Menu

Best thing you bought in last few years under $100?

Alicia64

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Toaster ovens are really rare here, by contrast. 

Other home things that are quite different: bathroom light switches in the UK have to be either pull-cords or outside the room by law.  Most heating is by sealed water-filled radiators - air-based heating is very rare.

Are coffee makers also standard in rentals/hotels? Or is it a strictly kettle-centric society.  I have an exclusive relationship with tea, so I wouldn't be mad it the coffee crow had to suck it up for a change.

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

Great, now I want a kettle! When will I learn to stay off of these threads?!

Does anybody have a preference on stove top vs electric? Or the best budget friendly? I’m not getting a Breville for this! (Brace yourselves...we make tea in this house using the hot water button from our Keurig😂)

I know right?  I end up getting stuff I didn't know I couldn't live without, but I have been for decades.  But really I love it.  Getting a lot of real feedback on what things are good to buy is SO helpful.  And honestly the smallest thing can make your life so much better.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Are coffee makers also standard in rentals/hotels? Or is it a strictly kettle-centric society.  I have an exclusive relationship with tea, so I wouldn't be mad it the coffee crow had to suck it up for a change.

Mostly just kettles.  You will often find a French press for coffee.

21 minutes ago, kand said:

i’ve been trying to think what the reason would be for this law, and I’m stumped. What’s the reason for this?

I figured it was to turn off the lights on a teen who had been in the bathroom for too long. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I had an electric kettle but it stopped working pretty quickly.  I have a glass tea kettle that goes on the stove and I use that everyday.   I put it on when I first get up, then go in the bathroom to take care of things and by the time I'm done, it's usually just starting to boil.   I put the tea bags (one black, one green) in the kettle while it's heating, have one cup and put my cozy over it to keep it warm for my second cup.  

If I drink tea later in the day, I just microwave it a cup at a time.  Usually that will be chai tea. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DorothyNJ said:

I had an electric kettle but it stopped working pretty quickly.  I have a glass tea kettle that goes on the stove and I use that everyday.   I put it on when I first get up, then go in the bathroom to take care of things and by the time I'm done, it's usually just starting to boil.   I put the tea bags (one black, one green) in the kettle while it's heating, have one cup and put my cozy over it to keep it warm for my second cup.  

Just so that people are aware, this is not something that you can do with an electric kettle - they are for water only.  Anything else would damage the electrical heating system. I make my tea in a pot or mug.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kand said:

Would a soda stream be a good gift for someone who only drinks flavored waters? This relative “doesn’t like water” and their staple drink all day long are flavored waters, usually zero calorie type. He won’t go for adding fruit to it, I’m sure, so there would need to be a different, simple way for him to add flavor that would taste as good.  I almost think this would be a good gift for him, but then I wonder if he wouldn’t just rather keep drinking his bottles and cans of whatever it is he drinks.🤔

Do you have a brand recommendation or link?

i’ve been trying to think what the reason would be for this law, and I’m stumped. What’s the reason for this?

It would be good if they like sparkling water, flavored or not. If they like flavored water but not carbonated water then it probably wouldn't be appreciated.

• Like 1

I bought the Vitamix Aer Disc Jar which is their new Aerator disc that whips foam for $99 a while back and it has provided a little luxury for us during these Stay-at-Home times. We never go anywhere except for grocery and my husband has a daily Latte habit and my child is used to drinking hot chocolate at our local coffee shop all winter. So, now, I whip them out on a daily basis with the aerator disc of my Vitamix jar. I was going to purchase an european stick blender with an aerator disc for this purpose and then this jar popped up on my media feed and I bought it instead. They have a promotion every few months for $99 though the MSRP is $145 (watch out for frequent amazon sales for $99 as well). Costco sometimes has it when they have a vitamix roadshow but there have been none after Covid restrictions.

I have also used it to make salad dressing, Dalgona coffee, whipped cream for dessert, muddled strawberry lemonade, whipped aquafaba for baking and such things with it often. I am happy with how it performs. I heard of others making hollandaise sauce with great results, but, I don't eat eggs, so I have no experience with it. It fits all full size Vitamix blenders (I have an old 5200 series and it worked fine with it).

For us, it paid for itself in the first month with all the lattes we were making.

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/shop/aer-disc-container

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/vitamix-aer-disc-review-article

Edited by mathnerd
autocorrect wants me to say Vitamin instead of Vitamix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Just so that people are aware, this is not something that you can do with an electric kettle - they are for water only.  Anything else would damage the electrical heating system. I make my tea in a pot or mug.

Yes!  I only did water in my kettle.  I switched to adding the teabags when I got the glass tea pot.  I think our extremely hard water even filtered, killed my kettle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

I don't know that I have anything to add.

I love, love, love my electric kettle.  I've had one for 20+ years.

My dh and kids love the soda stream.  My son bought some flavorings but rarely uses them.  

I have a XL heating pad that I use every night in winter.  Love it.

What brand is your heating pad?

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

What brand is your heating pad?

It is a serta and similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/Serta-Electric-Heated-Warming-Abdomen/dp/B00G1X4A06/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=serta+heating+pad+for+feet&qid=1606881628&sr=8-5

I would probably get something very different next time.  My first one was perfect but stopped working.  One issue with this one is the pocket.   It mostly gets in my way and I lay the pad length wise up my legs.  Also, the attachment thingy is on the pad.. it is very bulky and uncomfortable so I have to drape that part of my pad over the edge of the bed.    

I've looked and looked at it seems that all the newer pads have an electrical connection right on the pad and then a long cord to plug it into the wall.  My first one didn't have that connection just the cord and it was much more comfortable.

But, even with those hassles I love my XL heating pad.  I take it with me when I go away (well, back when we could go away).  

• Like 1