Menu

Food security

Murphy101

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

No idea but @Chrysalis Academy might know. San Leandro Costco is really crowded though the few times we went there.

i haven't been, but according to local reports it was. We've been to TJs, Safeway, and Oliver's Market locally, and they were all crazy hectic. No toilet paper anywhere.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chrysalis Academy said:

. No toilet paper anywhere.

I am quite far south from you but if you need toilet paper let me know. Our “stockpile” is the Target cheapest house brand one.

ETA: My husband told me Grocery Outlet has no more toilet paper for the two we went to today.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Thanks 1

I went to costco today (at about 1:30pm) and they had both water and toilet paper.  I didn't buy either, as we are doing fine in those areas, but I did need to buy more food. My college kids are coming home this week and that means we need way more food.  Plus my fridge is dead (waiting on a part - hopefully coming this week) and having just a dorm fridge to fill is not helping. I really wanted to buy eggs, but I just don't have room for them. So I bought snacky things and freezer things and flour and I felt better.  I don't believe the supply chain will break down, but there's something about being in a crowd of shoppers that makes me feel the need to buy more almonds and granola bars!

On the base facebook page today the commissary announced early hours to help the young Airmen living in the dorms, many of which are away from home for the first time and are having serious trouble finding the food items they need - most don't have cars and can only buy what they can carry home, and everyone is buying out the store all day. So when they are able to shop after work in the evening, they are out of luck on many items.  Those early hours before the store is open to the public should help them buy some essentials.  But as soon as I read that post, I saw another post on the spouse page saying "if you want to restock be sure to arrive at that early time for your best chance of buying everything" totally defeating the purpose of the early hours to help those in need. 

• Like 1

I have 3 main grocery options, and was feeling pretty good about the whole pick-up thing.  One chain suspended their pick-up option. (???). Walmart has extremely limited slots being released. (My app currently shows 6 options for tomorrow, and that’s all you can click on. No future slots.) Shoprite is booked until 6pm tomorrow, but has plenty of openings after.

If Shoprite *stays like that, I’ll feel good. If I notice them getting jammed, I’m going to get very nervous.  I will avoid going *inside* a store for as long as humanly possible. The three firefighters in my house are 3 of few, and our township can’t really spare them.

Also, frankly, just about everyone here has a gun, and they don’t all have serious training/experience/practice.  I’d prefer to not be in enclosed spaces with them.

Shoprite is apparently limiting meat purchases, and that put me a little bit on edge as a larger than normal family.  On the bright side, I have one vegetarian and have been experimenting with tofu, which has the added bonus of lasting longer in the fridge.  I’ve even experimented with *making tofu, but it really isn’t something I relish doing out of necessity. 😜 

Of course, the thing with pick-up is that “per person” is “per car”.  No real getting around quantity limits that way.

ETA: Oh, and eggs. SR also has a limit on eggs. 4-6 kids can go through a lot of eggs! 

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chrysalis Academy said:

i haven't been, but according to local reports it was. We've been to TJs, Safeway, and Oliver's Market locally, and they were all crazy hectic. No toilet paper anywhere.

Ugh. Thank you for the report!

My parents have refused to listen to me until a couple of days ago. They haven’t done any extra grocery shopping, haven’t yet stocked up on meds or supplies, and as of last week were still planning to go on their spring Europe trip. SMH.

Dad is putting off a Costco run until tomorrow (why??!!). I’m so afraid the shelves will be bare and he will have to fight through crowds. He’s in excellent health but at 84 he shouldn’t be out at all any more. 😞 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, whitehawk said:

For others who live in a metro area with nearby farms, look and see if there's a CSA or online farmers' market you can join. Mine delivers once a week. The supply chain is short and will not be easily disrupted. Some offer local meat, eggs, milk, baked goods, and/or fresh flowers in addition to produce.

Here in the NC Triangle, we have

and some others.

Hungry Harvest serves several metro areas on the East Coast.

If you have a washing machine, water and cloth can be a reusable substitute for TP.

Thanks for this.  We've recently moved to NC, and this motivated me to check around.  I feel better supporting local farmers and having some hope that a short supply chain will keep fresh food more available.  

