Menu

Am I wrong? You can tell me, I can take it

SereneHome

Went grocery shopping this morning. Standing at check out line, taking out my groceries, one of the workers comes up almost right next to me to stock candy bars. I step away, she looks at me funny, so I tell her that she is way too close - this is not social distancing. Her response ' "Oh you are wearing a mask, you are fine"

The thing is - while I wear masks bc I have to, I very much believe in distancing. 6ft is not far enough away for me. I try my hardest to stay away from people when I am shopping.

So....was she right? Since both of us we wearing masks....

p.s. there are signs all over the store about being 6 ft apart and masks are mandatory

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

It's both masks and distancing. However, I think AM is right that the talking is riskier than moving in and out quickly.

I think the general rule is that it takes about 10 minutes of proximity within six feet to transmit, though I am sure that depends on factors like whether the person is coughing or a superspreader.

I had a worker do that to me in WM so I just gave her the WTH look and moved away, got the message across with no talking required 🙂 Now, the time involved it probably is not that much risk but combining social distancing and masking is the goal, not one or the other.

7 minutes ago, kand said:

You were right. I wonder if people working in stores through this have gotten used to being closer to people than they should be. I experienced similar last time I went grocery shopping—I asked a worker a question from a distance and she stood up and walked to within two feet of me to answer. I felt very uncomfortable with that, but I’ve seen the employees there frequently stand next to each other while stocking shelves, so I’m thinking their personal bubbles have shrunk compared to the rest of us and they’re not aware. 

Yes, I totally believe that.

In general, I think people got very very lax with distancing. I think bc many think like this lady - masks prevent everything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

she was wrong - but I'd also question just how much leeway for stocking her manager is giving her.  register "aisles" should be stocked when there are no customers at them.

It wasn't an aisle, it was candy bar thingy next to the register.

But pretty much every aisle in the store had people stocking things.....

You were right and it was good to nicely step back and say something because perhaps she'll wait next time.

In that tiny instance maybe everything was fine but we do need a new normal of being apart whenever possible.  Kindly saying something can help.

My grocery store shopping feels totally normal because they have embraced the new norms and are clear and consistent.  Customers follow their lead.  It all feels safe and friendly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

You were right.

I’ve found that there are lots of people who really do think they’re being nice by telling ME that it’s okay if I choose not to follow proper procedures.  Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch, I’m not looking for permission to let YOU get ME sick.

Yes, this. 

I am getting my hair cut today; haven't been in a salon since January. I specifically chose the salon based on their extensive precautions. I don't want to go somewhere where they are "graciously" allowing people to choose not to mask, or capitulate on waiting outside because it's 9 million degrees right now, or whatever other thing. They are serious about their COVID precautions and that is why I am going there. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

It wasn't an aisle, it was candy bar thingy next to the register.

But pretty much every aisle in the store had people stocking things.....

I got that.  depending upon the store - they're about four feet long - just enough to have you staring at candy or junk while waiting for the cashier to finish with the customer in front of you.  I didn't know what else to call it.

eta: unless you're referring to how target is - everything is open, with the candy abutting the back of the register stations.

Edited by gardenmom5

46 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I think the general rule is that it takes about 10 minutes of proximity within six feet to transmit, though I am sure that depends on factors like whether the person is coughing or a superspreader.

I'm wondering about this. I wish we had more information. Is there any research out there about how much time it takes to transmit, if both parties are wearing a mask? Like in my school where the restrictions have been reduced to 3 feet, but with masks. 🤔 With a mask, does it take 30 minutes within 6 feet to transmit? An hour? Or maybe we don't know that yet.

IMO, this virus is still new, and there's so much that isn't known about it.

So, I think you are right -- "belt AND suspenders", just to be sure.  I mean, what's the downside of a little distance between strangers in a store?

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I'm wondering about this. I wish we had more information. Is there any research out there about how much time it takes to transmit, if both parties are wearing a mask? Like in my school where the restrictions have been reduced to 3 feet, but with masks. 🤔 With a mask, does it take 30 minutes within 6 feet to transmit? An hour? Or maybe we don't know that yet.

I have no idea. Early on when travel was shutting down but people were still trying to get home from being away, the CDC had information about how risky it was to be near someone on a plane, and they might've had other scenarios too. I haven't kept up with those specifics.

I'd be hella peeved if someone walked right up to me to stock candy bars while I was checking out even if there wasn't a pandemic. If I am checking out on lane 9,  no one else should be by the candy bars in lane 9. I've never had a worker try to stock a lane that was actually being used by customers, and I'd be taken aback if they did. Too close, my friend, too close. 

