I liked several of their programs when my boys were young -- "Animals and Their Worlds" and "Sea & Sky".  One of my favorite homeschooling years was WinterPromise "Quest for the Ancients."  I  stopped using WinterPromise when they switched to mostly digital products.  They used to have such issues with supply, and I guess going digital for the IGs and having customers source out the books themselves was their answer.   I didn't want to have to do that, so that was about the end of my relationship with WinterPromise.

WP sunk themselves, sadly.  Their communication issues when it came to their shipping has stayed on longer than any good reviews they had. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Serenade said:

Whatever happened to Tapestry of Grace?  That was much talked about back in the day.  I got a sample of it once, and while it looked like a good program, it was too intimidating for me.   

A trend I'm seeing in this thread is that the programs that require more work from the teacher to put together and teach (such as BFSU) are falling off in favor of more open and go programs. It may be that the demographics of homeschoolers are shifting, as well as the reasons that people are choosing to homeschool. People who are homeschooling because they are passionate about their child's education probably aren't the same people who are putting their children in Time4Learning and walking away. 

• Like 8

I have done "Childhood Potential - Online Montessori Conference" twice. I've really enjoyed that one. Real information on how to teach and latest research not just a buy this curriculum conference. It's actually geared toward professional school teachers or people looking to start schools so there is a handful of that don't pertain to homeschooling at all like "How to have hard conversations with parents." 

Of course this particular conference is specific to Montessori, but perhaps there are other conferences for other styles as well geared toward professional teachers vs. homeschoolers. They might be a bit less about selling you a set of books/curriculum; since teachers seem to have no say over that anyways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoodnightMoogle said:

A trend I'm seeing in this thread is that the programs that require more work from the teacher to put together and teach (such as BFSU) are falling off in favor of more open and go programs. It may be that the demographics of homeschoolers are shifting, as well as the reasons that people are choosing to homeschool. People who are homeschooling because they are passionate about their child's education probably aren't the same people who are putting their children in Time4Learning and walking away. 

It may be true that newer homeschoolers are looking for less work from the teacher/parent, but I also think BFSU was challenging from the get go, even for experienced homeschoolers who are used to getting their hands dirty.  Some reasons for BFSU fails:

• Money.  Science can be equipment-intensive, and parents need to purchase everything, often stuff you are using once. 
  • Library access.  If you don't have a strong library system with an extensive catalog of children's science books, you are kind of out of luck.
  • Planning.  You need to be thinking several weeks and lessons ahead of time.   
  • Time.  The BFSU instructions are generally spot on, but I find that there information about tolerances is often neglected.  It really helps to run through the demonstrations ahead of time.  Sometimes I replaced suggested demonstrations with alternatives I found with a google search.  
  • That dern flow chart.  It really seems to throw everyone off, and I don't blame them.  I need a fair bit of uninterrupted time to wrap my head around it and get a plan going.  
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AnneGG said:

It’ll be interesting to see what all the kids using TGTB & MB have to say in 20 years. Those are the new Abeka and BJU IMO. 

I wonder if the smaller, more traditional curriculum companies will be around much longer. Lifepac and HOD aren’t exactly “Instagram worthy.” These days, anyone can publish a curriculum and be successful if they know how to work social media and they can make it pretty. 

I am in the South so Abeka and BJ are still going strong here. I am not seeing MB coming close to eclipsing them, but TGTB has a huge draw. As I said earlier, we tried both early on. I've noticed more people try and leave MB with time. But Randy touts himself as a salesman, and in their chatter groups they delete anything that isn't gushing praise. You aren't allowed to say anything negative or mention another company, so it's an echo chamber of MB-lovers. 

41 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

But Randy touts himself as a salesman, and in their chatter groups they delete anything that isn't gushing praise. You aren't allowed to say anything negative or mention another company, so it's an echo chamber of MB-lovers. 

Their app is something else. I recommended The Beginners Bible in a comment and it was deleted because it’s not published by MB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnneGG said:

Their app is something else. I recommended The Beginners Bible in a comment and it was deleted because it’s not published by MB. 

2 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

...  in their chatter groups they delete anything that isn't gushing praise. You aren't allowed to say anything negative or mention another company, so it's an echo chamber of MB-lovers. 

