Menu

Bench or no bench? (kitchen table)

DawnM

We are going to replace our kitchen table.   I got it for free 18 months ago with the intention of refinishing and painting and reupholstering the chairs......but life has happened and I am way too busy to do anything about it, so I am replacing it.

Many of the tables I am looking at have bench seating on one side.  I haven't ever been a big bench fan, but I can see the appeal, particularly in our situation since older sons are in and out of the house and we can tuck it away when it isn't needed.

Thoughts? 

We love our bench!  I like being able to tuck it under or pull it out.  It’s great for kids.

The drawback is that some adults find it uncomfortable not to have a back, and to get on and off.  I don’t mind using it at all, but some people are clearly uncomfortable.

• Like 3

We've had a bench (ours has a back on it).  The only thing that we don't like is that if someone is sitting in the middle (ours holds 3 adults or 4 kids) its difficult for them to get in and out.  Ours is heavy, too, so it takes everyone standing up to get it to move in or out.   We usually now only have two people sitting it for school or most meals so that isn't nearly the problem.  One advantage is that we can squish more kids on if we need to when extra seats are needed around the table.

• Like 1

I wouldn't get a bench. We're all tall with long legs, so I don't think a bench would be as comfortable as chairs. I don't like the feeling of not being able to scoot back if I need more room, and getting up from a bench is a pain if you're stuck in the middle. 

• Like 2

We have an extendable bench. Eventually, we will probably replace it with chairs. It is the "kids area" and you get moved to a chair as you get older, but bumped back to the bench if we have visitors or dd#1 is home from college. So, great for young kids, IMO, not so much for older people.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DawnM said:

We are going to replace our kitchen table.   I got it for free 18 months ago with the intention of refinishing and painting and reupholstering the chairs......but life has happened and I am way too busy to do anything about it, so I am replacing it.

Many of the tables I am looking at have bench seating on one side.  I haven't ever been a big bench fan, but I can see the appeal, particularly in our situation since older sons are in and out of the house and we can tuck it away when it isn't needed.

Thoughts? 

Benches have been "in" for a while and hope it stays.  I like benches.  Has character.  But, it's personal preference.   After we move I'll be using a bench for eating somewhere.  Probably in kitchen nook and still have "chairs" for dining room table.  One thing to keep in mind which I don't think is common but my sister and bil did this as it was their only option.  BEFORE they remodeled their kitchen due to a flood, they had a table and benches in their kitchen.  The layout of their former kitchen was weird so this table set could only go in the corner/right  angle. Both benches were up against a wall.  One bench was up against a wall and the other an appliance.  So, point is - there was one way in to sit and one way out.  If your boys are going for seconds or whatever, the person on the outside will need to get up so the other can leave. That might get old over time.  If yours is open on all sides, that would work well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

We have an extendable bench. Eventually, we will probably replace it with chairs. It is the "kids area" and you get moved to a chair as you get older, but bumped back to the bench if we have visitors or dd#1 is home from college. So, great for young kids, IMO, not so much for older people.

I haven't seen an extendable bench.   What does it look like?

If this is your 'everyday for everybody' table then I would go with individual chairs. You can get tables that start small and extend, then you simply add chairs when needed. Much more flexibility with this plan. You could have a bench along a wall for extra seating when needed (we use our piano bench at times), or have other kinds of 'extra seating' in the form of folding chairs. 

If you are investing in a table you can use for decades, then think about who will be sitting at it in 10 - 20 years. What size will their body/legs be and will you expect them to sit for longish periods of time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I haven't ever been a big bench fan,

Maybe look for other kinds then? My mother got a round table that is more bar height. It has very comfy chairs that are easy to sit and chat at. I see a lot of these higher dining tables when I'm in furniture stores. I agree with the others that I would expect a bench for squishing in kids, not for chatting with adults. 

• Like 2

We inherited a very large dining room table with 6 chairs.  I think it was meant to be 2 chairs on each side and one on each end, but the table is huge for something meant to accommodate 6 - we have comfortably seated 10 before.  We got short benches for each end, which we love because they can be shoved under the end rather than sticking out and taking up more floor space.  Each has a little shelf under it, where we keep a couple of board games without cluttering the dining room.  Because the bench only seats 2, there isn't an issue with a middle seat.  We do normally but kids/youth/colllege-aged people on the benches and older people in chairs. My 6'1 teen seems to have claimed one bench/end of the table as his preferred school area this fall.  I'd find a chair more comfortable for lingering, but for seating for a meal I'd be fine with a bench.  

