Menu

Best thing you bought in last few years under $100?

Alicia64

I bought this little metal garden ornament this fall. I named him Wawa after the giant statue of a Canada Goose in Wawa, Ontario. He is so cute and I love watching him survive the snow. His head and body get buried deeper and deeper as more snow comes until he's just a bump in the garden. Before that point, though, he is literally like an ostrich with his head buried in the snow instead of sand. 😄

IMG_20201116_102232958.jpg

image.jpeg.4f7389c37372a6d5523ce98bb5e7ead1.jpeg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, matrips said:

Thanks.  Does it brighten the room, or just the area where where you are working/reading? 

I’m sitting in a room without adequate lighting. One nice, bright floor lamp, but the other side of the room needs light too.  I’m not a lamp person.

Mostly the area where I'm working.  I'm not a big lamp person, either, but my room doesn't have overhead lighting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Just Kate said:

Do you have a certain weighted blanket you recommend? This would be for my 16 year old, weight lifting ds. I have always thought he may benefit from a weighted blanket and thinking of getting him one for Christmas. 

2 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

I know I would benefit from one. When I was a child, I would sleep with 5 blankets on top of me and the window open. @crazyforlatin please post a link!

https://www.amazon.com/Quility-Premium-Weighted-Removable-Individual/dp/B07DLGVLMQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2WTI9OFLPQYYV&dchild=1&keywords=weighted+blanket&qid=1606715133&sprefix=Weighted+%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQ1VFSldTWVdHRFFDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjc0MDMwMlhNWTdLUjdGRks4WCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDA0MzUyMjNaMEdQRzJZRDMzTyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Bought 3 last year because we don't heat the house, and it keeps us quite warm. I bought a 10# and a higher one, 12#, and eventually a 25# but I don't use the 25# as it's too heavy.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

These types of walking poles are also great for walking on sand. Dh uses them when he walks on the beach and says they really give him a workout.

We love our Sodastream. We have the basic model that Laura mentioned. There are a very few occasions when we actually want soda so I keep a couple of flavors on hand. Most of the time we just want fizzy water though. I've tried the various flavor essences and they're hit or miss. Usually we just add fruit such as strawberries or lemon, or we'll use cucumbers. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Total hijack, but are those of you with electric blankets & such not old enough (or too old) for hot flashes?

I'm 56. For some reason, I never had a single hot flash. I once read that vegetarians don't get them, but an OB told me that wasn't true.

It seems like we'd need a study to know for sure if being vegetarian does anything.

Maybe it's just part of my genetics.

Hang in there -- I've heard it's very difficult.

W.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Total hijack, but are those of you with electric blankets & such not old enough (or too old) for hot flashes? I go between feeling fine under the covers to wanting to stand outside in the snow. Rinse, wash, repeat. All night. [My vitamins that kept the hot flashes at bay went AWOL during the pandemic & I haven't ordered them since they went back in stock.]

Sorry. I'm cold all day and hot at night. DH is exactly opposite. So the heated part is really for his benefit. If i get too hot at night uncovering arms or feet has done the trick so far. From reading on the forum, i don't think i get anything that counts as a hot flash, maybe "occasional nocturnal periods of warmth". I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Oh, and I'm not vegetarian for what that is worth.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2020 at 5:29 PM, RootAnn said:

Total hijack, but are those of you with electric blankets & such not old enough (or too old) for hot flashes? I go between feeling fine under the covers to wanting to stand outside in the snow. Rinse, wash, repeat. All night. [My vitamins that kept the hot flashes at bay went AWOL during the pandemic & I haven't ordered them since they went back in stock.]

We have an electric mattress pad and I'm definitely in hot flash territory.   But usually I start off cold and got hot later.  We preheat the bed, then the pad automatically turns down to the lowest setting.  If I still get hot, I just reach over and turn it off, or stick a foot out because that's usually enough. 

• Like 2

Not an amazing gift idea, but we use those hot rice pillows to heat the bed vs a water bottle. Pop them in the microwave 2 min, and the bed is toasty when you climb in! My kids have given hand-made ones to their cousins, too, which have been quite well received. 

We also love the low-end model SodaStream.

Best under-$100 purchase: 

KindleUnlimited

shearling wool house slippers LLBean

high-quality flannel sheets

roaster oven $35 on sale (doubles my oven space)

13 x 9 crock pot ($25-35-ish, awkward to store, wonderful to use)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We also have the basic model—we have been using it since 2010ish. My only cautionary tale is that at times it is hard to get a carbon dioxide refill or to get syrups. Keep a good supply on hand, and stalk amazon. They are currently better supplied than Walmart, Target, and BBB.