• Like 2

If she can stock and you can move while waiting your turn, without holding up the line ver much, I think the situation was ideal. Only her response to your comment was off. Maybe she should have just thanked you for giving her room? They HAVE to work while the customers are there, so her risk is much higher than the OPs. If she’s been working all through lock-down, she might have much more confidence in masking than the average twice-monthly shopper who has been at home. Her choice is probably either desensitize to the risk or be wildly stressed every day. 

• Like 2

She may be right that two masks does a lot of good, and, when distancing is not possible, both people masking is considered sufficient.

But she is wrong in that you expressed discomfort and she disregarded your preference. Among strangers, among friends, and especially between 'the customer' and a staff member: the rule is always you can't be standing close to someone unless they are okay with that. If they are not okay, it's not okay. They don't need a good reason, or any reason. Asking for space is enough. She ignored your request and that's not okay.

And, for me, 6 feet and masks is my preference indoors too. It's perfectly reasonable. The idea that masks help when distancing isn't possible is a good thing, but not an excuse not to distance.

I'm sort of shocked this is the first time this has happened to you.

It happens to me at least 10 times every time I go grocery shopping.    Everyone is very lax about social distancing with mandatory masks.     

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zebra said:

I'm sort of shocked this is the first time this has happened to you.

It happens to me at least 10 times every time I go grocery shopping.    Everyone is very lax about social distancing with mandatory masks.     

Oh it's not.....I just usually walk away, from other customers, from store workers. But I was kind of "stuck" of only being able to move so far away. And I still wouldn't have said anything, but when I moved, she seemed perplexed so I stupidly said something...

4 hours ago, SereneHome said:

Went grocery shopping this morning. Standing at check out line, taking out my groceries, one of the workers comes up almost right next to me to stock candy bars. I step away, she looks at me funny, so I tell her that she is way too close - this is not social distancing. Her response ' "Oh you are wearing a mask, you are fine"

The thing is - while I wear masks bc I have to, I very much believe in distancing. 6ft is not far enough away for me. I try my hardest to stay away from people when I am shopping.

So....was she right? Since both of us we wearing masks....

p.s. there are signs all over the store about being 6 ft apart and masks are mandatory

Nope you’re not wrong.  In fact this is one of the few legitimate arguments about masks that it makes people more careless about distancing.  Apparently overall it’s about the same though because some people become more aware with the visible mask.

8 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

If she can stock and you can move while waiting your turn, without holding up the line ver much, I think the situation was ideal.  

She wasn't waiting for her turn, though, she was starting to check out - so I picture it as her in the lane putting her groceries on the belt, and the worker also in the same lane stocking candy. Not candy on an endcap before you enter the lane, but the candy that's actually in the lane, that you stare at as you check out until you break down and buy a giant Kit Kat. 

You can't move while actually checking out. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

She wasn't waiting for her turn, though, she was starting to check out - so I picture it as her in the lane putting her groceries on the belt, and the worker also in the same lane stocking candy. Not candy on an endcap before you enter the lane, but the candy that's actually in the lane, that you stare at as you check out until you break down and buy a giant Kit Kat. 

You can't move while actually checking out. 

Ahhh, I see. I pictured the employee sliding in between her and the customer at the checkout before she could unload. Here, the customer at the register’s stuff has to completely clear the belt, they checkout, leave the area  and then the cashier wipes down the belt before the person on deck can begin to unload. A quick worker could totally stock some candy in that time without slowing up the process. 

You did the right (and safe) thing.

We were at funeral services for my FIL the other night.  Masks were required and there were signs up for social distancing.  NO ONE followed the social distancing.  It was horrifying to me.  It was a large group of people all huddled together in a room talking, hugging (3 people hugged DH and one even said, "I know I shouldn't do this, but..."  showing pictures, laughing, crying...most weren't wearing masks correctly or took them off to eat/drink (why did the funeral home have a tray of cookies SITTING OUT in the OPEN???).  I couldn't focus on why we were there at all, all I could think about was how to stay safe - I kept backing away from everyone and finally gave up and went outside.  I didn't care if they thought I was rude - my family can't get sick right now because we have a big trip to take my daughter to college in two weeks.  People outside would just take their masks off and talk.  I'll be shocked if no one gets sick from that and was so angry at the funeral home for allowing it.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Sad 2

You were right. I would have stood well clear, and nicely said that I could wait until she had completed her task, since the store clearly posts distancing rules. Or I would have left. Yeah, I probably would have just left. I don’t do confrontations of any kind well, and these days, you never know who is going to get angry and lash out at you for your opinions!