Cult-ish curricula was always a HARD PASS here.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Serenade said:

I wonder if part of the changing we feel like is happening is simply because our kids got older. Not all, but some. I remember looking at Tapestry when my oldest was really little, decided against it, and now hardly ever look at posts that talk about the younger years.  Part of it is getting confidence in your own teaching. The all-in-one curriculums are so tempting early on when everything feels overwhelming. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GoodnightMoogle said:

But I wonder how long those people are sticking with homeschooling? I'm really not sure, but I'd be curious to see numbers on people choosing specific programs and how long they homeschool.

• Like 3

On 5/15/2021 at 6:38 PM, WTM said:

These days, I think there is a certain amount of respect for homeschool parents - it’s seen as hard-core, committed, and out-of-the-box (in a good way); even, dare I say, entrepreneurial? In my neck of the woods, “customized education” is frequently spoken of - it’s part of the aspirational zeitgeist among the liberal elite and among the liberal do-gooders (which I use in the most respectful and appreciative sense of the term).  Homeschooling is the ultimate in customized education, and the broker or curator of said education gets a gold star from at least some parts of society.   .....But I do think it’s a real risk for homeschool moms — to tie a big part of their identity to their children’s education.

Yeah...this.   On the one hand, I want my hard work as a homeschooler to be valued.   I even put it on my job resume (I was applying for summer educational/childcare positions so I thought it was relevant).  So I kinda like that it's being given a little status.

But on the other hand, oh my gosh can that put pressure on, especially if your child struggles!   I was homeschooling BECAUSE my child had learning struggles...and there's this polarized dichotomy where, on the one hand, there's a whole bunch of people who think homeschooling is not real education, and this other group that assumes that homeschool is this high pinnacle of education and if you're doing it right your kids must be way ahead and great at everything.   And when you have kids who struggles it feels sometimes like you get judged by both sides. 

And when we decided to send my son back to school for a few years, and we were sending him back BEHIND.   Oh my word did that do a number on me.   I not only was loosing my identity as a homeschool mom, but I felt like a "failed homeschool mom"   (or was afraid that I was, even though I was doing what I thought was right for my child).  Looking back, I know I wasn't.   But dang, it hit me hard at the time.

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 14
  • Sad 1

On 5/16/2021 at 8:59 AM, GoodnightMoogle said:

I find on stuff that I'm already knowledgeable and passionate about, with a flexible open and go program I can supplement and add what I want (...at least with book based programs.   Video based programs I find  very hard to supplement because you can't skim).  I'm finding I like programs that are really simple and flexible at their base, which actually leaves more room for you to tweak and add your own touch to them. 

I bought some more work intensive stuff in the beginning, but regretted it.  The more stuff I had to do beforehand, the more likely it was that part got put off, and the less likely I was to actually keep up consistently with that curriculum.   I like things that have OPTIONS to do more complex, hands on, teacher intensive stuff when you want to, but that when things are hectic you can pare down to an easy bare minimum without much prep.

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 4

On 5/14/2021 at 2:47 PM, daijobu said:

When I started homeschooling about 10-15 years ago, all anyone would write about was BFSU, MCT and Singapore Math.  People still use Singapore Math, but I'm sad to see people seem to have given up on the others. 

It doesn’t fit the new trend of free and hands off and in front of a screen. 

BFSU was major work here and do so was MCT. We loved every minute if it, and my kids still scream out if they recognize old MCT vocab words. Such fun memories. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

MEP math? Is it still popular? 

It is with me. 😳 

ETA: I have seen that people find it confusing because there are lesson plans, student workbook, a few posters, and overhead versions of some exercises.

Edited by stripe
  • Like 3

I don't know if MEP or CSMP were ever super popular.  Both are niche programs that need to be printed, which always throws people off.  Plus, they require active teaching, which scares some people with math programs.  They prefer ones written to the kids, not to a teacher in a classroom.

We loved MEP for the levels we used it.  I still bring in the puzzles for my extra kids and they're always thrilled with them.  CSMP pages are welcome changes, too.  My own kid found a better fit with Gattegno, though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LMD said:

Don't see much about miquon or c rods these days! Where's bill? Those were his klaxon 😄

I think they've been taken over by the Singapore/Beast Academy crowd. FTR, neither of those appeal to me at all. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LMD said:

I still use bfsu, mct, singapore and MEP.

Don't see much about miquon or c rods these days! Where's bill? Those were his klaxon 😄

I’ve actually seen those recommended. They appealed to be as much as anything else.