I just saw some at Wegmans tonight. It’s in housewares, not with the sodas. They exchange the tanks too. 

In the just under $20.00 range, we've been very happy with Dr. Brown's Soft Glow Nightlight & Timer which we acquired earlier this year. It has seven preset times (1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 20, and 30 minutes) each with an associated color. So, for example, 5 minutes is always red. There is also a thirty minute nightlight feature which can be any color. Neither my husband nor I are fans of loud noises, so we use this often. We take our blood pressure each morning after sitting for several minutes so use this to alert us when it's time. We also use it when steeping tea. My husband uses the nightlight feature to remind himself to take a medication before bed. It recharges through a USB connection.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 3:09 PM, KungFuPanda said:

To piggy back off of all these, I also bought an electric mattress pad. It’s true love. I could sell these things! I can turn on my side only and it doesn’t slip like a blanket can. It feels amazing when my back is sore. I tried, and loved, flannel sheets, but Dh acted like he was going to burst into flames.  

Adding this to my wishlist! I've wanted one forever but going to justify it as a way to put heat on my sore SI joint! (hard to justify otherwise in Florida, lol)

Wondering, can I get a twin, and just put it on my side, maybe draped over the side of the bed a bit? DH will NEVER use it, so seems silly to pay an extra $40-60 for the queen size with dual controls. 

Edited by ktgrok

6 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

I'm 56. For some reason, I never had a single hot flash. I once read that vegetarians don't get them, but an OB told me that wasn't true.

It seems like we'd need a study to know for sure if being vegetarian does anything.

Maybe it's just part of my genetics.

Hang in there -- I've heard it's very difficult.

W.

I'm perimenopause and vegetarian and having hot flashes like crazy.

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Adding this to my wishlist! I've wanted one forever but going to justify it as a way to put heat on my sore SI joint! (hard to justify otherwise in Florida, lol)

Wondering, can I get a twin, and just put it on my side, maybe draped over the side of the bed a bit? DH will NEVER use it, so seems silly to pay an extra $40-60 for the queen size with dual controls. 

I think the best part about it is that it stays put and doesn’t slip. If you get a twin it won’t stay on and will bunch in the middle. My Dh didn’t turn his side on until the 3rd year we had it. 🤣

Mattress heater is my #1. If I get cold, I stiffen. Heat loosens me up. It’s the difference between pain, meh, and PAIN. Mine broke this summer. I made it until about early October when DH ordered another. I love him. 💕 

Wool socks

Plants don’t count, right?

The Echo Dot was cheap but Amazon Music subscription is pure joy. I’d forgo tv before I’d go back to radio. 

Electric tea kettle

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I think the best part about it is that it stays put and doesn’t slip. If you get a twin it won’t stay on and will bunch in the middle. My Dh didn’t turn his side on until the 3rd year we had it. 🤣

Ok, you convinced me 🙂

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Electric tea kettle is a good one! I had no idea how often I would use it - often to heat water for instant mashed potatoes, grits, oatmeal, etc for the kids but also to heat water to mix with better than bouillon. And for tea, etc. 

The French press and our electric kettle are used no less than 4 times every day. And that’s just by me. Everyone uses the kettle. My daughter has a contraband one in her dorm and sweared she’d rather be evicted than do without it.  And she is a major rule follower kind of gal 99% of the time.  Lol

remote control fake candles are my best purchase suggestion.  They last years  and add just the right low lighting and ambiance to any room. I have multiple sets throughout to the house. They are set on a timer too!  The remote let’s me decide to turn them in and set several hour(s) long intervals for it to go off. So all of mine come on at 8pm and stay on for 5 hours. Perfect to light the way through the living room when people come in late or to let the pup to potty. In the bedroom they go off after 3 hours. Or I’ll grab the remote next to my bed and turn them off.  Bathroom is almost always lit for a late night preschooler to pee. Electricity goes out? No problem.  They’ve been a huge hit for everyone I’ve bought them for. And at <$30 that’s really gratifying gift giving. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I just saw some at Wegmans tonight. It’s in housewares, not with the sodas. They exchange the tanks too. 

Soda Stream in the UK does tank exchange by post. I  put down deposits for five tanks, and when four are used up, I send off for more. 

They are a responsive company here. About a year ago they surveyed all their customers to ask us what was the best way to organise gas exchange. 

Electric kettles are just normal equipment here. Every rental would have one, for example. 