• Like 1

Dh happens to work at a toilet paper factory- no kidding. They already run 24/7/365, so they can’t really up their output. And they are always short staffed because they just can’t find people willing to show up every day & able to pass a drug test. 

They’re doing the best they can.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I have 3 main grocery options, and was feeling pretty good about the whole pick-up thing.  One chain suspended their pick-up option. (???). Walmart has extremely limited slots being released. (My app currently shows 6 options for tomorrow, and that’s all you can click on. No future slots.) Shoprite is booked until 6pm tomorrow, but has plenty of openings after.

If Shoprite *stays like that, I’ll feel good. If I notice them getting jammed, I’m going to get very nervous.  I will avoid going *inside* a store for as long as humanly possible. The three firefighters in my house are 3 of few, and our township can’t really spare them.

Also, frankly, just about everyone here has a gun, and they don’t all have serious training/experience/practice.  I’d prefer to not be in enclosed spaces with them.

Shoprite is apparently limiting meat purchases, and that put me a little bit on edge as a larger than normal family.  On the bright side, I have one vegetarian and have been experimenting with tofu, which has the added bonus of lasting longer in the fridge.  I’ve even experimented with *making tofu, but it really isn’t something I relish doing out of necessity. 😜 

Of course, the thing with pick-up is that “per person” is “per car”.  No real getting around quantity limits that way.

ETA: Oh, and eggs. SR also has a limit on eggs. 4-6 kids can go through a lot of eggs! 

Which ShopRite?  My usual one had no car side pickup available at all for the next week and that's where the options stopped.  

I went first thing this morning, which wasn't as early as I wanted to but they are no longer open 24 hours like they used to be, and they had almost no eggs, no bread, no tp, no Smartfood popcorn (??).   Lots and lots of milk, I didn't look at meat.  

Since you mentioned guns I'm going to assume you're not in NJ.

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

Dad is putting off a Costco run until tomorrow (why??!!). I’m so afraid the shelves will be bare and he will have to fight through crowds. He’s in excellent health but at 84 he shouldn’t be out at all any more. 😞 

Since the shelter in place starts today, might not be a bad idea to do the Costco run tomorrow. Besides it might still be raining today. If your parents aren’t particular about food, there really is a good amount on the shelves. For example, ground/minced turkey was sold out around 12:30 yesterday at Costco Coleman Ave, San Jose but there was other minced meat left. 

We went yesterday when the press conference about shelter in place starts because we know people would head to the supermarkets after seeing the shelter in place news. People were topping up mainly yesterday as many had bought a lot when schools closed, and then more when they watch Dr Fauci mention 8 weeks in the news. So this round of top up is milder. We see people pushing carts of comfort food like fruit juice (the caprisun kind), frozen pizzas, bread, fruits. We bought hot dogs, hot dog buns, sausages, jicama, mushrooms. 

• Like 3

I did a big run so I don't have to go out again for a couple of weeks if at all possible. I was afraid to go to the Costco so I did the Giant. Out of some key things, but like weird key things. Oatmeal, onions, frozen veggies. They had tp, beans, rice, etc.

Dh reads the news for a living. He said that he read a bunch of stuff about the grocery supply chains that was pretty reassuring.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Which ShopRite?  My usual one had no car side pickup available at all for the next week and that's where the options stopped.  

I went first thing this morning, which wasn't as early as I wanted to but they are no longer open 24 hours like they used to be, and they had almost no eggs, no bread, no tp, no Smartfood popcorn (??).   Lots and lots of milk, I didn't look at meat.  

Since you mentioned guns I'm going to assume you're not in NJ.

No, I’m in the Pocono region.

• Like 1

I live in a small college town and just read some things that they are doing.   The school districts are giving free lunch and breakfast for any child under 18 everyday.  Maybe this would a good resource for big families to do. 

Then we have 3 places to get food besides that.  One a free pantry, one a church that will give meals and shelf stable food, and another a bar and eatery that is making free meals. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HeighHo said:

The School lunch program is in operation here, anyone under age 19 is eligible, they do not have to be enrolled in public school in the district.  Look at school district website for info. Totally free, but may cost more in gas to get there than the meals are worth if you only have one child - my district is trying to mitigate that by giving out 2 breakfasts & 2 lunches per child per visit. Child does not need to be with parent to pick up meals. 