Edited by Clemsondana
  • Like 3

I don't like benches.  It's a pain being stuck in the middle of one and being stuck next to someone who has longer legs or longer arms.  I'm 5'1" and my husband is 6'.  We have different ideas about how far a bench should be from the table. And people who aren't great with physical boundaries and controlling their bodies are a constant irritant to those who really hate being bumped and touched, often by someone completely oblivious they're doing it. How do these people not know!?!?!?! How?  How do they not know!?!?!??!

• Like 7

I’ve seen a lot more benches now that open floor plans are so common—they work well visually because your view of the room is not broken up by a line of chair backs.

Having said that, I’m all about versatility, and benches don’t meet that need for me.  I only ever have had dining tables that have adjustable sizes, whether by adding leafs or popping up ends or extensions.  So a fixed length bench would not be attractive to me.  Also, I don’t care for the ‘everyone has to move because Johnny has to go to the bathroom’ thing with built in benches/booths, and also the challenge in where to put the bench in relation to how close it needs to be to the table for everyone to be comfortable.  

To me, benches are for picnics, and even then, prefer chairs.  YMMV.

• Like 4

I find benches extremely uncomfortable and won't sit on one for longer than a few minutes (so not the length of a meal). I do love the way they look, but they definitely don't work for me, even as a guest. 

29 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

It's a pain being stuck in the middle of one and being stuck next to someone who has longer legs or longer arms.  I'm 5'1" and my husband is 6'.  We have different ideas about how far a bench should be from the table. And people who aren't great with physical boundaries and controlling their bodies are a constant irritant to those who really hate being bumped and touched, often by someone completely oblivious they're doing it.  

Plus all of these things. 

• Thanks 1

If you’re not actually sitting on the bench, then they’re great. You can put them under the table and the room feels bigger.

But if you’re actually going to sit on it, then I don’t like them. They are very uncomfortable after just a short amount of time.

If your sons will rarely be at home and rarely using the bench, then get what works for the room. But if they’ll be at home and eating at home regularly, then get them chairs. Or if you never expect anyone to linger at the table then get the bench.  But if there is any lingering over meals or playing board games at the table or doing crafts at the table....no bench.

• Like 4

When we get a new kitchen table, it will be with a bench.  But our table is next to a wall, it has to sit out further into the kitchen to allow room for the chairs, and the chairs knock into the wall.  We would have four chairs. So the bench wouldn’t be the main seating, except for one kid.  

I wouldn’t do it for a dining room table, but a kitchen table yes.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2020 at 9:43 AM, Carol in Cal. said:

So a fixed length bench would not be attractive to me.  

Our bench & table were made by the Amish. The bench is 36" with no leafs in it. With its 3 leafs, it is 6' long.

@DawnMPlease excuse the mess!! I included pictures with all leafs in, no leafs, and what it looks like as you pull it out to make room for the extensions.

Edited by RootAnn
Removed pics
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Our bench & table were made by the Amish. The bench is 36" with no leafs in it. With its 3 leafs, it is 6' long.

@DawnMPlease excuse the mess!! I included pictures with all leafs in, no leafs, and what it looks like as you pull it out to make room for the extensions.

20201222_111549.jpg

20201222_111537.jpg

20201222_111518.jpg

20201222_111513.jpg

I LOVE it!   Did you order and have it shipped or did you buy locally?

Benches for dining table has the same issue as picnic tables for school cafeteria. It’s hard to “climb” in and out the middle portion. 

However, if I like the design overall, I would use the bench as a shoe bench or window bench and just buy more chairs for the dining table. 

We use our bench as a TV stand. 

• Like 1

I will add that, as I said, I don't love the benches for lingering.  But, for playing games and working puzzles they have been fine.  I think it's because we learn forward to do those, while at a meal we sit up straight.  I don't know if it matters, but it may be something to consider depending on how you plan to use the room.  

