Menu

Careers for Outdoor Types?

JumpyTheFrog

1 hour ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

What are some careers to look at for a kid who likes to be outdoors? I'm specifically looking for ideas that aren't just $15/hour kind of jobs like river rafting guide or things like that. Most of the jobs I've thought of so far are blue-collar jobs that destroy people's bodies by 50.

don't knock river guide.  I've a friend who did that while he was in college, level five.  (he'd still manage to get in half a dozen river trips a year after he had kids) His son has done that while he was in college.

If you want serious education, that spends time outside -

Vulcanologist

Seismologist

Oil field engineer

here are some others

a niece's dh is a landscape architect.  Unless you go into business for yourself - you're a peon and he was designing parking lots (all the planters, etc.)  not sure if it contributed to his back problems.   He became a software architect instead. 

astronomers spend their time on mt tops, at night. (at least you can drive there, even the observatories on top of Mauna Loa gets snow and ice).  when the doors for the 'scope are open, it's cold.

another lists

Edited by gardenmom5

42 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

I have a friend that runs one of our state parks and it seems like an amazing job for an outdoorsy sort. Housing is included in the job, she can switch parks when she wants/needs and she loves it. 

My former neighbor was a forest ranger at Yellowstone before he became an MD. He just loved it. He’s in his 80s and is still as outdoorsy as ever. Hasn't slowed down much at all.

My niece is a mining engineer and one aspect of her job is to inspect the exterior. She’s outside in nature all the time. She likes the people she works with, and the money’s pretty good, too.

Two of my brothers worked for oil operations in Alaska and North Dakota. Work can be hard but can pay very well if you get the right job. Jobs can come and go, though.

Edited by BeachGal
added a word
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

I'm not sure if Los Angeles is unique in this regard (or not) but jobs with Water and Power pay unbelievably well and are virtually guaranteed for life.

I'm sure some (like line-men jobs) get harder at 50, but those working DWP here are making bank.

Bill

My dh works in Water and Wastewater. It's not what we'd consider HIGH paying here in Middle Tennessee but they are very well paying jobs, especially when for many of them (electricians, mechanics, technicians) you don't have to have a college degree. And yes, they're under civil service, so barring something completely ridiculous in disciplinary, it's hard to get fired (layoffs don't happen). My dh does have very good benefits too, with a pension and good insurance.  If you do get a degree, they are very well paying. Biology and Engineering are two degrees that are useful in water. 

And linemen...yes, that's another job that pays amazingly well for the education required in our area. 

Also

Working for the Wildlife Agency. My dd has a bio major (or will when she graduates) and has thought of trying to find a job with TWRA.

Surveyor (lots of walking, but it's not terrible) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

My dh works in Water and Wastewater. It's not what we'd consider HIGH paying here in Middle Tennessee but they are very well paying jobs, especially when for many of them (electricians, mechanics, technicians) you don't have to have a college degree. And yes, they're under civil service, so barring something completely ridiculous in disciplinary, it's hard to get fired (layoffs don't happen). My dh does have very good benefits too, with a pension and good insurance.  If you do get a degree, they are very well paying. Biology and Engineering are two degrees that are useful in water. 

And linemen...yes, that's another job that pays amazingly well for the education required in our area. 

Also

Working for the Wildlife Agency. My dd has a bio major (or will when she graduates) and has thought of trying to find a job with TWRA.

Surveyor (lots of walking, but it's not terrible) 

I had a DWP guy here tell me that about the only way someone could get fired would be to get into a fistfight with another worker. LOL.

So these are the sorts of jobs--good pay, lifetime security, good benefits--that barely exist in this country anymore. A secure middle-class existence and often w/o the need for a college degree.