Edited by Laura Corin

19 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Soda Stream in the UK does tank exchange by post. I  put down deposits for five tanks, and when four are used up, I send off for more. 

They are a responsive company here. About a year ago they surveyed all their customers to ask us what was the best way to organise gas exchange. 

Electric kettles are just normal equipment here. Every rental would have one, for example. 

I see you your electric kettle and I raise you a water boiler. I’ve had a zojirushi water boiler running continuously for about 15 years. I’m too impatient to even wait for an electric kettle. I use my water boiler for everything all day long. Usually, it’s set for black tea, but sometimes I lower the temp if I’m in the mood for green or white. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Really? That's so interesting to me.  It does make me wonder what else we either take for granted or don't know about.....

Toaster ovens are really rare here, by contrast. 

Other home things that are quite different: bathroom light switches in the UK have to be either pull-cords or outside the room by law.  Most heating is by sealed water-filled radiators - air-based heating is very rare.

9 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Some women freeze. Some women get hot flashes. It varies. 

I had terrible insomnia.

Someone recommend lemon balm made into a tea and it really helped a lot. It's safe -- they give it to dementia patients to deal with sun downers syndrome.

W.

This cardigan. I had wanted one for years and this year finally decided to get one. I purposely waited until the Nordstrom anniversary sale during the summer and bought one for myself for $68. I absolutely love it and wear it every single day over my pjs when I first wake up. It was a splurge (Even at $68!!), but I’ll get tons of use out of it since I wear it as a pj cover-up and it’s cold for 6 months of the year here. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Electric tea kettle is a good one! I had no idea how often I would use it - often to heat water for instant mashed potatoes, grits, oatmeal, etc for the kids but also to heat water to mix with better than bouillon. And for tea, etc. 

How is it better than just using the microwave?   I am a tea drinker that just pops it into the microwave.  Wondering if I need this in my life.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

How is it better than just using the microwave?   I am a tea drinker that just pops it into the microwave.  Wondering if I need this in my life.  

Microwaved water is not at an even temperature throughout.  It looks as if it's boiling, but due to the way that a microwave works, the heating will be uneven.  An electric kettle is really boiling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

Microwaved water is not at an even temperature throughout.  It looks as if it's boiling, but due to the way that a microwave works, the heating will be uneven.  An electric kettle is really boiling.

Oh.  I guess I don't need that for tea.  I don't boil the water. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

No clue.  I just microwave water for 2 mins.   Yeah I do black tea.  Am I a horrible tea drinker or something?  

Well..... you are talking to a Brit..... so.....  This is the method that most Brits would consider normal (not fancy):

https://www.yorkshiretea.co.uk/our-teas/how-to-make-a-proper-brew

I use leaf tea, so this is roughly what I do:

https://www.brewteacompany.co.uk/blogs/the-blog/how-to-make-loose-leaf-tea

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

Well..... you are talking to a Brit..... so.....  This is the method that most Brits would consider normal (not fancy):

https://www.yorkshiretea.co.uk/our-teas/how-to-make-a-proper-brew

I use leaf tea, so this is roughly what I do:

https://www.brewteacompany.co.uk/blogs/the-blog/how-to-make-loose-leaf-tea

I use bagged tea.  I will have to look into it to see what I am doing wrong. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

The French press and our electric kettle are used no less than 4 times every day. And that’s just by me. Everyone uses the kettle. My daughter has a contraband one in her dorm and sweared she’d rather be evicted than do without it.  And she is a major rule follower kind of gal 99% of the time.  Lol

remote control fake candles are my best purchase suggestion.  They last years  and add just the right low lighting and ambiance to any room. I have multiple sets throughout to the house. They are set on a timer too!  The remote let’s me decide to turn them in and set several hour(s) long intervals for it to go off. So all of mine come on at 8pm and stay on for 5 hours. Perfect to light the way through the living room when people come in late or to let the pup to potty. In the bedroom they go off after 3 hours. Or I’ll grab the remote next to my bed and turn them off.  Bathroom is almost always lit for a late night preschooler to pee. Electricity goes out? No problem.  They’ve been a huge hit for everyone I’ve bought them for. And at <$30 that’s really gratifying gift giving. 

Do you have a recommendation for good fake candles? 

46 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

😲 You definitely need this in your life. 😁

39 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh.  I guess I don't need that for tea.  I don't boil the water. 

You can use the boiling water from a tea kettle for a number of other things like instant oatmeal and ramen. You should definitely try it for tea, though! I hate the way tea tastes when it's made in a microwave. Do you have a friend who has one so you can try it? If after trying it you prefer it from the microwave, that's fine, but you've got to try it! LOL!