Smart.  They should all do that.   

Ours didn't say if the kids have to be there or not.  I wonder if they do.  

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Since the shelter in place starts today, might not be a bad idea to do the Costco run tomorrow. Besides it might still be raining today. If your parents aren’t particular about food, there really is a good amount on the shelves. For example, ground/minced turkey was sold out around 12:30 yesterday at Costco Coleman Ave, San Jose but there was other minced meat left. 

We went yesterday when the press conference about shelter in place starts because we know people would head to the supermarkets after seeing the shelter in place news. People were topping up mainly yesterday as many had bought a lot when schools closed, and then more when they watch Dr Fauci mention 8 weeks in the news. So this round of top up is milder. We see people pushing carts of comfort food like fruit juice (the caprisun kind), frozen pizzas, bread, fruits. We bought hot dogs, hot dog buns, sausages, jicama, mushrooms. 

Thank you. It’s hard to not worry when I’m 3000 miles away and they have a tendency to not take things seriously. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I am quite far south from you but if you need toilet paper let me know. Our “stockpile” is the Target cheapest house brand one.

ETA: My husband told me Grocery Outlet has no more toilet paper for the two we went to today.

Thanks, Arcadia. We have maybe two days worth left, but I'm definitely starting to sweat it. Only TP, we're fine on everything else. It's so weird that this is the one thing that has been hoarded to the point of complete unavailability locally.  I'm concerned because we're probably going to get the shelter in place order today or tomorrow, and while I do consider TP a necessity, I'm hoping to not have to go from store to store to store looking for it . . . 

• Like 1

Our schools are using the busses to drop of food along their usual routes. There are 10 stops in our small town, plus of course the food pantry and so on. Our state rep was very proactive in ensuring federal funding, and the district has made food security a priority. 

• Like 5

Just wanted to update that I did the big grocery run for my friend with the food allergies and was able to find everything on her list, including the brand-specific items. One of those I had to text her and ask if a different flavor, but same brand, was okay (it was) because choices were limited, but otherwise, found it all. 

Places seem to be better stocked in the morning than afternoon here, and several chains in our area are opening early for "senior shopping" which seems nice. 

Schools here just extended their closure/online until April 10th, but they are doing the free breakfasts/lunches (pick-up, but they have said they'll only give out one per kid who is in the car with you, last I checked....). You don't have to be enrolled, though; no questions, no paperwork. 

Things do seem to be restocking near us, bit-by-bit. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Arcadia, that is what our shops have looked like for two weeks.

My nearest Safeway was okay until yesterday’s shelter in place announcement. We have food because we did a Costco run yesterday while Dr Sara Cody was announcing the 6 counties (now 7 counties as Santa Cruz county joined in) shelter in place.

Our large school district has opened up six schools as meal distribution points...drive through or walk up. They are using the summer meal rules—any child 0-18 can get good, but the child must be present.

Yogurt, milk, cereal, fruit for breakfast...sandwiches and the like for lunch. We haven’t gone and they haven’t posted the menu yet. It should be up soon.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I feel like I’ve got enough food for a month at least, but I would like to go to the store once more to get produce and dairy before  our area gets hit. 

This seems silly, but can I freeze yogurt? I mean, I know I can, but does it keep its consistency once it thaws, if I want to eat it plain, instead of a smoothie? One place said it thaws to a cottage cheese feel? I also read that I can make it last longer in the fridge, past it’s date, if it is placed upside down. True?

I don’t know about putting it upside down, but yogurt in my experience does keep for awhile after the date.

DH went to the grocery store early this morning. He was able to get one loaf of (expensive) Italian bread, a gallon of 1% milk (normally use 2%), some store brand canned soup, chips, corned beef and cabbage, tissues, bananas, and ground beef. He went to four different stores looking for toilet paper and paper towels without luck, but we're OK for a short while. We're good for the short term, but were debating on whether we should consider getting the bagged meals being provided by the school system at some point if this continues. They specifically said homeschooled students were welcome. DH is worried about his job, but his boss says they probably have enough work for one month.

I'm very worried about my parents who are high risk due to age and health. They don't keep much food in the house and Mom told me they ate "a can of peas" for dinner last night and they only eat one meal a day. I tried to convince her to order pizza or something and I may have to start having food sent to their house since they aren't close enough for me to take meals.