Bill

• Like 2

Another career idea that might take off in the future is designing and setting up specialized irrigation, such as drip and saline irrigation, done on a large scale. Desalination careers as well. Israel is a leader in these areas and has partnered with the US on some projects here, iirc. Might be a way to farm in the deserts.

https://www.israel21c.org/?s=Saline+irrigation

3 hours ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

What are some careers to look at for a kid who likes to be outdoors? I'm specifically looking for ideas that aren't just $15/hour kind of jobs like river rafting guide or things like that. Most of the jobs I've thought of so far are blue-collar jobs that destroy people's bodies by 50.

My brother-in-law is a wildlife biologist. He works for Fish and Game and has a really cool job. 

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

a niece's dh is a landscape architect.  Unless you go into business for yourself - you're a peon and he was designing parking lots (all the planters, etc.)  not sure if it contributed to his back problems.   He became a software architect instead. 

Yes, landscape architects are not well paid in general. It is possible to make very good money as a landscape contractor, but not so much as a landscape architect.

3 hours ago, TrulySusan said:

Forestry. Wildlife ecology and management . Look through majors at your nearest ag school- it’s amazing the things they offer. DDs school even has a “soil” major 😂

DD22 just wrote a 10 page research paper on sustainable farming/soil management. She had a hard time whittling it down to 10 pages. haha I am certain that the professor doesn't get to read papers about soil very often (not an ag school) so hopefully he enjoyed the topic!  LOL It really was a very interesting read. She is planning a degree in conservation biology but having to go very slow due to her ow health struggles. I love hearing her talk about biodiversity and soil. It really is a passion for her.

• Like 3

Law enforcement via Wildlife and Fisheries or state/national parks. 

Charter boat captains seem to make good money around here. 

A lot of the jobs on the various lists really don't spend the majority of the time outside - like most marine engineers are in their office more than they are on-site, and on-site isn't necessarily 'outside' most of the time. 

Certain types of jobs for electricians involve a fair amount of time outside, along with driving to various locations and basically not being tied to an office. 

The right kind of sales jobs can involve some time spend outside on-site, also lots of drive time and not being tied to an office every day (or at all, depending). Pick the right job and industry, and you may also spend a fair amount of time outside on the golf course or on a chartered fishing boat, lol. That's how those charter captains make their money. 

If shipyard is a possibility, there are generally lots of outdoor jobs and you can usually start entry level and get a feel for what you would like to train for. There are a few ways to go that would still involve outdoor work even as you progress to supervisory or project manager type levels. 

Similar to shipyard would be oil and gas - tons of outdoor jobs available, if you are reliable and hardworking, you generally get the chance to train for something better. 

1 hour ago, Tap said:

DD22 just wrote a 10 page research paper on sustainable farming/soil management. She had a hard time whittling it down to 10 pages. haha I am certain that the professor doesn't get to read papers about soil very often (not an ag school) so hopefully he enjoyed the topic!  LOL It really was a very interesting read. She is planning a degree in conservation biology but having to go very slow due to her ow health struggles. I love hearing her talk about biodiversity and soil. It really is a passion for her.

Modern marvels did an episode on dirt. (season 15).  2ds was annoyed with me for deleting it (I recorded them for dudeling when he was little.)

it was quite interesting.  as were their episodes on salt, iron, etc.

I forgot Agronomy. And DH’s relative that was a national park park ranger. The pay wasn’t great but most of the jobs included housing. Small houses, but that boosts income a bit. 

BTW, of the biologists I know, only the water biologists spend more than 50% of their time outside. They test for stuff like chemicals, waste, toxins, and algae blooms. 

My dd wants to be in an outdoor intensive career.  She is starting with environmental engineering with a loose plan to go into ecology, forestry, or environmental science for grad school.  We know several faculty in these areas and they spend a good part of their year outdoors doing various field work.  I think the state park job would be her dream come true.

Our local community college has dual enrollment classes available that include geomatics, which seems to be a certificate related to surveying. When DS is old enough I might have him take one of the courses to see what he thinks.

Any ideas for high school opportunities in any of the fields mentioned in this thread? We don't know anybody in any of these careers.