2 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I think they've been taken over by the Singapore/Beast Academy crowd. FTR, neither of those appeal to me at all. 🙂

Why not?

It’s funny, because I see people recommend the things people say aren’t in style constantly 😂. But I quit the FB groups, because the only recommendation on the group I was in was that less school would fix everything...

When I think about the people I know in real life, lots of people use BA and Singapore. A friend uses Miquon, too. People seem to do their own thing for the non-core stuff. I suggested 100 EZ to a friend and I think they used it... hmmm. 

Oh, I know a few people using Math Mammoth and I think a family that uses Sonlight.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hey I use c-rods and Miquon!  And we use Singapore.   And MEP.  🙂 

It might not be the math du jour, but I really like using the mix of math in K-3rd grade (ish).  It builds a good math foundation.  I even throw boring old R&S math (done orally) in the mix as well. 

I used all those programs with my older ones, and now the younger ones get to do it as well.  I don't care if it's fashionable; it's what I have, it's what I can teach well, so we use it.

I can teach it because ***I took the time to read things, do things, and work it with the kids***.  I'm still in the weeds doing that for high school math. 

I agree that many new homeschoolers do not take the time/have the time to do that for all subjects for all the time.  

Not a judgement, just an observation.  I know that many of today's homeschoolers had this thrust upon them, and they are feeling like they are bungee jumping off a bridge.

• Like 8

I used Cuisinaire rods in elementary school, and my mom is a big fan. She has a friend who is active in math education, and has done some things specifically related to Cuisinaire rods. I’ve got some, but I haven’t seen them in years.

Programs like MEP, Miquon, CSMP, and Math Mammoth have a low graphic design budget look about them. Miquon especially (isn’t it handwritten?!). Good for the Moosewood crowd, I guess? Beast Academy is super slick looking, and Singapore is so cute. I definitely think that impacts people.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, stripe said:

I used Cuisinaire rods in elementary school, and my mom is a big fan. She has a friend who is active in math education, and has done some things specifically related to Cuisinaire rods. I’ve got some, but I haven’t seen them in years.

Programs like MEP, Miquon, CSMP, and Math Mammoth have a low graphic design budget look about them. Miquon especially (isn’t it handwritten?!). Good for the Moosewood crowd, I guess? Beast Academy is super slick looking, and Singapore is so cute. I definitely think that impacts people.

It’s funny, because my strong impression is that a lot more thought and testing went into Miquon than BA...

• Haha 3

I think visual social media has had a huge influence. Everyone wants curricula that looks pretty on Instagram, and kids doing math with rocks by the creek is much more sharable than kids outlining textbooks.

I say this as a relatively new homeschooler (2 yrs) who has frequently been seduced by pretty but pedagogically mediocre material 🤣

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, jrichstad said:

I think visual social media has had a huge influence. Everyone wants curricula that looks pretty on Instagram, and kids doing math with rocks by the creek is much more sharable than kids outlining textbooks.

I say this as a relatively new homeschooler (2 yrs) who has frequently been seduced by pretty but pedagogically mediocre material 🤣

Any examples? 😄 

Huh, I guess I've honestly never thought about posting pictures of our homeschooling on Instagram!! I've posted my kids' work before when I'm proud of it, but it's never because it's pretty, either! 

56 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

I have read Cathy Duffy's 102 Recs book, TWTM, and a host of other homeschool resources over the last 5 years and I recognize ToG, WP, HOD. I  don't recognize any of these: bfsu, mct, and MEP.

BFSU = Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

MCT = Michael Clay Thompson's Language Arts (Royal Fireworks Press is his company)

MEP = Mathematics Enhancement Programme 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Any examples? 😄 

Huh, I guess I've honestly never thought about posting pictures of our homeschooling on Instagram!! I've posted my kids' work before when I'm proud of it, but it's never because it's pretty, either! 

I searched for homeschooling outside Instagram and found these

https://www.homeschool-your-boys.com/benefits-of-homeschooling-outdoors/

https://www.thecurriculumchoice.com/the-outdoor-homeschool-take-your-homeschool-outside/

https://detroitmom.com/10-inspiring-homeschooling-accounts-to-follow-on-instagram/

And also

https://blossomandroot.com/tag/nature-based-homeschooling/

https://m.facebook.com/pg/bewildandfree/photos/

I think the same is true for raw vegan food. Lots of salads with purple flowers look prettier than (brown) stews.

Edited by stripe
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1