• Like 1

We are in one of the counties under quarantine in CA. This morning there were a bunch of posts on FB showing people lined up around the buildings at Costco and Winco. Lots of people looking for meat and eggs posting too. Much as I'm tempted to go Thursday night, I'll try to hold out til the farmers market Saturday and wait til at least next week to go in to a store. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I can't understand that rule.  

As a special educator, and a parent of a medically fragile/disabled child, I know so many kids who shouldn't be out, and many families who don't own transportation that their kids can use.  

If someone, of any age, is desperate enough for food to travel to a food distribution point, we should just feed them.  

Right?!!  They have options, including using the usual bus routes (our entire district is bussed) that they aren't using.  Supposedly one can just drive through to pick up the meals, so the child doesn't have to be out of the vehicle, but frankly I have no business being out and neither do 3/4 kids.  Thankfully we are in the position to be able to buy our own food.  

People are using NextDoor and other apps right now to try to crowdsource toilet paper, diapers, wipes, and food because stores are such a mess right now.  Thankfully people are willing to do door drops for others, but it's a mess.  Part of me wonders if it is a pretext to open schools back up.  It certain was one they used to not shut schools once we had students showing up with covid-19.

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Our large school district has opened up six schools as meal distribution points...drive through or walk up. They are using the summer meal rules—any child 0-18 can get good, but the child must be present.

Yogurt, milk, cereal, fruit for breakfast...sandwiches and the like for lunch. We haven’t gone and they haven’t posted the menu yet. It should be up soon.

I saw a post on FB by someone who helped pass out food today for the first day of these to-go school lunches. She said they had a low turnout despite being at apartment complexes around the city with a high number of low income families. Some parents said they couldn't go because of things like needing to pick them up on lunch breaks, having to walk and not wanting to drag the children along, having disabled children, or the kids at babysitters. Based on feedback, the state department of education has already dropped the requirement that children be present.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mom2scouts said:

DH went to the grocery store early this morning. He was able to get one loaf of (expensive) Italian bread, a gallon of 1% milk (normally use 2%), some store brand canned soup, chips, corned beef and cabbage, tissues, bananas, and ground beef. He went to four different stores looking for toilet paper and paper towels without luck, but we're OK for a short while. We're good for the short term, but were debating on whether we should consider getting the bagged meals being provided by the school system at some point if this continues. They specifically said homeschooled students were welcome. DH is worried about his job, but his boss says they probably have enough work for one month.

I'm very worried about my parents who are high risk due to age and health. They don't keep much food in the house and Mom told me they ate "a can of peas" for dinner last night and they only eat one meal a day. I tried to convince her to order pizza or something and I may have to start having food sent to their house since they aren't close enough for me to take meals.

Can you find somewhere near your parents that offers free meals?  Maybe something that could even be delivered.   Or yes send them food. 

• Like 1

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21443F?taid=5e7182e7f629ab00016ac44c&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

this is concerning I think.  Here in Australia we also have a lot of immigrant labour involved in farming.  There could be real labour shortages for harvesting, picking etc.

it also occurred to dh and I when we were talking last night that there’s a potential for shortages with chemicals used for sprays and supply chain issues for fertiliser.  These things won’t impact now but could impact next year if they aren’t identified and planned for successfully.  

We went to the free meals for kid thing today.  I thought it would be fun for the kids when there isn't much going on right now.  Kind of like going out to eat.  Anyhow even though in all the statements that they posted about it being for all kids 18 and under, we couldn't get a meal.   I have 5 kids 4 of whom attend a virtual public school not in our city.   The location to pickup was at a school and they said it was only for students that attend their school.   Which is an elementary school.   So how is that for all children 18 and under?   Just frustrated.   I can't stand when there is confusing, missing, unclear information in emails.   

Oh  well I don't think we will do it anyway.  There is now a confirmed case in my county.  The people who came up to the car (2) were unmasked and no gloves.  They got right in the window really close and wanted me to write down things.   Um this doesn't seem like a safe thing to do right now.  