An electric tea kettle is probably the only consistent appliance that I've had since moving out of my parents' house. We even have a travel one that folds down that DH takes on his trips to make coffee and tea! I'm originally from England, though, so realize that this is a bit extreme for most others. HA!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

If you are enjoying your tea and not making it for me, there's no 'wrong' involved.

OMG  *We* might be wrong! https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodandwine.com/news/healthiest-way-brew-your-tea-microwave-it%3famp=true

I don’t care. I’m not microwaving tea. Besides, one of the things that makes tea enjoyable for me is the process. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Great, now I want a kettle! When will I learn to stay off of these threads?!

Does anybody have a preference on stove top vs electric? Or the best budget friendly? I’m not getting a Breville for this! (Brace yourselves...we make tea in this house using the hot water button from our Keurig😂)

Edited by mmasc
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Does antibody have a preference on stove top vs electric? Or the best budget friendly? I’m not getting a Breville for this! (Brace yourselves...we make tea in this house using the hot water button from our Keurig😂)

Electric is just much quicker and more convenient.  Speed is great, but so also is  the automatic off switch once it has boiled, so it can't boil dry.  Mine is a cheap plastic one from a supermarket - it works fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

OMG  *We* might be wrong! https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodandwine.com/news/healthiest-way-brew-your-tea-microwave-it%3famp=true

I don’t care. I’m not microwaving tea. Besides, one of the things that makes tea enjoyable for me is the process. 

You will be relieved to know that the research is misrepresented in that article: the method actually starts by pouring boiling water over the tea, letting it steep for 30 seconds, and then microwaving it for a minute. The microwaving is an add-on to regular brewing to extract a bit more catechins and caffeine, not a method of brewing by itself. The study says this method doesn't work if you don't start with boiling water — and it warns that this method may make the tea taste "more bitter and astringent."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0889157512000828

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

Could you tell me more about this? Is it dual voltage? Durable?

DH is an airline pilot that uses this while on the road and he's on the road over 2/3 of the month. He really likes it and it's lasted well over lots of use since I bought it for him in June. It's dual voltage. I wouldn't get it as a main kettle, just because it's not huge,  but it's great for travel as it folds flat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WSTWJZ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

Does antibody have a preference on stove top vs electric? Or the best budget friendly? I’m not getting a Breville for this! (Brace yourselves...we make tea in this house using the hot water button from our Keurig😂)

I got mine about 7 years ago and that was to replace one that lasted me 10 years previously so the cost per usage for us is negligible. If I were going to get another one I'd probably get the cheapest I could find for the price because they all essentially do the same thing. This one looks good:

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Electric-SpeedBoil-Borosilicate-Protection/dp/B07TZ5YHJN/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=electric%2Bkettle&qid=1606846275&rnid=1055398&s=kitchen&sr=1-4&th=1

ETA: We only use filtered water in our electric kettles. I don't know if it makes a difference but I don't have to descale it a lot and the water tastes better to me (may be placebo effect, however!)

Edited by importswim
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I just fainted.  Asking gently: is this black tea, and at what temperature does the water hit the leaves...?

I drink all my tea between 160-180 F (71-82 C)  which is why I got the stove top kettle with the built in thermometer.  It's never boiling.  If it boils it's prone to be too bitter for my tastes. I drink green teas, camomiles, lemon ginger, and mint teas.

I got the stove top kettle because I live on the edge of hurricane territory and they have other storms too. Those cause prolonged power outages.  And there's just something off about the power company here. Usually power outages happen during storms, but it's not unheard of to have one an hour or two after the storm!? Weird. We switched to a gas range converted for our propane tank so I can cook inside during an outage.  It's annoying to cook on a BBQ grill just under the part of the roof that hangs over the garage during a storm.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

I drink all my tea between 160-180 F (71-82 C)  which is why I got the stove top kettle with the built in thermometer.  It's never boiling.  If it boils it's prone to be too bitter for my tastes. I drink green teas, camomiles, lemon ginger, and mint teas.

I got the stove top kettle because I live on the edge of hurricane territory and they have other storms too. Those cause prolonged power outages.  And there's just something off about the power company here. Usually power outages happen during storms, but it's not unheard of to have one an hour or two after the storm!? Weird. We switched to a gas range converted for our propane tank so I can cook inside during an outage.  It's annoying to cook on a BBQ grill just under the part of the roof that hangs over the garage during a storm.

Green tea is better at a lower temperature,  you're right.

• Like 1