• Like 1

I LOVE benches. I am always drawn to them when we are out. For some people they might not be the most comfortable option, but that is why you also have chairs! A bench is easy to move around the house and works great as a foot rest or an extra coffee table - just put a tray on it. 

• Like 1

Looks like mixed reviews!  Some great thoughts on why not to or why TO get a bench.

The bench would be for when the 6 of us are all together.    And maybe even allow for 7 with my dad here.   I would have seats and a bench, not only benches.     

7 hours ago, katilac said:

I find benches extremely uncomfortable and won't sit on one for longer than a few minutes (so not the length of a meal). I do love the way they look, but they definitely don't work for me, even as a guest. 

Plus all of these things. 

But you can place a single cushion pillow top on the benchseat!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Looks like mixed reviews!  Some great thoughts on why not to or why TO get a bench.

The bench would be for when the 6 of us are all together.    And maybe even allow for 7 with my dad here.   I would have seats and a bench, not only benches.     

Get a pillow top cushion for the benchseat

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, sheryl said:

But you can place a single cushion pillow top on the benchseat!

Oh, sorry, I meant it was uncomfortable for my back more than my bottom, lol. It gets uncomfortable pretty quickly, and it doesn't take long for a backache to set in. I don't think that's unusual, so something to consider if it will be used for guests. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, katilac said:

Oh, sorry, I meant it was uncomfortable for my back more than my bottom, lol. It gets uncomfortable pretty quickly, and it doesn't take long for a backache to set in. I don't think that's unusual, so something to consider if it will be used for guests. 

Yes, that's true but eating a meal at a table is not an all-day event.  Believe me, I know  it could but not likely.  LOL!  Backaches are not fun.  I posted up that my sister had one that was wedged in a right angle.  One bench was up against a wall and the other bench was up against an appliance.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Why would you move them around?

With the cushion you place anti-slip rubber under.

benches aren't that wide, so even with non slip stuff, they tend to not stay in place that well and my boys do move while they sit....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

benches aren't that wide, so even with non slip stuff, they tend to not stay in place that well and my boys do move while they sit....

There are different style benches.  Sorry that's the case b/c my sister hasn't had an issue with hers.  Hope something works out for you!

• Like 1

We have a bench, which was great when the kids were small, because we could fit 3 kids along one side of the table when we had visitors. But now that the kids are bigger they don’t like it and have started using chairs instead, and grownups never liked sitting on the bench. It’s along the wall instead of at the table now.

• Like 1

Thanks all.   We found a nice Bassett brand counter height tall table with 6 chairs.    We love it!   No benches.   There is room for 8 if we need it, and we have a couple of counter height stools (no backs) we can use if we need to have more seating.

Now to dress it up.   I have plans, just need to buy the decor!

• Like 4

My favorite table, that unfortunately did not make it 3 moves ago, had a bench with backs and storage. We had the bench pushed up against a wall because it was heavy with stuff inside the storage part. I loved it. I want to get one again when we move in January. 

• Like 2

Speaking of pews—I hunted for ages and finally found a short length, antique church pew made the old way—comfortable without cushioning, and very heavy — too heavy to slide back into the wall when someone sits on it, and too heavy to be tippy.  It is in the mud room, where it is absolutely ideal (and gorgeous!) for changing in and out of snow boots  or muddy hiking footwear.  I keep a black plastic tray under it for wet or snowy gear to drip into—it slides out from underneath easily.

But I would *never* put this at a table unless the table itself could be easily slid away as it is way too heavy to move up close or far away for eating or access.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Speaking of pews—I hunted for ages and finally found a short length, antique church pew made the old way—comfortable without cushioning, and very heavy — too heavy to slide back into the wall when someone sits on it, and too heavy to be tippy.  It is in the mud room, where it is absolutely ideal (and gorgeous!) for changing in and out of snow boots  or muddy hiking footwear.  I keep a black plastic tray under it for wet or snowy gear to drip into—it slides out from underneath easily.

But I would *never* put this at a table unless the table itself could be easily slid away as it is way too heavy to move up close or far away for eating or access.

I don't have a mud room.   I saw many homes with mud rooms and I liked them, but some other priorities won out when we were house hunting.