• Sad 3

They seem to be begging people to take the lunches from the busses around here. The bus comes and stops on our street, but sadly, none of my kids are interested. They tried the free summer lunches handed out at the library and thought the free school lunches were the grossest thing ever. As an example, weird cheese and cheap ham on a hamburger bun, with oversweetened applesauce and milk. I apparently have kids with discriminating tastes. Boo. I’d like if I could rely on these! I hope it’s not being wasted. 

Just now, SamanthaCarter said:

They seem to be begging people to take the lunches from the busses around here. The bus comes and stops on our street, but sadly, none of my kids are interested. They tried the free summer lunches handed out at the library and thought the free school lunches were the grossest thing ever. As an example, weird cheese and cheap ham on a hamburger bun, with oversweetened applesauce and milk. I apparently have kids with discriminating tastes. Boo. I’d like if I could rely on these! I hope it’s not being wasted. 

I have no experience (see my post above), but maybe they are better?   I don't think they could serve the same things they do over summer.   I would have them do it.  Even if they only eat half of it, that makes less of an expense for your and your stash lasts longer.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

What I cannot figure out is how so many people have so much time and $$$ to keep our local stores at peak capacity. I mean, it’s been going on for a week at least- at some point I’m wondering how much credit card debt is getting laid out on the stockpiling. We do not have a large enough population to keep all of these stores this packed 12 hours a day! 

14 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

In this area, the few times I have been out this week, what I have found is that it's not packed for 12 solid hours.  What seems to be happening is that people line up when stores open, which creates an initial opening rush.  It's that initial rush that cleans out the TP, the boxes of pasta, etc.  But then later in the day, there aren't as many people.  Of course, then what happens is those people who showed up at 3pm on Tuesday, they then realize that if they get there when the store opens they have a better shot at getting what they were looking for.

Yes, this. 

I've been in when it's fairly empty (around 10 am, when the initial rush is over and the off work crowd hasn't shown up yet), and when it was "crowded" (5-ish pm, and while it was most lines open, and 3 people in line....that was the worst of it at that time). So it doesn't seem to be *staying* crowded. 

Even the morning lines don't look like the Harvey lines on my side of town, yet, although that could be b/c at the worst of the Harvey lines we only had one store that was open over here, vs. now everyone is open, and everyone is having that "first thing in the morning" line.....

Our schools are dropping off food via buses, but nobody can tell you what time the buses are coming.  At all.  And our bus stop is around the corner, so I can't see it.  So unless we literally stood at the bus stop all day, I don't see how we would collect this.  

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Our schools are dropping off food via buses, but nobody can tell you what time the buses are coming.  At all.  And our bus stop is around the corner, so I can't see it.  So unless we literally stood at the bus stop all day, I don't see how we would collect this.  

No honking? My region’s public busses are great at honking when they are at bus stops where they are the only service line and people are sitting in the bus shelters texting on their phones. 

14 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

No honking? My region’s public busses are great at honking when they are at bus stops where they are the only service line and people are sitting in the bus shelters texting on their phones. 

Nope.  No honking.  Although the Bud Light truck was driving around the neighborhood, stopping and honking and acting like an ice cream truck today.  Which, on the one hand, eww, Bud Light.  But also impressed with business acumen.  Now, a margarita truck.....

• Haha 5

I went to the store to get stamps and a birthday card for my mil. It was crazy!

i asked the dg lady about their trucks and she said all deliveries are as normal, but people are panic buying and cleaning them out as they put out the food. Potatoes are another hot item in my area.

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Our HEB's parking lot has stayed at max capacity every single time I've driven by even mid-day. I honestly think I'd have better luck at Sam's when/if I need to go. They were no where near as packed as HEB when I drove past today going into town. Right now we're either going to or picking up from restaurants to try and help keep them in business as much as possible, and not affect our personal/stores, but one family isn't going to be able to, so it's a matter of time before they close at this rate. 

If this crazy keeps going, I told dh we need a generator and an additional deep freeze and I'll just order a beef quarter or something with the generator as security. It's getting really hot quite early here, and Hurricane season is right around the corner which is going to add an extra element of fun and games into this. Quarantine!! Evacuate!!!

Stay cool Gulf of Mexico, stay cool. We need a boring year in the tropics. 

Wow; it's not quite that bad on our side of town. Yowsa. 

Yes to hurricane season being calm; please, Lord. I was just thinking this morning "I'm so glad this isn't during hurricane season...." and then I thought...."Holy cow, though, it could maybe last that long......" 

We're considering a generator too. I hadn't thought of an *extra* deep freeze. I feel like we're okay for a while with the one we have. Especially if we add a generator. I am considering locking it, though, as it's in our garage. And locking the "can use the remote to open the garage door" feature on our door opener, as well. Just in case things get super crazy.  (we had food stolen from a deep freeze many years ago, in a different part of town, in the middle of the night, so.....locking this one seems maybe not terrible overkill.....). 

We're trying to balance restaurant take-out with food-at-home just because, while DH does currently have his job, and his company should be fine for the long haul, and he should be one of the last to go if not, he *is* in the oil industry, so.......we're being cautious. 

My biggest worry at the moment is convincing DH we should definitely NOT "buy one if you see one" on things that are going towards empty, until we actually need them. That's the kind of panic buying that is keeping them going to empty. No, I'm not going to buy our limit on bread, just 'cause they have it, when we have 4 loaves in the freezer.  When I pull out the last one, or maybe 2nd-to-last one, then I'll look for it. (and meanwhile, I'm planning on a few loaf pans and bread recipes....)

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

In this area, the few times I have been out this week, what I have found is that it's not packed for 12 solid hours.  What seems to be happening is that people line up when stores open, which creates an initial opening rush.  It's that initial rush that cleans out the TP, the boxes of pasta, etc.  But then later in the day, there aren't as many people.  Of course, then what happens is those people who showed up at 3pm on Tuesday, they then realize that if they get there when the store opens they have a better shot at getting what they were looking for.

FWIW, that's not the case here at all. I went out early Sunday morning and this morning, not long after the store's opening time. Each time the store had just a small handful of customers. A lot of the shelves were low or empty. There was some beef and chicken both mornings, and on Sunday there were a few loaves of bread and some gallons and half gallons of milk. This morning there was still chicken and beef to choose from, but no cold cuts/bacon/sausage, no bread, and no cow's milk at all (although there was plenty of plant based milk to choose from). No TP either morning.

Texan---we're in week 3 of stores being bare.  Don't want to freak you out, but this is WAY beyond any hurricane prep we saw.  This has been way worse than Harvey.

Stores re-stock at night. If you want to get stuff, you have to be in line before store opening, and when it's gone for the day, it's gone.  There are a number of things that just aren't getting re-stocked any more either.

Dh, poor sweet summer child, went out the other day looking for food at 4:30 pm.  He came home empty handed. His choices were corn starch and rice flour. 

This is SO beyond rational thought.  The lines are way worse than the gas lines post-Harvey.

If you can still buy a freezer, buy one.  Freezers have been gone for a while too....I mean, they are on "indefinite back order". 

• Sad 1

For those with Garage Door Opener anxiety as you have freezers full of food and other supplies stored in your garage my sweet husband hooked our garage door up via a surge protector so we can switch the little lighted switch off and the door can not be opened by remote.  When we want to raise the door we hit the switch and we have a functioning opener .  Dh sort of likes it and that might continue being hooked up!

I am embarrassed to say that I was having toilet paper nightmares as I had it in the garage so I moved it into my closet.  With the tp in the house and the garage door turned off for sure I am sleeping better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

What I cannot figure out is how so many people have so much time and $$$ to keep our local stores at peak capacity. I mean, it’s been going on for a week at least- at some point I’m wondering how much credit card debt is getting laid out on the stockpiling. We do not have a large enough population to keep all of these stores this packed 12 hours a day! 

This is a bit conspiracy ish bit I don’t think stockpiling is the whole story.  There’s a shortage of baby formula which is an ongoing hot topic in Aus because people buy to send to China.  Anyway there was a crate being sent to Hong Kong and a comment that the demand from China was exceptionally high four weeks ago.  I do think stockpiling is the main driver.  But there are other factors only its best not to draw attention to them or people panic and stockpile more making them problem worse.  On the stockpiling side one of the guys from DH volunteer thing is now stressing because they bought a huge amount is food (5x our weekly bill) and now he’s worrying his business will be hit by recession and they won’t be able to pay off the credit card.